View Full Version : Pattaya Restaurants

paborn
February 22nd, 2015, 07:13
20 trips to Bangkok over 30 years and now planning my first trip to Pattaya - I thank everyone for advice on s Boystown hotel and have settled on the Ambiance - now - my passion is good food - any recommendations -

Up2U
February 22nd, 2015, 07:44
Pattaya doesn't have the great dining options like Bangkok. Not necessarily fine dining but I recommend the Mata Hari, Gian's, Cafe Des Amis, Chrysanthemum (Chinese), the lunch buffet at the Hilton (Central Festival), Au Bon Coin, Grill House (Royal Cliff), Mantra (Amari), breakfast buffet at Casa Pascal.

a447
February 22nd, 2015, 09:17
Brad mentioned Fuji Japanese restaurant in Bangkok, so I'll also give them a plug for their Pattaya branch in Central Festival.

Although I'm not a fan of overseas Japanese restaurants, Fuji is actually very good; you can even get the real wasabi, not that fake tasteless green slime most restaurants serve up to cater for foreigners. Fuji's wasabi will knock your socks off. And the menu is huge.

If you like steak, try East in Jomtien Complex. It's towards the upper end price-wise, but well worth in IMHO.

Personal recommendations are, of course, just opinions and you may find the restaurants disappointing. There is one well-known and often recommended restaurant which is on the left hand side of Thappraya Road not far from Jomtien Complex. I won't mention its name. I went there one night with Neal (yes, that Neal) and a fellow board member. I had one of the worst meals of my life. I ordered lobster (1500 baht if I recall) and it was the smallest lobster tail I'd ever laid eyes on. Not only that, it had been defrosted so was mushy and completely tasteless. Dessert - chocolate souffl├й - turned out to be a stale muffin smothered in sickly sweet sauce. Yuk!!

I'm a real foodie and would love to try out the restaurants others have recommended, but unfortunately, my regular guy in Pattaya just wants to eat steak or Japanese food. :ymapplause:

jimnbkk
February 22nd, 2015, 09:48
You're visiting Thailand and ask for restaurant recommendations. Not one of the recommended venues was a Thai restaurant. I find that extraordinary. Visit Thailand and not eat Thai food? Of course not. Whoever heard of such a thing.

However, if you want decent Thai food, there are many, many such restaurants in Pattaya/Jomtien. Two come immediately to mind: Sweet Potato on the Soi 16/17 extension across 3rd Road toward Jomtien serves fine, inexpensive Thai meals. Similarly, Two Pum Puy on Pratumnak Soi 5 is a good bet.

francois
February 22nd, 2015, 11:47
Paborn has mentioned he does not wish to ride a motorbike taxi so some of the restaurants listed above may be off limits?

Another good restaurant close by to Boyztown is Bordeaux.

arsenal
February 22nd, 2015, 12:11
The Glasshouse. Pattayas" first genuine destination restaurant. Fat juicy shrimp with tender asparagus, even fatter mussels with pesto, steamed rice and a fresh pineapple smoothie. All for 435 baht. Served with a view of the ocean, sumptious seating and gentle tropical music.

joe552
February 22nd, 2015, 13:39
Can you tell us where the Glasshouse is, arsenal? Sounds like a place I'd like.

Oliver
February 22nd, 2015, 14:19
I second two of the recommendations above; we ate In the Central Fuji ten days ago. The best of the many Japanese Restaurants there, in our view. And I was in Bordeaux only four days ago where I had an excellent magret de canard.
I agree that Thai food is usually and unsurprisingly the best option Thailand. Cucumber, opposite Tuk Com, serves some good sea bass dishes at reasonable prices- I enjoy their papaya salad, too- and the Thai place on Central's 5th floor (Tanna Thai) is reliable and good value.

francois
February 22nd, 2015, 14:43
Here is an earlier thread on best Thai restaurants including the Glass House.

best-thai-restaurant-t30860.html#p291762 (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/best-thai-restaurant-t30860.html#p291762)

As or Japanese food there is Yamato on Soi Yamato close to Boyztown in an authentic setting and highly rated. The boyfriend rates it 4****; for me 4$$$$.

Magnum
February 22nd, 2015, 15:54
It's not a restaurant, but for Thai food I really like PAKBOONGLOYFA. It's very close to the Ambiance, 2nd Road, before you go left to Pattayaland Soi 1 (X Boys). It's open in the night. Decent, in part excellent Thai food.

joe552
February 22nd, 2015, 16:06
I eat there quite often, Magnum. Great value and decent food.

arsenal
February 22nd, 2015, 16:20
Joe. The Glasshouse is in Na Jomtien. Off Sukumvit and literally on the beach.

joe552
February 22nd, 2015, 16:22
Thanks, arsenal, I'll seek it out on my next trip. Looks like a nice place to take a "companion" and impress them.

a447
February 22nd, 2015, 16:46
I always let my guy in Pattaya choose the restaurant every night - in fact, I let him choose everything. He knows how much I love Thai food so on two occasions he's chosen Thanna Thai in Central Festival, just to appease my cravings.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the food on both occasions - the Tom Yum Goong is awesome - but the attitude of the old waiter (the owner?) is very off-putting. He is obviously aware of my relationship with Boi and seems to take offence. He's rude, stand-offish and very short with us and, of course, never smiles.

But if you are ok with that (and we are), it's well worth a visit.

paborn
February 22nd, 2015, 21:29
So much good advice. Yes, I will never get on the back of a motorcycle but ghat buses, real taxi's and my feet should get me most places. I love Thai food but my doctor has me on the south beach diet and all but the VEARY occasional rice dish is out - it is easier to get protein and some veg with European - so I'm glad that the Bordeaux is getting good ratings.

Up2U
February 23rd, 2015, 07:18
So much good advice. Yes, I will never get on the back of a motorcycle but ghat buses, real taxi's and my feet should get me most places. I love Thai food but my doctor has me on the south beach diet and all but the VEARY occasional rice dish is out - it is easier to get protein and some veg with European - so I'm glad that the Bordeaux is getting good ratings.
When you were in Bangkok what restaurants did you enjoy? In Pattaya, the good places are not near BT, but you don't have to go too far. Bordeaux is behind Tukcom an easy walk from BT. Casa Fellini is a short distance from the Ambiance if you like Italian. The restaurants are better in Bangkok but your check will be substantially less here in Pattaya.

Smiles
February 23rd, 2015, 10:24
I/we don't go to Pattaya/Jomtien all that often . . . perhaps 3 times a year tops.
For myself ~ hardly a gourmand ~ the Cafe des Amis fits the bill: delicious food (not a single dish I've had, or parts-pinched off another's plate, can be criticised, at least by me), nice low-lit ambience, really pleasant wait staff (some very cute, "nice ass" he whispered to himself, always a plus for Mr Swivelhead), and a very courteous owner.
Sweet little outdoor courtyard to retreat to for apres coffee. To die for tiramisu.
Medium expensive but hardly over the top.
This restaurant I will be quite happy to make into a habit.

Located at the bottom of Thap phraya Road, Soi 11. The dining room is on the smallish side so reservations recommended: 66 84 026 4989

Up2U
February 23rd, 2015, 10:38
I/we don't go to Pattaya/Jomtien all that often . . . perhaps 3 times a year tops.
For myself ~ hardly a gourmand ~ the Cafe des Amis fits the bill: delicious food (not a single dish I've had, or parts-pinched off another's plate, can be criticised, at least by me), nice low-lit ambience, really pleasant wait staff (some very cute, "nice ass" he whispered to himself, always a plus for Mr Swivelhead), and a very courteous owner.
Sweet little outdoor courtyard to retreat to for apres coffee. To die for tiramisu.
Medium expensive but hardly over the top.
This restaurant I will be quite happy to make into a habit.

Located at the bottom of Thap phraya Road, Soi 11. The dining room is on the smallish side so reservations recommended: 66 84 026 4989
Two thumbs up to Cafe Des Amis. I drive,but the hill may be an issue for some people, not sure if they have a shuttle.