PDA

View Full Version : Thailand abbot resigns amid gay sex row

lonelywombat
January 20th, 2015, 11:30
Buddhist monk says he slept with a male disciple 'without consciousness'
19 JANUARY 2015 | BY DARREN WEE
Former abbot Kasem Duangphaengmar broke his vow of celibacy.
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/thai ... -row190115 (http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/thailand-abbot-resigns-amid-gay-sex-row190115)
A controversial Thai abott has left the monkhood after publicly confessing to having sex with a male disciple.

Kasem Duangphaengmar, formerly know by his monk name Phra Kasem Ajinasila, yesterday (18 January) said he would resign but still observe the dharma.

He changed the color of his robe from saffron to white and said he would remain at Sam Yak forest monastery, Nam Nao district to continue preaching.

Duangphaengmar, 55, Friday (16 January) told an internal inquiry that he had had sex with a 34-year-old follower in the monstery compound, but argued that because he had acted 'without consciousness,' it would not be necessary for him to be defrocked.

The admission was made to 60 lay people and monks and was broadcast on the monastery's popular YouTube channel.

Buddhist monks take a vow of celibacy when they enter a monastery.

The incident was then reported to the National Office of Buddhism and an investigation is ongoing, even though Duangphaengmar has left the monkhood.

The former monk also caused outrage two years ago after a YouTube video showed him stepping on the base of a Buddha statue and slapping its face.

Nevertheless, he has a large following.

RELATED TERMS: News Asceticism Asia Behavior Buddhahood Buddhism Celibacy Culture Human behavior Kasem Duangphaengmar Mon people Monk Person Attributes Religion Sam Yak Thanthep Muenyuth Transtheism YouTube

Smiles
January 20th, 2015, 14:04
Even more weird than the 'Twinkie Defense' of San Francisco fame: " ... I should not be drummed out because I was unconscious during my massive orgasm ... ".
Yes, that's happened to me numerous times. It might fly in TiT.

latintopxxx
January 21st, 2015, 00:56
i must get me to a nunnery...seems like religion does have its upside

Nirish guy
January 21st, 2015, 05:07
From what several Thai guy who've gone in to do their 3 month stint to gain merit for their families etc this isn't that rare an occurrence perhaps, I could say more but wouldn't like to offend anyone who thinks "that could never happen, they're monks !" if you think that then "ok", but I wouldn't be so sure perhaps :-)