PDA

View Full Version : Another Boring Oscar Night!

fountainhall
February 23rd, 2015, 11:15
It was Oscar night again with the usual procession of speeches thanking wives, children, mothers, managers, agents, lawyers and goodness knows who else whom no one has ever heard of тАУ oh, and God always gets his mention along the way. Surely the time has come for the Academy to make it mandatory for winners to make a proper speech and to thank only those who worked on their actual movies?

This year, though, there were two тАШthank youтАЩ highlights. I thought the writers of the winning song from Selma made the most memorable speeches, referring even to the democracy protests in Hong Kong. They also threw in the fact that there are more African Americans in jail in the USA than there were slaves!

Another highlight came when Graham Moore (Adapted Screenplay for The Imitation Game) made an impassioned plea for young gay teenagers to be themselves and accept their sexuality

There was also one big surprise. Who on earth would have predicted Lady Gaga would be singing excerpts from тАЬThe Sound of MusicтАЭ? And singing them so beautifully.

There were, though, some awards that were unaccountably missed -

Most Face Lifts тАУ Dame Julie Andrews
Most Obvious Toupee тАУ John Travolta
Most Cringing Thank You тАУ Alexandre Desplat (Music for the excellent Grand Budapest Hotel) thanking his cats
Most Boring тАШReadingтАЩ of the Teleprompter тАУ Eddie Murphy sounded utterly bored introducing Best Screenplay Oscar
Biggest Hips (in an unflattering gown) тАУ Oprah Winfrey
Gayest Entrance тАУ Graham Moore going up to accept for The Imitation Game
Cheapest Shot of the Night тАУ the ill-drawn paintings of Academy members who had passed away. Why no photos? Was there a problem getting rights???

Nirish guy
February 23rd, 2015, 18:21
Well now being a Brit and a big gay queen lol I was about to leap to the defence of our very own much loved Dame Julie Andrews against your scandalous slur about her and face lifts, but as I hadn't seen her in a while I thought I'd better do a quick google search and check......so, accordingly I've nothing more to say on the matter as it appears as much as I love the woman ( oh my god I thought gays could lose their gay membership card for dissing the star of the Sound of Music) but it appears, much to my annoyance, that you may in fact have a massive point and be absolutely correct ! :-( lol.

Oh and ABSOLUTELY right also re Lady Gaga - an absolutely cracking performance. I didn't think it was possible for her to go up any further on the gay ladder of overall fabulousness but last night I think she just did with her wonderful performance.

fountainhall
February 23rd, 2015, 19:39
As a fellow Brit I was never a Julie Andrews fan until a friend dragged me along to the London Palladium to see her in her one woman show. I did so only after his agreement that we spend the first half of supporting acts in the bar. Whether it was the drink or the talent, I was totally hooked as the Dame sang and hoofed her way through a fabulous hour or so of great entertainment. I was one of the first to rush down to the orchestra at the end to shout my adulation. She was so hugely talented. It's just such a pity that her stupid husband insisted on surgery to remove the nodules from her vocal chords after the run of "Victor, Victoria!" on Broadway. They'd have disappeared in time, but the operation ruined her extraordinary 4-octave voice.

You'll know she was once considered for a career in opera as this short Wagner excerpt illustrates - well, kind of . . .

[youtube:1stcljwf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfVgR-7J4nM[/youtube:1stcljwf]