PDA

View Full Version : Lions club President Jailed for extortion

zinzone
October 29th, 2014, 17:04
http://pattayatoday.net/news/thailand-n ... two-years/ (http://pattayatoday.net/news/thailand-news/publisher-sentenced-to-two-years/)

(but out on bail pending appeal)

See also:

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2014/10/ ... d-for.html (http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2014/10/lions-club-president-jailed-for.html)

Brad the Impala
October 30th, 2014, 05:42
What a nest of vipers!

Up2U
October 30th, 2014, 09:33
Justice finally caught up with him.

thaiguest
October 30th, 2014, 11:49
What a nest of vipers!

I was thinking of "brood of vipers" but "nest" will do ok too.

This particular cameo is not over yet-bail opens up endless possibilities in Thailand including bale-out.

The silence from the local english language media is deafening in this instance. Every 16 yr old motorbike thief and every necklace-snatching ladyboy is news fodder on nordic "english" language TV but not when the fraud involves certain farangs and millions of baht.

You may have see the recent case of the Thai lady having (probably) killed and cut up her 2nd Japanese husband was allowed to use the money she stole from his atm to pay for her bail.

homeseeker
October 30th, 2014, 17:07
I fully agree with the silence from the English media as mentioned by thaiguest. I tried to post a report about the conviction on the Thai Visa forum and was told the news source is unreliable and they are refusing to allow anyone to report about the case as others have tried to start topics on the subject which have speedily been removed.
it really is a shocking state of affairs.
The corruption in Pattaya is breath taking.

Up2U
October 30th, 2014, 19:39
The defendant's strategy is to sue for libel which is a criminal offense in this country. The local press doesn't want to incur court costs to defend itself even the these charges would be dismissed as frivolous in a western court.

thaiguest
October 31st, 2014, 02:56
The defendant's strategy is to sue for libel which is a criminal offense in this country. The local press doesn't want to incur court costs to defend itself even the these charges would be dismissed as frivolous in a western court.

Point taken.

But this instance involves a court ruling and is thus common knowledge and therefore cannot be construed as libel.

The investigative reporter involved has already fallen foul of the farang media mafia here so there's a closing of ranks when it comes to the free and fair reporting of this particular case.

It's ok to parade Thai petty thieves, drunken farangs, solicitous katoys, wife beaters, husbandicides, hi-lo players and the whole gamut of Pattaya criminality as TV News Fodder BUT NEVER OK to as mention the criminality of the brood of scamming falang vipers that infest society and especially the media here.

zinzone
October 31st, 2014, 08:01

Point taken.

But this instance involves a court ruling and is thus common knowledge and therefore cannot be construed as libel.

The investigative reporter involved has already fallen foul of the farang media mafia here so there's a closing of ranks when it comes to the free and fair reporting of this particular case.

It's ok to parade Thai petty thieves, drunken farangs, solicitous katoys, wife beaters, husbandicides, hi-lo players and the whole gamut of Pattaya criminality as TV News Fodder BUT NEVER OK to as mention the criminality of the brood of scamming falang vipers that infest society and especially the media here.

-Excellent post from Thai guest. Very instructive to see how much of the Thai media in Pattaya have conspired together in an attempt to prevent honest people learning about the conviction. Thank goodness for the bravery of the investigative reporter.

Up2U
October 31st, 2014, 08:16

Point taken.

Besides the links in the original post we now have this report :

:ymapplause: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya ... aya-court/ (http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/pattaya-newspaper-owner-sentenced-pattaya-court/)

The Pattaya Mail is a weekly so we have to wait. The Pattaya People and local TV personality is owned by Neils Colov, one of the defendant's buddies, so I doubt there will be reporting there.

LoveThailand
October 31st, 2014, 14:38
I fully agree with the silence from the English media as mentioned by thaiguest. I tried to post a report about the conviction on the Thai Visa forum and was told the news source is unreliable and they are refusing to allow anyone to report about the case as others have tried to start topics on the subject which have speedily been removed.

Have to drop by that forum for some info every now and then. Always feel like I need a shower after reading the majority of the posts there.

November 1st, 2014, 11:11
Sounds the sort of person who would fit right in to Pattaya.

Up2U
November 1st, 2014, 14:42
Thaivisa.com has deleted three threads on this subject without comment. All threads had the same links to the press reports we have posted here. Even though the press reports are true all the defendant has to do is show his business (PAPPA legal services) has been damaged by the negative publicity and presto, you have a lawsuit. The truth is not a defense in Thailand.

thaiguest
November 1st, 2014, 18:38

I'm not very conversant with Pattaya intrigue and the actions or rather counter-actions of Thai Visa puzzle me.

Is there an underlying reason why they don't wish this issue reported?

It can't have anything to do with the reliabilty of a particular news source as the ultimate source is the court records.

Fear of a libel action is not a legit reason either for to base a libel case on a court conviction decision is to pour contempt on the court and would leave one open to prosecution thereof.

Up2U
November 1st, 2014, 21:43
".......

It can't have anything to do with the reliabilty of a particular news source as the ultimate source is the court records.

Fear of a libel action is not a legit reason either for to base a libel case on a court conviction decision is to pour contempt on the court and would leave one open to prosecution thereof."

The point is not the accuracy of the news reports but the ensuing negative comments which are potentially libelous. All TV had to do was post the news links and then ban discussion. Permitting libelous discussion opens them up for lawsuits. It was this threat in 2012 that stopped the original arrest from being reported and discussed. Drew Noyes has dragged Andrew Drummond into court numerous using this same strategy. Libel law in Thailand and the Computer Crimes Act is like no other country.

egel
November 2nd, 2014, 23:43
The Pattaya People and local TV personality is owned by Neils Colov

Ah....he that was done for pimping, in Europe? Well he is a newspaper owner so anything could have happened.