PDA

View Full Version : Taipei

a447
January 28th, 2015, 08:59
Im looking for somewhere to go in April after Phnom Penh, Thailand and Penang. Any suggestions?

I've kind of given up on Seoul, and Manila just seems too hard.

So, what about Taipei? Anybody have some up to date information?

I've searched the net and the gay boards, but I need someone who has actually been there.

Cheers.

a447
January 28th, 2015, 13:36
Mmm.....just read Kakadai's thread below. Nirish's experience in Taiwan doesn't sound all that encouraging.

January 28th, 2015, 15:35
The boys always flock to one so answering for others is a risky endeavour. However I've heard good things about Taiwanese boys and my other Australian correspondent tells me Grindr in Sydney and Melbourne is jammed full of horny Taiwanese boys there on a working holiday. Since most of us don't pursue boys 24/7 you have to consider what else to do. I've heard the Guandu Nature Park in Taipei is just the thing if you're fond of animal spirits.

Failing that there's always North Korea.

Surfcrest
January 28th, 2015, 15:43
In April, for the great weather...I'd chose Cat Ba out in Ha Long Bay in North Vietnam. Plan ahead with the schedule, take the high speed ferry out of Haiphong. I've stayed at the Holiday View Hotel with beautiful views of Cat Ba, the Bay and all the boats and just a short walk around the corner to the beach. It's one of the closest hotels to the beach and the local beach is beautiful (in my opinion) with services (umbrella, chair, food, etc..) and a nice clean beach, shallow for a good way out. There was a disco when I was there last, a big arena like thing...pretty simple, but pretty friendly the crowd. You can catch a boat out to Ha Long Bay from Cat Ba, lots of options with that in mind and that in itself is amazing to see. The food choices are pretty simple, but you're on the sea and so fish and seafood is fresh and affordable.

[attachment=1:t2acxdqc]IMG_2752.JPG[/attachment:t2acxdqc]

[attachment=0:t2acxdqc]IMG_2739.JPG[/attachment:t2acxdqc]

Surfcrest

Nirish guy
January 29th, 2015, 06:28
As already me mentioned sex / craic wise I had a fairly shit time in Taiwan but I fully accept that others have said the opposite so I'm quite happy to accept and concede that perhaps it WAS just totally my own fault there, however to give myself some credit I did put in the effort as normal whilst there but found it just wasn't happening and ( gay life wise) I did strongly feel like an unwelcome ( invisible) outsider in general - and with my shit memory for me to remember that feeling now a few years later that confirms to ME that it must have been crap enough to leave that imprint on me.

I should add that I did quite like the place in general and was happy to have gone to see it etc but sex / guy / fucking wise It definitely didn't do it for me but I'm always keen and happy to hear others views as if it was "me" then I'll maybe put it back on my list to try again someday.

I get your comment about Manilla too but have you thought of once getting there jumping on the short connecting flight to Cebu as its a lot more chilled and relaxed and I believe there's plenty of guys who would be more than happy to say hi to you there perhaps ?

fountainhall
January 29th, 2015, 09:58
I've been a regular visitor to Taipei around 25 or so years, most recently about 3 times a year including the last four October Gay Pride Parades (last year 65,000 attended). I love the place and reckon Taiwan guys are amongst the most gorgeous in Asia.

First impressions

It's easy to get to the city. Taxis at the airport are quite expensive (around US$35) but there are regular and inexpensive buses to the domestic airport and the main train station. The modern subway (MRT) makes it a very easy city to get around with fares to most destinations US$1 (NT$30). There's a wide variety of hotels to suit all budgets including hostels. The city has a number of attractive sites to see (the National Museum with many of ChinaтАЩs most precious artifacts is an absolute must), but generally most of it is not what you'd call an attractive city. This is largely because when Chiang Kai Shek and his 2 million followers fled to Taiwan after being seen off by Mao's troops in 1949, Chiang assumed their stay would be temporary and with the help of the USA he'd soon be back in Beijing. Things like town planning were therefore not a priority.

Gay Scene

Unlike Bangkok and Pattaya, the gay scene is not nearly as тАЬin your faceтАЭ. But it is there and it is well worth the effort to explore. The main problem in the bars is that most Taiwanese guys go out in groups. So if you see someone you like in a bar, the chances are heтАЩs with a bunch of his mates and may be reluctant to break away from that group. So you need to be patient. Another issue is that many guys have only limited English. A third is that many Taiwan guys can be a bit shy with foreigners. But again thatтАЩs no reason not to approach someone provided you do so tactfully and respectfully. A good place to start exploring is the Red House close to Exit 1 at the Ximen (pronounced тАЬshe-menтАЭ) subway station. This is a bit like BangkokтАЩs Silom Soi 4 with lots of gay bars and eating places. It can be a bit quiet during the week but really comes alive on Fridays, Saturdays and public holidays.

A good place to meet guys is at some of the various gay saunas. There are lists on various sites. These range from Aniki which is reputed to come close to Babylon in Bangkok and usually has many dozens (occasionally 100s) of guys mostly in their 20s and 30s, to much smaller and older places like Hans Mens Sauna which is 100 meters from the Red House, or much larger, older places like Rainbow about 200 meters away. Aniki has recently been remodeled. Hans is rather dingy, in desperate need of renovation and has a wider age range, but it is usually possible to meet students there. Rainbow has a relatively young crowd but there are lots of reports in chat rooms of their having lots of тАШattitudeтАЩ and being generally unwelcoming to foreigners.

Taipei has some gay massage parlours. I have never visited but am told many of the masseurs are handsome and the massages are good. However, happy endings are limited to hand jobs. If you are into open-air cruising, 228 Park (used to be called the New Park) a few blocks behind the main station and the Caesar Park Hotel has for decades been one of the main areas to meet local guys.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/fountainhall/TPE_Pagoda_Park_lr.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/fountainhall/media/TPE_Pagoda_Park_lr.jpg.html)

Hot Springs

Taiwan was a colony of Japan for 50 years and hot springs were developed in areas of volcanic activity just outside the city. These are not just hot pools but mini social districts with restaurants and bars in addition to the bathing areas. Two are exclusively for men. I have only been to one which attracts mostly guys in their 20s тАУ 40s.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/fountainhall/Taipei_Hot_Spring_Brochure.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/fountainhall/media/Taipei_Hot_Spring_Brochure.jpg.html)

Over the Gay Pride week-end it is so packed youтАЩll have to queue for up to an hour to get a locker and then you will not see the water as it is so packed with bodies. At other times, Friday evenings, Saturdays and Sundays should find lots of young guys but I have found quite a few guys there most days of the week. Unlike Thais, Taiwanese guys have no hang-ups about walking around naked without covering any of their bodies. Many of the younger ones have done their military service and so have well-toned bodies. There is a tiny sauna but it has a light on and since a few straight guys also attend, action is limited. But bodies are literally jam-packed next to each other most of the time! So, not a place for sex but sometimes you can meet and chat with Taiwanese or other Asian visitors and exchange phone numbers for later.

Getting there is easy. Just take the subway to Shipai station, exit in the direction the train is taking. On your right is a taxi rank. Show this card to the taxi.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/fountainhall/Taipei_Hot_Spring_Card.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/fountainhall/media/Taipei_Hot_Spring_Card.jpg.html)

The drive up a steep hill will take about 10 minutes and cost around US$4.50. You can also take a bus for around US$1, but I strongly recommend a taxi for the first time. If you forget to take a small towel with you, you can buy one at reception. Entrance is around US$10. When you leave, the girls at reception will order a taxi either to the subway station or your hotel BUT you must have its name and address written in Chinese. They do not speak English. There are more details on this blogsite тАУ

http://simonlover83.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... 51a355da46 (http://simonlover83.blogspot.com/2013/05/all-male-all-nude-chuan-tang-hot-spring.html?zx=73c36f51a355da46)

Social Networking

For your first visit, I strongly suggest linking up a few days in advance with one or two guys from gay romeo, gaydar or fridae. A guide is extremely useful тАУ and may be extremely cute! Once there, the usual social networking sites especially jack'd are very popular.

a447
January 29th, 2015, 14:21
Thanks for your replies.

Kommie, I just love your suggestion of North Korea. Of course, it was always on my radar but I've been told access to all the gay gogo bars, steamy saunas and massage places is limited to Communist Party cardholders only. And I don't have time to organise a card. And Gayromeo, jack'd and the like are totally useless, as the Internet in North Korea can be unreliable at times. Still, who knows - you may soon be reading a Pyongyang Report from me.

NIrish, if you couldn't have fun in Taiwan then nobody could!

Surfcrest, I've already been to Ha Long Bay. I know why it's called Ha Long - For Christ's sake, ha long till we get back to shore?? I hated the whole experience. And, of course, gay life is non-existant.

Fountainhall, doomo arigatou. I knew I could rely on you. Thanks for that comprehensive report. Having read it, I might just take the chance and give Taiwan a look. It would be great to find a sauna/hotspring that also caters to ...err....older gentlemen. I'd hate to turn up and find myself amongst a bunch of 20 year olds. I'd feel completely out of place.

I need to give it some more thought. If all else fails, there's always Chiang Mai again.

Nirish guy
January 29th, 2015, 15:22
NIrish, if you couldn't have fun in Taiwan then nobody could!

Honestly, knowing mess you do that's sort of what I was trying to get across as trust me I spent a full week trying VERY hard and out of two gay massage places I went to only one offered begrudgingly offered a happy ending and he didn't make as much as eye contact with the whole time and there was definitely a feeling of "fine, if I really MUST but let's get this over with as quickly as possible and go please now".

And I soent a lot of time in the red barn area each night ( my - the only - gay hotel was right beside it and the above poster is quite correct about the guys going out in groups etc but I would differ in his view of them being shy and not having great English etc ( yes I was told all those excuses too by several people) but based on my own witnessing and judging of human interactions they weren't shy they just wanted nothing to do with me / a white guy / a foreigner and after several days of me having this discussion with my gay hotel manager and a few other people in the one gay friendly bar who did speak ( but not fuck) me they eventually conceded the point and agreed I might have a point but they didn't like to admit it and have their fellow countrymen appear unfriendly / racist - but like I said I look forward to other's opinions incase I was just having an off week or just wasn't ANYONES type perhaps.

But also just to repeat I did like seeing the place and wouldn't say never go, give it a twirl for a wee change and "who knows" - it could be YOU :-)

fountainhall
January 29th, 2015, 17:03
It would be great to find a sauna/hotspring that also caters to ...err....older gentlemen. I'd hate to turn up and find myself amongst a bunch of 20 year olds. I'd feel completely out of place.
No need to worry. I have been many times to that hot spring and to one of those saunas. In the hot spring I am almost always older than anyone else (and less in shape), often by a considerable margin. Absolutely no-one bats an eyelid.

. . . the above poster is quite correct about the guys going out in groups etc but I would differ in his view of them being shy and not having great English etc ( yes I was told all those excuses too by several people) but based on my own witnessing and judging of human interactions they weren't shy they just wanted nothing to do with me / a white guy / a foreigner . . .
Clearly our experiences differ. But it really is fact that most Taiwan gays are shy about interacting with foreigners and a great many have limited English. One reason is that there are far fewer foreign expats basing themselves in Taipei than in, say, Hong Kong, Manila, Bangkok and even Tokyo. So as the gay scene in Taipei has exploded over the last 15 - 20 years it's understandable that the vast majority of Taiwanese have paired off with fellow Taiwanese. I have one very good friend in Taipei who studied in London and really wants to find a English boyfriend. He's been looking for 3 years without success!

As I mentioned, the Red House is great over the week-ends but can be pretty dull on weekdays. Because they are more impersonal, saunas are a better way to hook up during the week. Best, though, is through social networking sites. That way you can easily find those for whom being with a foreigner and language are not issues. I still believe that the key to 'success' is patience, tact and respect. It does take time, and in that regard, I find Taiwan is more like meeting up with japanese guys in Tokyo.

Perhaps I am biased and you should take that into consideration. If I was not living in Bangkok, the city I would most prefer to base myself in is Taipei!

New Low Cost Carrier to Taipei

Incidentally, there is a new low cost carrier now flying between Chiang Mai and Taipei, and from March 1st also from Bangkok (Don Mueang) to Taipei. Fares are very competitive with round trips as low as Bt. 5,145 from CNX and Bt. 6,890 from DMK - both with 15 kg baggage allowance.

http://www.flyvair.com/en/plan/promotions

January 31st, 2015, 06:58
Still, who knows - you may soon be reading a Pyongyang Report from me.Even though India recently re-outlawed homosexual behaviour I still got plenty of eye contact when I stopped over in Delhi on my way to Bangkok a couple of weeks ago, as I think I told you over coffee one morning. My other Australian correspondent tells me the cottages and backrooms of Sydney and Melbourne are full of Indians cruising. Mind you, the BO ...

Then of course there's Sri Lanka, home of science fiction writer Arthur C Clarke for many years, apparently just so he could canoodle those dark-skinned boys (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/the-mysterious-sri-lankan-world-of-arthur-c-clarke-1142640.html). India and Sri Lanka must be anathema to the Board's paternalists who believe that the darker-skinned people like the Thais are incapable of democracy, so perhaps a first-hand report?

As an aside I was particularly taken by Indian prime minister Modi's address to your parliament last year where he said "Democracy offers the best opportunity for the human spirit to flourish". Smiles and bkkguy (not to mention the absent lego) must be gnashing their teeth. And he's not even a whitey like them!

a447
January 31st, 2015, 18:38
Yes Kommie, you did talk about the eye contact you got in Delhi. But you didn't call it that - you referred to "stares , glares and looks of derision."

Remember?

February 1st, 2015, 03:54
Yes Kommie, you did talk about the eye contact you got in Delhi. But you didn't call it that - you referred to "stares , glares and looks of derision." Remember?You really have to abandon this Selective Reporting Syndrome of yours. You've omitted their mention of you. What I actually said was "Stares , glares and looks of derision as they called out "Where's the fox terrier? Shame on you for not bringing him too".

svyturys
February 1st, 2015, 07:16
It does take time, and in that regard, I find Taiwan is more like meeting up with japanese guys in Tokyo.

I couldn't agree more. I have not been to Taiwan, but in Japan my experience was quite similar to that of one of the contributors of this forum. I think, men, spoiled by Thailand, often forget why that country is so welcoming. It is poor and having sex with foreigners for cash is a good way of earning money. Whereas in places like Taiwan or Japan boys don't need to sell their asses - those countries provide enough work opportunities for their citizens. And if they do engage in commercial sex, they charge considerably more than Thais and are fully in control.
Should this put you off travelling to richer Asian countries? Absolutely not. As my experience in Japan shows, you just need to make greater effort and lower your expectations a bit. On the brighter side, you don't actually need to pay for sex there and no need to worry about getting ripped off.
Jackd is your best friend in Asia. Grindr is nowhere near as popular, but can be helpful as it attracts asians that fancy whites. My sauna experience was disappointing, but I did not know the etiquette which is, apparently, very important in Japan.
I've got two weeks of holidays in April, so I might actually consider Taiwan if my prime destination, China, proves too bureaucratic. I hate the fact that I need to book my flight before even applying for a visa.

a447
February 1st, 2015, 07:58
I've always seen the gay scene in Korea and Taiwan as probably being very similar to that in Japan. But I'm considering them just because im looking for some place new.

I was looking at various gay sites to see what they said about Kuala Lumpur. It's been off the radar as I've always thought its a bit risky doing the things I do in a Muslim country. However, I read that Muslim laws there only apply to Muslims and Malaysian citizens , who are considered Muslim from birth. Apparently, the laws do not apply to foreigners. If this is true - and I need to do some more research on this - I will consider KL as it seems to have a very vibrant gay scene, albeit a little hidden. And besides, I'll be in Penang, so it will only be a hop, skip and a jump to KL.

Anybody been there recently? I'm particularly interested in saunas and massage places.

fountainhall
February 1st, 2015, 12:07
Most Muslim laws may apply only to Muslims, but that certainly does not mean non-Muslims can do as they please! Caution is certainly advised, despite the many attractions KL has to offer the gay visitor, not least the number of horny guys around. Premarital sex is taboo for Muslims and so many guys are happy to seek release with gay guys.

I was last in KL 18 months ago but used to be a regular visitor. I find it has changed quite a bit. There are a few saunas, including Day Thermos and OTTO2 (where I remain one of the original members as a result of staying with friends when it opened around 20 years ago!) As at some saunas, membership is required plus the entrance fee, but memberships are rarely more than around 25 ringgit.

Day Thermos was always pretty active, but it is tiny and you will not find many guys there except in the early evenings and week-ends. ItтАЩs located in a small alleyway just on the Jalan Sultan Ismail side of the Grand Millennium Hotel (formerly The Regent). It is just 50 meters away from one of the cityтАЩs oldest gay bar/discos, Blue Boy. The Utopia site says it is in its second decade. I can confirm it must be in its 4th decade as I recall spending a few days with a lovely Chinese guy I met there in the mid 1980s. Seems youтАЩll find mostly Malays there now.

There is a more recent sauna named Kakiku which gets very good reviews. Seems to be a bit more like Babylon and attracts a younger Chinese crowd. DonтАЩt know it but am told it has theme nights with Saturday or Sunday being naked nights. If it is anything like OTOT2, there will have the usual sauna facilities but no private rooms. HereтАЩs some more info from a blogger.

http://klgse.blogspot.com/2013/10/kakiku.html

There used to be a few outdoor cruising places, including one especially large and busy open-air dark car park in the evenings. Sorry I just cannot recall where that was, but expect it will have been redeveloped now. Most guides will tell you that the Jalan Bukit Bintang area near Blue Boy and Day Thermos is cruisy and it certainly used to be, including the older shopping mall on the corner, Sungei Wang.

Two caveats. One is that no matter how open and gay friendly KL has become, saunas and massage places (where many of the masseurs come from mainland China) are still occasionally raided on some pretext or another although rarely is anyone arrested. The second is that over the last dozen or so years tourism from Middle Eastern countries has mushroomed. So you will see many Muslim women wearing their all-black abaya and nijab wandering round with their families. This makes such a severe contrast to the brightly coloured dresses and scarves worn by the Malay ladies and I find it quite disconcerting. On the other hand, youтАЩd be there to gaze at the wonderful variety of Malay, Chinese and other guys!

Nirish guy
February 1st, 2015, 18:05
A447 - GO to KL and have fun, it's perfectly fine. The poster above is correct in everything he says and whilst technically care should be taken etc in reality short of you going out in to the main road on bukit bintang with a bill board strapped over your next saying "money boys wanted - 2 per hour - good rate paid - ps I like big cocks" you'll be fine ( hmm I can see that might be a problem for you NOT being able to do that perhaps :-)

Kl is to me a sad reflection of what it once was and yes the Muslim rule book is getting pushed a little harder there now but there are still many gay guys there and as stated even more straight guys who want some fun too ( not my cup of tea though as it tends to be a little one sided I find). A friend of mine is just back after about 4 visits in 3 weeks ( he was using it as his flight hub) and had plenty of action BUT be aware that whilst the sauna is there it's small and not crowded and blue blue was to me a dirty hole ( and not in a good way) but got a crowd ( of MBs) at the weekend, but the other two go to places for actually going out at night ( non sex places but gay and lots of opportunity for pick ups) are Frangipanis on a Friday night and Marketplace on a Saturday night - they are still the two most popular gay places in KL from what I can see and hear.

Likewise when there be sure to have all yourvarious Apps fired up ( Grindr, gay romeo, guy spy, hornet etc ) as when I was there THEY were the main source of meeting guys and mine never stopped and I'd a steady stream of guys visiting my room - and all mainly unpaid mainly what I can recall too.

There are any amount of hotels available right from dirt cheap all the way up, be sure to stay in the Bukit Buntang area as that's where any action you'll find easily is at. I too stayed in the Capitol hotel which was spot on and everything you expect from a western style hotel ( but for half the price or less so I uograded to an executive suite with a corner view which was spot on :-) its certainly central and if not gay friendly they just didn't bother / care who came up to see me - actually no I'll change that they were gay friendly actually as I'd a few guys with me at reception etc for various reasons and thinking back they were treated professionally and in a friendly manner. I also stayed in a hotel on the main bar street ( sorry name escapes me just now but I can look it up if you need it - but it was half the price of the Western hotels and great for location and "ok" room wise and no trouble with guys etc either.

So, my last word, go, it's fine, not bars with go go boys pouring themselves over you or anything but plenty of action online and elsewhere and assuming you're sensible absolutely no problems from the authorities that I could see, one note of caution, don't walk in front of the cars expecting them to stop, they won't - crazy and aggressive drivers single everyone, I nearly learnt that lesson the hard way when I went to walk between two stationery cars in a traffic jam and my BF said don't and I replied why what are they going to do drive over me - yes very nearly was the answer ! lol.

( and apologies for all any typos above) I'm typing this on my phone whilst lying in bed on a Sunday morning with a cute asian guy next to me and I can't be arsed going over it all to check it for errors or autocorrect mistakes so hopefully you get the gist.)

a447
February 1st, 2015, 19:00
Thanks Fountaihall and NIrish for your detailed reports.

I was a bit worried after reading about that English guy who got arrested in Morocco for having gay sex, but as Fountainhall points out, I'll just need to be careful.

So I think I'll just do it. I looked at the Bukit Bintang area and saw that the Capitol Hotel is right in the thick of things.

BTW, thanks NIrish for the warning about going out onto the street and looking for a guy. I guess it's back to the drawing board on that one!

Komme stayed there so I'll just have to phone ahead and make sure the place is thoroughly fumigated, deodorised and sanitised before I arrive...lol.

Nirish guy
February 1st, 2015, 19:24
I was a bit worried after reading about that English guy who got arrested in Morocco for having gay sex, but as Fountainhall points out, I'll just need to be careful.

No, its absolutely nothing like that and don't be going with that in the back of your head or you'll stifle your whole trip ( or should that be HOLE trip :-) - Malaysia seems to pride themselves on being a good intercultural melting pot so whilst certain local laws might be being passed by the City Mayors office to stop the growth in Suanas and gay bars ( or girly bars too for that matter) - a bit like Thailand short of the odd "raid" on the sauna to keep the authorities happy ( and no doubt someone getting their palm greased as the places open up again the next day) there's very little if any hassle - and even then I think its been several years since the last minor raid and no white guys were picked up or involved there in any way even - so, no, just go and enjoy yourself and as you'll see when you get there the place is very vibrant and fairly open and I actually enjoyed the different vibe and the whole muslim thing going on around me as something a little different for a few days ( although just a few days perhaps !).

One of my biggest annoyances I found at night was actually stopping the Muslim guys from trying to take whatever guy I was with away for a quickie behind a parked car or something ! I had to tell several of them where to go at one point as they were harassing and getting quite physical towards the Chinese guy I was with so much it was actually disturbing him as he genuinely wasn't a money boy, but that might have been more to do with the particular area we were in at that time perhaps. Oh I meant to say in my last post be sure to go to the big main shopping centre there in Bukit Bintang and especially the walk through bar / restaurant area that runs along the ground floor as it is quite cruisy when sitting outside the bars so knowing you I'm sure you'll not be short of company for very long there and will come back with tales that will make our toes curl ! :-)

Oh one more thing and I'm sure you probably do anyway - get a taxi from the airport to your hotel ! I always do but for some reason unknown to myself I decided to try getting the train link that was advertised - DON"T as I recall it was a right royal pain in the ass having to wait for connections and do long walks and wait at outdoor train stations and all sorts of crazy shit !! So unless it's improved don't even think about it, just taxi it as doing so isn't that dear anyway and is MUCH easier !

a447
February 3rd, 2015, 16:55
Ok, I've booked it. I'll be in KL for 4 nights and then head off to Chiang Mai.

It will be interesting what I am able to get up to in KL, so I'm now looking forward to it. I hope I can get enough action to warrant a KL Report.

fedssocr
February 21st, 2015, 09:49
I really like Taiwan. But I didn't go there primarily for gay hanky panky. I did visit a couple of massage places and generally had a good time. Similar to HKG or SIN. i.e. more expensive for sure than Thailand but handsome guys. One place the guy kept his shorts on and wouldn't let my hands wander anywhere near his package. The other was more of a Thai style naked massage type thing.

But I really enjoyed Taipei as a city. As FH notes, it is very easy to get around. There are some good sights to see. And if you get out of Taipei there is stunning nature around the island. The high speed rail goes down the west coast linking the major metro areas. I spent a couple of days in Tainan on my last visit.

I can vouch for the fact that Grindr and Jack'd are very popular. I felt like Taiwan was more open than what I have read about Korea which seems to have a very odd culture. But I have not experienced Korea firsthand yet.

fountainhall
February 22nd, 2015, 08:58
I've just booked another trip using the new low cast carrier V-Air. At just under Bt. 6,000 return from BKK, it's a great deal.

GWMinUS
March 6th, 2015, 11:35
I get your comment about Manilla too but have you thought of once getting there jumping on the short connecting flight to Cebu as its a lot more chilled and relaxed and I believe there's plenty of guys who would be more than happy to say hi to you there perhaps ?

Yes, Cebu is a lot more fun than Manila. I go there maybe twice a year and am never disappointed.
But stay in Central, the Resorts are far out on Mactan Island and not much to do except SWIM.
I like the Crown Regency Towers on Jones and had a great stay at the Best Western LEX near the capital.

All the night life is at Mango Square. Many bars and discos and handsome Pinoy guys waiting to be picked up.
Like more Filipinos they expect something in return. Like a gift, shopping trip, or Pesos!!!
But wonderful big CUT cocks!! And hard bodies!!
OH and many Ladyboys if you are into that.

Give Cebu a try. INGAT or Take Care!!
George

fountainhall
May 12th, 2015, 17:41
I can vouch for the fact that Grindr and Jack'd are very popular.
I jut returned from 3 exhausting days in Taipei. This was the first visit when I used Grindr and Jack'd - and what an eye opener! I have always had a great time in the city, but I had no idea there are so many young guys in the 19 to 33ish age group so desperate to meet older guys. I had a great time with seven guys (well, six great and only one dud) and reckon the hotel chambermaids must have been pissed off with my constantly asking for fresh towels. Not one guy even requested transport money! And I still had time to wallow in the eye candy in the gay hot spring.

The new budget airline linking BKK with Taipei V Air was surprisingly good. At Bt. 5,500 return, it's fantastic value.

GWMinUS
June 24th, 2015, 11:40
Fountainhall, doomo arigatou. I knew I could rely on you. Thanks for that comprehensive report. Having read it, I might just take the chance and give Taiwan a look. It would be great to find a sauna/hotspring that also caters to ...err....older gentlemen. I'd hate to turn up and find myself amongst a bunch of 20 year olds. I'd feel completely out of place.

I am planning to stop over in Taipei in early October.
I will be meeting a very long time young Chinese friend there.
But I arrive on Sunday and he will not be back in the City until Monday.
So he suggested I try the Aniki Sauna. He says many younger guys interested in us older Dads.
And I have also been up to the Hot Springs. Great experience.
Looking forward to the visit and many thanks to Fountainahll for the information!!
;)

fountainhall
June 26th, 2015, 22:14
So he suggested I try the Aniki Sauna. He says many younger guys interested in us older Dads.
And I have also been up to the Hot Springs. Great experience.
Looking forward to the visit and many thanks to Fountainahll for the information!!
;)
I have never been to Aniki and hope you have a great time there. Lots of guys usually stay overnight in the saunas on Saturdays and so you get some good times if your flight arrives early and you go almost straight there. The overnighters will generally clear out at noon. A new crowd should then arrive later in the afternoon.

I have now booked another week in Taipei in early August. Given the success I had with the social media chat sites on my May visit, I have already started 'advertising' my visit and continue to be amazed by the number of hits I get from lovely guys. They need to be chatted up slowly over a period of days as most are much more discreet than Thai guys. But it is more than worth the effort!!

Phred
July 11th, 2015, 10:11
fountainhall wrote:

The new budget airline linking BKK with Taipei V Air was surprisingly good. At Bt. 5,500 return, it's fantastic value.

Thanks for writing about your experience with V Air fountainhall. I was eyeing their excellent fares for my upcoming trip but wondered if it was a good idea. Your endorsement clinched it and I am now booked on a flight later this month. IтАЩll report my experiences when I return.

By the way, I fly the reverse trip as Taipei is my home. Depending on your priorities, Taiwan can be a great vacation destination for you expats living just a four hour plane ride away. And at these new fares, itтАЩs a fairly cheap trip. Hotels are more expensive here than Thailand but you can find decent prices in 3 star biz class hotels and food here can be inexpensive if you stick to night market and buffet restaurants. Transportation around Taipei and even the excellent bus from the airport is very inexpensive.

So why visit Taiwan? First of all thereтАЩs the food, Taiwan is a foodieтАЩs paradise for Chinese as well as western, fusion, etc. Lots of experimentation and creation in the upscale restaurants but the night market food is another delicious inexpensive adventure.

World class museums, nightlife, fantastic fauna and flora, mountain hiking, nature parks, lots of interesting Chinese culture if you are predisposed to it, even some decent beach resorts at the southern tip of the island if beaches are a must for you. Best of all are the fantastically, and genuinely, friendly people. You wonтАЩt feel more genuinely welcomed as a foreigner anywhere else that I have found in Asia. I feel lucky to call it home. And the transportation is super convenient and very inexpensive (and easy to navigate in English). TaxiтАЩs and buses are cheap and the MRT goes just about everywhere in Taipei (also inexpensive). You could spend a whole holiday just getting off various MRT stops and hitting the attractions. The high speed train running the east coast and hitting the major cities (well worth stopping at) is a dream. I much prefer it to flying. No preboarding hassles and smooth riding with plenty of leg room. English is widely spoken in the major tourist areas and by much of the population as well though not everybody/everywhere. Even medical tourism is popular here with the excellent health care system.

As for hooking-up, I can sympathize with some of the above comments. Taiwanese guys are group oriented like most Asian cultures. And so going to the Red House can be an exercise in frustration as it is several open air bars with mostly tables of groups sitting together so striking up conversations can be difficult and no dancing takes place there. There are other more traditional gay bars and Karaoke joints but itтАЩs been quite a while since I frequented them.

fountainhall wrote:

I jut returned from 3 exhausting days in Taipei. This was the first visit when I used Grindr and Jack'd - and what an eye opener! I have always had a great time in the city, but I had no idea there are so many young guys in the 19 to 33ish age group so desperate to meet older guys. I had a great time with seven guys (well, six great and only one dud) and reckon the hotel chambermaids must have been pissed off with my constantly asking for fresh towels. Not one guy even requested transport money! And I still had time to wallow in the eye candy in the gay hot spring.

fountainhall is spot on in that social media is very big here.

fountainhall

I have now booked another week in Taipei in early August. Given the success I had with the social media chat sites on my May visit, I have already started 'advertising' my visit and continue to be amazed by the number of hits I get from lovely guys. They need to be chatted up slowly over a period of days as most are much more discreet than Thai guys. But it is more than worth the effort!!

I, myself, go back to the days when New Park (now Peace Park), the one that was written about in the gay novel The Crystal Boys, was packed at night with cruising guys. Now it is a shadow of itтАЩs former self due to social media (though still some traffic so you never know). Check GayRomeo a couple of weeks before you go and depending on your bait you should be able to arrange some contacts at least, if not solid dates. When I say bait I mean gentlemen born after 1970 or so. Those of you in decent shape/looks should have no problem. When I first came here I was in my mid-30тАЩs and it was truly like shooting fish in a barrel. I met the love of my life here and our relationship lasted nine years and we are still very close friends.

Now I predate that 1970 year by a decade and am no oil painting but in the last 5 years I had a couple of short-term boyfriends who were undergraduates and a handful of dates that definitely wanted to pursue me further but whom I didnтАЩt (for various reasons too long to go into here). I have no experience with Grindr and Jack'd because, for personal reasons, I avoid short time encounters. The Saunas are always busy and all cats are grey in the dark (personally I would never risk it but to each his own). Having said that I would say that STDs are pretty prevalent here so always err on the side of caution. Young guys here (and everywhere probably) seem to do much barebacking (they just didnтАЩt experience the early HIV/AIDS scares us old guys did). And beyond that, anal warts, chlamydia, hepatitis, etc, etc. are all possibilities.

There are the rub and tug massage joints that are basically the same here as elsewhere. I think Nirish guyтАЩs experience was a real anomaly but donтАЩt expect anything more than a happy ending. There are no moneyboys in Taiwan. Gay guys have a saying here: тАЬItтАЩs okay to be a slut, just not a whoreтАЭ.

So, if you decide to come here, do so for very interesting cultural, gastronomic, sightseeing and social reasons. Come with the attitude that if you hook-up fine but if not Taiwan is more than worth your while for an interesting side trip from Thailand. When I first visited Thailand (my first excursion out of Taiwan) I kept having the feeling I was visiting Taiwanese cousins. Taiwanese guys (IMHO) are without question THE most attractive guys in Asia and the eye candy alone is worth it. But with pre-trip effort, and a little bit aтАЩ luck, even us senior guys find company that is more genuine than found elsewhere, if not always stunning.

Taiwan is a very undervalued vacation destination. Try it, youтАЩll like it.

fountainhall
July 22nd, 2015, 10:56
Taiwanese guys (IMHO) are without question THE most attractive guys in Asia and the eye candy alone is worth it. But with pre-trip effort, and a little bit aтАЩ luck, even us senior guys find company that is more genuine than found elsewhere, if not always stunning.
Great post - and couldn't agree more! Can't wait to get on the flight to Taipei in a couple of weeks! A whole week in the city. I'm anticipating an embarrassment of riches!

even some decent beach resorts at the southern tip of the island if beaches are a must for you
Note: there is even a gay beach close to Taipei at the end of the red subway line not far from Danshui. I've never been but it's named Sha Lun Beach and there's a map here -

http://www.gayscout.com/en/entry45369/Sha-Lun-Beach