PDA

View Full Version : report on stay TARNTAWAN PLACE, BKK

ChelseaNY
October 18th, 2014, 04:25
I've been helped very often by members reviews and opinions, and thought I would return the favors.

Just spent three weeks in Bangkok and Salaya, teaching at university and enjoying the city. I returned this year to the Tarntawan Place Hotel and it was a lovely experience. The staff always remembers me, they upgraded me on two out of three stays, and the hotel was in good shape. It's great that they've installed new, large safes in the rooms. The WiFi was excellent, as was the included free American breakfasts.

Some prefer a more modern style of decor, and it's true that the rooms and publics spaces are a little behind the times. But I like the traditional feeling and the traditional service.

I met some nice people and has a very invigorating time. Can't wait to return.

Maxxy
October 18th, 2014, 07:02
Agreed, I am always treated well at Tarntawan and always enjoy my stays there.

Up2U
October 18th, 2014, 14:23
Good to know they have large room safes now.

Oliver
October 20th, 2014, 10:48
Yes; it was a nuisance using the safes in the lobby, particularly now when I tend to want my passport with me in the evenings.

In general, the hotel has maintained its standards over the eleven or so years I've been staying and, in some areas, improved on them. For instance, I much prefer the buffet breakfast; much more choice for those of us who don't want an old-fashioned cooked meal. And the fact that so many of the staff have stayed there for so long is enormously revealing of the morale in the hotel.

frequentfliers
October 25th, 2014, 22:37
always stay there when in Bkk.

October 26th, 2014, 10:18
And the fact that so many of the staff have stayed there for so long is enormously revealing of the morale in the hotel.Completely agree

bobsaigon2
October 27th, 2014, 11:02
I am at the Tarntawan now, or is it 16 years ago when I first stayed here? Very little has changed. Still the same day time bell boys with their genuinely welcoming smiles, and one of them now with graying hair. Still one of the same waiters and some security staff who have been there since 1998. Furniture throughout the hotel appears to be the same, some slight cosmetic changes in the guest rooms such as new carpeting, flat screen TV, e-safe located at floor level to promote exercise opportunity for the senior guests. The only major shortcoming, which will probably not be addressed during my lifetime, is the bathrooms. No visible changes have occurred during the past decade and a half; the bath tub in 812 has cigarette burns and some other stains of unknown origin. But if sanitary facilities are not an issue with you, then the Tarntawan remains the best of the gay friendly venues in Suriwongse.

christianpfc
October 27th, 2014, 15:18
I recently went to Tarntawan Place to visit a friend, and was surprised that I had to leave my ID (German ID card accepted, I don't carry my passport with me) and even details were noted in a book. Whereas in Malaysia hotel, I go in and out.

The room looks nice, but seems a bit expensive to me.

Jellybean
October 27th, 2014, 17:52
For many years I happily stayed at the Pinnacle Hotel, on soi ngamduplee, off Rama IV Road. I really liked that hotel, but it entailed either a taxi ride to Silom or Surawong Road, or a trip on the MRT subway system to Silom Road. It was recommended by a fa-r├аng friend who had many yearsтАЩ experience of living in Thailand, but it wasnтАЩt exactly convenient for easy access to the main gay areas. That was long before I discovered this forum. After reading many good reports by members who stayed at the Tarntawan Place Hotel, I decided to use it when I rented out my Bangkok condo. In all I stayed there three times.

My first reaction, when I walked into the lobby, was that the hotel looked rather tired and in need of a makeover. But I could not fault it for location or service. The staff and management were always friendly and helpful. There was even space outside for me to park my car.

One time, when there were no vacancies and I had to use the Montien Hotel, across the road from the Tarntawan, their Wi-Fi was on a blink and I walked across to the Tarntawan and I was allowed to use their Wi-Fi. On that occasion the director gave me a free gift of a new calendar, despite not being a resident.

Sometime later, while at the Telephone Bar, on Silom Road Soi 4, the director, who was at the Balcony Bar with friends, came across and said тАШhelloтАЩ. I was surprised that he had remembered me. What a nice touch I thought. I would happily stay at the hotel again and highly recommend it to others who havenтАЩt yet decided on a Bangkok hotel.

Magnum
October 27th, 2014, 18:11
I stay in Tarntawan now and strongly recommend it. For me its the best choice if you are looking for gay hotel in Surawong area. Better than Rose and clearly better than Suriwongse hotel (near Jupiter). I feel safe if they check the ID of your visitors and really appreciate the call after your guest has left to ask if everything is alright.

a447
October 27th, 2014, 18:48
My hotel of choice for years was the Rose Hotel, because it was so close to Soi Twilight, where I used to spend so much time (not anymore!) and also because I got to know the staff; they are apparently the owners, and have been there since the beginning.

However, last month I decided to stay at the Tarntawan, as it is closer to Soi 6. I thought it was fantastic. Ok, it's a bit tired here and there, but the staff are wonderful. And, of course, they make sure they know who you are bringing into the hotel and ensure you are safe.

The room is not the Hilton, but it's more than adequate and big enough for me. And the free wifi was fast; at the Rose they haven't got free wifi - you pay 100 baht per hour! So free wifi more than makes up for the cheaper rooms at the Rose.

I'll be back in December and am looking forward to an enjoyable stay at the Tarntawan

Smiles
October 27th, 2014, 19:15
" ... the free wifi was fast; at the Rose they haven't got free wifi - you pay 100 baht per hour! ... "
Very surprised to hear this. Even the cheaper hotels to a large extent provide a free wifi service . . . it's almost taken for granted these days.

christianpfc
October 27th, 2014, 19:45
Malaysia hotel charges similar rates, per month it is 600 Bath. In my previous place, I had a contract for internet, that was 590 Baht per month, and I had the whole bandwidth for myself!

When a hotel charges for WiFi, or a restaurant ads service charge and/or VAT on the prices in the menu, I go somewhere else.

a447
October 27th, 2014, 20:34
Smiles, I think the women who run the hotel are caught in a time warp. Perhaps they don't recognise that wifi these days is a must for most travellers. I think they've been in the job too long.

Oliver
October 28th, 2014, 15:26
I have two recent experiences of paying for wifi in 4* hotels; one in Krabi, the other in Chiang Mai.

November 1st, 2014, 11:25
The only major shortcoming, which will probably not be addressed during my lifetime, is the bathrooms.Bathroom plumbing is a major expense and the Tarntawan bathrooms are the one thing I don't like about the place. I far prefer a walk-in shower rather than having to scramble in and out of a bath in order to shower. Plus the water goes everywhere. I too doubt this will be addressed in my lifetime (however long that may be).

thaiguest
November 1st, 2014, 11:45
Smiles, I think the women who run the hotel are caught in a time warp. Perhaps they don't recognise that wifi these days is a must for most travellers. I think they've been in the job too long.

Yes the gals be caught in a time warp. They sit there like defrocked nuns but in fairness they take the never ending stream of joiners in their stride.

The outdoor seafood restaurant on the way in is very good and reasonable.

A few years ago I was dragged across the road to a newly opened seafood place by cute but scamming little b-stard and his friend. They ordered this and that and then some more (in rapid cryptic thai) and chalked up a bill for 7000 baht in total. I had to pay of course and he admitted to me some months later that the restaurant gave him 2000 baht commission. I have never strayed from the Rose outdoor restaurant since.

Patanawet
November 1st, 2014, 12:04
I far prefer a walk-in shower rather than having to scramble in and out of a bath in order to shower. Plus the water goes everywhere. I too doubt this will be addressed in my lifetime (however long that may be).

Oh, I hope they don't do away with the baths. What better way to get rid of a hangover than soaking for half an hour in a hot bath with Boots Bath Cream? Oh, sharing it with a friend would make it better.

a447
November 1st, 2014, 18:21
Thaiguest wrote:
A few years ago I was dragged across the road to a newly opened seafood place by cute but scamming little b-stard and his friend.

Timely warning. That's why I usually only go anywhere with one guy - I'll take his friend only if I know him.

BTW the restaurant in the Rose, next to the pool, is awesome; apparently it has won many awards. But every time I've eaten there I've been the only customer. And I've never in all my years of staying at the Rose seen anyone in the bar. What a waste of money; you'd think they'd close it down.

The ladies at the reception desk are very helpful. Once I brought a guy back and they checked his ID and told me it was only a photocopy. They talked amongst themselves and then came back and told me it should be ok to take him to my room. He was obviously over 18.

The Tarntawan is very strict with joiners, even writing their name in a book. And I like the way they phone after the boy has left the room, just to check that all is ok. They've got it all worked out.

fedssocr
November 1st, 2014, 21:14
are the beds still hard as cement? I stayed there once on my first visit to Thailand. But have since moved on to more up-scale, comfortable places. They still send me a Christmas card every year though even though I only stayed there one time.

Nirish guy
November 1st, 2014, 22:26
Thaiguest wrote:

The Tarntawan is very strict with joiners, even writing their name in a book.

But should it matter to you re your own regular BF visiting or such like be careful as that same book as the guy signs in also provides the boy with a very literal list of your activities over the last few hours or days, thankfully for me it matters not a jot but I remember ( half joking) telling a regular guy from Soi twilight I go back with how good I'd been and how he was my first shag of the week etc ( on a Wednesday or something) to which he flicked through the book when signing and was able to tell me ( with him also joking me) about just EXACTLY how much I was lying through my teeth ! :-)

thaiguest
November 2nd, 2014, 01:50
Thaiguest wrote:

The Tarntawan is very strict with joiners, even writing their name in a book.

But should it matter to you re your own regular BF visiting or such like be careful as that same book as the guy signs in also provides the boy with a very literal list of your activities over the last few hours or days, thankfully for me it matters not a jot but I remember ( half joking) telling a regular guy from Soi twilight I go back with how good I'd been and how he was my first shag of the week etc ( on a Wednesday or something) to which he flicked through the book when signing and was able to tell me ( with him also joking me) about just EXACTLY how much I was lying through my teeth ! :-)

Thaiguest didn't write this but to me it's all over the top-too much recording of private information for my liking.

It could all rebound and bite you in the ass if you happen to be the first customer to be sacrificed in a new clean-up campaign if such comes about.

The hotel has a written record of your procuring the services of sex workers and that's against thai law whether they be 18 or 80.

jfarmer017
November 2nd, 2014, 04:20
A number of years ago when I was still a frequent participant in the Soi Twilight bar scene, I stayed at Tarntawan. It was a bit too dated and dilapitated for my taste. Although, the morning restaurant scene is quite a surreal site with the two-tops occupied by white sexagenarians and their Thai rentboys, all trying desperately to avoid eye contact with one another.

November 2nd, 2014, 08:08
The hotel has a written record of your procuring the services of sex workers and that's against thai law whether they be 18 or 80.One would have thought that the record kept by the hotel is of Thais visiting a particular room. Where is the "written record of [anyone] procuring the services of sex workers". I also wonder how long the hotel keeps a record of which guest is registered in which room. Six weeks? Six months? Infinity? I know they have a computerised reservations system but I doubt they keep historical data for longer than demanded by Thailand's Data Protection Act (http://us.practicallaw.com/0-520-0782) or Data Retention And Archiving Act (yes, I am making a joke).

fedssocr
November 2nd, 2014, 09:40
unless they have hidden cameras they don't know for sure what you were doing with that Thai guy.

a447
November 2nd, 2014, 11:07
Thaiguest, I think you are getting a bit paranoid.

The hotel only records the boy's ID and the number of room he visited. How is that too much information? And what does that info actually convey about you or the boy?? Not much.

How are the "authorities" supposed to prove anything illegal went on if they only have that info? Since when has it been illegal to take a guest back to your room in a hotel? How are they to know what went on in the room?

In any case, that hotel has so many guys visiting, the record book would have to be the size of an encyclopaedia even if they kept it for just a week. It's only a thin exercise book so I imagine they'd just throw it out once it's full and start another book.

goji
November 2nd, 2014, 16:09
Thanks for the tip on The Rose. If wifi is 100 baht per hour, that's not just a charge, it's bordering on extortion.
I could easily have my phone connected top that for part of say 6 hours a day. 600 baht.
Wake up check news and e-mails. Shower dress, have breakfast, check Jack D. 65 minutes..... (presumably 2 hours charge).

Then how does it work if you have 2 devices ?

bobsaigon2
November 2nd, 2014, 21:38
A few days ago I was having a late breakfast at the Tarntawan. There were five or six other guests in the dining room, all of advanced age. While eating or after eating we were all staring into space, consumed with thoughts of past liaisons, or silently bemoaning our solitary meals.

So I suppose it was not surprising to find that the (lesbian) manager of the nearby 7-11 has all of us older gents pegged as gay. I chose a sandwich and she said, "Oh, sir, that's buy two, get one free. You can have one for the boy at the hotel". Afterwards, I thought I should have said something like "Excuse me, madam, I watched the Giants win the World Series, so I couldn't possibly be gay", or a similar non-sequitor, just to unnerve her.

thaiguest
November 3rd, 2014, 02:01
Thaiguest, I think you are getting a bit paranoid.

The hotel only records the boy's ID and the number of room he visited. How is that too much information? And what does that info actually convey about you or the boy?? Not much.

How are the "authorities" supposed to prove anything illegal went on if they only have that info? Since when has it been illegal to take a guest back to your room in a hotel? How are they to know what went on in the room?

In any case, that hotel has so many guys visiting, the record book would have to be the size of an encyclopaedia even if they kept it for just a week. It's only a thin exercise book so I imagine they'd just throw it out once it's full and start another book.

Knee jerk responses are getting tiring for me.

Let me refer to the QUALIFIED statement I made ie "if someone happens to be the first customer to be sacrificed in a new clean-up campaign if such comes about"

In such a case the hotel will give the police a record of the boys who have recently visited your room. Then the police will contact the boys through the id numbers recorded by the hotel and they will question them in (probably) not a friendly manner.

They MAY get confessions about exchange of money for sexual services rendered.

YOU the customer will have to convince the police that the 5 boys visiting your room over the previous 7 days were; adopted sons abandonded by your thai girlfriend, orphans you picked up 5 yrs before on the street, coffee buddies, students learning english, KFC delivery boys or whatever.

It's not about being paranoid-IT'S THE LAW GODDAMIT!

November 3rd, 2014, 09:40
While eating or after eating we were all staring into space, consumed with thoughts of past liaisons, or silently bemoaning our solitary meals.I'm assuming this is (to be generous) poetic licence, rather than an intimate knowledge of each of the other diners. Or perhaps it is the writer projecting his own thoughts and fears onto those around him.

For my part I don't mind a solitary meal, and having spent a few years in and out of monasteries and seminaries at various times, I have a particular penchant for the silent breakfast. Having meal after meal with loquacious companions at high table has inured me to conversations which are little more than the expressions of ill-informed opinion. If there must be a conversation at least let it be of gossip (it's rather not done to discuss the attractions of the undergraduates in the dining room at my college, sadly).

Oliver
November 3rd, 2014, 14:31
Bobsaigon 2 reminds me that breakfast at TP can be fascinating. My memories include a m├йnage a trois of elderly falang, rather plain young Thai man and (I assume) his
mother who appeared to be from Isaan and was totally bewildered by her surroundings. Understandably.
And then there was a middle-aged falang with a gigantic khatoey who ate a huge ice cream for breakfast and exchanged not a word with her sponsor throughout.
A story at every table.

a447
November 3rd, 2014, 16:39
Thaiguest wrote:
Knee jerk reactions are getting tiring for me.

Yes, for me too, Thaiguest.

I know prostitution is illegal in Thailand. I am aware that the police MAY do this or MAY do that. It's Thailand, so anything is possible. If you worried about what could happen in LOS then why would anyone bother going there?

But you are being paranoid, because the chance of the scenario you described happening is so minuscule, compared to the other ways of finding sex workers and their customers, as to be laughable.

For example, the police would not have to go to a hotel and ask for their records and then go out looking for the boys involved; they could just turn up at a hotel, collect the ID cards held at reception and wait for the boy to come downstairs.

And do you really think the Tarntawan Hotel would be so stupid as to put themselves in such a position (and thereby put themselves out of business)??

What you described could theoretically happen.

But then again, I never said it couldn't.

thaiguest
November 4th, 2014, 15:11
Thaiguest wrote:
Knee jerk reactions are getting tiring for me.

Yes, for me too, Thaiguest.

I know prostitution is illegal in Thailand. I am aware that the police MAY do this or MAY do that. It's Thailand, so anything is possible. If you worried about what could happen in LOS then why would anyone bother going there?

But you are being paranoid, because the chance of the scenario you described happening is so minuscule, compared to the other ways of finding sex workers and their customers, as to be laughable.

For example, the police would not have to go to a hotel and ask for their records and then go out looking for the boys involved; they could just turn up at a hotel, collect the ID cards held at reception and wait for the boy to come downstairs.

And do you really think the Tarntawan Hotel would be so stupid as to put themselves in such a position (and thereby put themselves out of business)??

What you described could theoretically happen.

But then again, I never said it couldn't.

I accept that perhaps I came across as paranoid but in real life I'm not.
What makes my hypothetical scenario more realistic than before is that the law prohibits prostitution and the present regime has promised to come down heavily on police curruption.
Prostitution could not survive without police curruption.

I think that there too much paperwork around bringing a boy back to the Tarntawan hotel.

lego
November 4th, 2014, 16:25
The hotel has a written record of your procuring the services of sex workers and that's against thai law whether they be 18 or 80.
I agree, that would be horrendous! They'd fine you 500 baht on top of whatever you had paid to the sex worker if that happens and that would surely ruin your holiday. :))

Nirish guy
November 5th, 2014, 01:22
I think the key point here is that as already been stated the hotel are not making any comment on who you're bringing to your room or why, they are merely following ( they tell me) Thai law that states all guests staying in the hotel must be registered and they then for other guests safety extend that rule to anyone visiting anywhere other than the ground floor lobby of the hotel.

Personally I think it's fine how things are there and even if the police were to somehow enforce said rules about prostitution ( assuming that was what your guest was even there in the first place as of course it has been known that people can visit your room for reasons other than just paid sex you know!) I doubt very much even just due to the sheer numbers of guests involved that they would ever move to prosecute anyone anyway and even if they did I'd also be interested as to how they might try to "prove" you were actually engaging in intercourse in your room as just because a guy merely says doesn't of course always make it so.

MiniMee
November 5th, 2014, 19:37
...how they might try to "prove" you were actually engaging in intercourse in your room...

Since when has engaing in sexual intercourse in a hotel room been against any rules?

Up2U
November 5th, 2014, 21:18
...how they might try to "prove" you were actually engaging in intercourse in your room...

Since when has engaing in sexual intercourse in a hotel room been against any rules?
It's not the sex, it is sex for money(i.e., prostitution), that's why some hotels have joiner policies.

MiniMee
November 6th, 2014, 12:48
It's not the sex, it is sex for money(i.e., prostitution), that's why some hotels have joiner policies.

Ah yes, if you invited a joiner to your room and he paid you to have sex with him, then you would indeed be breaking the law.

a447
November 6th, 2014, 14:06
Minimee, WTF are you on??

Nirish wrote:
if the police were to somehow enforce said rules about prostitution

.....paid sex

What didn't you understand about Nirish's post?

joe552
November 6th, 2014, 15:04
I think MiniMee was referring to the fact that NIrish is now so popular and well-known, that he can command a premium price from the boys and many are willing to pay it.

Nirish guy
November 6th, 2014, 16:34
lol Joe you are what we up here in the North call "a Geg " !

And if ONLY what you said was true as if so it would save me a small fortune on my hooker money spending bill during my trips ! :-(

MiniMee
November 7th, 2014, 13:37
With the possible exception of Bucknaway, who frequently tells us that there are queues of people of all ages, races, and genders, everywhere he goes, just waiting to ravish his body, I think it is unlikely that any of us here get paid to have sex.

I include myself in that of course. I have never been paid for sex and I am never likely to be, so I have no fear of ever being challenged for engaging in prostitution.

Those here still on some sort of Sunday school induced guilt trip, should look up the definition of prostitution (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prostitution) and, if still in doubt, read up on the тАЩsaid rulesтАЩ referred to above.

Perhaps NIrish guy or тАШa447 could list the тАШsaid rulesтАЩ that they seem to be in fear of.

a447
November 7th, 2014, 14:43
minimee wrote:
a447 could list the тАШsaid rulesтАЩ that they seem to be in fear of.

Where did I say that I was "afraid" of anything??

And do you really think the Thai authorities base their laws on definitions found in the Merriam-Webster dictionary? Lol

Nirish guy
November 7th, 2014, 14:53
Mini mee are you SERIOUSLY suggesting I was suggesting that it was the farang who was the prositute here ? Surely not, I'm guessing you were just having a wee troll where you have a dig trying to bait people like so many of your other posts, if so I'll leave you to it as I CBA. Thanks.

Brad the Impala
November 8th, 2014, 01:31
With the possible exception of Bucknaway, who frequently tells us that there are queues of people of all ages, races, and genders, everywhere he goes, just waiting to ravish his body.

Well that's the problem. He isn't telling us! He told us that he had arrived, then silence. I was looking forward to thorough details of his latest cavort through the the sex parlours and saunas but nothing.

Hope all is well with you Bucknaway and that you haven't decided that discretion is the better part of valour.

November 8th, 2014, 02:53
I think it is unlikely that any of us here get paid to have sex.I've certainly had offers from undergraduates to adjust their grades in return for sex, so your assumptions cannot be true unless you are limiting yourself to money. They're also untrue in the historical sense that there have been posts in the past occasionally from posters admitting to having turned tricks when younger. You may be right about bucknaway - The Look he affects is certainly very popular in some of the latest gay porn that's available.

LoveThailand
November 8th, 2014, 15:23
The majority here I assume are reduced to monetary transactions. Easier - the going rate is more or less clear. Barter exchange sounds too complicated.

November 9th, 2014, 02:50
The majority here I assume are reduced to monetary transactions. Easier - the going rate is more or less clear. Barter exchange sounds too complicated.Considering that the entire economy of say Ancient Egypt was wholly based on barter until Alexander the Great came along (ie. for millenia) barter can't be that difficult a concept. We even have a phrase for it "You scratch my back and I'll scratch your back". There's also "One good turn deserves another". Reciprocity is the basis of moral behaviour (not God - sorry, Tim Cook).

christianpfc
November 9th, 2014, 23:11
Some years ago, I had an offer by a gayromeo acquaintance (Thai boy who teaches English): I suck his cock for 5 minutes, he teaches me Thai for one hour. He was not so much my type, so I declined.

November 10th, 2014, 11:55
Some years ago, I had an offer by a gayromeo acquaintance (Thai boy who teaches English): I suck his cock for 5 minutes, he teaches me Thai for one hour. He was not so much my type, so I declined.Your cock-sucking skills are legendary, Christian, whereas his skills at teaching Thai are untested.