PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike Rental

June 20th, 2006, 01:44
Where in Pattaya is it possible to rent motorbike for several days and how much for rental including insurance.

June 20th, 2006, 08:44
I rented once from QCars rentals at Jomtien Beach Condominium (there are five buildings ... it's the first building as you enter from the street). There was quite a discussion about insurance with various comments that "you cannot get insurance on a rental motorbike," "see that sticker there [on the bike] that's your insurance sticker," and "the insurance is for the bike only, none for liability or injury". It was an aging falang dowageress with tons of pancake make up and a highly permed & sprayed 'do that came up with the first comment. My honest reaction at meeting her, was "She'd give Pearl & Edith a run for their money!" It's been a while, but I think I paid B100 or B150 per day?

I'd be curious to hear from others about where they rented, and what the real story might be on insurance for rental bikes. The other times I've rented, I rented from a guy in my condo building whose daughter's bike he rented out when she wasn't around.

QCars: 01-808-7213, 01-996-8915, qcars@loxinfo.co.th

I've long been curious about the "Christian Values" sign advertising motorbike rentals at Jomtien Complex. Is that just a random name, or does it imply a certain level of moral values, or what?

June 20th, 2006, 11:12
I've rented from the folks in View Talay 1 (both A and B) -- same price (about 150 per day short term), and they had good bikes, honest service. Having heard about the scam in other parts of Thailand (Chiang Mai in particular) with car hire, I gave them an expired driver's license instead of my current one, which seemed to be no problem.

If you are going more long term, the bike rental place in Jomtien Complex is REALLY cheap -- 2000 a month or less, and it's been there for a long time, which would indicate that they must be fairly good.

Insurance? If you break it you buy it seems to be the policy in most places, although the one in Jomtien Complex does advertise available insurance (presumably on long term rentals).

June 20th, 2006, 12:06
... for first time visitors to Thailand, or anyone renting a bike, please be aware of the scam some rental places will operate. In Phuket I saw on two occassions young tourists charged for scratches or damage to bikes. The tourists claimed that they never had any accident and don't know where the scratches or damage came from. Too often this will be an existing problem with the bike and the rental agent will just be trying to get extra money from the tourist. Lesson is that when renting a bike, check it all over for any dents, scratches or other damage and make sure that it is noted down with the rental agent before leaving.

30,000 road deaths a year on bikes alone in Thailand.

June 20th, 2006, 12:18
... for first time visitors to Thailand, or anyone renting a bike, please be aware of the scam some rental places will operate. In Phuket I saw on two occassions young tourists charged for scratches or damage to bikes. The tourists claimed that they never had any accident and don't know where the scratches or damage came from. Too often this will be an existing problem with the bike and the rental agent will just be trying to get extra money from the tourist. Lesson is that when renting a bike, check it all over for any dents, scratches or other damage and make sure that it is noted down with the rental agent before leaving.

Yes - it is a good idea to photograph any scratches you see on a bike if you feel that the rental company is even the slightest bit dodgy.

June 20th, 2006, 14:13

Yes - it is a good idea to photograph any scratches you see on a bike if you feel that the rental company is even the slightest bit dodgy.

Yep - check everything!

p.s and dont drive the wrong way down a one way street - costs ya 500 baht *cough*

June 20th, 2006, 14:52
DELETED

Doug
June 20th, 2006, 18:19
I have heard that your extra travel insurance does not cover you if you are injured in an accident while on a motorcycle. Can you request added coverage that would cover it?

June 21st, 2006, 10:17
I have heard that your extra travel insurance does not cover you if you are injured in an accident while on a motorcycle. Can you request added coverage that would cover it?

Always best to read your travel insurance as you may find that it will not cover you for certain things such as bungy jumping, parasailing or riding one of those jetski's. Not sure about coverage for motorcycle accidents, but you best make sure with your own insurance agent or read thoroughly your travel insurance before hiring a bike, as it is damn sure that whoever you crash into (or more likely whoever crashes into you) will not be insured and you will be footing your own hospital bills.

GWMinUS
June 22nd, 2006, 06:43
I purchased Medical Insurance for my last trip to Asia.
My HMO here in the US provides no coverage outside of the USA and Canada.
(See SMILES, I am covered if you shoot me!!!)
Traveler Jim pointed out that hazardous activites are not covered UNLESS you pay extra for a rider.
Then you are covered and it is probably worth it when traveling any where in Asia.

HUM, Wonder if riding with Suphot is a hazardous activity???
:bounce:
NAHHHH

bucknaway
June 22nd, 2006, 07:13
This is a post taken from http://www.thaianxiety.com/scams.asp

Motor Cycle Rentals
From an article in Pattaya City News & discussions on Thai Visa

A foreigner will rent a motorbike and will sign a contract. He or she will park the bike outside of their hotel overnight and the next day the bike is gone.

They contact the rental company who inform them that they must make a report of the theft at the Police Station. This is then followed by a demand for money to cover the cost of the bike from the rental company.

In the cases we have heard about, tourists have been forced to hand over between 40,000 and 50,000 Baht otherwise the company will pursue the case with the Police.

We are sure that most bike rental companies who operate here in Pattaya are honest and law-abiding and this relates to only a small number of dishonest bike renters. In each case that we have heard about, the bike does not possess any form of insurance and the contract contains a clause that the hirer is liable for all costs in case of damage or theft.

After the case has been cleared, the bike will be mysteriously returned to the rental company and the money paid by the foreign tourist is not returned. To avoid this happening to you, we would like to suggest the following:

Only rent from reputable companies.
Ensure that the motorbike is correctly insured to cover damages and theft.
Check the contract for small clauses which could leave you liable for all costs relating to damage and theft by third parties.
Try and avoid giving rental companies your Pattaya address.
Buy a strong padlock and chain. Lock the bike away securely
If you feel you have become a victim of such a scam, please contact the Tourist Police on 1155.