PDA

View Full Version : Chiang Mai scene

sweetlover88
January 14th, 2015, 15:19
Hi everyone,

Merry XMas & Happy new year to everyone!

I've been living in CM for the last 2 years and went to basically the same spot everytime (g-star, secrets, CU, 2brothers) but i would like to experience change.

Can anyone share their experiences about Adam Apple, Free Guy? Or any other places? what are the fee's? boys selection, etc?

Thanks!

BonTong
January 14th, 2015, 16:53
This recent thread gets right down into who does what in Chiang Mai: Chiang Mai Report (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/chiang-mai-report-t30999.html) Should give you plenty of ideas and info.

FWIW Adam's and FG, drinks 260 Up, off 300-400, Boys nearly all Shan (Tai Yai form Burma), but Adam's also has a few gay boys at the moment. FG, boys are a bit more "clikety-click" ;) . New May way, Circle, boys more hunky ,muscle boy types (again Shan), mainly Thai customers.

My latest recommendations: See Man is currently better than G-star, Relax (karaoke) is on form. Otherwise, Thai places like Ta Chang, or Santhitham plaza are good places to go for a night out.

sweetlover88
January 14th, 2015, 17:51
Thanks for your answer.

I've actually heard about Santhitham plaza but i don't know where is it exactly. Is it near Kad Suan Kaew?

As far as the karaoke, i go to borroco/ok boys sometimes. It's ok but not exactly what i'm looking for (most guys working there are straight and doesn't seem interested...)

I went to see man a month ago but the price of beer is insanely high... (i don't drink high liquors, only beer). If i remember correctly, it was 250 for a Singha..

How is it on week-days? have u ever been to See man on week-days? The days i went before it was quite empty (but that was before the fire and re-opening.)

Thanks!

llz
January 14th, 2015, 21:18
May I add some questions that I have been wondering about since many years ?

- Am I correctly assuming that Santitham Plaza has no rent boy scene ?
- Are the waiters in restaurants such as Sabaidee Santitham or Ratchada Garden available ?
- What about street hustlers in Chiang Mai ?

Perhaps too much to answer but the Chiang Mai scene has always seemed more mysterious to me than everywhere else in Thailand, despite having well-made and regularly updated websites.

BonTong
January 15th, 2015, 08:00
I've actually heard about Santhitham plaza but i don't know where is it exactly. Is it near Kad Suan Kaew?
It's right in the middle of Santitham! Probably about 1Km north from Kad Suan Kaew if you meander the back streets. There is one gay owned bar there - R&A if you follow the link and click for the map you will see exactly where. R&A Bar on radchada.com (http://www.radchada.com/chiang-mai-gay-bars-pubs-restaurants/#rna-bar) Its actually only 200M from Santitham Guest House/Sabaaidee. Santitham Plaza is quieter than it used to be, but there are lots more bars/restaurants in the surrounding streets. Best to visit with friends, though if you go alone and speak some Thai you may be surprised how many new friends you can make.

As far as the karaoke, i go to borroco/ok boys sometimes. It's ok but not exactly what i'm looking for (most guys working there are straight and doesn't seem interested...) For me Barocco has taken a step backwards under the current management. Yes there are lots of people but it's become a bit of a zoo with too many Chenees. Last time I was there it was so smokey even the smokers were complaining. Haven't been for a while, mainly because friends don't want to go there.

OKE boy, same management - never been - both me and friends have had too many dangerous experiences in Chiang Mai Land to be enthusiastic about venturing to that side of town late at night. In fairness that was some years ago, but once bitten and all that......

I find Relax is literally more Relaxed (pardon the Pun) the guys running it now seem to be more fun loving and it's not just about money. :ymparty:

I went to see man a month ago but the price of beer is insanely high... (i don't drink high liquors, only beer). If i remember correctly, it was 250 for a Singha..

How is it on week-days? have u ever been to See man on week-days? The days i went before it was quite empty (but that was before the fire and re-opening.)

All the big Thai bars, gay or straight make money selling ice and mixers - they don't want you drinking beer :( . 250 Sounds too much though, thought it was about 120-150 (same at G-star)? Dunno, I would only go to either place with friends and a bottle, much as I too prefer beer. See Man maybe quiet during the week, I've only been on a Saturday when it was heaving. Some friends were at G-Star last night and it seemed busy.

BonTong
January 15th, 2015, 08:59
- Am I correctly assuming that Santitham Plaza has no rent boy scene ?
Probably, but never say never, TIT

- Are the waiters in restaurants such as Sabaidee Santitham or Ratchada Garden available ?
Unlikely, but never say never, TIT

- What about street hustlers in Chiang Mai ?
TIT :-o

You are right - Chiang Mai is mysterious and the scene is complex. Taking Sabaidee or Radchada as examples, neither do offs, but what the staff do after work is up to them. Also, both places have groups of guys who are customers or friends of the staff just hanging out. How available are they? - well, sometimes late afternoon at Radchada it's like the soi twighlight alumni association ;)

Apart from the few catering only to foreigners and the two big clubs, there are no gay bars in Chiang Mai. Gay Thais have no issue going to so called straight places. Most are on a budget so they don't go to overpriced tourist places down-town, but drink in areas like Santitham, Khwang Sing, JJ market, a few cheaper places in Nimmanhaeminda etc, etc. Some bars seem to attract more gay customers but it's fickle, and the in vogue places for the gay crowd change almost weekly.

Speaking some Thai is somewhat a pre-requisite but in many such bars a friendly "chokdee" and banging of glasses with those at other tables can lead to more. You need to be discreet, often even the openly gay guys don't want to be seen going with a farang; get their phone/Line/FB and meet later. Sometimes you become the hunted: it wouldn't be the first time I came out the toilet to find someone waiting to say hello. You have to be cool though, behaving like some farangs might in a go-go bar will likely get you a bottle smashed over your head. Also, fights are not uncommon, and can have fatal outcomes - be sure to maintain some situational awareness.

Street Hustlers? Sure there are, very much AYOR and be very careful about how old they are. I wouldn't know but Thapae gate or on the riverside between Worawot and Muang Mai markets are apparently places to look. [-(

christianpfc
January 15th, 2015, 11:39
There was an extensive thread Oct-Dec 2014 that should answer your questions:
chiang-mai-report-t30999.html (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/chiang-mai-report-t30999.html)

Or if you want just my observations and opinion, read here:
http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/1 ... g-mai.html (http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/10/gogo-bars-in-chiang-mai.html)

Drink price at See Man pub:
Saturday 18.10.2014 Arrive in See Man 23:45, few customers. Many chairs available. Bottle of beer Leo 330 ml 150 Baht. (Edited quote from here: http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/1 ... n-pub.html (http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/11/gay-discos-in-chiang-mai-see-man-pub.html))

topforthai
January 16th, 2015, 04:35
Better bring your own boy. The selection of available boys is Poor in Chaing Mai.

Brad the Impala
January 16th, 2015, 17:05
Better bring your own boy. The selection of available boys is Poor in Chaing Mai.

This is in general untrue, however it might be correct to say that the selection of sissy offboys is poor.