PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Chinese New Year In Bangkok

Surfcrest
January 27th, 2015, 03:16
2015 Chinese New Year In Bangkok

Location: Celebrations Throughout Bangkok Are Mainly Centered Around Chinatown (Yaowarat).
Cost: All Events Are Free To Attend.
When Is It: February 19th, 2015
Festivities: 3 days centered on Chinese Lunar New Year.
Full event schedule & times listed at the bottom of this page.

The events spread out from Chinatown to other major temples throughout Bangkok and are even attended by the Thai Princess who takes part in special ceremonies. Chinatown has vast and a substantial Chinese population giving Bangkok probably the best Chinese New Year's to attend outside of China itself. There have been Chinese in the area for hundreds of years before Bangkok was even established and most were moved to the current Chinatown in 1782 to make way for the current Grand Palace Complex. A visit to Bangkok's Chinese New Year celebration is historic, very festive, and a memorable experience.

What is Chinese New Year?

Chinese New Year or Spring Festival is based off of the ancient Chinese Lunar Calendar started in 2,698 BC, thousands of years before the modern calender developed in the 1500s. To put how old it is into perspective, the Chinese Lunar based calendar was being used 2,000 years before the Romans even added the month of January around 700 BC. Each year of the Chinese Calendar is also tied to an animal like Year of the Horse or Year of the Monkey. It's said that the animal years started around 500 BC when Buddha asked all the animals to meet him on Chinese New Year. 12 of the animals showed up and Buddha named a year after each one. Since then the animal years have rotated each year in 12 year cycles and it's said you gain difference fortunes depending on which year or sign you are born under.

The Chinese New Year's celebration itself has 3 different purposes: to celebrate the year you are leaving, to gather with family, and to ring in good luck for the upcoming year. While people outside of China mainly see the celebration side, it is the family gathering that is may be the most impressive. Typically all generations in a family travel to be together for a number of days over Chinese New Year which in China is somewhat of a great migration. Transit becomes utterly bogged down as 100s of millions of people are all on the move at the same time. Even in Bangkok the influx of people can be felt far and wide during Chinese New Year.

The festive part ringing in of the New Year is our favorite part as loud drums, red shirts, dragons, and more are used to scare away evil spirits. Through the 3 day period homes are also cleaned to make way for good look and superstitious residents give offerings for spiritual good favor. These offerings range from burning bank notes, giving red envelopes to family with even dollar amounts inside, praying to deities, burning incense, lighting candles, and much more. The color red is everywhere and is symbolizes fire used, along with drums and firecrackers, to ward the demon serpent Nian that was said to ravage villages in ancient China.

While the events are almost entirely centered over the 3 day New Year period itself, the celebrations can run as long as the 15th day of the new Lunar Year. Using the Lunar Moon Cycles, the Chinese New Year ends up falling between the end of January and middle of February every year. The main 3 days of the Festival include Spring Festival Eve, then the Spring Festival or New Year, followed by New Year's Day. So when you see the date for Chinese New Year it is actually the last day of the Lunar Year.

What To Expect For New Year In Bangkok:

It can be really hard to know what to expect during Chinese New Year in Bangkok, but we are here to help. Before our first visit we couldn't find out any information on events even after email local hotels, but the celebration definitely happens and it's huge. If you can be in town the actual day of Chinese New Year (Spring Festival) it will be impossible to miss the festivities near Chinatown. On the day before and after Chinese New Year (Spring Festival's Eve & New Year's Day) there are also smaller scale celebrations that are still fun, especially along Yaowarat Road. Expect to see Chinese lanterns and decorations hung up at least until 15 days after the New Year which marks the end of the Spring Festival in a celebratory day called the Lantern Festival.

During the main day of Chinese New Year traffic will be shut down on all of Yaowarat Road so expect if you are coming by taxi that you'll be dropped off a block away, your driver isn't trying to scam you. Why would you have to block off the main street of a huge bustling neighborhood? When you get there you'll understand as the festivities are huge. At the peak times of the day, the 4 lane Yaowarat Road and its sidewalks become almost shoulder to shoulder with the sea of visitors. While on the surface that may sound annoying, we actually found it to be awesome as it added to the experience.

Pretty much all day you'll see lion dancers, drummers, and vendors trying to help you get your good luck on. Mid day is a good time to visit some local temples before they become swamped. The activity starts to really grow around 3pm with the first of the Dragon Parades where traditional Chinese and Thai dancers join a long dragon snaking through Yaowarat Road. The dragon's tail for the parade is much longer than the typical two man dragon outfit at 100s of feet long and takes dozens people to operate. Typically there is a member of the Royal Thai family who as part of the evening Dragon Parade whom Thai Nationals cheer loud for. There is both a great respect for Chinese culture by the people of Bangkok and a lot of national pride in Thailand from residents with Chinese heritage.

After dark all of the Chinese lanterns are lit up making the celebration truly beautiful. A lot of the focus after dark goes to the huge stage near the Chinatown Gate where traditional musicians and dancers perform. Don't be surprised to see acrobatics spinning on the tops of 40 foot poles with firecrackers on their feet. While there are firecrackers, there is not the abundance of full on fireworks in Bangkok that you'd see in China for Chinese New Year. The night time Dragon Parade is our favorite as the long dragon is brought to life when its bright LED are lit up. When we were there the Dragon was held up high by a large human pyramid in the main stage to battle an acrobatic balancing on a tall pole. This battle was meant to symbolize the people fighting off the mighty demon serpent Nian and to scare off bad luck for the coming year.

If Yaowarat Road is too busy for you, you can still get the full on feel of Chinese New Year at most of the main temples in and near Chinatown. Most of the major outlying temples are visited by the Thai Princesses and are decorated for their arrival. Two of our favorite places to visit during New Year sit just across the Choa Phraya River. They are Wat Arun and the Mang Nguan Ha Shrine which is right in front of the Princess Mother Park. Both of these temples are particularly pretty around dusk in the days around Chinese New Year as tons of lanterns bring them to life.

Even if you are sticking closer to Chinatown the Kuan Yim Shrine and Dragon Flower Temple can be magically during New Year. The Dragon Flower Temple is normally a sea of incense smoke but at this time of the year it just feels extra special. Bring your camera, but make sure to take it slow and appreciate the sounds and smells of the Dragon Flower Temple. If you really want to feel part of the events buy a candle and incense to light as an offering or take it a step further and buy some special Joss paper bank notes for burning. We hope you enjoy Chinese New Year in Bangkok.

Event Schedule & Times For Chinese New Year 2015:

Spring Festival's Eve (Feb 18th): The Day Before Chinese New Year
Various events and small parades spread around Chinatown most of the day and evening. There is no set schedule for these events, but throughout the day you will also see acrobatic demonstrations and dragon dancers. It is a good build up to the main event the next day. In the evening many homes host traditional reunion dinners for their visiting family members.

Chinese New Year (Feb 19th): Also called the Spring Festival
Throughout the day the Thai Princess, drummers, lion dancers, and the long Dragon make their way to all the major Temples in Bangkok. We ran into the Princess and her crew while around 11am at Wat Arun. Below is the official schedule our hotel gave us for the main events on Yaowarat Road which was pretty accurate each year.
Noon: Official start although a lot of stuff is set up by 10am
3pm: First Dragon Parade on Yaowarat Road
5:45pm: Fan Dance
7pm: Golden Dragon Dance
8:20pm: Fan Dance
8:30pm: Thai singers and dancers start at the stage near Chinatown Gate and go off and on until midnight
9:30pm: Dragon Parade with the long dragon all lit up in LED lights. If the road is being cleared by police and they move you to the sidewalk it is because the Thai Princess is about to make her way through.
10:50pm: Traditional Drummers get a solo

New Year's Day (Feb 20th): 1st day of the new Lunar Year
Largely considered a day of rest and hanging out with family, but there are still many events around Chinatown. Expect the neighborhood to still be more festive than normal because of the influx of visitors.

The Lantern Festival (March 5th): 15th day of the new Lunar Year
Marks the official end to the Spring Festival and people go all out with fancy lanterns. Many of them are colorful and have the sign for the year the owner of the lantern was born, but others are large pieces of art resembling cartoon characters and more.

[attachment=0:3ijimmkv]IMG_0971.JPG[/attachment:3ijimmkv]

pong
January 27th, 2015, 13:19
Most of the times I keep to myself now, but much above is just tourist nonsense. having spent those days in BKk for the last 12 years at least:
Its easy enough to not notice it at all-most tourists are not specifically aimed at Yaowarat. Plus that the area there is under metro construction and partly torn down.
What you mainly will see is closed shops, with signs that they reopen a few days later. The Thai workers hope for a well-filled red angpaow from their bosses.
That BKK is the 2nd best to celebrate is nonsense- I once was in the aftermath in Penang, which is majority Chinese, and there it certainly was much more festive-and more intimate too.
What sadly is a result of it all the last years, is that so many Chinese come to here, expecting festivities-and only after taking it some years for the TAT to realise, they started doing something. But more as half of times it was cancelled due to unrest or whatever. Though not much chance on that this year.
As TH is also currently overwhelmed by visiting mainland Chinese-and yes indeed, some claim its here more ''authentic'' as they know from back home, there is a serious crunch on accomm. in that week.
For ricequeens: also most gay venues in the tourist ghetto will be overflown with those visitors.

QueueDeCastor
February 2nd, 2015, 20:14
How accommodations, especially budget ones get booked up in places like bangkok and pattaya during cny? As far as I know, there's nothing special going on, but I'm scratching my head as many places are fully booked in Chiang mai now.

Surfcrest
February 2nd, 2015, 23:50
Could it be Asian tourists taking a trip from their country to Thailand over the Chinese New Year break?

Additionally, flights will be full and could be at premium prices...especially if you are flying through other parts of Asian a week before to a week after Chinese New Year's (Feb 19th).

Surfcrest

Oliver
February 12th, 2015, 12:32
For the past two years, P. and I have enjoyed the show outside Central (sea-side) in Pattaya. Acrobats, dragons etc...and free. We'll be back there again next week.
Boyztown is decorated with lanterns. I noticed some straight tourists photographing them- doesn't seem to be much on display in other parts of Pattaya.

We also enjoy the lion dances around Boyztown....don't know if these will happen this year. Hope so.

corky
February 13th, 2015, 12:34
Grand Chinese New Year Celebration in Chinatown to celebrate H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn 60th Birthday.

BANGKOK, 13 February 2015 (NNT) тАУ The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is organizing a grand Chinese New Year celebration in the capitalтАЩs Chinatown on Yaowarat Road between February 19-20.

The festival is dedicated to the 60th birthday anniversary of H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. The celebration also commemorates the 40th anniversary of national relations with China, as well as the 11th anniversary of cooperation between the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and the Chinese Ministry of Culture.

The Chinese Ministry of Culture has presented Thailand with three white jade goat statues to mark the year of the goat on the Chinese zodiac. The statues were carved from a single piece of jade stone. Each statue stands at 1.6 meters tall and weighs roughly 3 tons. They have been put on display in front of the entrance of the Royal Jubilee Gate at Odeon Circle.

The Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the Kingdom of Thailand has scheduled special cultural performances. A total of 180 Chinese performers from ten counties with be performing at the event.

Other interesting activities during the festival include the sale of local Thai products and food, as well as concerts put on by various Thai artists. Yaowarat Road will also be divided into four zones that depict life in the royal palace. The street will be decorated in gold with elaborate lighting fixtures to create a veritable tunnel of light.

The Chinese New Year celebration will take place between February 19-20 from 12 noon to midnight, extending from the Royal Jubilee Gate to the whole of Yaowarat road. The government recommends that motorists avoid the area during the festivities.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNSOC5802130010015

February 13th, 2015, 13:17
Forgive them their trespasses. "We know they're rude, uncouth and a total pain in the arse, but please make the Chinese welcome. We need their money (http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thais-told-give-warm-welcome-chinese-tourists)".

Balcony
February 13th, 2015, 15:08
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/balcony/BBQ220215-72-500.jpg

For those in Bangkok on the weekend of Chinese New Year, we are holding a Bar-B-Que on the afternoon of Sunday 22nd February.
It's Free for Lifetime Members of The Balcony and only 195 Baht for non-members and guests.
The bars open at 3.30pm and food will be available from 4.00pm.

We look forward to seeing you.

BonTong
February 13th, 2015, 15:44
As far as I know, there's nothing special going on, but I'm scratching my head as many places are fully booked in Chiang mai now.
Nothing special going on but it's a big long holiday in China and many people want to get away. Chiang Mai has become a major destination for Chinese tourists, partly due to the phenomenal success a couple of years ago of the Chinese film "Lost in Thailand" which was filmed here. Apparently there are sixty five extra flights into Chiang Mai from mainland China over the holiday! :-o

There was an article in yesterdays Bangkok Post about the government asking Thai's to welcome new visitors despite their rude behaviour, and citing some recent problems in Chiang Mai.

Haven't noted many mainland Chinese in gay venues though, but there are quite a few from Singapore, Taiwan and Malaysia.

AMARETTO-old
February 13th, 2015, 16:01
Chinese New Year 2003

thaiguest
February 13th, 2015, 22:37
No surprise that the Thai Chinese throw a big new year's party in Thailand -they own everything in the country that smacks of money; the gold shops, the rice stores, the electrical shops, the hi-so malls but not so much the rice fields cos they smack of real hard work.

Surfcrest
February 14th, 2015, 00:39
For the past two years, P. and I have enjoyed the show outside Central (sea-side) in Pattaya. Acrobats, dragons etc...and free. We'll be back there again next week.
Boyztown is decorated with lanterns. I noticed some straight tourists photographing them- doesn't seem to be much on display in other parts of Pattaya.

We also enjoy the lion dances around Boyztown....don't know if these will happen this year. Hope so.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-welcomes-in-year-of-the-goat-44882?ref=pmci

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/CNY-2015-Central-Center-Pattaya.jpg

February 14th, 2015, 11:05
No surprise that the Thai Chinese throw a big new year's party in Thailand -they own everything in the country that smacks of money; the gold shops, the rice stores, the electrical shops, the hi-so malls but not so much the rice fields cos they smack of real hard work.I thought the CPB and its associates owned the hi-so malls

Surfcrest
February 14th, 2015, 11:20
How wonderful to see AMARETTO back and posting one from his collection.
I'm also thrilled to see The Balcony posting their Chinese New Year's event and I hope they'll post more events in the future!

Surfcrest

thaiguest
February 14th, 2015, 18:35
No surprise that the Thai Chinese throw a big new year's party in Thailand -they own everything in the country that smacks of money; the gold shops, the rice stores, the electrical shops, the hi-so malls but not so much the rice fields cos they smack of real hard work.I thought the CPB and its associates owned the hi-so malls

Must admit straight off that I don't know what or who CPB represents.

Re the ethnic chinese in Thailand -they being the monied people married into royalty especially when Thailand was flooded with princes and princesses under the "mia noi" custom. An english traveller in Bangkok in the 19th c. stated that if you threw a stone in Bangkok you were sure to hit a prince, a--------, or a monk.

Likewise in England. By the early 1900's 25% of the House of Lords were direct descendants of Charles II by the 'back stairs'. Both lady Di and Camilla are 7th (8th?) great grand daughters of the merry monarch by the said "back stairs".

Hey just realised! Scottish Guy has something real to crow about:

PRINCE WILLIAM WILL BE THE FIRST STUART ON THE THRONE since Queen Ann!

QueueDeCastor
February 15th, 2015, 13:01
As far as I know, there's nothing special going on, but I'm scratching my head as many places are fully booked in Chiang mai now.
Nothing special going on but it's a big long holiday in China and many people want to get away. Chiang Mai has become a major destination for Chinese tourists, partly due to the phenomenal success a couple of years ago of the Chinese film "Lost in Thailand" which was filmed here. Apparently there are sixty five extra flights into Chiang Mai from mainland China over the holiday! :-o

There was an article in yesterdays Bangkok Post about the government asking Thai's to welcome new visitors despite their rude behaviour, and citing some recent problems in Chiang Mai.

Haven't noted many mainland Chinese in gay venues though, but there are quite a few from Singapore, Taiwan and Malaysia.

Many cheapies were already full a couple of weeks ago, although even the flower festival hasn't been started yet.

I see, that brings Chinese tourists to Chiang mai. Pai was flooded with them, too.

I'm relieved knowing Thais also are getting fed up with 'rude' behavior by Chinese tourists. A few things that I've witnessed:
* a Chinese mother and a daughter of around 7 years old huggling over clearly displayed drink price of 25b down to 20. They repeated attempts 3 times, no success. Seriously?
* at a street side eatery, I think their bill was around 80b. The vendor handed them a change, one of them give back a 20b note saying 'tip'!? Thais will love it, but this was really weird.
* a Chinese guy pushed me without saying anything. I've been to over 30 countries, but I've never been treated like this.

Now I'm in Chiang rai, there are a lot less Chinese tourists here.

pong
February 16th, 2015, 13:30
so you must be USA-they are the one complaining about pushing etc. And must never have been into that mainland middle Kingdom.
Here in this part of BKK-city, some 6-7 kms away from the Silom-ghetto-zone, those Chinese, yes mainland, are multiplying by the million. Easy to recognise-all females wear outrageous large hats. Other as their JPNese sisters, they do not seem overly enthusiast about getting hooked up by western bekpek guys. Even more strangely, they even seem not to like Thai food very much. Nor do they seem on the winning hand in getting better prices and outdoing the Thai in their fleecing, which they are as such very good in. They all have a for them expensive, for us dirtcheap looking smartfone, on which they all have 2 apps: a map of BKK and a Busguide. Both are, as this is TH, partly much incorrect. By now I know what buses always leave them screaming and not understanding what is happening-wrong route or moneylady telling them its the wrong one.

LoveThailand
February 16th, 2015, 15:19
Would be nice if some Chinese started paying attention to people around them, became less thrifty and had no inclination to haggle over 5 baht. Also - would it not be nice if westerners learned to smile more, drink with more moderation and actually learn how to enjoy :)

On another note - a few years ago I went out for a smoke at Dream Boys BKK - there is (was?) a place to smoke on the second floor - not the street level. Was followed by 3 Chinese half my age who were all over me - I think they were even hinting at some material reward should I decide to join them at their hotel. :D

February 16th, 2015, 16:40
On another note - a few years ago I went out for a smoke at Dream Boys BKK - there is (was?) a place to smoke on the second floor - not the street level. Was followed by 3 Chinese half my age who were all over me - I think they were even hinting at some material reward should I decide to join them at their hotel.Some people will do anything for a fag.

scottish-guy
February 16th, 2015, 17:20
On another note - a few years ago I went out for a smoke at Dream Boys BKK - there is (was?) a place to smoke on the second floor - not the street level. Was followed by 3 Chinese half my age who were all over me - I think they were even hinting at some material reward should I decide to join them at their hotel.Some people will do anything for a fag.

Indeed - and even John Merrick aroused curiosity in his day, so there's hope for us all.

newalaan2
February 18th, 2015, 19:48
Dream Boys BKK
Just to advise that Boys Bangkok/Dream Boys have entered into the Chinese New Year 'spirit' tonight by charging only Bt500 instead of the usual Bt390 entry/drink.

a447
February 19th, 2015, 20:38
And good luck to the old German if he can get away with charging 500 baht. If I were him, that's exactly what I'd be doing.

February 20th, 2015, 02:36
And good luck to the old German if he can get away with charging 500 baht. If I were him, that's exactly what I'd be doing.Precisely. It's also their policy on New Year's Eve. Or are we to suggest that 1 January is the "real deal" while Chinese New Year is a quaint foreign custom and therefore unworthy of that sort of pricing behaviour?