PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok "Thainess" Parade and road closures for January 14th

Surfcrest
January 13th, 2015, 17:12
Bangkok "Thainess" Parade and road closures for January 14th

The Tourism Authority of Thailand would like to invite tourists and the general public to take part in the grand opening celebration of the тАЬ2015 Discover ThainessтАЭ campaign, which will take place in Bangkok on 14 January, 2015, during 17.00-20.30 hrs. with a 3.5-kilometre parade featuring cultural shows from various parts of Thailand.

The parade will start from the National Stadium, passing along Rama I Road, the Ratchaprasong Intersection and Ratchadamri Road to Lumpini Park. Some roads along the parade route will be temporarily closed to traffic.

- Rama I Road from in front of the Tokyu Department Store to Chula Soi 5 (the National Stadium side) will be closed from 16.30-19.00 hrs.

- Pathumwan Intersection will be closed from 17.30-19.00 hrs.

- Rama I Road from the Pathumwan Intersection to the Ratchaprasong Intersection (In front of the Siam Discovery side) will be closed from 17.30-19.00 hrs.

- The Ratchaprasong intersection will be closed from 18.00-19.30 hrs.

- Ratchadamri Road from the Ratchaprasong Intersection to Lumpini Park (Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel side) will be closed during 18.00 тАУ 20.30 hrs.

In addition, the Thailand Tourism Festival (TTF) is going to be held during 14-18 January, 2015, at Lumpini Park, Bangkok, which will showcase the kingdomтАЩs glorious centuries-old culture and rich natural heritage that can be classified into five categories, or five major regions of Thailand тАУ Central Region, North, Northeast, East and South.
To celebrate the launch of its тАЬDiscover ThainessтАЭ campaign, the Tourism Authority will shut down several critical roads around Lumpini Park for a parade on Wednesday

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/poster20H_Out-01_s.jpg

ainamor
January 13th, 2015, 20:07
This looks as though it is going to be worth a visit. I was in the park today and the exhibition covers the whole park with various regions of Thailand being depicted in different area of be park. Today they were still contructiing replica houses and huts with various smaller building for regional displays of food and crafts. There must be about 100 displays that have been erected and they have one hell of a job on their hands if it is to be ready by 4pm on Wednesday.

Anyone planning to go needs to get there early as with all the road closures it is going to be pretty chaotic on the roads. Fortunately I am now ensconced in the Dusit Hotel a couple of minutes away.

christianpfc
January 14th, 2015, 20:18
Watched the parade today, entertaining and many cute boys.

Afterwards I had a quick walk through Lumpini park, looks promising and I will be back with enough time to take a closer look.
14-18 Jan 16-22 hrs. Traffic did not look too bad, anyway you can go by MRT or BTS.

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2015/01/ ... 4-january/ (http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2015/01/grand-parade-to-launch-2015-discover-thainess-in-bangkok-on-14-january/)

christianpfc
January 15th, 2015, 22:43
Closer look in Lumpini park today. This event is aimed at Thai tourists, only little information in English. Mainly an entertainment/food/shopping event. No hotel or travel discounts as far as I could see, you would have to go to travel fairs for that (second hand information, haven't been yet, but will go some time).