PDA

View Full Version : Russians cutting back

latintopxxx
December 21st, 2014, 09:18
Been to Pattaya many times, but last week was struck by the large number of Russians sitting on towels on the free sections of Jomtien beach in front of the water park drinking big bottles of beer bought from the convenience store. Guess the fall on the ruble is hurting and does not bode well for the Thai tourist economy.

fountainhall
December 21st, 2014, 11:04
Agreed. 1.73 million Russians came to Thailand in 2013, up 33% on 2012. This year overall numbers are expected to be down about 5.5%. But the rouble's crash only started in the final third of the year. At the start of September when Russians were probably making end year vacation plans, 1 rouble still got them Bt. 0.86. Last week it was worth just 0.48. Although it has bounced back to almost 0.56, it's still a whopping drop and the much more devastating effect on tourism will surely only be seen next year.

VOA (always reliable, naturally!!) says there is already a 70% drop in expected arrivals from Russia in the present peak Dec 28 - Jan 15 season. If that's anything like true for 2015 as a whole, Thailand will lose over 1 million visitors. I wonder where the TAT expects to make up that shortfall.

http://www.voanews.com/content/tanking- ... 63917.html (http://www.voanews.com/content/tanking-ruble-hits-russian-tourists-thai-hotels/2563917.html)

December 21st, 2014, 15:06
Been to Pattaya many times, but last week was struck by the large number of Russians sitting on towels on the free sections of Jomtien beach in front of the water park drinking big bottles of beer bought from the convenience store. Guess the fall on the ruble is hurting and does not bode well for the Thai tourist economy.I had assumed the fall in the rouble to be a direct result of your vigorous auditing activities Latin. You are still a high-flying international auditor these days aren't you?!

latintopxxx
December 21st, 2014, 15:23
...please put your listening cap on...I'm not a financial auditor...if I had a financial background I'd be retired by now...after all thats how one can steal legally...I'm a food quality auditor....very technical...too technical for you...and rather boring...but it does mean I have to audit manufacturing sites...and as everyone knows...almost everything is made in asia nowadays....lucky for me....
As for high flying...assume you mean the 11000 feet....yes I do have a very comfortable salary...I do stay at the Hiltons. Pullmans and sheratons....but actually the best fun is to be at at The Malaysia Hotel...or Tui's....I travel on a very regular basis....its not for everyone...but i still enjoy it...and it means that in a single months I can ride brazilian, asian and east european arse...and am still deciding which is best!!! Certainly know which is reliably best value for cash!!