PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Thais Take So Long To Express Things?

fountainhall
February 28th, 2015, 13:25
Were you aware that Bangkok's proper Thai name is -

Krung thep mahanakhon amorn ratanakosin mahintharayutthaya mahadilok popnoparat ratchathani burirom udomratchanivetmahasathan amornpiman avatarnsathit sakkathattiyavisnukarmprasit?

According to the Guinness Book of Records, it's the longest location name in the world. In English, it translates as "The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city of Ayutthaya of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn."

Now I understand why it takes such an age for Thais to say relatively simple things!

catawampuscat
February 28th, 2015, 15:11
It amuses me when I get a wrong number and pass the phone to a Thai to explain.
The conversation goes on and on for several minutes. No doubt it's more polite that way

February 28th, 2015, 16:49
Now I understand why it takes such an age for Thais to say relatively simple things!Thais have no complex ideas and are temperamentally incapable of complex thought - hence the Thais best-known complaint about Westerners "You think too much"

christianpfc
March 2nd, 2015, 00:02
I was aware of the full name of Bangkok. I guess it's in every guidebook about Bangkok.

The headline is ambiguous, I first thought of "to express" as synonym of "to expedite" (making the headline an oxymoron, followed by an ironic or sarcastic article), but then I realized it has the meaning "to say"

Smiles
March 2nd, 2015, 08:50
Christian, why does it take so long for you to express yourself? Inexcusable!

March 2nd, 2015, 16:26
The headline is ambiguous, I first thought of "to express" as synonym of "to expedite" (making the headline an oxymoron, followed by an ironic or sarcastic article), but then I realized it has the meaning "to say"Perhaps you're unaware that nursing mothers who wish to breastfeed their babies but have to go to the office and leave the baby with someone else "express" their milk

MiniMee
March 3rd, 2015, 01:51
Perhaps you're unaware that nursing mothers who wish to breastfeed their babies but have to go to the office and leave the baby with someone else "express" their milk

Since when did kommentariat become an authority on breeders, babies and boobies?

marti
March 3rd, 2015, 20:46
Now I understand why it takes such an age for Thais to say relatively simple things!Thais have no complex ideas and are temperamentally incapable of complex thought - hence the Thais best-known complaint about Westerners "You think too much"
You are absolutely correct.

lukylok
March 4th, 2015, 00:29
You are absolutely correct.

A beautiful example of racism !

Thais = untermensch ??????

Shame on you

March 5th, 2015, 16:29
Thais have no complex ideas and are temperamentally incapable of complex thought - hence the Thais best-known complaint about Westerners "You think too much"You are absolutely correct.A beautiful example of racism !Racist eh? Which "race" would that be I wonder. The Lao and Khmer who live in Isaan? The Malays who live in the South? The Chinese who came as merchants in the 19th and 20th centuries who still refer to themselves as Thai-Chinese? The Hill Tribes perhaps? Or maybe you're just one of those people who cry "racist" every time a white man opens his mouth because, let's face it, only (and all) white men are racists?

lukylok
March 5th, 2015, 18:22
Look at it the other way.

Why do you feel so immensely superior ?

Because you are white ?
Because you belong to "race" ?

What gives you the right to look down contemptuously on other people ?

catawampuscat
March 5th, 2015, 18:28
Look at it the other way.

Why do you feel so immensely superior ?

Because you are white ?
Because you belong to "race" ?

What gives you the right to look down contemptuously on other people ?

Right on target !

March 6th, 2015, 01:48
Why do you feel so immensely superior ?I just am, darling.

malchik21
March 6th, 2015, 04:24
I was aware of the full name of Bangkok. I guess it's in every guidebook about Bangkok.

The headline is ambiguous, I first thought of "to express" as synonym of "to expedite" (making the headline an oxymoron, followed by an ironic or sarcastic article), but then I realized it has the meaning "to say"

I thought I would try the "Express" laundry service...Guess I will pick it up on my next visit.

Smiles
March 6th, 2015, 15:59
=)) =))