PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Airport Taxis

fountainhall
January 5th, 2015, 10:27
Returning from Singapore yesterday afternoon, I got one of those taxis we sometimes hear about with a doctored meter. About half way to the city, I realised the amount on the meter (which I'd ensured was reset at the airport) was a lot higher than normal - as was the distance travelled. My normal trip to near Sathorn will usually show on the meter around 32kms and Bt. 220 - 230. The recent increase in fares would only show a modest addition.

By the first tollway the meter was already at 29 kms and Bt. 215 . By the Rama IV turnoff it was 39.6 and showed about Bt. 100 more than usual. After talking with the driver and showing him several photos I'd taken of the meter, his ID and the taxi number, he switched off the meter and said "no pay".

This was my second arrival since the airport changed the method of allocating taxis. Instead of two sections each with four counters and girls taking your address to give to waiting drivers, there are now 5 automatic machines which give you a slip with a bay number. Taxis then line up at the bays. It should work faster and more efficiently but the system still slows it down badly. On my first trip, I went as instructed to bay 3 and there was no taxi - and no taxi arrived. This resulted in the drivers in bays 2 and 4 looking at my slip for ages, arguing and waving whilst other taxis came and went. Eventually I had to walk all the way back to the machines where a girl gave me another slip for a different bay.

Yesterday there were long snake queues. Instead of 5 machines working, there were just 2 - the other three had signs stuck to them. And instead of the girls who must have been pretty lowly paid, there were two airport officers in official uniforms. They no doubt were paid more than the 4 girls! Instead of printing out the slips in advance of the taxis arriving, they'd wait till one was in its bay or close to its bay, thus slowing everything down. Welcome back to Thailand!

camperboy
January 5th, 2015, 12:00
Woah so "no pay" mean you had a free taxi ride?

Never had those trouble before. Then again, I stopped taking taxis from the airport and opt for the rail instead :p

January 5th, 2015, 13:07
Amazing Thailand

fountainhall
January 5th, 2015, 15:39
Woah so "no pay" mean you had a free taxi ride?
When turning off the meter he said "no pay" and I am sure he meant it. Better that than being reported to the authorities with the photo evidence I had, I guess. On the other hand, I did get a comfortable ride home and so I paid him Bt 200 + the Bt. 50 supplement.

This was the second rogue meter I've encountered on airport trips in recent years - and I travel quite a lot. All meters are being checked before taxis can charge the new fares. But I expect some will still find a way to 'doctor' them.

a447
January 5th, 2015, 16:47
Sounds very much like the situation I've encountered in Vietnam and Bali.

I was really surprised that they immediately offered to use the meter. I sat in the back and watched it turn over at a great rate of knots...lol.

In Thailand I never took the driver's photo but always made a note of his name and number. But would it be worth the trouble reporting them? Probably not.

One of the scams they have tried on me is to collect the toll fee in advance but then travel most of the way on the normal roads.

I now don't bother with the taxis at Suvanphumi - I just catch the train. A great way to miss the traffic jams.

BonTong
January 6th, 2015, 07:49
Had this happen going the other way about four years ago. Was trying to get a taxi outside Silom Complex to Suvarnabhumi around 4p.m. and none would take me. Eventually one agreed, I should have known something was up by his enthusiasm. When we arrived I asked him jokingly when they had moved the airport and didn't leave a tip. Didn't seem worth making a scene over maybe 100 Bt.

Rogie
January 7th, 2015, 03:19
I always use the airport taxis going into town; in roughly a dozen visits I've only had one rogue taxi driver. Same thing happened as experienced by the OP. I could see the fare was greatly inflated but at that time wasn't aware the meter also recorded distance, so just had the fare to go on. As the driver had kept the slip of paper you are given at the airport I politely asked him to hand it to me. The slip is potentially very important as it has details of the taxi driver plus address where you can send any complaints. He came up with all sorts of excuses not to hand it to me but I insisted. Finally he gave it to me and was, surprise, surprise, more than happy to accept the correct fare. I never did get round to sending in a complaint, so I have no idea how complaints are dealt with and whether the driver gets his knuckles rapped or whatever.

Going from town to the airport I have used the rail link two or three times and been most impressed, plus it's very cheap. I have never had any difficulty hailing a taxi by standing in the road outside or close to the hotel I've been staying, and they've always been happy to use the meter (although they will sometimes 'try it on' by quoting a price, always more than you'd pay on the meter of course!).

I hardly ever had to wait long to get an airport taxi under what is now the old system. The teams of women were very efficient and as soon as they'd filled in the paperwork a driver would up appear tout de suite and take you to his taxi. Very simple and very convenient. I am sorry to hear about the new revised system, it sounds like a retrograde step if the OP's experience proves to be the norm.

Is the slip you get from these machines (with the bay number of the taxi) similar the old ones so you can use it to make complaints?

fountainhall
January 9th, 2015, 10:16
Is the slip you get from these machines (with the bay number of the taxi) similar the old ones so you can use it to make complaints?
Sorry I have thrown the slips from both my recent trips away, but will check and post back when I return from Hong Kong in 10 days. All I recall is it is a much smaller slip than before. I can't see how it can have the taxi number on it like the old ones unless it is a more sophisticated system than I imagined.

christianpfc
January 9th, 2015, 15:17
I always thought of this system (taxi queue and 50 Baht surcharge) as just useless, now I know it's impeding fast processing!

I used to take taxi from 4th floor arrivals (and despite turnstiles, this would still work - there is large gap and the turnstiles turn in both directions!). I haven't taken a taxi from airport for a long time, usually I take train.

I got scammed from Mor Chit bus station to Sathorn: http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/1 ... -taxi.html (http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/11/christianpfc-gets-scammed-by-taxi.html) but didn't want to argue and didn't take pictures and risk an altercation.

fountainhall
January 9th, 2015, 17:45
I used to take taxi from 4th floor arrivals (and despite turnstiles, this would still work - there is large gap and the turnstiles turn in both directions!). I haven't taken a taxi from airport for a long time, usually I take train
I am usually on a flight arriving after the airport train has stopped for the night (midnight) and so taxis are essential. I only once took one from the departures area after I'd found a long queue downstairs. The driver wanted a fixed price which I quickly agreed as it included the tolls and was quite reasonable. However, nearly 20 minutes after getting in we were still not outside the airport perimeter!

Leaving the terminal he turned left as though going on to the Bangna-Trad expressway. When I queried this he said the cab's tank was empty. So we had to twist and turn till we got to a gas station - where of course there was a long queue of other taxis! It took almost 10 minutes to get to the fuel dispensers, another 5 to fill up and pay before we got on our way. But to get out of that area to the expressway you have to cross a train track. On this night, the barrier was lowered just as we reached it. So another 5 minutes was wasted as a long freight train crawled in front of us. Had I waited in the queue to get one of the regular taxis, I'd have been half way to the first toll booth by that time! A 1 in 500 chance perhaps, but hugely frustrating and I've not tried it again.

Brad the Impala
January 9th, 2015, 19:14
After a long flight I just want to get to my hotel in as quick and smooth a manner as possible. I take the airport limousine from one of the desks in the main arrivals hall. Guy takes your luggage puts it in the boot of the comfortable car, which is waiting just outside the door with the driver. Usually wheels rolling within five minutes of exiting the baggage collection area. 1,000 Baht paid at the desk, includes tolls, no hassle.

kakadai
January 10th, 2015, 02:53
This has happened to me at least four times during the last two years. When pointing out this to the driver upon arrival, they usually apologise and accept what I offer. On one occasion, however, the driver turned very nasty and paid to get rid of him.

christianpfc
January 10th, 2015, 19:44
My experiences with taxi from departure (several times) were all positive, my one experience at arrivals negative (fixed fare of 600 Baht on my first trip to Thailand, I didn't know better).

Taxi, mocy, van, bus stopping for petrol have happened each once in all my time in Thailand. This is a mystery to me, in Europe this would be unacceptable. At least they didn't ask for a cash advance to pay for the fuel. It can be weird, on an several hour long bus trip the bus stops in the outskirts of Bangkok for a 15 minute break (petrol, toilet), when it would take just another 30 minutes to reach the bus station!

fountainhall
January 20th, 2015, 12:21
Returning from Hong Kong late last night, there were no queues for taxis. Very easy getting to the machines and, as you can see from the slip, this not only gives you the lane number but also the driver's name, ID, car type and registration plate number. The call center number for complaints is also clearly marked. So it's clearly a more sophisticated system than the old one. The price was as I expected, although all taxi fares have recently gone up by around 8% - 10%.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/fountainhall/Taxi_Slip_Scan.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/fountainhall/media/Taxi_Slip_Scan.jpg.html)

Dalewood
January 20th, 2015, 16:43
I am traveling very light on my next trip, but will arrive around 10:45 PM. That will be too late to take the train into Bangkok, right?

Maybe I was lucky, but I never had a bad experience with a taxi in Bangkok.

thaiguest
January 20th, 2015, 18:56
Up to 5/6 years ago I would regularly take the free-lance taxis but now I'm more security conscious.
The incident involving the shooting dead (motive robbery) of an english passenger in a remote soi some years ago scared me.
It has happened that my taxi has taken a detour for fuel and on these occasions I get on the phone to a friend giving details of the car in english and my version of thai and I make sure the driver hears me-just in case.

christianpfc
January 21st, 2015, 09:21
MRT, BTS and ARL run until midnight, but last train leaving a particular station in a particular direction might be as early as 23:30 (so it arrives in its final station before midnight).

blazer
January 21st, 2015, 09:45
Always an adventure if you don't have a regular driver you can trust. Last trip from Pattaya to airport driver pulled off the road, drove to this dark forested area, no lighting. Met someone there, could hear gas cans rattling around awhile, then filling the tank. Then on to the airport.

thaiguest
January 25th, 2015, 13:47
Always an adventure if you don't have a regular driver you can trust. Last trip from Pattaya to airport driver pulled off the road, drove to this dark forested area, no lighting. Met someone there, could hear gas cans rattling around awhile, then filling the tank. Then on to the airport.

All's well that ends well.

BonTong
March 14th, 2015, 19:34
Another recent experience similar to the OP's coming from Suvarnaphum. Driver used the meter and I had the slip from the automatic machines (only one of which was working with some guys handing out the tickets). Part of the meter was covered with some dashboard mat thingy.

On arrival the fare was clearly too high so I asked how many km. He tried to switch off the meter but I flipped up the cover thingy which revealed a distance of 45 km (To Silom)! I immediately asked him how much and got a reduced fare; still 50 Bt over what I might have paid, but a reasonable outcome. I guess I could call the call center and complain but can't be bothered.

bucknaway
March 14th, 2015, 23:32
You may want to download the DLT check in app

http://youtu.be/rzLb1Bnf2Og

March 15th, 2015, 04:44
I never bother with taxis - speeding death-traps IMHO. If the airport train isn't running or I have too much luggage to bother with it, I take a limo service. Don't bother with AOT, somehow they've buggered up their limo service at Swampy and never have a car available. I book with another service (there are plenty around that you can book online) and their people are always waiting with a large sign bearing my name* at Door 3. I'd rather get door-to-door service with someone where I've at least got the opportunity for negative feedback (and it's happened only once) than the mickey mouse public taxi system. What are you saving by taking a taxi? The happy ending of a massage? The off fee in a Soi Twilight bar?

* or the name I'm prepared to give them. I usually impersonate a447

christianpfc
March 17th, 2015, 17:07
Part of the meter was covered with some dashboard mat thingy.
Similar to my one ride with a rigged meter. When I entered the taxi, I noticed that the meter is partially covered, but did not follow up on this suspicion. Then, standing at a traffic light, I noticed that the metrage (did I just create a new word?) increases without movement.

Lesson: check if the meter is fully visible when you enter the taxi, or even better before you enter.

Tiktak63
March 17th, 2015, 18:10
Part of the meter was covered with some dashboard mat thingy.
Similar to my one ride with a rigged meter. When I entered the taxi, I noticed that the meter is partially covered, but did not follow up on this suspicion. Then, standing at a traffic light, I noticed that the metrage (did I just create a new word?) increases without movement.

Lesson: check if the meter is fully visible when you enter the taxi, or even better before you enter.

As a cabby in UK I can say our meters run on a time and distance basis so I would think nothing of the meter changing while static. Don't BKK taxis work on the same basis? Or is it distance only.

scottish-guy
March 17th, 2015, 20:38
In my experience (and slightly off-topic), I dont think you have too much to complain about with Thai taxis.

Last week I was in Gran Canaria and had the hotel buzz for a taxi (they have some kind of automatic ordering system)

On its arrival, the taxi screeched to a halt for us to get in, and (with hindsight) that ought to have been a warning.

Once it had taken off (in the style of Starsky and Hutch) it became very obvious that the driver was off his face on some form of illicit drugs as the taxi careered along the local streets at 80kmph, the driver having no hands on the wheel, and shrieking and whooping like a banshee. There are no traffic lights on the route, so the option of getting out at some point was unavailable, otherwise we would surely have done so.

On arrival at the Yumbo centre, we decided that the best course of action was to simply escape, so my friend stayed in the cab to pay the fare whilst I went outside and surreptitiously photographed the licence plate. While I was doing that, he apparently snatched 20Euro from my friend's hand and refused to give any change (its a 5 Euro ride). The taxi then screeched off into the distance.

Unfortunately we could not find any police officers in the vicinity to report the incident to.

So......the point is......a few baht on the meter is nothing in the scheme of things.

bucknaway
March 18th, 2015, 07:21
Get overcharged in a bar? Ignore it. It's only a few baht.
Get cheated in a taxi? Ignore it. It's only a few baht.
Get overcharged for a massage? Ignore it, it's only a few baht.
Pay 10 times more than the average Thai for some thing? Ignore it, it's only baht.
Workers demanding higher tips than is the norm? Ignore it, It's only baht.
Drink prices are getting out of hand? Ignore it, it's only baht.

What? All your money is gone? You need to be more responsible with your spending!

I'm not going to roll over and get played for a sucker every time someone tries to rip me off. It will make my day to know that I stopped someone from ripping off a tourist. Maybe my actions will save the next guy some aggravation.

Its possible that farang are charged such outrageous prices because they pay the ripoff prices and even give a tip when doing it.

scottish-guy
March 18th, 2015, 14:53
The phrase "knowing the price of everything, but the value of nothing" springs to mind.

francois
March 18th, 2015, 16:29
As a cabby in UK I can say our meters run on a time and distance basis so I would think nothing of the meter changing while static. Don't BKK taxis work on the same basis? Or is it distance only.

Taxi meters measure both time and distance. You will be charged as the distance accumulates and will be charged as the taxi "waits" at a stop. There will also be a "mix" of both when in stop and go traffic.

christianpfc
March 18th, 2015, 16:40
There is a counter for traveling distance and one for traveling time. The latter counts either total traveling time or traveling time less than 6 km/h (which will be charged 2 Baht per minute).

In my case, the counter for distance (and obviously, the one for minutes as well) increased while we were standing at a red traffic light.

Diec
March 19th, 2015, 03:51
In my experience (and slightly off-topic), I dont think you have too much to complain about with Thai taxis.

Last week I was in Gran Canaria and had the hotel buzz for a taxi (they have some kind of automatic ordering system)

On its arrival, the taxi screeched to a halt for us to get in, and (with hindsight) that ought to have been a warning.

Once it had taken off (in the style of Starsky and Hutch) it became very obvious that the driver was off his face on some form of illicit drugs as the taxi careered along the local streets at 80kmph, the driver having no hands on the wheel, and shrieking and whooping like a banshee. There are no traffic lights on the route, so the option of getting out at some point was unavailable, otherwise we would surely have done so.

On arrival at the Yumbo centre, we decided that the best course of action was to simply escape, so my friend stayed in the cab to pay the fare whilst I went outside and surreptitiously photographed the licence plate. While I was doing that, he apparently snatched 20Euro from my friend's hand and refused to give any change (its a 5 Euro ride). The taxi then screeched off into the distance.

Unfortunately we could not find any police officers in the vicinity to report the incident to.

So......the point is......a few baht on the meter is nothing in the scheme of things.

Scotty, I think you exaggerate just a little too much. Wasn't it you that received a wrong number to your hotel room that had both you and your boyfriend bolting from the room and run screaming down the street in fear?

scottish-guy
March 19th, 2015, 19:08
No.

If you are going (in a blatant attempt to troll another member) to recount an incident that you were not personally involved in, kindly get the facts right.

A call (in Thai) was received to our hotel bedroom just a few minutes after arriving back from a night out in BT. I do not speak Thai and neither does my BF (who looks Thai, but isn't)- so neither of us could understand the caller, who kept yattering on at great length (so it didnt appear to be a simple "wrong number"). It also seemed strange that the call came immediately after arriving back well after midnight. It seemed logical to suppose that the call may have been made from the lobby, so I went down to see if anyone was there or if they had put the call through, but the reception staff could shed no light. So, that's the entirety of the story.

Now, if the purpose of your post is to suggest that I am lying about the taxi incident in Gran Canaria, I'm happy to post the pics of the license plate. I assure you I do not routinely photograph taxi license plates (so its safe to assume I had a particular reason to do so) - and I further assure you that I am not going to pop over to GC today to get photographs of taxi licence plates to support my story.

Having said all that, your best course of action might be to just quit trolling - would you not agree?

fountainhall
March 25th, 2015, 11:54
I'm not sure why this business of dodgy meters on airport taxis seems to be continuing, but it happened to me again last night. I returned from China and got a taxi around 10:45pm. I showed him the slip with the rank number which he took and tried to hide on the front passenger seat. I know that by the turn from the airport road on to the highway the meter should read around Bt. 57 - 59. No problem. But before we got to the first toll booth, I noticed the meter started clicking over very fast for around 15 seconds. Then it reverted back to what seemed like the normal rate. How on earth it can do that I have no idea!

By the time we got to Rama 4 having had a very fast run in with absolutely no delay, distance was a good 7 kms more than it should have been. So I reached over and took back the slip, got out my iPad and let him see I was taking photos (although they are too dark to see much!!) When I got home, I told him his meter was doctored and I'd only pay the usual amount plus the Bt.50 surcharge. At first he complained and showed me the new disc showing his meter had been recalibrated with new rates. I stood my ground with the condo security guard beside me. Then he said, "OK" and took the cash. "You OK?" he said again. "I'm OK! You OK?" "OK!" He as clearly making sure I was not going to use the photos against him!

I have zero idea why this has happened twice in the last 3 months when I can't recall it happening in the previous 80 or so trips in recent years!

fountainhall
July 9th, 2015, 16:13
And it's happened again! I'm beginning to wonder if this only happens to me but on my way in from BKK this lunchtime I got a rigged meter once again. By the first tollbooth it was obvious the number of kms was quite a few more than it should have been. I whipped out the iPad, took some photos and then told the driver his meter was rigged. At first he barely responded but then switched the meter off and told me to pay whatever I usually paid. He uttered something about the cab not being his and its having been serviced yesterday. I didn't believe a word!

thaiguest
July 9th, 2015, 19:53
Returning from Hong Kong late last night, there were no queues for taxis. Very easy getting to the machines and, as you can see from the slip, this not only gives you the lane number but also the driver's name, ID, car type and registration plate number. The call center number for complaints is also clearly marked. So it's clearly a more sophisticated system than the old one. The price was as I expected, although all taxi fares have recently gone up by around 8% - 10%.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/fountainhall/Taxi_Slip_Scan.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/fountainhall/media/Taxi_Slip_Scan.jpg.html)

It's very important to hide this slip on your person but in a way that it can be found by the pathologist if the taxi takes a detour and murders you for your wallet and watch (or whatever it is they're interested in now) as happened a few years ago.

newalaan2
July 9th, 2015, 21:39
have zero idea why this has happened twice in the last 3 months when I can't recall it happening in the previous 80 or so trips in recent years
It's just down to luck, or lack of it sometimes. On my last trip before they changed to the machines at Suvarnabhumi a scam for a fixed taxi rate with no meter was attempted by the dispatcher and driver, this last visit in June was my first with the new set up. All machines were working, got my ticket and headed to stance 40, normal size taxi was there with driver waiting, two or three other drivers were hanging around chatting with him. I......the single white male pulls up.....heard one of his mates say to the other, something like 'another one for Pattaya!'...then to me " You go pattaya??" I said to my driver in Thai that I was going to Silom, soi 2 near salandaneg BTS, with the 2-3 drivers gathered round speaking to my driver I feared the worst for an attempt at a higher set rate, but no, the driver just laughed at something with his friends before confirming my destination and switching on the meter.

Told him to take the tollway which I paid upfront at the first booth and received the change after the last. The fare seemed right as we stopped outside Soi 2 Silom, I added the Bt50 onto the metred amount, rounded up to include a tip, the driver carried case & holdall into Ballys/D'Varee reception,and said goodbye with a smile.

Why can't it be like that every time? It's difficult to know if these attempts at scamming are on the increase or whether you have just been the victim of sheer bad luck 'fountainhall'.

christianpfc
July 11th, 2015, 14:55
I said to my driver in Thai...
I always speak in Thai to the driver, maybe that makes a difference?

I rarely takes taxis from places where they try to rip off tourists, but when I do a few times per year just to confirm that it's still the same, speaking Thai doesn't help.