PDA

View Full Version : Patong Beach Umbrellas and Chairs

joebikeruk
November 26th, 2014, 07:09
Believe that the authorities have removed all the chairs and umbrellas off the beach at Patong...does that mean that there is no shade no chairs and we have to sit on the smelly sand on mats! Phuket newspaper is very vague on this matter.. Does any one know if this is true...otherwise will cancel next weeks trip to Patong and go to the Philippines... One can not sit on a beach with out a comfortable chair and shade...seems madness to me.

llz
November 26th, 2014, 16:32
From what we can read here and there, all Phuket beaches have been cleared out of umbrellas, chairs, vendors and massage services. However jet ski operators are coming back - just what is needed !

The situation could change, so you should have a look at the latest news on Phuket news websites or the Thaivisa Phuket pages (if you can stand the many expat posters who for some reason are very happy with the clampdown).

If I were you I would cancel any plan to go to Phuket and try something else in Thailand (Pattaya seems to be partly unaffected for the time being) or elsewhere.

Patanawet
November 26th, 2014, 17:35
I'm not in Phuket but Bangkok so I can only comment on what I've seen in the press and social media.
Phuket's beaches are certainly bereft of all chairs, loungers and umbrellas and vendors.
There was a case a week or two ago where a Scandinavian (I think) family with a baby got into trouble for taking THEIR OWN umbrella to shield the child. This caused quite an uproar internationally that the authorities are now considering ways to allow umbrellas back.
A friend on holiday from U.K. is staying in Jomtien and the beach concessionaire where he sits says that business is brisk with people coming from Phuket so that they may sit on deckchairs with umbrellas and buy refreshments without having to walk for miles.
Maybe someone with local knowledge could bring us up to date on the situation.
P.S. Not sure when you're arriving but there is a huge 2 day firework display/contest this weekend in Pattaya.

joebikeruk
November 27th, 2014, 05:45
looking at todays news on phuketwan it seems there is no resolution will be in BKK next week and review the situation. Thailands unique beach selling point was the beach chairs and umbrellas much like european beaches , clean and organised. Now this is thrown away, feral dogs roam patong beaches, who wants to sit on dirty sand, and little shade. `Think when the European Hoards arrive late December there will be an uproar.Think its time for change and explore new horizons.

rincondog
November 28th, 2014, 22:23
Navy approves beach umbrellas for Phuket beaches.
http://phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Navy-approves-umbrellas-Phuket-beaches/39618#ad-image-0

goji
November 30th, 2014, 18:12
Navy approves beach umbrellas for Phuket beaches.

It's unusual to see a Navy in a role where they micro manage tourism on land.

llz
December 1st, 2014, 00:00
They approve beach umbrellas bought by the beachgoers, which is fine for expats who have bought their gear and have a car to bring it.

For the average tourist, who could perhaps not afford a room in a hotel directly on the shore, their will no choice except lying on hot sand directly exposed to the sun rays, or going to another place where common sense has not yet disappeared. I know what my choice will be and I guess many tourists will do the same.

lego
December 1st, 2014, 00:33

Once they'll have their submarines, they'll be too busy to micro manage the beaches. Just when that will happen is everyone's guess.

thaiguest
December 1st, 2014, 07:24

Once they'll have their submarines, they'll be too busy to micro manage the beaches. Just when that will happen is everyone's guess.

While Bondi Beach lovers will continue to watch out for the dreaded shark fins in the water Phuket beach loungers will look out for the dreaded periscopes lurking off shore.

BOY69
December 8th, 2014, 03:06
I already booked a room at Patong beach one month ago for March :(
Is it a temporary restriction ?
Did the authorities have removed the chairs and umbrellas off from the nearby beaches Kata and Karon too ?
What is the cost of taxi from Patong beach to Kata and Karon ?

Confused ...

bkkguy
December 8th, 2014, 18:56

no need to be confused, the problem they fixed before fixing the beach umbrella problem was the cost of a taxi from Patong to Kata and Karon - and they were consistent, they did it by removing most of the taxis

bkkguy

rincondog
December 8th, 2014, 22:16
I already booked a room at Patong beach one month ago for March :(
Is it a temporary restriction ?
Did the authorities have removed the chairs and umbrellas off from the nearby beaches Kata and Karon too ?

This applies to Kata and Karon as well as Patong. However, by March who knows what will be the case. I think if there are many protests from tourists during the upcoming PEAK season there might be changes. Although at present I think umbrellas, at least at Patong, are being rented out for 200baht per day. That's right twice what a lounger, table and umbrella cost to rent before.

BOY69
January 6th, 2015, 15:44
I heard that in Paradise beach near Patong there are chairs and umbrellas and things are as usual there .
Is that correct ?

Surfcrest
January 9th, 2015, 00:15
Please see;

http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/the-junta-goes-the-beach-t31387.html#p295802

For an up to date update on the Patong Beach situation on Phuket.

Surfcrest

searcher
January 9th, 2015, 06:40
Just saw 2 clips on Youtube about Patong beach...just a few private umbrellas , all looked the same. NO sun chairs. Very few tourists. No Food stalls...I really like Phuket and enjoyed my stays there but I am not willing to carry an umbrella to the beach and lay down in the sand...I want to relax when on holidays. Thai logic or maybe the new government asks for higher bribes. I had planned to go there in March but under these circumstancces it will be a big NO