PDA

View Full Version : TRANSFERS TO PATTAYA

paborn
March 1st, 2015, 07:39
I'm a little confused by a note on the Copa hotel site - airport to hotel saloon 1,900 ghat - minibus - 2,700 bhat. In the US we never use the term saloon - I thought that was a private sedan and a minibus might be shared - but the price is higher. Can anyone clear this up? or tell me the best way ( private ) to get to Pattaya - I have no desire to take a bus

Nirish guy
March 1st, 2015, 08:33
My personal choice - either walk out the door of the airport and simply get a public taxi or if the times suit your arrival theres a comfortable luxury coach that leaves directly from the airport straight to pattaya which is fine too - or if all else fails an airport Limo, personally I begrudge the hotels their fee as all they're usually doing it calling up on of the same limo or taxi services anyway in my experience and charging you extra for the pleasure.

paborn
March 1st, 2015, 09:45
airport limo? is that booked inside the arrival lounge?

fedssocr
March 1st, 2015, 10:14
Saloon is the British-ism for a sedan like a Toyota Camry.

1900b one way is too much. I usually use TheLimoPattaya.com and their rate is 1200b one way. I've always had good service with them. The cars range a little bit in age and condition but most have been new-ish Toyotas or Hondas. They provide you with cold water and the drivers have always been pretty safe and careful in my experience.

Smiles
March 1st, 2015, 11:23
OR ... a place where old decrepit perverts drink beer with their breakfasts.

Patanawet
March 1st, 2015, 11:53
I'm a little confused by a note on the Copa hotel site - airport to hotel saloon 1,900 ghat - minibus - 2,700 bhat. In the US we never use the term saloon - I thought that was a private sedan and a minibus might be shared - but the price is higher. Can anyone clear this up? or tell me the best way ( private ) to get to Pattaya - I have no desire to take a bus
Easily explained with the help of Khun Google:
Best Answer: Same thing. In UK "saloon" was used for the same type of car as "sedan" in North America.
Or, why not ask Copa?

arsenal
March 1st, 2015, 13:41
Of course the one advantage you have when booking a hotel taxi, especially if going to the airport. If it doesn't show up it is the hotels problem to solve.

Oliver
March 1st, 2015, 14:50
Absolutely. With a morning flight to catch, I prefer to pay the extra for security. The Ambiance now charges 1800 and the limo is of good quality- certainly preferable to the taxis I use from both BKK airports.
By the way, the Don Muang taxis now use the metre rather than a standard price for Pattaya....it worked out a little more expensive for Boyztown a few weeks ago.

Nirish guy
March 1st, 2015, 16:31
airport limo? is that booked inside the arrival lounge?

Yes, there's an airport limo desk inside arrivals, dead easy, no fuss or hassle, I would use that just if I were you.

francois
March 1st, 2015, 21:46
Here are two reputable, reliable and safe taxi services:

Lek' sTaxi Service which features a new SUV for comfort and safety. 087-1288699
email: rlekgrub@hotmail.com

Sit's Taxi Service +66 89 7848269 from outside Thailand; 089-7848269 in Thailand
You can SMS Mr. Sit and he will respond and confirm bookings.

Both are competitive in price to other services with similar vehicles.

PS- As a word of warning, some taxi service try to "poach" customers at BKK Airport by copying the signs of your scheduled driver and deceive you. So, if you see a driver with a sign, MR. FARANG, do question him as to your destination or name of the taxi service.

newalaan2
March 2nd, 2015, 06:16
1900b one way is too much. I usually use TheLimoPattaya.com and their rate is 1200b one way. I've always had good service with them. The cars range a little bit in age and condition but most have been new-ish Toyotas or Hondas. They provide you with cold water and the drivers have always been pretty safe and careful in my experience.
Agree!
The Limo Pattaya I have used a few times now, reliable.....always on time, never had a no-show. Cars always large and comfortable from Camray to Fortuner. Not taken for a side refuelling trip (as PT Taxis were guilty of), with driving at reasonable speeds and careful. I would recommend them.

My personal choice - either walk out the door of the airport and simply get a public taxi or if the times suit your arrival theres a comfortable luxury coach that leaves directly from the airport straight to pattaya which is fine too - or if all else fails an airport Limo, personally I begrudge the hotels their fee
Sorry Nirish but disagree!
What is "simple" about getting a public taxi for a Pattaya trip? You have to go down to lower level, Q for ticket, you don't know if car has seat belts, no meter can be used for Pattaya trip so a fee has to be negotiated (unless that has changed). Too many uncertainties after arriving from a long flight. This might be fine for downtown Bkk, but not Pattaya. Also quality of Public Taxi cars can be iffy. For a 90min-2 hour journey a bit of comfort is welcome. So arranging a car/taxi to collect you from airport far more sensible/convenient. Driver waiting for you right outside arrivals. Taxi fee already negotiated/agreed. If you go with The Limo Pattaya you get a large comfortable car with seat belts and enough room if you have a lot of luggage, many of the airport public taxis do not have rear seat belts, have a small boot/trunk with a tank in it. My opinion only.

As for bus, apart from the OP saying he has no desire to use it, after collecting your luggage you've got to find it, get the luggage on yourself and what happens when you get to Pattaya, how do you get to your hotel? It is not a door-to-door service therefore it has a hassle element you can do without after a long flight. But only if your arrival suits the bus times. I really couldn't be bothered with that after a 10hour+ flight.

You begrudge the hotels a fee, yet recommend using the Airport Limo Service? Even with their fee the hotels will surely be less expensive.

A pre-booked car is door-to-door, fee already agreed and driver guaranteed to be waiting for you, on top of that probably Public Taxi will be more expensive, Airport Limo will definitely be more expensive.

paborn
March 3rd, 2015, 09:06
How do you book limo pattaya - is there a website?

francois
March 3rd, 2015, 11:45
Have you read any of the posts above?

Nirish guy
March 3rd, 2015, 16:37
I disagree N.Irish.

Put simply and succinctly - you are ABSOLUTELY right in everything you say ! :-) And I'm neither joking or being patronising there but am genuinely agreeing with all your points as they are totally valid. Never let it be said I can't admit when I'm wrong. :-) Although whilst I admit I WAS thinking more about a quick run into Bkk perhaps ( yes my mistake as I know the Op was discussing Pattaya) I have to say i still wouldn't have a problem jumping in a taxi and have done a few times, i guess it all depends on what you look at as hassle, to me going down stairs, stepping into a taxi instantly ( as there hasn't been a queue there in a long time now on any of my trips) and just "going" is to me ok, but I fully understand and accept your points about comfort ( I've used various limo services before too and yes they are of course better).

So to the Op, if it's comfort and stress free you're after then Newalan's way is by far the easiest and best for you I would imagine.

newalaan2
March 3rd, 2015, 17:25
How do you book limo pattaya - is there a website?
Just send an email to info@thelimopattaya.com with your flight number, arrival time, and ask to confirm cost including tollway costs. If you want a specific time to be picked-up just state that in the email. They will respond to confirm price, just email back to confirm they will give you a mobile number to contact if you can't locate the driver in the airport, but they will confirm the gate he will be waiting at with a sign with your name.

This most recent trip I got through immigration and had luggage picked up very quickly about an hour before the time I had requested, I just called the contact number said I was in the airport,the driver was already in the airport too so he just met me at arrivals. They will take your luggage/cart for you, all you have to do is follow, get in and enjoy the journey.

If you book with them let us know how you found the service, feedback positive or negative is very useful.

Never let it be said I can't admit when I'm wrong
That's one thing you could never be accused of. Ha ha..I knew you would be ok with a contrary take on the taxi situation (as I would be if the situation was reversed). As you describe just taking a Public taxi, jump in and on your way is what I do too when going to downtown Bkk (after confirming meter on!) and those who make multiple Thailand trips like you will probably be fine about 'negotiations' for a Pattaya run. I just like to have a bit of certainty on arrival if going to Pattaya first. Also I think if someone does not have a great deal of experience interacting with Thais a pre-booked taxi irons-out any potential hassles.

a447
March 3rd, 2015, 17:50
I'm with Newalaan on this one. I also want to travel in comfort after a long flight - if you can call 7 hours long.

I used to use the Ambiance transfer when I stayed at their hotel and they were great, albeit not the cheapest option. I'm also a fan of Mr Toom (toom39@msn.com) these days. There were a couple of hiccups when I first started using his service - drivers using their mobile phones, speeding - but now all is ok. The last few trips have been in new, large SUVs and the drivers stick to the speed limit. They all speak English and are very friendly, courteous and reliable.

If only Mr Toom employed cuter drivers! It would make the journey more bearable.

I've taken the bus a couple of times from the airport, but it doesn't take you right into town; you have to transfer to a song taeow to get to your hotel. Too much of a hassle.

As for negotiating with a taxi, forget it.

newalaan2
March 3rd, 2015, 21:20
There were a couple of hiccups when I first started using his service - drivers using their mobile phones, speeding - but now all is ok
I had the opposite experience with PT Taxis, at the start great, later poor. On this very forum a few times I praised their reliable, efficient service! and although I saw other reports of detours for gas, erratic driving etc.. for quite a few trips I never experienced any issues with them, sure they did speed (140km/h) but usually only on the same stretches of the elevated motorway I used to drive at myself where the road was good with long straight stretches you could safely see ahead.

But as time went on, the gas stops became more frequent, latterly on every trip even though I requested no gas stops in the email confirmation, the driving became erratic as if every second counted, and chattering about nothing important on the mobile while in the outside fast lane weaving in and out of slower traffic, checking sms's, fiddling with music player etc... a couple of times I actually asked the driver to slow down as he was driving far too close to the vehicles in front. The last time I used them all of the negatives were part of one trip so I changed to TheLimoPattaya. So far all trips perfect. Recent pick up from Mosaik, Pattaya to Tarntawan, Nop at Mosaik said the driver had been waiting at reception a full hour before the alotted time.

used to use the Ambiance transfer when I stayed at their hotel and they were great, albeit not the cheapest option
Me too. First couple years I visited Pattaya I stayed in the suites above Copa which Ambiance owned then. Was ok with the Boyztown environment at the start. I used their limo which was an old large, but comfortable sedan...Volvo? the last time I stayed there on the way from the airport the front wheel actually collapsed on the motorway as we sped along. fortunately there was quite a bit of rumbling prior to the collapse so the driver managed to stop ok. Probably the bearings gave way completely, the wheel was buckled right under the car by the time we came to a halt, so was at the side of the elevated motorway standing outside the car as the traffic whizzed-by until another car was sent (arrived quite quickly) to get us to the Ambiance. Once I stayed a few times at the Ambiance I bored of the goldfish bowl atmosphere, learned of some 'history' about the place and so moved to the Flamingo which I loved.

goji
March 4th, 2015, 00:34
Saloon is the British-ism for a sedan like a Toyota Camry.
You mean Saloon is English for a car with a boot. Like a Toyota Camry.
Although it may well be the smaller Corolla Saloon, which explains why it's cheaper than the minibus.

Ivory
March 6th, 2015, 00:43
The best option to find the chip taxi from airport to Pattaya - go to the top floor of the airport - the departure zone, walk out from the doors and cross the road. Don't mind about indicators "one way passage" - actually nobody cares ;) There you can find a lot of city taxi (from BKK and PTT) which is just drop off the passengers and prepare to go back empty. They will give you a good price (900-1200 B) - it`s depend of you bargain :ymsmug:

a447
March 6th, 2015, 13:52
When I was there back in January lots of police were at the departure level on the top floor chasing taxis away. You didn't have time to even get into a taxi.