PDA

View Full Version : Hon. British Consul in Pattaya honoured in Birthday Honours

wowpow
June 19th, 2006, 15:46
BARRY KENYON, HONORARY BRITISH CONSUL FOR PATTAYA AREA, HONORED WITH M B E AWARD BY QUEEN ELIZABETH

Boxer of www.boxertravels.com (http://www.boxertravels.com) reports as follows from the United Kingdom:

"In the British awards from HM Queen Elizabeth II's 80th Birthday, our own Barry Kenyon, Honorary Consul for Pattaya, has been awarded the MBE: Member of the Order of the British Empire. Obviously and deservedly for his hard work in helping so many in Pattaya. Well done, Barry!"

BARRY KENYON, MBE -- Member of the Order of the British Empire! Congratulations, indeed, to one of the guys who spends incredible amounts of time helping visitors and residents of the Pattaya area who are citizens of the UK with any and all kinds of problems arising here! I don't know how many times Barry has been called upon to make presentations to the two different Expats Clubs here in Pattaya about the work he does as Honorary Consul, but I know it is several, and I understand he has made presentations to many other groups as well, and certainly to the UK Club, as well. He often speaks of the problems in assisting prisoners in the local jail, helping them get legal reprsentation, if needed, and when meeting with them, finding any way to be of help to them, at least in any way authorized for a representative of the British government. Deaths of British Citizens in Thailand are also a matter of great concern, something that always takes a great deal of his time, Barry has mentioned many times, and answering concerns about visas to visit the U.K. have also caused much concern for Barry. "I have never met a prostitute in all my years of service as honorary consul here", he says, pointing out that an applicant being identified as a prostitute is a certain means of being denied a visa to the U.K. for any purpose, and that this information seems to be well known within the community. .

Wikipedia Encyclopedia gives an indication of the importance of the bestowal of MBE designation on a British subject:

"Order of the British Empire
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire is a British order of chivalry established on 4 June 1917 by King George V. The Order includes five classes in civil and military divisions; in decreasing order of seniority, these are

Knight or Dame Grand Cross (GBE)
Knight or Dame Commander (KBE or DBE)
Commander (CBE)
Officer (OBE)
Member (MBE)
Only the two highest ranks entail admission into knighthood." -- www.wikipedia.com (http://www.wikipedia.com)

It is somewhat further explained as follows:

"This British Order of Knighthood was established in 1917 by King George V to salute meritorious achievement in military, political, or civilians circles. In descending order the five classes of the order proceed thus; Knight or Dame Grand Cross (GBE), Knight or Dame Commander (KBE or DBE), Commander (CBE), Officer (OBE), and Member (MBE). To be in receipt of the GBE or KBE / DBE the person on whom the honour is bestowed ascends to Knighthood, and thereafter is known as Sir or Dame." -- http://www.arnhemarchive.org/award_empire.htm .

Gaypattayan Weekly news letter

I'll join Boxer in congratulating Barry Kenyon.