PDA

View Full Version : Have you registered your Thai SIM card?

Jellybean
March 4th, 2015, 16:23
I must have missed the memo on this one, as I donтАЩt recall reading anything about it.

My boyfriend informed me yesterday that, as part of a national campaign to prevent mobile telephone theft, all Thai SIM cards have to be registered within the next 2 months. If they are not registered then the number will become invalid and cut off.
I cannot vouch for the bona-fides of this information and wonder if any members can vouch for its veracity.

Today I went to my provider, DTAC at Silom Complex and said I wanted to register my SIM card. They asked for my mobile telephone to check the SIM. I also handed over my recent DTAC telephone/Internet bills and a card bearing my name with my Bangkok address in English and Thai.

I was also asked to provide my passport. The whole process took no more than a few minutes. Afterwards I received an acknowledgement on my тАШphone, which quoted my British passport number.

a447
March 4th, 2015, 16:43
I wonder, are they doing it to prevent theft, or does the government have something more sinister in mind?

Gaybutton
March 4th, 2015, 17:44
wonder if any members can vouch for its veracity.
Yes, it is true. It applies only to top-up cards such as 1-2-Call. If you have an account and receive a monthly bill, there is no registration requirement. What I don't know is how this will affect those of you who have an existing top-up card, but won't be in Thailand in time for the registration deadline. My guess is you would have to buy a new SIM card when you return to Thailand and register that number. I also don't know if it would be possible to late-register an existing number, after the deadline, upon arrival in Thailand and be able to get the number re-validated. The deadline is July 31.

According to the articles, failure to register your number would not cancel out your number entirely. Your phone would be usable only to receive calls.

If you're interested, there is a topic on my board that explains it: http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7025

egel
March 5th, 2015, 00:45
So where do I go to in Pattaya?

thaiguest
March 5th, 2015, 01:44

If you have "trueMove" you can register in their office between Tuk-Com and Friendship on Pattaya Tai Rd. Where "one-to-call" or "dtac" hang out in Pattaya don't know.

The purpose of this is security related /crime prevention related I've heard but it was my BIG BROTHER told me this and I don't always believe him.

Gaybutton
March 5th, 2015, 03:22
You can register at any 7-Eleven. In Pattaya those are not exactly difficult to find. You can also probably register a most phone shops. You can also register at the customer service desks at a Big-C or Tesco-Lotus. I believe you can also register at K-Bank branches. And the boys also should be able to tell you where you can register.

jvt22222
March 5th, 2015, 04:48
Took 2-3 minutes at AIS on ground floor of Central Festival .... Beach Road lower entrance across from McDonalds .... Need passport and telephone.

paperboy
March 5th, 2015, 06:31
hi everyone
might be a stupid question BUT, when i come every year, i get a pack from 7/11 with thai sim card and numbver i use it for 1 month then go home, been doing this for years, i dont want a perm number, only a number i can use while im there, so this has stopped??????????????'

Gaybutton
March 5th, 2015, 07:35
so this has stopped??????????????'
Not a stupid question at all. I'm guessing now: You probably don't have to bother with registering until the July 31 deadline. But even so, just take your passport along when you buy the SIM card and register the phone. Since it only takes a couple minutes to register, it's not exactly a major problem.

francois
March 5th, 2015, 10:18
Can register at TelWhiz at TukCom and BigC Extra in Pattaya or wherever they have a shop.

christianpfc
March 5th, 2015, 11:58
I will sit it out. If it's true, I can still register on the day it's put into force and I can't make calls.

Remember, years ago, there was a plan that users of internet cafes have to give their personal details?

francois
March 5th, 2015, 13:46
Try to register at 7-11 and get a blank stare. They have no idea what you are asking.

TOQ
March 5th, 2015, 14:20
Try to register at 7-11 and get a blank stare. They have no idea what you are asking.

I see I am not the only one. I got the same blank stare that you got. I registered mine at TeleWiz in Tukcom on March 1st. Since I have gotten 2 text messages in Thai saying that my phone is not registered. ??? Off to Central Festival I go it seems

Gaybutton
March 5th, 2015, 15:31
I got the same blank stare that you got.
Why am I not surprised? The article does say: "Registering new SIM cards using national ID cards or other means of official identification will be allowed at 7-Eleven convenience stores." Maybe they allow it, but nobody bothered telling that to any of the 7-Eleven staff.

I will sit it out. If it's true, I can still register on the day it's put into force and I can't make calls.
Why would you do that when it's so simple to register the phone? How do you know if you haven't registered by the deadline that you won't need a new telephone number if they won't accept late registrations?

Smiles
March 5th, 2015, 17:43
Checking in: Hua Hin still seems to be registration-free (SIM-wise) as far as I can make out. Add to that the incredibly speedy Extension, 90-Day, and Re-entry processes (or is that 'processi') and the clean ocean water lapping at my feet . . . . and it's HEAVEN down here!

I normally top up my phone on my bank's internet banking site, and it seems to working fine without any flashing red warning lights regarding getting thee to a registration booth.

cdnmatt
March 5th, 2015, 20:00
Ohhh, so maybe that's what the lady keeps blabbing about. I've been getting calls lately from some lady jammering away in Thai, and I can't understand what she's saying, but I do pick up the word "passport" during our litlte convos. Not many people have my phone number, so I'm assuming it's from the phone company. She's telling me to get down to the office, and register.

christianpfc
March 5th, 2015, 21:24
Why would you do that when it's so simple to register the phone? How do you know if you haven't registered by the deadline that you won't need a new telephone number if they won't accept late registrations?
I will register on the day I can't make a call. After the deadline you can still receive calls, which means the number and SIM are still active.

egel
March 8th, 2015, 01:55
Can register at TelWhiz at TukCom
I went there and the queue was massive.
Im taking Christians advice and forgetting it.

Gaybutton
March 8th, 2015, 05:12
Can register at TelWhiz at TukCom
I went there and the queue was massive.
There are TeleWiz shops all over town. You don't have to go to Tuk Com. You'll find them at Big-C, Big-C Extra, and Tesco-Lotus.

Also, christianpfc, you didn't answer my question. I asked why you're refusing to register. You said what you're going to do, but you didn't say why you are doing it.

Jellybean
March 8th, 2015, 12:57
Let me begin by thanking Gaybutton for his helpful and informative reply to my OP and the link to his board, where members here can find further information.

I shall be leaving Thailand at the end of April and doubt IтАЩll be back until November at the earliest. I therefore decided to register my Thai SIM to give myself peace of mind and the reassurance that my Thai SIM card will work on my return to Thailand. As I explained in my OP, it took only a few minutes of my time. Now, compare and contrast with my visits to the British Embassy and the Thai Immigration Office last week (which I posted about) which took up a considerable amount of my time and cost me a grand total of 8,040 baht. There is no cost and little time involved in registration, so it seems like a no brainer to me.

. . . Also, christianpfc, you didn't answer my question. I asked why you're refusing to register. You said what you're going to do, but you didn't say why you are doing it.
And, as to GaybuttonтАЩs question above. Well, I donтАЩt have any inside information, but the answer may lie in the title of the English nursery rhyme . . . Mary, Mary quite contrary. =))

March 8th, 2015, 13:18
Now, compare and contrast with my visits to the... the Thai Immigration Office last week (which I posted about) which took up a considerable amount of my time and cost me a grand total of 8,040 baht.That's what servants are for Jellybean; you just send your immigration lawyer's flunkey off and he'll do it all for you. Gentlemen such as ourselves have more more important things to do, like sodomising this week's intake of farm boys.

christianpfc
March 8th, 2015, 21:27
Also, christianpfc, you didn't answer my question. I asked why you're refusing to register. You said what you're going to do, but you didn't say why you are doing it.

I'm not refusing to register, I will wait if they change their mind. I recently noticed there were SMS in Thai language to my phone telling me about the necessity to register (all SMS in Thai I got before were advertising; I read them in a free moment which can be weeks after I receive them and then delete them). I correct my original statement: I will wait until shortly before the deadline and register then (still hoping this will be abandoned).

BonTong
March 10th, 2015, 18:53
If you want to check if your sim is registered already dial *151#. You get a message back confirming the last digits of the ID number (or passport) it is registered to - or, presumably, a message saying it's not registered if it isn't (mine was).

More info (http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/10/check-your-sim-cards-registration-do-or-die-deadline)

christianpfc
March 10th, 2015, 23:56
I shall be leaving Thailand at the end of April and doubt IтАЩll be back until November at the earliest. I therefore decided to register my Thai SIM to give myself peace of mind and the reassurance that my Thai SIM card will work on my return to Thailand.

Don't forget to check validity (*121# for my one-two-call, or search for .Balance in phone register).

Many years ago, I registered my SIM card in order not to lose the number should validity run out while I'm in Europe. It didn't help, I lost the number (it was not yet assigned to a new user, but out somewhere on a SIM card). At least they could copy phone directory from old SIM card to new SIM card.

LoveThailand
March 11th, 2015, 01:38
I read that SIM cards expire after 45 days of inactivity - could be different now after registration - not sure.

Smiles
March 11th, 2015, 07:30
I read that SIM cards expire after 45 days of inactivity - could be different now after registration - not sure.
I don't believe registering your SIM card has any bearing (baring? bareing?) on it's longevity.
Right now my 12-Call card is good to go until March 3, 2016, no matter how long the inactive time frame, which this year will be 2 months. The length of time left on a SIM card (at least with AIS) is a function of how much you add money to it: use it a lot and thus top it up a lot extends one's time frame outward ... that's a business decision on the part of AIS. The registration thing is a government game, but does not impact the SIM's use in any way other than it is either registered, or not registered.
If anyone has heard of other ~ more annoying ~ 'SIM events' happening along with the registration I'd definitely like to know.

LoveThailand
March 11th, 2015, 16:05
Some have 30 or 60 days validity and expire unless topped up or active. This could be a problem for guys who come on shorter visits and leave for home countries. There are a few discussions on TVF on the subject with many useful tips and questions.

Halfhansum
March 11th, 2015, 16:06
I only manage to get to Pattaya once a year for 3 weeks , and just get a new sim when there ..So do i now have to register this as well ?

christianpfc
March 11th, 2015, 19:36
Yes. (answer to post directly above)

Validy depends on many factors: which provider, which calling scheme, and how much you top up. I managed to keep my SIM valid for years with two holidays (3 weeks each) per year. Now, permanently living in Thailand, I have the maximum validity (1 year).

But when I go back to Europe once per year, my German SIM might be expired. Last year, I lost my phone number, which I used from 2000 to 2014! Fortunately, some years ago a law was introduced that you keep your balance. I just have to go to their shop and request a new SIM which will have the balance from the expired SIM and will be sent to me by post for free.

Halfhansum
March 11th, 2015, 21:59
Thanks Christian ...
Cant they just register it when you buy it, if you take your passport ?

llz
March 11th, 2015, 23:04
Not really on topic, but very useful for example for extanding you validity period, this webpage gives a list of Thai USSD keypress codes for your AIS 1-2-Call, True Move or DTAC Happy phone :
http://thaiprepaidcard.com/ussd-keypress-codes/