PDA

View Full Version : Thailand - NOT in the Worlds top 10 gay locations !?

Nirish guy
October 21st, 2014, 17:57
So, should I have been surprised that Thailand didn't even make it into the Worlds Top ten gay locations ?

And in case you're wondering.......the worlds number one.....well according to Attitude gay magazine anyway is......wait for it...... Copenhagen ! REALLY ??

Source
http://attitude.co.uk/where-is-the-worl ... stination/ (http://attitude.co.uk/where-is-the-worlds-most-gay-friendly-destination/)

thaiguest
October 21st, 2014, 18:10
Outside the gay world (if such a place exists) Thailand just about retains its position in the official top 10 at no.10- France being no. 1.
Not bad in straitened and strange times.

Nirish guy
October 21st, 2014, 18:27
But of course me being the cynic that I am fully understands that "todays" top ten list as drawn up by some random reporter in whatever newspaper or magazine he's working for that week is of course REALLY based on how many trips each Countries tourist board has paid for him to go on in the first place, that is if he's even visited any of the Countries that he's even writing about in the first place anyway !

thaiguest
October 22nd, 2014, 04:39
But of course me being the cynic that I am fully understands that "todays" top ten list as drawn up by some random reporter in whatever newspaper or magazine he's working for that week is of course REALLY based on how many trips each Countries tourist board has paid for him to go on in the first place, that is if he's even visited any of the Countries that he's even writing about in the first place anyway !

Not quoting from some random reporter but from official statistics recording numbers of foreign nationals arriving in the respective countries.
Look up the Bangkok Post online which published the up-to-date data in its hard print copy 3 days ago.

Nirish guy
October 22nd, 2014, 04:56
Sorry Thaiguest to be clear I wasn't doubting or questioning your results in any way, I was just having a gentle poke at "surveys and the best top ten reports" or anything these days.

paperboy
October 22nd, 2014, 07:28
dosnt seem right
wheres Brazil and cuba ?????

Smiles
October 22nd, 2014, 08:03
So, should I have been surprised that Thailand didn't even make it into the Worlds Top ten gay locations?
Don't think you should be surprised at all. Thailand has always been a minor cog in the wheel for one very specific reason: most gay guys are not Rice Queens.
They gay blades who regularly visit (and in my case, populate) LoS are not coming here mainly for the ease of fucking themselves into oblivion with anything that moves, but because they are also sexually attracted to a certain 'type' ... in this case, the 'Asian' type.
With few exceptions most of my gay friends back in Canada have next to zero sexual interest in the 'Asian' type, and more often than not they don't 'get' my preference ... and it is a deep, close to exclusive preference.
The Asian Field is narrower, less deep than the broader Gay Field in general: thus the stats on Thailand produce lower 'interest' numbers as well.

dab69
October 22nd, 2014, 08:21
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/06/01/ban ... ion-title/ (http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/06/01/bangkok-claims-the-worlds-no-1-tourist-destination-title/)

" according to the third annual Global Destination Cities Index released by MasterCard. Bangkok beat London, last yearтАЩs No. 1 tourist destination, by less than 1%."

Halfhansum
October 22nd, 2014, 15:22
9. Reykjavik, Iceland .FFS ..??
...Think i will stick with Pattaya thanks...lol

Surfcrest
October 22nd, 2014, 15:26
I think a lot of how this is measured is based on the local resources, how accepting the hotels are, the nightlife, businesses endorsed by the local business community. I'm sure they get extra bonus points if you can drop in and get married. It's all good, if that's your thing...and so I can kind of guess why Toronto might make the list @-)

The reality is that gay people travel for a whole whack of different reasons. Some us may do a little research ahead of time on a destination before we go and find where the gay village is or gay destinations we plan on visiting. Some of us may plan where we stay and where we go based on that...or not. Undoubtedly, there's a whole demographic they've missed from the poll in the "not" group...those out climbing the Eiffel Tower, or laying on a beach or doing something not necessarily gay, where we probably aren't being polled.

Don't think you should be surprised at all. Thailand has always been a minor cog in the wheel for one very specific reason: most gay guys are not Rice Queens.

This is very true. What little gay scene Thailand has lives side by side with the commercial scene. Not every gay man is going to feel comfortable in a Thai commercial bar especially the gay guys that aren't Rice Queens or those that don't approve of the commercial scene.

But I'm also not so sure everyone here is necessarily a Rice Queen, although being so would certainly help. I'd be willing to guess enough are here simply because it's a lot easier to get what you want, when you want, within your budget...whether that's sex, love, the occasional rub and tug or simply nothing at all...but a bit of sun.

Surfcrest

a447
October 22nd, 2014, 15:39
Smiles, I think you've hit the nail on the head. That's exactly why I go to Thailand. Many of my gay friends in Australia also have no interest in Asians.

If only they knew what they were missing! But it means more boys for me....lol

October 22nd, 2014, 16:42
most gay guys are not Rice QueensAnd most gays are not looking for paid sex, and most gays are not older gays.

zinzone
October 22nd, 2014, 19:46
A substantial reason Thailand is not in the top 10 is that those who organize such surveys are a bunch of snoots who cannot get their thick heads around the fact that 'pay for play' is a large part of the Asian culture.
Its as simple as that.

Jellybean
October 23rd, 2014, 17:54
So, should I have been surprised that Thailand didn't even make it into the Worlds Top ten gay locations ?
In answer to your question NIrish, no I donтАЩt think you should have been surprised. I was however surprised that Copenhagen was the number one gay destination. Never been there and never had any plans to go there. Wonder what I am missing, apart from the Little Mermaid statue?

I think Smiles summed up my thoughts. Before I became ill I never thought about travelling out to Thailand. For one thing, it was too far and secondly, my friends and I werenтАЩt attracted to Asian guys and we definitely had no interest in prostitutes. As Smiles said, тАЬWith few exceptions most of my gay friends back in Canada have next to zero sexual interest in the 'Asian' type тАжтАЭ and I would say thatтАЩs exactly the view of my friends back in the UK.

My favourite destinations over the years were: Amsterdam, Gran Canaria, Ibiza, Cologne, Madrid and my favourite place тАж Barcelona. My last big holiday was a 4 city trip to Canada. I particularly liked Toronto. I had two very enjoyable long weekend trips to Budapest and Prague and planned to go back but, sadly, never did.

Apart from the sexy guys my friends and I were also looking for good nightclubs and great music. I donтАЩt believe Thailand has either of the last two, well none that IтАЩve discovered. DJ Station is ok, at least it has a dance floor, and something one would have thought was a sine qua non for a nightclub, but not so in Thailand! #-o The music, in my opinion, isnтАЩt quite good enough, the dance floor is too small, the lay out, over several narrow floors, not ideal. The unrealistically early closing of nightclubs and Thailand's highly publicised draconian punishment for drug users and the real threat of a police raids on nightclubs and forced drug testing will certainly put off many western club goers.

As far as I can tell, Thailand will continue to attract its present demographic for the foreseeable future and IтАЩm sure my esteemed fellow poster a447 wouldnтАЩt have it any other way. :)

Smiles
October 23rd, 2014, 19:35
" ... The unrealistically early closing of nightclubs . . . will certainly put off many western club goers."
Off topic, but: There is a very vibrant after-hours scene in Bangkok and even lots of smaller towns. Hua Hin for example has a night club called "Lok Nam" which goes with Thai and Morlum music until 2am, then, after a half hour intermission starts up all over again with head banger music ... my cue to exit stage right. Mostly that extra-night stuff centres around karaoke or eating, with Thais pouring into such venues after 2am ~ already sloshed from the bars and nightclubs ~ and carrying on until 4am or later.
Farangs in general are not lovers of either karaoke or stuffing one's face with food after 2am, but Thais are totally into that.
I enjoy late-night karaoke with Thai folks reasonably often (say 2 or 3 times a month) but I can't stomach food at that time. The old man on the other hand, cannot say "no" to either. :ymhug:

a447
October 23rd, 2014, 20:03
I was however surprised that Copenhagen was the number one gay destination. Never been there and never had any plans to go there. Wonder what I am missing, apart from the Little Mermaid statue?

I had a great time in Copenhagen at the sex clubs near the station. I wonder if they are still there?? That's where I was sitting in a cubicle and a truely massive cock came through the glory hole. It was attached to a Brazilian money boy hunk. I've been thinking about visiting Brazil ever since!

And the mermaid statue...what can I say? Never have so many travelled so far for so little. In fact it has been voted one of the top ten worst tourist attractions in Europe.

BonTong
October 24th, 2014, 03:47

This is very true. What little gay scene Thailand has lives side by side with the commercial scene. Not every gay man is going to feel comfortable in a Thai commercial bar especially the gay guys that aren't Rice Queens or those that don't approve of the commercial scene.

But I'm also not so sure everyone here is necessarily a Rice Queen, although being so would certainly help. I'd be willing to guess enough are here simply because it's a lot easier to get what you want, when you want, within your budget...whether that's sex, love, the occasional rub and tug or simply nothing at all...but a bit of sun.

Surfcrest
From most foreigners perspective the "gay scene" in Thailand is about the easy availability of commercial sex. If it wasn't, the places where genuine Thai gays (not money boys) go would be packed with farang rice queens, but they aren't. Go to many genuine gay bars/clubs in Thailand, especially outside the tourist areas, you will likely be the only farang there. A lot of the big clubs have hundreds of customers, compared with only a handful in many sex tourist bars. That is where the real scene is - far from Twilight or Sunee - and unknown to most visitors.

If you are a real rice queen why go to Thailand? Taiwan, Singapore, Seoul etc would be much better options. Potato Queens galore and not a money-boy in sight. Unless one has reached the stage in life where it's hard to score, even in a brothel for those on a budget :-o . In that respect Surfcrest is absolutely right.

Furthermore, the fact Thailand has a reputation for sleazy prostitution, lady boys and even underage, it's no suprise that sigma deters a lot of gay visitors who are just looking for a tourist experience.

Interestingly, one thing I've noted more in Chiang Mai the last couple of years is the increase in the number of younger gay foreign couples visiting as tourists. They pop into a "gay bar" or two to investigate the scene, then rapidly leave for the relative safety of a straight night club after several money boys have propositioned them for threesomes. :-\

October 24th, 2014, 14:59
Interestingly, one thing I've noted more in Chiang Mai the last couple of years is the increase in the number of younger gay foreign couples visiting as tourists. They pop into a "gay bar" or two to investigate the scene, then rapidly leave for the relative safety of a straight night club after several money boys have propositioned them for threesomes.Did they not examine their visa conditions carefully enough? Acceptance (nay, embrace) of such propositions is a condition of entry to the Kingdom isn't it?

latintopxxx
October 24th, 2014, 23:09
Exactly...as far as I'm concerned where the so called gay scene is concerned its non existent where farangs are concerned...its simply one big whore house....and thats why I LOVE it.

loke
November 6th, 2014, 17:48
Lets face it, older gay foreigners visit thailand for sex with younger guys. You can't show up in Iceland or Denmark and have sex with multiple partners under 20 , but you can in Thailand. Any day of the week, any hour of the day , there's a young boy willing to please you.

latintopxxx
November 6th, 2014, 21:00
loke...u really should pause before typing. Whilst in general I agree with your comment in that in Pattaya and BKk (only 2 places I visit) its real easy to have sex with multiple willing younger men the term "young boy" is uncalled for. I realise that "boy"is gay speak for a younger man....but "young boy"???

loke
November 6th, 2014, 23:14
yes a young boy, guy, dude or whatever you want to call any legal boy over 18 . In which other country will you see a 60 year old farang walking hand in hand with an 18 year old ? Here in Pattaya its a common sight.
Thailand is probably not a gay paradise for younger gwm but for us over 45 I guess it's heaven.As long as you can pay for it.

latintopxxx
November 7th, 2014, 15:07
ok. Clearly you dont want to hear my message.

Halfhansum
November 7th, 2014, 15:30
I try to not use the word `Boy` at all, as it is easily mis-understood by anyone not familiar with the terminoligy .

TravellerDave
November 7th, 2014, 21:07
Yes the term "young boy" should not be used as it has connotations of under-age i.e. Less than 18 years of age sex which has thankfully been stamped out as far as i know.
I used to visit gay resorts in Europe and my favourite was Playa del Ingles on Gran Canaria, where i last went 8 years ago. Im surprised it doesn't feature on the list. There were a number of gay bars and a gay beach, where nude sunbathing was de-rigour, backed by a large area of sand dunes where after flirting on the beach one could go and hide with a new boyfriend. The cops occasionally patrolled and sometimes voyeurs with binoculars were about.
Now being older and less attractive i go to Pattaya where love the gay scene and in particular the boys. Walking holding hands with an 18 year holds no fears for me and i have had few problems.

November 8th, 2014, 02:46
If an 18 year old (legally an adult in many countries) is a "young boy" what is a 10 year old? The purpose of language is to communicate. What are we communicating by referring to young adults as young boys?

loke
November 8th, 2014, 17:53
Ok I would refer a 12 year old to as a kid , imo a young boy can mean many things. Of course I mean a boy of legal age.

paperboy
November 8th, 2014, 18:19
hi
also the term "teenager " can give the wrong inpression, when you say i was fucking a teenager last night
he could be 13 or he could be 19

joe552
November 8th, 2014, 18:55
Who are "we" giving this wrong impression to? This is a site for gay men to share their experiences of Thailand - which will include, for some, sex with younger males. We all know (or should) that when someone uses the term "boy" they are referring to someone who is over 18. I have no problem with describing a 20 year old sex worker as a boy. So what's the problem?

latintopxxx
November 8th, 2014, 22:54
joe...there is a world of difference between "boy'and "young boy"; even in gayspeak. Like HELLO!! Sure as someone on the wrong side of 40 I really enjoy being able to "enjoy" Thai "boys" under half my age...but I would never refer to them as "young boys"!! My fav is masculine guys in their early twenties....have even been able to "engage"thai boxers off walking street...lovely hard bodies....

November 9th, 2014, 02:54
Lets face it, older gay foreigners visit thailand for sex with younger guys. You can't show up in Iceland or Denmark and have sex with multiple partners under 20 ...There are no male prostitutes in Iceland or Denmark? Iceland, maybe, but I recall plenty of fun to be had in Denmark, for a price.
Who are "we" giving this wrong impression to?"Of course homos are all pedophiles, they're always talking about wanting sex with young boys". If you haven't heard or read that comment recently you're going around with your eyes and ears closed. It's part of the rearguard action of the moral conservatives who are still smarting from same sex behaviour being decriminalised in the English-speaking world. It's a view that is rampant in (say) the African dioceses of the Anglican/Episcopal church, who get a lot of funding from American religious conservatives on the condition that they embrace that perspective. It's also the official attitude of Putin's government - homosexuals corrupt Russian children. I guess your newspaper reading is limited to the comic strips.

joe552
November 9th, 2014, 05:21
So I should choose my language so that it will not offend bigots? I think not.

November 9th, 2014, 06:23
So I should choose my language so that it will not offend bigots? I think not.Your language reinforces people's perceptions. Do you expect not to be abused in the street, or support legislation that bans "hate language"? If so, you expect others to choose their language so it does not incite hatred. Do unto others etc. Or, you can be a selfish bastard like most people and simply not give a toss.

latintopxxx
November 10th, 2014, 14:46
I'm starting to think that joe is simply winding me/us up.

a447
November 10th, 2014, 17:58
Joe is not winding anyone up. He can't be responsible if you have misread his post.

Joe wrote:
This is a site for gay men....

That says it all. He was referring to the word "boy" as used on this site. We all know what we are referring to.

I sometimes use that word, even though I'm into guys in their mid 20's to early 30s. But I wouldn't think of using that term away from this board.

joe552
November 10th, 2014, 18:00
Thanks a447 - I was just about to post a similar reply.

a447
November 10th, 2014, 18:06
Loke wrote:
Of course I mean a boy of legal age.

Of course, that's what we all mean on this board. Discussion of any other type of "boy" is, understandably, not permitted on this forum.

joe552
November 11th, 2014, 04:35
Let's remember who took this thread off in a new direction - latintop - a man who boasts about getting paid sex as cheaply as possible, and in my view, humiliating young sex workers (boys). I won't be taking any moral advice from him , thank you very much.

latintopxxx
November 11th, 2014, 04:51
what is this "alice in fucking wonderland"...joe u wrote "young boy"!!!! Being gay is difficult enough without a dumbass like u...and a447 pouring more poison into the well. just because we are gay doesnt mean we have to condone pseudo paedo speak. or r u too stooopid to realise how words can hurt. r we in cousin kissin territory.

a447
November 11th, 2014, 06:00
Latin wrote:
Being gay is difficult enough....

Being gay on this board is easy, Latin. We're among "friends" here.

You still don't get it.

And BTW,

Latin not so long ago wrote:
and if I don't manage to snare a beach boy....

So, looking for "boys" at the beach, were we?

November 11th, 2014, 11:21
Let me see if I got this write. In this Forum when we mean "young man" we say "young boy" and when we mean "young boy" we say "young kid". And a middle aged man would be a "boy", yes? So when I see Bucknaway and his "Look" in a gay place like Soi 4 or Babylon I should call out out "Hey you! Boy!"?

bobsaigon2
November 11th, 2014, 12:01
ALL of the Thai sex workers I've met during the last 16 years refer to their co-workers as "boys". They continue to be referred to as "boys" as long as they are in the business, with few exceptions.

If we're talking about non-commercial sex, perhaps some differentiation is in order to distinguish precisely what age we're referring to, for the sake of clarity.

latintopxxx
November 11th, 2014, 12:34
good try a447....again there is a difference between "boy"and "young boy"!! Even in gay speak it just sounds soooo wrong. At least try to be honest......stop twisting words.

latintopxxx
November 11th, 2014, 14:35
looking back at my previous 2 posts perhaps I could have been more diplomatic. Intention was not to pick an argument with joe or aa47 or anyone else. My point is that the word boy, usually in inverted commas is used in gayspeak to denote another man; what I personally found offensive was the term "young boy", to me it simply sounds unsavoury.

Halfhansum
November 11th, 2014, 14:49
Well i think we should all listen to the `Village people`.. lol

joe552
November 11th, 2014, 16:19
I blame the Village People for making me gay ;)

In the spirit of latintop's last post - I'll also apologise for any offense caused. I think we'll agree to disagree on this one.

latintopxxx
November 12th, 2014, 17:30
...conditional half hearted apologies dont count. and I credit ABBA with making me aware of my gayness...

Impulse
November 13th, 2014, 03:30
Latin Top is right in this instance. Young boy is so wrong, come on. I say boi or boy, but young boy sounds like a ten year old.

loke
November 13th, 2014, 23:29
Sorry but I think it's more a language issue , I'm not native speaker of English so in my language "young boy" could mean a boy under 20. I just used that phrase but maybe a twink or teen would be a better word.

latintopxxx
November 14th, 2014, 02:47
loke....sometimes silence is the best option...really a language issue....me no speakee inglish???....or flied lice....oh look...i see a flying pig...and money does grow on trees...

joe552
November 14th, 2014, 04:15
latintop, I'm a native English speaker (unlike loke) and I couldn't understand the point you were making after saying silence is the best option (which I agree with). But I couldn't resist responding.

For the record, I've had sex with teen boys in Thailand - all above legal age (although prostitution is illegal, I believe)

November 14th, 2014, 04:25
...conditional half hearted apologies dont countThe phrase "we must agree to differ" is only ever used in two ways, and is usually delivered through gritted teeth:
1 "I know I'm not going to win this argument but I'm not going to admit defeat"
2 "My opponent is a plonker who will never change his mind so I'll give him a graceful way out"
I'm a native English speaker You're Irish, aren't you? At best you speak a dialect of English.

joe552
November 14th, 2014, 04:36
Indeed - in much the same way the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish speak a dialect of English, and of course, the Americans, Australians, New Zealanders, etc, etc

loke
November 14th, 2014, 19:18
Yes I grew up in a small country and we do not speak English there , but we learn it at school Does that answer your question ?

Next time I will not use the word "young boy" but maybe twink to avoid any confusion.

November 15th, 2014, 06:05
Next time I will not use the word "young boy" but maybe twink to avoid any confusion.Some of my friends regard Professor Brian Cox (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12755524) as a twink and he's nearly 50

francois
November 15th, 2014, 11:32
One time at a gay bar, The Raven, in USA I referred to my exploits with Thai boys and was chastised by my companions. Most often now in the USA the proper term for boyfriend is partner.
The definition of the word boy depends so much on context, frame of reference, location and time in history.
Even the Marquis de Lafayette was referred to as The Boy (age 20yo) by General George Washington during the Revolutionary War in 1776.

MiniMee
November 15th, 2014, 14:45
Some of my friends regard Professor Brian Cox (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12755524) as a twink and he's nearly 50

Prof Cox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(physicist)) might not thank you for that comment since he is only 46. But similarly, Simon Reeve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Reeve_(British_TV_presenter)) is definately a twink and frequently described as boyish and he is 42.

November 16th, 2014, 04:57
Some of my friends regard Professor Brian Cox (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12755524) as a twink and he's nearly 50Prof Cox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(physicist)) might not thank you for that comment since he is only 46.Feeling sensitive about your age? I could have said "well into his forties" but I find pedantry about age rather tiresome. People are either teenagers, young adults, middle aged or getting on, don't you think? (You can assume I don't think of anyone younger than 13 as a person, indeed I try not to think or have anything to do with anyone younger than 13, including my own nieces and nephews). Shakespeare only admitted to there being seven ages of an (http://quotations.about.com/cs/poemlyrics/a/Seven_Ages_Of_M.htm), and frankly anyone over forty ...

MiniMee
November 16th, 2014, 17:46
I find pedantry about age rather tiresome. People are either teenagers, young adults, middle aged or getting on, don't you think?
(You can assume I don't think of anyone younger than 13 as a person...)Shakespeare only admitted to there being seven ages of man (http://quotations.about.com/cs/poemlyrics/a/Seven_Ages_Of_M.htm)

So, discounting тАШbabiesтАЩ and тАШchildrenтАЩ as you have, then the seventh age of man in your progression must logically be тАШgetting offтАЩ. Which stage have you reached?

November 18th, 2014, 18:46
I find pedantry about age rather tiresome. People are either teenagers, young adults, middle aged or getting on, don't you think? So, discounting тАШbabiesтАЩ and тАШchildrenтАЩ as you have, then the seventh age of man in your progression must logically be тАШgetting offтАЩ.I'm happy to report that I've been getting off for more years than I care to remember, and shall continue to do so for many, many more.