PDA

View Full Version : La Table de Tee on Saladaeng

fountainhall
February 21st, 2015, 14:44
Anyone seeking the best of European cuisine with a touch of Asian fusion should make a beeline for this tiny restaurant on a small sub-soi off Saladaeng (between Zanotti's and Saladaeng Soi 1). I've had dinner there on several occasions, most recently twice in the last 8 days, and it has always been a superb dining experience.

30-year old Khun Tee spent 6 years training and working in a major London restaurant before returning 5 years ago to start up this restaurant. It can only seat about 16 diners and so booking at peak times is essential. It offers a set menu with options for three of the five courses at Bt. 1,150 + service charge per person. The wine list is not extensive but it does offer a choice of white and red wines by the glass (not included in the overall price). It's not cheap - but it's way less expensive than similar restaurants offering similar cuisine of this quality. Tripadviser ranks it as #82 out of 8,248 restaurants in Bangkok.

http://www.latabledetee.com/index.php

Brad the Impala
February 21st, 2015, 15:07
Interesting, as I usually stay in that area and am always looking for places to eat there. On my last trip I very much enjoyed Aubergine, an excellent and long standing French Restaurant that looks like a private home. Excellent food, atmosphere and service. It's in Saladaeng Soi 1/1. http://www.aubergine.in.th/en/location.php

It is not cheap, but good for a special occasion.

fountainhall
February 21st, 2015, 15:25
If you don't mind getting down to Chongnonsri, just 30 meters up from the BTS station there is another splendid little restaurant serving superb fusion cuisine. Le Du was started up just over a year ago by two young chefs in their 20s (and both cute!) who trained in New York. Both worked in Michelin-starred restaurants in New York and Los Angeles.

Le Du's cuisine is slightly more complex than Table de Tee. The menu looks quite expensive, but there are two tasting menus, the second of which includes four courses which you select from the main menu for Bt. 990 +. The only thing to note is that some of the dishes you choose may have a small supplement. Again, booking in advance is recommended.

http://www.ledubkk.com/

Brad the Impala
February 21st, 2015, 18:27
Thanks, but for me there are so many good restaurants in that area that I don't usually travel for food! I expect others will find the recommendation useful.

If you're heading for Soi Twilight it's certainly worth a stop off for traditional French cooking at Le Bouchon in Patpong Two, which has been there for almost twenty years. The first French restaurant that I went to with my boyfriend, who has been a fan of French cooking ever since. Screwboys used to be just three doors away!

http://lebouchonpatpong.com/

fountainhall
February 21st, 2015, 21:18
I had no idea Le Bouchon still was in operation! Must be at least 12 years since I ate there!

I'm sure you'll know of Paris Bangkok just off Saladaeng Soi 1. Had one disappointing meal there but the rest have been very good. http://www.parisbangkok.com/

Brad the Impala
February 21st, 2015, 23:46
That's funny for me, as despite usually staying not 200 yards away in Bandara Suites(previously known as Chin House) I didn't know it existed! We usually walk out via either the Silom or occasionally Sathorn ends of Saladeang. I think the only time we walk down Saladeang Soi I is to visit Fuji in the UChuliang building. Always found Fuji a most reliable chain all over Thailand.

The unamed cafe on the corner of Silom and Saladeang has, in my experience at least, the best noodle soup in Bangkok. The same family has been running it for thirty years, and probably more. In that time they have changed neither the decor nor the recipe. It's packed at lunchtime, and they have usually run out of food by mid afternoon. Good to get there either just before or just after normal lunchtimes! It's prime property but the son of the original owner says he has no intention of selling. "what would my family do?"

Sen Yai
February 22nd, 2015, 15:27
The unamed cafe on the corner of Silom and Saladeang....

Actually it does have a name displayed on a signboard over the door, as you would expect. It is called р╕з р╕гр╕▒р╕ир╕бр╕╡ or Wa Gra-sami or 'The Radius'. Presumably becuase it is on the corner of two streets.

[attachment=0:2u0o6hr9]Wa Gra-sami.JPG[/attachment:2u0o6hr9]

Brad the Impala
February 22nd, 2015, 16:30
Thank you Sen Yai, that's the one! I always prefer the sen yai, do you go there too? Don't think that I have ever seen another farang in there!

christianpfc
February 23rd, 2015, 10:58
Thank you for bringing this up (Wa Gra-sami). I walked past many times, but never looked close. Will do next time I'm in the area. There is the only street food stall I know of selling deep fried whole prawns and crabs in front of this restaurant.

bobsaigon2
February 23rd, 2015, 12:26
Wa Gra-sami .... I had lunch there several times in the early 1980's. It was/is well known for its deep fried spring rolls (paw pia tod).