PDA

View Full Version : TAKE CARE!! fundrasing dinner at Bruno's

jvt22222
February 19th, 2015, 08:05
We are pleased to announce a scrumptious TAKE CARE!! fundraising dinner at Bruno's Restaurant and Wine Bar on Monday 9 March 2015 at 7:30 ... details are on the attached flyer ... plan for a great meal at a 5-star venue for a truly good cause ... win win for all ... for booking be sure to text Bruno's at 08-1861-5612 or book in person when you are next there ... hope to see you there.

TAKE CARE!!

arsenal
March 10th, 2015, 21:32
So I was wondering how much of the not cheap 900 Baht was actually donated to this cause?

aot871
March 11th, 2015, 16:32
Im with you there , when they say a %of the profits, how much and what %, goes to the cause

arsenal
March 11th, 2015, 16:42
I'm sure they'll give us a full reply and have it confirmed by Takecare. It must have been a good amount because the menu is made up of the cheapest ingredients. Mushrooms, scrag end of lamb and yogurt.

March 11th, 2015, 17:22
... scrag end of lamb ...That bit's missing from the menu as displayed. Which dish is it a part of?

arsenal
March 11th, 2015, 17:30
Kommie: Lamb shanks and scrag end are the same in that they are only good for stewing being sinewy, tough and the cheapest bits.

March 12th, 2015, 02:23
Kommie: Lamb shanks and scrag end are the same in that they are only good for stewing being sinewy, tough and the cheapest bits.No! You don't say!! So, returning to the question I actually asked, where is the lamb dish on the menu?

lonelywombat
March 12th, 2015, 06:32
Kommie: Lamb shanks and scrag end are the same in that they are only good for stewing being sinewy, tough and the cheapest bits.No! You don't say!! So, returning to the question I actually asked, where is the lamb dish on the menu?

Certainly interesting that people who cannot afford to dine at Bruno's put shit into a fundraising dinner. From memory it is the same suspects that can be relied on to ask "what percentage" yet again, every fundraiser. I feel tempted to ask what donations they make to any charities let alone AIDS related. Maybe they will donate whatever portion that Brunos make, as a donation

36 hours slow cooked pork neck is being dismissed as poor house tucker. I am positive the meal as prepared by Bruno's chefs will be a great meal. Looks superb and great value.

jvt22222
March 12th, 2015, 08:04
Please find the following full financial report regarding the TAKE CARE!! fundraising dinner held at BrunoтАЩs Restaurant on Monday, 9 March 2015:

Paid attendance тАУ 26

INCOME
TAKE CARE!! portion of cost of meal тАУ- 26 x 220 baht == 5,720 baht
Donations at or before event -тАУ 10,800 baht
Total INCOME -- 16,520 baht

EXPENSES
Printing of poster for display -- 400 baht
Photocopying of poster for handouts тАУ- 300 baht
Total EXPENSES -тАУ 700 baht

GRAND TOTAL RAISED тАУ 15,820 baht

Special thanks to the management of BrunoтАЩs Restaurant, to all in attendance, varied supporters of the advertising for the event and to the TAKE CARE!! Fundraising Committee.

If you wish to contribute to the support of the HIV/AIDS prevention efforts of TAKE CARE!! you can contribute through the PAY PAL button on the TAKE CARE!! website -- takecarepattaya.com, get in touch through email to arrange a face-to-face at -- takecarepattaya@yahoo.com -- or stop by our regular monthly meeting at Sansuk Sauna on the third Monday of each month at 6:00 pm.

Thanks to all for the continuing support, TAKE CARE!!

arsenal
March 12th, 2015, 09:25
Kommie. My mistake. I mixed up lamb with pork. Apologies to all concerned. However in terms of cost the cuts are of similar quality. The amount raised was inded a good amount. Perhaps next time the advertising poster could be less opaque about exactly how much is being donated.

lonelywombat
March 12th, 2015, 11:35
We are pleased to announce a scrumptious TAKE CARE!! fundraising dinner at Bruno's Restaurant and Wine Bar on Monday 9 March 2015 at 7:30 ... details are on the attached flyer ... plan for a great meal at a 5-star venue for a truly good cause ... win win for all ...

The menu is the opening post this thread. Why should anybody want to put shit into a 5 star restaurant , or if that is not accepted by their critics,at least one of the best in Pattaya. .Mushroom terrine, 36 hour slow cooked pork neck on apples and dry prunes with balsamico sauce with yoghurt parfait with tropical fruits and coulis . The scrag end of lamb [actually pork] is a pathetic put down of a fine restaurant. Nasty posting by arsenal.

arsenal
March 12th, 2015, 14:13
Lonelywombat. Nasty put down. Not really. The menu was indeed made up of cheaper ingredients. 900 Baht in Pattaya is is expensive, compared to say Cuisine au Buerre where they charge 340 Baht and have items such as rib eye steak and turbot on the set price menu.
Also, if you advertise something as a charity event then clarity is expected. One thing is absolutely clear about all this. With 680 Baht per person (plus drinks sales) the restaurant made a good profit on the whole thing.

lonelywombat
March 12th, 2015, 14:28
I have owned restaurants and understand how all the prices are locked in. Sure you can have a good steak , even a moderate wine and or two for under 600 baht.
I know and appreciate all the extras that go to make a top presentation every night. I am also well aware the amount of take away is far less than you understand.

But location, the presentation, the quality of the cooking ,the staff and not forgetting the quality of the food and wines. They all add up. I was impressed
600 baht per head was a good fundraiser for the charity.

March 12th, 2015, 15:05
Kommie. My mistake. I mixed up lamb with pork.Don't mention it arsenal, no apology needed. It's not everyone who was brought up in the country as I was and is adept at separating the sheep from the goats, or in this case the sheep from the pigs. As a447 - a man renowned for not being able to tell his arse from his elbow (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/can%27t+tell+arse+from+elbow), as I learned during our recent trip together - says
[The facts are immaterial] to the point being made (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/eros-bar-t31267-30.html).

a447
March 12th, 2015, 15:28
(Reference the Malaysian Airlines thread in the Everything Else Forum)

Speaking about not being able to tell your arse from your elbow, is that like you not being able to tell an A380 from Mh370??

So, how was your short trip on the A380? Back so soon?

Lol

Back to the topic at hand, what is the answer to arsenal's question? What percentage of that money raised was donated to charity?

lonelywombat
March 12th, 2015, 17:37
Back to the topic at hand, what is the answer to arsenal's question? What percentage of that money raised was donated to charity?

from the figures published about 600 baht per head of attendees

arsenal
March 12th, 2015, 22:18
Lonelywombat is being disengenuous with his 600 baht per head. Yes, that was the actual figure but nearly two thirds of that came from donations, not a percentage of the cost of the meal. The actual percentage of the meal price donated (900 baht) was about 24.4 percent.

Gaybutton
March 13th, 2015, 05:40
This same type of topic shows up regularly whenever Take Care hosts an "event." I really don't understand why some always seem to focus on how much the venue takes in compared to how much Take Care ends up with. To me, that's a "who cares?" and the least important question. Obviously, if Take Care wasn't satisfied with the percentage they get, then they wouldn't host their "event" at that venue.

If some of you are concerned about that, fine with me, but I would have thought most would be much more interested in questions such as what is actually done with the money Take Care gets from these "events." What else besides condoms is contained in the packets distributed to the bars? Where does Take Care get the condoms from? How many packets usually go to the individual bars? How often are the packets distributed? How are the packets distributed to the boys - directly into their hands or to someone in the bar who distributes them to the boys? Do many of the boys actually request the packets? If someone in the bar distributes them, are any of the boys ever turned down if they are on the wrong side of whoever distributes them? Do the boys actually use the distributed condoms? Do any of you ever see boys you've taken off showing up with condoms that were supplied by Take Care? Are the packets available to boys other than only bar boys - such as Gay Romeo boys and other gay boys who have nothing to do with working in bars? If so, how is that done?

Those are the types of questions that would interest me. But what percentage does the venue get compared to how much Take Care gets? Personally, I couldn't care less.

lonelywombat
March 13th, 2015, 07:27

from the figures published about 600 baht per head of attendees

The 600 baht per head probably would not been raised without the sponsored function .26 attended and another 19 paid a donation of what equal Bruno's discount. It will be interesting to see if arsenal who has taken such an interest, adds his contribution as a donation.

Smiles
March 13th, 2015, 10:43
" ... The 600 baht per head probably would not been raised without the sponsored function, (only) .26 attended ...
Let's see Lonely ... by my calculations that would equal to about one half of one's arm and one's balls and dick attended. Not good for the money jar.
(Oops, there I go again, turning everything into being "about sex".)

lonelywombat
March 13th, 2015, 10:47
smiles your posting is up to your usual standard. getting stuck into the weed earlier these days?

catawampuscat
March 13th, 2015, 15:03
Gaybutton makes a valid point. Charitable organizations always raise questions
but take care is very upfront about the accounting.
There are so many places for corrupt practices, why harp on the dinner.
The volunteers spend many hours and days organizing, preparing, and distributing.
If one less boy or customers get infected, it's all worth it. Lots of STDs besides HIV.
Everyone is not a thief, some are genuine do gooders. Nothing wrong with that.

March 13th, 2015, 15:59
If one less boy or customers get infected, it's all worth it.Really? One less infection is worth all that effort, and damn the transparency? The trend these days is in the opposite direction, with organisations like Charity Navigator (http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1283) scoring a charity's effectiveness based on transparency and cost of overheads as a percentage of gross income etc. These days I don't given to a charity that doesn't perform well on these measures (ie. I don't give to Thai charities) no matter how worthy the cause.

Surfcrest
March 14th, 2015, 06:58
The trend these days is in the opposite direction, with organisations like Charity Navigator scoring a charity's effectiveness based on transparency and cost of overheads as a percentage of gross income etc. These days I don't given to a charity that doesn't perform well on these measures (ie. I don't give to Thai charities) no matter how worthy the cause.
I'm not sure I would group a local "grass roots" charity like TAKE CARE!! with the rest of the charities of the world and how they measure up with their front office costs. TAKE CARE!!, is trying to raise money for their cause, simple as that. If you've ever been involved with any charity work, quite often the objective is to raise "x" number of dollars / euros or baht for the event you are planning, through the generosity of local business out there like Bruno's (unless you can think of another way).

I think what else is important to add is that all of this work and all of these causes shine well on the gay community, within the local Thai communities that some of us live (full time or part time) and of course the charities and the people that benefit from our financial support. Of course, if you weren't able to make it, you can still make a donation through TAKE CARE!!'s web site!

http://www.takecarepattaya.com/contact.htm

Surfcrest

March 14th, 2015, 08:04
Quite right Surfcrest, we shouldn't demand transparency from charities associated with gay causes, particularly in Thailand. As we all know, honesty is an innate property of the gay gene, and if you can't trust a fellow faggot to be honest, who can you trust?

Surfcrest
March 14th, 2015, 09:12
Quite right Surfcrest, we shouldn't demand transparency from charities associated with gay causes, particularly in Thailand.
Well, with respect to transparency...that's precisely what Dale has provided in the financial report from the event. I think TAKE CARE!! has always been very transparent with their reporting's and their work over the years not only here, but on the other forums as well. It's pretty clear to me what their objective is in respect to what good they do and I see any interference that TAKE CARE!! can make to the transmission of HIV within our community, especially with the young people as a good thing, whether it's preventing one infection...or more likely many, many over the years.

Surfcrest

puckered_penguin
March 14th, 2015, 09:45
I'm sure they'll give us a full reply and have it confirmed by Takecare. It must have been a good amount because the menu is made up of the cheapest ingredients. Mushrooms, scrag end of lamb and yogurt.

Arsenal have you ever run or worked in any type of business for more than 5 minutes or were you a government worker of some sort who never had any financial responsibility even for the petty cash tin?
When restaurants like Bruno's hosts these events he is likely to take into account the lost opportunity cost that the table might have received had the table being occupied by ├а la carte diners. Those diners might have been paying 2000+ baht for a dinner with wine.
I think if this is so then Bruno's management is far more generous than you could ever imagine yourself to be.

lonelywombat
March 14th, 2015, 11:29

Arsenal have you ever run or worked in any type of business for more than 5 minutes or were you a government worker of some sort who never had any financial responsibility even for the petty cash tin?
When restaurants like Bruno's hosts these events he is likely to take into account the lost opportunity cost that the table might have received had the table being occupied by ├а la carte diners. Those diners might have been paying 2000+ baht for a dinner with wine.
I think if this is so then Bruno's management is far more generous than you could ever imagine yourself to be.

puckered_penguin. I agree 100% with you . As a number of posters have said in PM ,this thread gives a good look at some of our big mouth and frequent posters and they do come out very impressive.

Surfcrest
March 14th, 2015, 12:14
Well, I'm not sure that's the case either LW.

I think we've seen events over the years that weren't managed as well as some of the long term charities that exist today, that have existed for so many years due to the good people behind each of these causes.

I think the important take away out of all of this is that we all have our own things we believe in. Some of us are actively involved in one or more charity whereas many of us here, I'm guessing donate to one cause or another...be it in Thailand or in their home country. Not all of us do and that's okay. Many guys provide some sort of level of support for the people they see over here and that too is direct support. While some may not make enough money to make much of a contribution or have no time left over after making what they need to exist. Que sera!

I really doubt those that can give, don't in some way...despite the skeptics.

Surfcrest

arsenal
March 14th, 2015, 12:35
Puckered_penguin. Once again your modus operandi is clear for all to see. You turn up here occasionally and post something while failing to understand even the simplest of ideas. No one has criticised either Take Care or the restaurant.. Some posters have merely asked about the money and the numbers. Difficult to understand why anyone would have a problem with that unless they have a vested interest.

lonelywombat
March 14th, 2015, 14:05
So I was wondering how much of the not cheap 900 Baht was actually donated to this cause?

Im with you there , when they say a %of the profits, how much and what %, goes to the cause

Kommie: Lamb shanks and scrag end are the same in that they are only good for stewing being sinewy, tough and the cheapest bits.

. 900 Baht in Pattaya is is expensive, compared to say Cuisine au Buerre where they charge 340 Baht and have items such as rib eye steak and turbot on the set price menu..[/quote

Puckered_penguin. Once again your modus operandi is clear for all to see. You turn up here occasionally and post something while failing to understand even the simplest of ideas. No one has criticised either Take Care or the restaurant.. Some posters have merely asked about the money and the numbers. Difficult to understand why anyone would have a problem with that unless they have a vested interest.

arsenal I thought the put down on the quality of the food offered by Brunos was disgusting.
I did not include the remarks you made about me ,just repeated your own.

arsenal
March 14th, 2015, 16:11
LonelyWombat. You apparently have run/owned restaurants but are unable to distinguish between expensive ingredients and cheap ones. Well you couldn't have been running them for long if you can't tell the difference between mushrooms and truffles or pork neck and lamb fillet.

scottish-guy
March 14th, 2015, 18:56
... if you can't tell the difference between mushrooms and truffles or pork neck and lamb fillet.

I'm quite sure LW and our other "fine dining" members (the biggest one of whom finally burst some time ago) would not only spell it, but pronounce it Lamb Filet in their best Clouseau accents.

Having said that, if you didn't attend this gastronomic jamboree, or donate to the appeal, then I'd say you have little right to quibble.
In other words, if you don't intend to shit - get off the pot and leave it to somebody who can.

arsenal
March 14th, 2015, 19:08
Scottish Guy. Well they might but even pronounced the French way still has he double l spelling. The only reference to a "filet" that I know of is that of the McDonalds fish burger and they can't use the word fillet because that denotes a whole piece of meat/fish. I reserve the right to quibble as desired, as I'm sure do you.

Brad the Impala
March 14th, 2015, 19:19
Scottish Guy. Well they might but even pronounced the French way still has he double l spelling. The only reference to a "filet" that I know of is that of the McDonalds fish burger and they can't use the word fillet because that denotes a whole piece of meat/fish. I reserve the right to quibble as desired, as I'm sure do you.

Talking of double consonants, it's been irritating me a while and I can hold back no longer!

Power corupts, and absolute power corupts absolutely.

Isn't it "Power corrupts spelling and absolute power destroys grammar?"

As demonstrated by your incorrect insistence that the french spelling of filet should have two "l"s.

arsenal
March 14th, 2015, 19:34
Brad the Impaler: I have made the necessary changes and I'm awfully sorry for all thre misery it's caused you.

Brad the Impala
March 14th, 2015, 19:49
Thanks Arsenal. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

arsenal
March 14th, 2015, 19:54
Brad: I suggest dinner at Brunos'. I hear the pork neck is fabulous. =P~

scottish-guy
March 14th, 2015, 19:58

You'll find, the pretentious spelling FILET is popular in American "fine dining" establishments.

I believe the French use it occasionally too :))

Brad the Impala
March 14th, 2015, 19:59
Absolument Arsenal!

arsenal
March 14th, 2015, 20:04
Mea culpa. :((

lonelywombat
March 15th, 2015, 07:22
... if you can't tell the difference between mushrooms and truffles or pork neck and lamb fillet.

I'm quite sure LW and our other "fine dining" members (the biggest one of whom finally burst some time ago) would not only spell it, but pronounce it Lamb Filet in their best Clouseau accents.

Having said that, if you didn't attend this gastronomic jamboree, or donate to the appeal, then I'd say you have little right to quibble.
In other words, if you don't intend to shit - get off the pot and leave it to somebody who can.

As arsenal does not understand the difference between the cheap shit mushrooms and a mushroom terrine , here is the recipe one of my friends uses in his restaurant.

Mushroom Terrine is a great family bonding experience. It takes some time to assemble but the end result is always so exciting, extremely satisfying and certainly delicious! This pressed terrine was part of our Christmas Dinner this year but it is equally good as familyтАЩs everyday food. The artfully layered mushrooms like Golden Chanterelles, Trumpet Royals and other tiny varieties, are molded into the terrine which when sliced reveals the exciting eye-catching тАЬinterior designтАЭ. Serve it along with some salad of peppery arugula or rainbow of microgreens tossed in light vinaigrette.

Here is the link to the recipe he currently uses. It may not be the one Bruno uses but similar

http://artdefete.com/mushroom-terrine/

Surfcrest
March 15th, 2015, 08:50
I like the Lopburi idea best, where you donate money for dinner and then you donate the dinner to the monkeys.

Surfcrest

arsenal
March 15th, 2015, 11:39
Wombat: I never used the derogatory word you did and would be very unlikely to do so to talk about food but hey, not everyone chooses to be as uncouth as you. Is that how you talked when you 'owned/ran' restaurants? Were they on a sheep farm? In fact, I never mentioned the quality of the food at all. Anyone can tell you that it is quite possible to make something delicious out of cheaper ingredients. Indeed as a former "restaurateur' I would have thought you would know that.

Nirish guy
March 15th, 2015, 19:39
I like the Lopburi idea best, where you donate money for dinner and then you donate the dinner to the monkeys. Surfcrest

well now what with my being a hungry hole Irish man I'd have to draw the line there I'm afraid as while I'm more than happy to do my bit for charity and all that I'm sorry but NO fucker, monkey or not is eating MY dinner ! lol And In Ireland you'll see many people walking about with fork marks in the back of their hand where some unsuspecting tourist has tried the old "oh are you not eating that last sausage" routine with a local, only to end up with a trip to casualty after having to have said fork surgically removed ! lol

joe552
March 15th, 2015, 19:50
It should be pointed out that NIrish guy's scenario would only happen north of the border. People in the Republic wouldn't dream of treating a tourist in that way (psst NIrish - it's St Patrick's Day in a couple of days - don't scare away the tourists) :ymhug: