PDA

View Full Version : My First trip report - Part two

paulfort
November 24th, 2014, 02:11
After ten great days in Pattaya it was time to depart Baan Souy and head up to Bangkok, I had advised all be it slightly incorrectly my friend that I was only in Bangkok for one night then leaving early the following morning so not worth him joining me, as he had on my last visit, well I actually had three nights to enjoy so just a little white lie! but then I think perhaps after ten days pretty well stuck with me he was ready for a break and back to his normal world and friends without the old faring in tow! Guess still an element of sadness even a tear in my eye when it came to saying goodbye to my friend, but also a fair bit of excitement and anticipation of a return to Bangkok with three nights "on my own" to explore my favourite city once again!

I had booked my taxi with PT Taxi, confirmed the destination address - Tarntawan Place by email and gave the driver the small brochure - hoping (perhaps a little optimistically!) he might find it without too much difficulty so we departed. The traffic was horrendous, they are building some motorway junction near Chonburi that probably added an hour to the journey but finally we head into the suburbs of Bangkok with the sky line getting closer, my driver then suddenly decided to exit the express way at some junction I certainly didn't recognise, we then drove around for a while, maybe to explorer the local area I really don't know! Eventually he agreed he had left the express way too early, struggled to find his way back on to it, but finally we did and I was vaguely confident we were at least heading the right way again. Eventually we shot over the flyover on Rama 4 road, I immediately recognised the local sky scrappers and the entrance to Lumpini park below to my left so was able to guide my driver to the next available u turn and direct him to Tarntawan Place - thank god I was not a first time visitor and at least I knew the area!

On my last few trips I have stayed at the Rose Hotel, I like the pool and their Restaurant, but the rooms are pretty small and dated, they restrict the WIFI passes to one, short access code per visit then question you and decline if you request a subsequent code, so this time I had decided to return to Tarntawan Place, which I had enjoyed on many previous occasions. I wasn't disappointed, the concierge guy immediately recognised and welcomed me, as did the efficient security guy at the lift, the service was as efficient and friendly as ever and the in room safe a great addition. Despite the slight delay on my journey there was still ample time to have a wonder and see if anything has changed since my last visit in March though I I doubt it had. I changed some more pounds at Natty Gems which always seems the most competitive in the area , I strolled down to Lumpini Park, which I always find a relaxing place just to wonder around and was delighted to see it was fully re opened and tidied following the occupation earlier in the year by the protestors. Last time I still wondered around the park with the same friend I spent most of my time in Pattaya with but it wasn't quite the same and probably not the most sensible thing to have done! The guys at the outside gym were working away as always, one of them who appeared to have just finished working out and looked a bit nicer and leaner than a lot of them was chatting on his phone by one of the benches, I think he noticed me looking/admiring him, and then followed me for a bit, with I think a slight wave when he noticed me looking back at him, not sure why I didn't wander back over and engage in conversation at least, perhaps next time.

The evening soon came, I probably tend to follow my own traditions a little so I headed straight to Hotmail, the small bar at the entrance to Soi Twighlight for a couple of beers as probably the best place to relax and watch the boys heading in to their respective bars in case I notice anyone that particularly appeals to me. After a light bit of dinner at Dicks I headed around to Tawan Bar, it was just opening up at about 8.40pm but a few customers and the usual large mixture of guys, drink prices average for Bangkok , about 380 BHT and the service friendly and not pushy, a few of them clearly recognised me. As often the case there a lot of the guys were a bit heavy and on the "mature" side for me, so after a beer I headed back to Soi Twighlight. Whilst probably the most expensive bar at 400 BHT for a drink I do quite like Dream Boys so headed there, as I entered to be shown to a more obvious seat with a better view of the stage I headed straight to the back of the bar near the small gym area where you can watch the guys working out, the Mamasan recognised me, smiled and laughed and arranged my drink. Whilst loads of boys and a good mix, nothing amazing to me there so I headed to Zeus almost opposite. Again a good mix of boys and slightly cheaper drinks at about 360 BHT, clearly getting ready (or hoping!) for a lot of higher spending Asian customers as several reserved signs with the Whisky, ice and mixers all ready for the show. But whilst a few nice guys including some more muscular dancers on the small podium, I again headed on and into X Boys. Despite my best endeavour to shade my face and look the other way the Lady boy Mamasan immediately recognised and pounced upon me as we if we were the closest of long lost friends, I have in the past had a few repeat offs from him, he/she can be pretty pushy and likes to decide what I like, thinking he knows best! Either way one dancer appealed to me, with a good lean and muscular body, he joined me and we left for a couple of drinks opposite at Hotmail, he was from Cambodia, spoke excellent English, was good company and fun, then on to Tarntawan Place for a great what was left of the evening.............

We both eventually fell asleep and he left at about 5am and I fell back to sleep, sort of good for me as whilst I had visited Bangkok many times before I had never actually tried a Massage, I had researched it a little (partially on this site) and also joined www.thaimassageboy.com (http://www.thaimassageboy.com) which whilst clearly only some massage establishments are included the site has many pictures of what some of them offer and I was determined to try it out this holiday and explore a few.

I will update on that and the remainder of my time in Bangkok soon.....

Jellybean
November 25th, 2014, 07:53
Another interesting trip report recounting what happened when you left Pattaya and headed up to Bangkok, with details of your first day and night activities in the тАШBig MangoтАЩ paulfort. Thanks again for taking the time to write up your report.

I was particularly interested in your account of walking through Lumphinii Park and stopping to look at the guys working out in the open air gym and catching the attention of one gym enthusiast. Sounds like one of those тАШWhat if?тАЩ moments that we sometimes kick ourselves over later. I wonder what would have happened if you had stopped and engaged the guy in conversation. Now weтАЩll never know, unless of course you went back the next day.

And did you break your duck and find a massage parlour or two to visit? YouтАЩre certainly spoilt for choice in Bangkok. I look forward to reading the next instalment of your Bangkok report.

colmx
November 26th, 2014, 01:25
Tnks for the trip Paulfort!

I notice on FB that more and more Pattaya boys have beeen visiting App Arena on Rachada Soi 8

Hopefully one of your boys wil drag you there and you can report on what it is like!

lego
November 27th, 2014, 01:38
I notice on FB that more and more Pattaya boys have beeen visiting App Arena on Rachada Soi 8

Hopefully one of your boys wil drag you there and you can report on what it is like!
When I went to App last week, I saw one farang who definitely looked like a Pattaya boy dragged him there. So there's hope. Whether that guy enjoyed his night out there is another question, personally I didn't have that impression but I might be wrong.

christianpfc
November 27th, 2014, 23:02
I went recently (16.07.2014, that's 4 months ago, how time passes, wanted to go back soon) and was positively surprised:

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... soi-8.html (http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/08/app-arena-ratchada-soi-8.html)

paulfort
December 14th, 2014, 23:23
Sorry for taking a while to update on my last few days in Thailand - work has been pretty hectic since my return!

Anyway, I decided it was long overdue to try a massage place, from the Thai massage boy site I mentioned before V Club 7 appeared to have a good selection that appealed to me, I like the more muscular defined type, so I headed out there, pretty easy to find from the local BTS station and entered at about 2pm almost expecting the place to empty - I was certainly wrong and pleasantly surprised! There were about a dozen guys relaxing or working out behind a large glass screen, many that certainly fitted my ideal. The mamasan was extremely helpful and whilst it initially felt a bit awkward looking at a selection of boys behind a window I was unsure why, I am extremely used to it in the gogo bars where obviously there is no window - perhaps the beers help me relax in there, whilst I was stone called sober this time! I selected a young pretty muscular guy and a one and a half hour oil massage, the room was pretty basic but OK, I showered alone in the room and then my boy started a lovely relaxing massage, half way through we both agreed the air con was not fully working so moved to a smaller but much cooler room. The whole experience was great, in the end we both showered together and I was delighted that I had discovered a new fun way to enjoy my afternoons in Bangkok! The fee was 850bht and they suggested a minimum 1,500bht tip, as I had really enjoyed it I was a little more generous. I might next time go for a longer or slightly more expensive treatment as they appear to come with a more superior room - don't know if anyone has any experience of that? As I left and looked back behind the glass screen I was tempted to start the process all over again, the selection of boys had almost doubled and lots more that appealed to me!

That evening I explored a few bars as normal, and spent some time with a really nice and ripped boy from Jupiter, he left my room pretty early so as only one more night following this one I headed out again, after a few more bars and struggling to decide between a few I had seen, I wandered in to Screw Boy and was pretty certain I recognised a small but well built boy from Laos I spent a bit of time with several years ago, he used to work in Tawan bar but never really fully fitted in there! I checked his name with the Manasan who was very pleasant and helpful and it was the boy I was thinking of - who by now was already grinning with a sarcastic smile in my direction - so off we went for the evening.

The next day I decided to try Arena Massage as had read several reviews suggesting they had the more muscular types. Had a pleasant stroll along Silom road, almost tempted to divert in to JJ massage as a really nice guy from their handed me a flyer as I passed the end of their street, don't know if anyone rates that place? Easily found Arena, again a good selection of about a dozen guys, selected a young smallish but well built guy and the same massage I enjoyed the previous day. Whilst he seemed to leave me in the small and pretty scruffy room with a shower that was in desperate need of a good clean for a long time whilst I showered alone and waited for him afterwards, once he did finally re appear and set the large clock for the agreed time, the service was once again fantastic!

That evening which was my last for this holiday I headed out (as I always do unless already with a boy!) to the small Hotmail bar at the entrance to Soi Twilight for a couple of beers, the best place I believe to observe any new talent appears on their way to work! I noticed as always a few of them wandering between Family Mart and Bangkok Massage, but in the past and probably stupidly always ignored them as "they only did a massage and I didn't go in to massage places" crazy with hindsight! I wandered to Maxis opposite for a drink and noticed one with a particular well defined body sat out side playing with his phone so I decided that as no law states a maximum of one massage a day so I headed in. As I went upstairs and was greeted by the mamasan I decided I would try a Thai massage, he instantly produced a boy I guess from some internal rota - who was apparently perfect for a Thai massage! whilst he looked OK I asked to see a few more, within seconds those from down stairs sat outside and a load more from all over appeared, I selected the boy I had been observing and we headed for a room. The rooms here appeared to only a fraction larger than the size of a double bed with a mattress on the floor, we both changed and then went to a separate shower area, to be fair he locked the room door as we left it, we showered together in a private area of a slightly communal shower and back to our "room" which I realised was bit more like a cubical in a row of similar rooms, so any conversation could easily be heard in the adjacent "room" as the partitions had about a foot gap between them and the ceiling. Either way whilst I probably understand now that I prefer an oil to a Thai massage I think he did a great job, I loved watching his muscles flex as he pulled my every limb to the extreme and the experience was still fantastic!

After leaving and feeling extremely refreshed I headed for a few bars but nothing amazing caught my attention, so back to Screw boys, my little friend form the previous night didn't appear to be there, there were a few other customers and only about 3 boys on the small stage at any time, however soon after arriving the mamasan noticed me, straight on to his mobile and about 15 minutes later my little friend came running in - almost skidding to a halt as he arrived! As we left he asked if we could go into Tawan bar for a drink so as didn't think I could really refuse and it was good fun seeing the banter between him and some of the larger Tawan bar guys - I think also a bit of my friend showing off that he had a customer taking him out to the bars, but who cares it was fun! After that we had a lovely meal in the Ruen Urai Restaurant in the Rose Hotel, for higher quality Thai food in a lovely traditional teak house setting by the illuminated pool you cant do better, the staff immediately recognised me and the food and service as good as ever - just a shame as not staying at the hotel this time I couldn't get the 10% discount as a resident!

Back to my room and then up early in the morning (or early for me on a holiday!) for my 12.50 flight back to London, and to start planning my next holiday!

firecat69
December 15th, 2014, 02:02
Great trip reports which encourage me to put massages back into my BKK visits. Also appears from yours and others that ScrewBoy needs to back in the rotation.

paulfort
December 22nd, 2014, 04:13
For a change next time I am talking to my friend in Pattaya about visiting Phuket with him on my next Thai holiday in March and I am looking for advise on suitable hotels.

I have previously stayed at Club one seven - I would consider it again but the rooms are pretty small and I think their "Grand Deluxe" rooms literally open straight on to the small pool with no sort of terrace area. I have also stayed at Aquarius Guesthouse, their so called Suites are OK, but no balcony and whilst it has the small roof terrace the small indoor pool is a bit limited.

I am ideally looking for somewhere reasonably comfortable, must have a gym (for my friend not me!) and preferable an out door pool, ideally in the Patong area. My main concern is that whilst I will hopefully be with my friend most of the time, if I did have any other joiner I don't want to incur extra fees and embarrassment and also want somewhere that is reasonably gay friendly - rather than full of families and kids who might find it a bit odd a 50 year old with a young Thai guy!

Any advise or suggestions would be really appreciated

thaiguest
December 22nd, 2014, 04:43
Great report-you know a lot of nice mamassans.
Re Natty Gems-it's a place that will bypass the Baht if you wish to go from one foreign currency to another ex. change sterling to dollars. Cambodian currency not traded.

a447
December 22nd, 2014, 22:33
I also have enjoyed reading about you exploits in LOS. Thanks for taking the time to post.

And yes, Firecat, Screwboys is definitely back on the radar! I haven't been there in a long time but am now looking forward to dropping in next Saturday. Maybe I'll have something to report.

camperboy
December 24th, 2014, 21:20
Thanks for the update!

How much did you paid for Tarntawan?

The last time I stayed there, it was less than $100 a night. Recent check with Agoda shows that they have increased their price to over $100 a night. Almost on the same tier with other 4-5 star hotels. I guess people are paying for the hospitality...

paulfort
December 27th, 2014, 05:16
Hi Camperboy
For three nights in a Deluxe Surawong room at Tarntawan Place this time I paid ┬г141 UK sterling via Hotels4U you, in addition I got a 10% cash back via topcashback.co.uk as hotels4U had an offer on via them.
I always prefer to book direct and cut out the agent and commission for the hotel (as my day job is managing hotels so try and deal direct and avoid the agent commission!) however in this case this offer was much better value than their best on line deal.