PDA

View Full Version : Chiang Mai Massage and Bars - update

BonTong
February 15th, 2015, 09:04
A little update for anyone visiting Chiang Mai. "The Clampdown" on certain activities recently announced by the government seems to be having an effect with some venues closed or toning down there act.

At least the following massage places were, or have been closed, either by the owners as a precaution, or by an outside inspection force: Gemini, Marn Mai, Paradise, River House and De Lamur. If you want to visit any massage place it might be wise to call ahead to check the status.

Free Guy was closed for a few days last week but has re-opened and, apparently, Circle Pub has no show at the moment.

Some of the information above is second hand so I can't vouch for its accuracy but thought it was worth passing on.

BonTong
February 16th, 2015, 08:37
Update from a couple of the owners: Paradise is open but De La Mur will be closed throughout February.

lukylok
February 25th, 2015, 12:28
Further update :
Free Guy seems to be closed for at least a month. The owner seems ready to sell at the first offer.
Adam's is nearly full every night, and has very large choice of boys.
Orion Bar has completely renewed its pool table. It's a pleasure to play !
And has a 4 new helping staff, very attractive and not shy !

fountainhall
February 25th, 2015, 14:12
Free Guy seems to be closed for at least a month. The owner seems ready to sell at the first offer.
The owner has advertised to that effect on gaythailand.

BonTong
February 25th, 2015, 16:39
The owner has advertised to that effect on gaythailand.

http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Freeguy4sale234x358.jpg

And on gay in Chiang Mai (http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2014/popular-host-bar-sale/) ;)

Free Guy has been open some nights but not consistently and has been closed for a couple of different reasons. If you are interested in going worth calling before hand Free Guy (http://freeguy-club.com/)

BonTong
February 26th, 2015, 11:13
Busy weekend ahead in Chiang Mai. For those of you who are here or visiting: February ends with parties (http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2015/february-ends-parties/)

For those of you living elsewhere in Thailand now is still a good time to visit Chiang Mai. Night time temperatures are quite pleasant, whilst daytime is getting hotter, and the hoards of Chinese tourists are leaving. Most importantly, air quality is yet to deteriorate too badly and we can still clearly see the mountain with the glittering Chedi of Doi Suteph. Window of opportunity is only likely to last another week or two before it really gets hot and hazy.

[attachment=0:2xp9maj4]Doi Sutep in Chiang Mai.jpg[/attachment:2xp9maj4]

paulosussex
February 27th, 2015, 10:57
Mmm, that was tempting fate as today the wind has dropped and the haze has invaded the city... Doi Sutep may be glittering but you'd be hard pressed to tell that from the city today. Still, the temperatures are as BT says lovely and the food is great as always.
Cheers

BonTong
March 4th, 2015, 06:06
Mmm, that was tempting fate as today the wind has dropped and the haze has invaded the city...
Yes indeed, sadly the pollution has got steadily worse over the last few days. As of yesterday, pollution levels were apparently in the danger zone, according to Chiang Mai City News (http://chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4872)

The other bad news is "the clampdown" is back on with at least two bars being paid a visit in the last couple of nights, and one apparently closed down. If you want to visit any specific venue in the near future you might want to call ahead to check they are open and offering what you expect.

paulosussex
March 4th, 2015, 09:33
The other bad news is "the clampdown" is back on with at least two bars being paid a visit in the last couple of nights
Yes, I was at Orion Bar on Monday when a visit took place and a large brown envelope was exchanged, and last night things were very edgy at Adam's with only a few boys turning up for work. Everywhere will be closed tonight of course because of Makha Bucha Day, so let's hope things are better by the weekend.

Cheers

a447
March 4th, 2015, 16:39
Ah....the Orion Bar! One of my favourite bars in LOS with Mai at the helm. What a charmer he is!

At the moment I'm tossing up between going to Pattaya or Chiang Mai. The thought of another Songkhran in Pattaya sends shivers down my spine - I believe it's a lot more civilised up in Chiang Mai. But if they're cracking down on gay places in CM I guess I'll have to go to Pattaya.

Paul, were the cops just at Orion to collect their tea money, or was it something more serious?

paulosussex
March 4th, 2015, 18:38
It appeared to just be the usual but they did arrive in a marked pick up with the lights flashing. Adams had 3 guys working last night and free guy is closed. Secrets and CU are pretty quiet and a lot of the freelancers have left to sort their papers out or just left. 2 Brothers has now been renamed 6 Sisters and you'd be more likely to get a fuck in the Vatican, ok if you're a top of course.
At least the weather picked up today and a blisteringly warm wind has cleared the haze.
Songkran is pretty painful here with the breeders around TaPhae, I'm not sure it's a good bet over Pattaya.
I'm off the Bali that week.
Cheers

BonTong
March 5th, 2015, 07:50
At least the weather picked up today and a blisteringly warm wind has cleared the haze.
Beautiful morning in Chiang Mai today, though I expect it will get very hot later in the day. Along with the wind it got cloudy and humid yesterday, hoped we might get a thunderstorm but it never came.

It appeared to just be the usual but they did arrive in a marked pick up with the lights flashing. Adams had 3 guys working last night and free guy is closed. Secrets and CU are pretty quiet and a lot of the freelancers have left to sort their papers out or just left.
If they were real Police it was likely legitimate, collecting for the temple or the Red Box boys (ours even give receipts :-o ). They usually send gophers to pick up the real tea money. ;)

With the recent flare ups in the Shan State many of the boys are collecting one way tickets to Loi Tai Leang. One guy I know is off to see if he can add to his collection of war wounds. Not a good time to be going back across the border unless you like wearing Khaki.

Songkran is pretty painful here with the breeders around TaPhae, I'm not sure it's a good bet over Pattaya.
I'm off the Bali that week.
Every year I promise myself I will get out of town, every year I stay in CM and hate Songkran even more. This year I will definitely get away, maybe..... 8-|

paulosussex
March 5th, 2015, 08:59
Hi,
I just heard that the police have asked all entertainment venues in Bangkok to close at midnight for at least the next two weeks and there are to be no exceptions, I hope that doesn't apply up here too. Did you hear anything about it here BT?
Cheers

BonTong
March 5th, 2015, 09:52
I just heard that the police have asked all entertainment venues in Bangkok to close at midnight for at least the next two weeks and there are to be no exceptions, I hope that doesn't apply up here too. Did you hear anything about it here BT?

I saw this article about it: Bangkok nightlife said to be on midnight curfew until further notice (http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/04/bangkok-nightlife-said-be-midnight-curfew-until-further-notice) which doesn't shed much light on it, though hints at it being due to ongoing issues between the Police and Military, related to gambling dens and other illegal activities. Or could be related to some other issue or anticipated event that is not in the public domain.

In CM I know the police have been active earlier this week and visited a couple of the go-gos. Seems the issues relating to that were resolved. Being cynical it seems the BIB from the big smoke like to target long holiday weekends to get out into the provinces (on expenses) ;) Their activities seem to be more targeting venues involved in prostitution, rather than late night, but I heard a couple of places kept their doors shut as a precaution.

I haven't heard about a specific order in Chiang Mai, and so far (apart from Tuesday/Wednesday nights) all the places where you can drink after midnight are apparently operating normally. Historically, there does seem to be a clean up and fund raising drive in the weeks before the big festivals, Loy Krathong and Songkran, but not much activity when the tourists are in the town. In a trickle up economy those at the top don't like to disturb their income stream too much :-o .

BonTong
March 5th, 2015, 15:40
More info, or rather, more confusion: Bangkok Party Shutdown: Confusion as nightlife scene braces for difficult weeks ahead (http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/05/bangkok-party-shutdown-confusion-nightlife-scene-braces-difficult-weeks-ahead) :-?

It mentions Thonglor Police so may only be a local issue - they have a new boss after the "foreigner harassment debacle" (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/police-harassment-bangkok-t31516.html). Time will tell what happens in CM.

BonTong
March 9th, 2015, 13:46
Now the pollution is bad, compare with two weeks ago :( (see earlier pic in this thread)
[attachment=0:3qd1vq1p]WP_20150309_12_10_22_Pro.jpg[/attachment:3qd1vq1p]

Good time to go to Phuket ;) Cough, Cough, Splutter,

Chiang Mai should be OK by Songkran though...

paulosussex
March 9th, 2015, 21:34
Hi,
Agreed, bloody horrible today and looks like no respite in sight for the week to come...
On a more positive note, Adam's Apple was firing on all cylinders on Saturday with a lot of guys returning to work and a pretty happy and upbeat atmosphere.
Cheers