View Full Version : Pinnacle (Lumphini) Hotel, Bangkok ...

Smiles
October 2nd, 2014, 09:38
JUST FYI:

We spent 3 nights at the Pinnacle Hotel last week (Troubles-in-Paradise ... my Nespresso 'frother' went south on me ~ talking about yer middle class problems ~ and was obviously in need of some mouth-to-mouth: the Thailand Nespresso Co. ('Repairs Dept') is just a 10 minute walk away on the corner of Silom & Rama 4), an hotel which has not been blessed by our dark shadows in many a year.

But a pleasant surprise it was: the lobby has been very nicely renovated since our last stay (around 2005!), the room was large, very comfy king-size bed (I like mine rather on the hard side), great view from the 9th floor out over Lumphini Park just across the road. Downside ... the hot water took forever to arrive and when it did I would not exactly call it 'hot', rather like lukewarm tea. But the days in muggy BKK were hot and I'm pretty used to cold showers in September, so small issue.
The included breakfast was quite a bit better than I remember with lots of variety of pretty decent Thai food, and the usual mediocre western fare ... you know, those silly hotdog things posing as sausages, and fried eggs (broken or not broken) waiting in a hot pan, with a smiling ~ yes, smiling, and it's early! ~ Thai lady willing to provide scrambled or omleteisized. Avoid the pineapple juice (very watered down it seemed), and I might add the coffee to that list as well .... Suphot had to run ~ at speed! ~ to the hong nam almost immediately after half a cup. Not good, but what's a tad of diarrhea among friends.
Oh, and the breakfast room was chock-a-block full of farangs-with-Thai-guys, having a sleep-over. How sweet ... (very) large-meets-slim over scrambled eggs and a side of pad thai. Obviously taking a boy off from a bar and stuffing him into your room is not an issue at the Pinnacle ... and one handsome guy I noticed over my orange juice had a big grin on his face for the entire time, obviously having enjoyed the stuffing.

For those who have not stayed at the Pinnacle before: the Bangkok subway is about a 30 second walk away, and it will take you to the Silom Station (Saladaeng( of the Skytrain in about 2 minutes. Lumphini Park is across the road and in fact, in the evening, the walk from Pinnacle to Silom/Surawong Central is quite pleasant, taking about 20 minutes.

And the price was right: 3200 baht (all in) for three nights which I think is quite a nice bargain for a hotel in the Silom district during low season (reservations booked over http://www.booking.com, one of whose adds pops up unannounced every so often on this message board at annoying intervals).

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

It has become a habit these days during trips to Bangkok (Just FYI ... we live in Hua Hin which is about 140 miles south, so the Big Mango only pulls us into it's debauched bosom a few times a year) to try out a different restaurant every time, mostly ones found on 'lists' ~ you know the ones: 'Best 10 Restaurants in Bangkok' and such like.

So this time we touched base with a little joint right on the river ... if one was in the mood one could touch the water with one's fingertip. I did not. It's name is 'Steve', and finally finding the place is an adventure in itself. But we made it finally (after snapping a bit with the know-it-all I have for a partner) and ended up quite charmed with the location, the ambience, and the mood lighting twinkling out across the Chao Phraya.
Food was extremely well-served and some nice 'extra' takes on some pretty common dishes (the spring rolls were not oily in the least ~ that's hard to find by itself ~ and the dipping sauce home prepared). I would not say that I have never had a meal just as delicious right here in Hua Hin (we are loaded here with terrific restaurants), but just sitting at Steve's with good food in front of us, a cold bottle of beer, and the sun going down over the west shore of the river was a good reason to be there if all we had in front of us was a few chewy strands of 'moo dtat dieuw'.

Well recommended for easy going lazy evenings and excellent food: http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/steve-cafe.htm

PeterUK
October 2nd, 2014, 10:17
It's usually best to book your room at the Pinnacle through the temperamental but cheaper Jimmy, but your 3-day price looks pretty reasonable. Is the white cockatoo still on its perch at the entrance? Adorable little creature but prone to shrieking fits and finger-biting. Last time I was there (about 9 months ago) there was an excellent little coffee shop on the corner by Soi Ngam Duplee where cars and motorcycles turn into the hotel.

Smiles
October 2nd, 2014, 10:54
It's usually best to book your room at the Pinnacle through the temperamental but cheaper Jimmy, but your 3-day price looks pretty reasonable. Is the white cockatoo still on its perch at the entrance? Adorable little creature but prone to shrieking fits and finger-biting. Last time I was there (about 9 months ago) there was an excellent little coffee shop on the corner by Soi Ngam Duplee where cars and motorcycles turn into the hotel.
I did not see a white cockatoo, but there is kind of a jungle-jim contraption there now just outside the front doors where upon four cute little colourful birdies live. The will come to you sideways along the sticks and peck at your hand, but they are not noisy. You won't like this Peter, but the poor things cannot fly away as some 'alterations' have been made to their wings.

I haven't bothered with the notorious Jimmy since about 2003. The booking.com types of websites work fine.
The coffee shop still exists

anonone
October 2nd, 2014, 12:53
Nice write up, Smiles.

I rarely stay in Bangkok, but the Lumphini area was a great location. I enjoyed Lumphini park every morning for some exercise amongst the groups of tai chi practitioners...and even a jazzercise class or two.

Hopefully your frother repair was successful and you will not have to endure the typical "Thai" coffee anymore.

LoveThailand
October 2nd, 2014, 13:51
Thank you for update on Pinnacle.
I am thinking about making it my BKK base during November visit.

Smiles
October 2nd, 2014, 14:30
Thank you for update on Pinnacle.
I am thinking about making it my BKK base during November visit.
Just a reminder LoveThailand ... the prices will almost certainly be more in November. September is rather low season, thus the good deal. Just a guess but I think you'd probably have to add another 1000 baht for a 3-nighter in Nov.

Dodger
October 2nd, 2014, 17:08
Smiles wrote:

I did not see a white cockatoo

Sad...that talkative (and sometimes sarcastic) white bird has been perched at the front door for many years and I fear he may have bit the dust.

With the exception of those rubbery little hot dogs mascarading as breakfast sausage the buffet is pretty good. There was a boy working the front desk during my last stay who I would have liked to have for breakfast as well....in this case a rubbery hot dog would have worked fine.

For location I still splurge on Tarntewan.

Off to O'Hare Airport in 30 minutes to LOS...so signing off for 3 months.

Cheers

Smiles
October 2nd, 2014, 19:11
Off to O'Hare Airport in 30 minutes to LOS...so signing off for 3 months.
Cheers
Goodnight and goodbye Dodger. Get a room, eh. For you and your hotdog.

gaymandenmark
October 2nd, 2014, 20:00
Do they stiil charge a joiners fee, if you bring a friend, even if you have booked a room for two persons?

Smiles
October 3rd, 2014, 00:45
Do they stiil charge a joiners fee, if you bring a friend, even if you have booked a room for two persons?
Sorry, I don't know.
We check in as a couple and that's how it is.
If one comes back to the Pinnacle, boy-in-tow, to a room booked for one person I have no idea.
Does one book a room for two, without #2 being present upon check in time?
Does not the farang with a booked reservation go straight to his room without a word to the night desk ... accompanied or not? From my observation you can certainly do that if you wish. Who cares ... ?

You can read experiences (over time ~ going back nearly 10 years) regarding this at the Pinnacle if you click on some links at the bottom of the page.

slag
October 3rd, 2014, 08:29
White cockatoo has been moved to one of the Hotel's Island properties
Jimmy is still worth booking through...through to end Oct rooms can be had for 1/2 price....stay one day get one day free.
Jimmy's price includes room for 2 with two breakfast coupons

goji
October 4th, 2014, 01:57

Paying that every night would kill the deal.
What a scam. Holding a joiners ID in reception costs the hotel nothing, so to charge is just greedy.

Yraen
October 4th, 2014, 20:15
I have stayed at Pinnacle Lumphini many times, most recently last October. Jimmy's service was most adequate and good value.

I always book a room for 2 and I get 2 bfst coupons regardless of whether someone accompanies me to the dining room or not. My partner - and before him my 'trade' - did not attract a "joiners fee". I checked in (usual rigmarole) and that was my last contact with the desk until I departed. My partner joined me on the 2nd day without any problem.

Because of its proximity to MRT and and local shops I recommend it to friends.

paperboy
October 5th, 2014, 07:58
hi every one

can i just say, i always stay at the malyasia hotel
cheep, no problems for bringing people back, nice pool, abd a bonas for me is the bar open 24hr
i9ts only anothewr 5 min walk from the pinnacle

Dick
October 5th, 2014, 11:18
I've not stayed at the Pinnacle for perhaps 10 years. I like the area but much prefer Vincent's (and the seven rooms) just across the road from the Pinnacle. The cockroaches in the Pinnacle put me off... Its no joke when its advisable to disturb the pillows after entering the room to watch the horrid things speed away to some other dark cranny in the woodwork. Vincents is a similar price to what Smiles paid at the Lumpini; glad to hear he had no issues as I did with his room.

If you don't already know it, Yok Yor restaurant Klongsan is another restaurant on the Chao Praya river worth a visit. You can take your own bottle if preferred.
http://yokyor.co.th/english/yokyor/location.html

October 5th, 2014, 13:16
Any truth in the rumour Vincents is closing?