PDA

View Full Version : Delta Transpacific

Dalewood
January 25th, 2015, 21:28
Has anyone done this trip recently? I am trying to decide if I want to spend $540 to upgrade to Delta's deluxe economy. Opinions on other forums are all over the place. Business class is out of the question. :( When I booked the flight I thought I could upgrade to Business class with points, but due to recent program changes, it is impractical to do so.

francois
January 25th, 2015, 23:19
Can you be more specific? Trans Pacific from where to where? Delta offers Economy Plus at about $100 USD for each leg of the flight. So from BKK to USA ,maybe $200 USD total. Yes, worth the extra cost, for sure.

Never heard of deluxe economy.??

Dalewood
January 26th, 2015, 06:47
Economy Plus--It has a different name on every airline. Just Detroit-Tokyo is $169 each way.

francois
January 26th, 2015, 10:45
Yes, Economy Plus on Delta is well worth it, at least to me.

Blueskytoday
January 26th, 2015, 11:10
HI:
I fly from Seoul Korea to Detroit...going in April....USD $169 each way..
Also flew it last 2 years...If your a bit tall...well worth it...more leg room...it is nice..
The quote, of $500 Round trip is way way too high....better check directly with Delta Resv..

blazer
January 30th, 2015, 13:48
I have flown Delta economy plus to BKK on a free upgrade. About 4 inches extra legroom helps.

But I am not sure if I would pay extra cash for the upgrade. It all depends on your priorities.

I check seating before the flight to find the best available seats. Then check about a week out, and then 24 hours out and make changes accordingly. For the last 6 trips or so, I have not sat next to anyone, and many times am the only person in that row.

Seat selection can be far more important than an upgrade to economy plus.

January 31st, 2015, 06:43
One question I suppose is whether you're actually on a DL aircraft all the way or whether you're on one of their partners, Korean Air say, who fly the A380 as far as Seoul from the West Coast.

Dalewood
February 1st, 2015, 01:28
Thanks to all for the feedback. Each leg of the journey has its own economy plus price: Baltimore-Detroit, $29, Detroit-Tokyo, $169, and Tokyo-Bangkok $79, so it adds up. I could see myself spending that money in other ways (ahem). It is Delta all the way.

Legroom was not a critical issue last time I did the trip, but that was over 20 years ago. I did it a couple of times on Thai---it was great, even in economy.

francois
February 1st, 2015, 10:02
That was 20 years ago! Maybe your physical proportions have shifted and as have the seat spacing? For me travel in economy was never great and keeps getting worse.