PDA

View Full Version : Holiday reading

January 2nd, 2015, 09:37
I recommend to posters with some time on their hands Sodomy and the pirate tradition (http://www.amazon.com/Sodomy-Pirate-Tradition-Seventeenth-Century-Caribbean/dp/0814712363) (I sent a447 a copy as a Xmas present). Many fascinating facts and assumptions are presented, including one that sodomy (and I assume mutual masturbation) was the most common sexual practice in male-to-male sex at least in the British Isles before the late 19th century as men outside the upper class generally did not bathe frequently enough to keep the area under the foreskin sufficiently clean for oral sex to be an attractive option. This despite the fact that smegma (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/smegma) when harvested by Greek men is sold as fetta cheese. Another hypothesis is that those sailors who preferred female company had ample opportunity to join the coastal fleet. And let's not forget Churchill's alleged response as First Lord of the Admiralty when asked about the proud traditions of the Royal Navy: "The Royal Navy has only three traditions - rum, sodomy and the lash".

a447
January 2nd, 2015, 12:11
Thanks, Kommie. It hasn't arrived yet but I'm checking my mailbox every day.

It sounds like an interesting read, although unlike your good self, I don't find the fact that the most common male-to-male sexual practices were fucking and wanking is in any way 'fascinating." I thought it would have been par for the course.

BTW, I also sent you a book. It's called "South American Politics 101."

January 3rd, 2015, 12:02
I also sent you a book. It's called "South American Politics 101."As you haven't provided the link to Amazon I can only assume it's one of those vanity publications of yours with which you fill in your spare time.
It sounds like an interesting read, although unlike your good self, I don't find the fact that the most common male-to-male sexual practices were fucking and wanking is in any way 'fascinating." I thought it would have been par for the course.You really will have to try a lot harder if you're to play Boswell to my Dr Johnston later this month.