PDA

View Full Version : AT LONG LAST

Dalewood
September 26th, 2014, 09:54
It has been over twenty years, but I am finally coming back to Thailand in April. I might try to make a quick run to Angkor Wat. In the august opinions of the board members, what will be the biggest changes in Bangkok and Pattaya? I still can not believe a subway was built with the high water table.

Dalewood
September 26th, 2014, 09:59
By the way, I got a Delta fare for under $1000 US from the East Coast.

catawampuscat
September 26th, 2014, 12:26
Not many left standing, who remember late 1980's and early 1990's.
No doubt, most everything changed. Look forward to your thoughts
next April. You do remember, April is the hottest, most humid month.

Jellybean
September 26th, 2014, 16:06
If it was over 20 years ago since you were last in Bangkok, then I am assuming the Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS) or Skytrain (r├│t-fai-f├бa) will be new to you. I find that itтАЩs a great way of getting around Bangkok, especially during тАШrush hoursтАЩ, and thus avoiding the misery of being stuck in traffic jams. I wish London had such a system as I much prefer to travel over-ground than being on the London Underground system. Of course, as you mentioned, Dalewood, Bangkok also has a subway or underground system called the MRT (r├│t-fai-f├бa-dt├вai-din) which serves many areas not covered by the Skytrain.

Hope you have a great time in April, but if arriving during the Thai New Year celebrations (s┼Пng-graan) be prepared to be soaked!

Up2U
September 26th, 2014, 16:51
MRT, BTS, Suvarnabhumi Airport, new motorways, high rise condos and hotels, shopping malls both low end and high end, family marts and 7-11's. Pattaya the same but without the mass transit. The baht bus is still 10 baht. Did I mention the Russians?

Nirish guy
September 26th, 2014, 17:21
Not to mention 1500 - 2000 baht for short time in Soi Twilight plus 500 or 600 baht off fees ! I'm guessing you'll be wishing it was 20 years ago again on your return, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

topjohn5
September 26th, 2014, 19:05
It has been over twenty years, but I am finally coming back to Thailand in April. I might try to make a quick run to Angkor Wat. In the august opinions of the board members, what will be the biggest changes in Bangkok and Pattaya? I still can not believe a subway was built with the high water table.

I think this qualifies you to be considered a virgin again :-BD

MiniMee
September 26th, 2014, 19:52
Bangkok also has a subway or underground system called the MRT (r├│t-fai-f├бa-dt├вai-din)

Now you are taking things too f├бa. It is just a r├│t-fai-dt├вai-din.

I think that qualifies you to be consideed a virgin again

On that basis, it can only be a matter of another year or two before scottish-guy is also a virgin once more.

topjohn5
September 26th, 2014, 20:53
Bangkok also has a subway or underground system called the MRT (r├│t-fai-f├бa-dt├вai-din)

On that basis, it can only be a matter of another year or two before scottish-guy is also a virgin once more.

In my eyes....Scottish-guy is forever virginal....I'm not exactly sure what that means but it just sounds good ;;)

latintopxxx
September 27th, 2014, 07:32
OMG..,.20 years...like what...u were in prison???

Dalewood
September 27th, 2014, 08:22
1. Not in prison, just had to do what an only child has to do. I was afraid to take a long trip abroad.

2. I did not even think about Songkran; the timing is perfect (depending on your point of view) I had a fabulous time in Phuket one year for Songkran. Will there be any boys in Bangkok/Pattaya or will they all be upcountry for the holiday? :-s

3. Per my research, Angkor Wat is easy to get to--much more so than I had thought. One more Bucket List item will be crossed off.

catawampuscat
September 27th, 2014, 11:49
Angkor Wat in April is for mad dogs and Englishmen. It's all outdoors, climbing and endless trekking in brilliant
sunshine and the hottest time of year..chokedee.

topjohn5
September 27th, 2014, 15:20
1. Not in prison, just had to do what an only child has to do. I was afraid to take a long trip abroad.

2. I did not even think about Songkran; the timing is perfect (depending on your point of view) I had a fabulous time in Phuket one year for Songkran. Will there be any boys in Bangkok/Pattaya or will they all be upcountry for the holiday? :-s

3. Per my research, Angkor Wat is easy to get to--much more so than I had thought. One more Bucket List item will be crossed off.

I love Songkran and spent the whole Songkran last year in Pattaya. Apart from dodging the reversed septic tank trucks (I'm so sure those were cleaned out well, lol) I really liked taking a group of Thai boys down to Beach Road and they and I enjoyed it very much.
You will have NO PROBLEM finding boys staying around Pattaya and also Bangkok at this time.....they do not all go upcountry. And of course in BKK there are many natives there anyway.

I went to Angkor Wat in April or May once and it was hot for sure but not enough so you will regret it.....enjoy. If you don't already have company take a Thai boy with you to Angkor....the hunting is a bit sparse there although not impossible. The Thai boys will say they hate Cambodians and in general that is true both ways, lol, but they still will want to go especially to Angkor Wat and for free.

Jellybean
September 27th, 2014, 23:29
I commend you for your play on words MiniMee which, IтАЩll admit, raised a smile, but I was surprised by your correction.

IтАЩve been calling the MRT subway (or underground system) r├│t-fai-f├бa-dt├вai-din for some years and, before posting, I checked my notebook to ensure that my post was accurate. After reading your post I re-checked my notebook, checked my Thai dictionary, spoke with my Thai boyfriend and even тАШphoned a friend, so to speak. All confirm my use of the word is correct. So I hope youтАЩll forgive me if I say IтАЩm going to stick with it.

My dictionary shows the Thai for electric train is: r├│t-fai-f├бa and the Thai for underground is: dt├вai-din. So combine the two words and you have: r├│t-fai-f├бa-dt├вai-din for subway.

... I did not even think about Songkran; the timing is perfect (depending on your point of view) I had a fabulous time in Phuket one year for Songkran. Will there be any boys in Bangkok/Pattaya or will they all be upcountry for the holiday?
Apologies Dalewood for going slightly off at a tangent. So, to get back on topic, IтАЩll add that I am glad to hear you are one of the members who happen to enjoy the fun of s┼Пng-graan and that by pure coincidence youтАЩll be in Thailand to appreciate the festivities.

I went a bit over the top this year and kept buying bigger and better water pistols. I think I must have left at least 3 back in my condo in Bangkok and gave away my unwanted pistols to grateful Thai boys. My boyfriend and I also filled them up with ice cold water for added shock effect тАж mmmmwwwwahahahahahaha! :)

We also went out armed with small buckets for even greater shock value. It was all marvellous fun. But, much to my surprise and the annoyance of others, I didnтАЩt quite get the hang of it in the beginning and kept throwing the bucket with the water! =))

MiniMee
September 28th, 2014, 17:41
IтАЩve been calling the MRT subway (or underground system) r├│t-fai-f├бa-dt├вai-din for some years and, before posting, I checked my notebook to ensure that my post was accurate. After reading your post I re-checked my notebook, checked my Thai dictionary, spoke with my Thai boyfriend and even тАШphoned a friend, so to speak. All confirm my use of the word is correct. So I hope youтАЩll forgive me if I say IтАЩm going to stick with it.

My dictionary shows the Thai for electric train is: r├│t-fai-f├бa and the Thai for underground is: dt├вai-din. So combine the two words and you have: r├│t-fai-f├бa-dt├вai-din for subway.

Well Jellybean, it might be time to get a new dictionary and perhaps even a new boyfriend!

The word f├бa of course means тАШskyтАЩ and r├│t-fai-f├бa is indeed a тАШsky-trainтАЩ. Dt├вai-din means тАШundergroundтАЩ but an тАШunder ground sky trainтАЩ is surely an oxymoron!

Oxymoron = khad. Try that on your boyfriend!

Incidentally an ex-boyfriend of mine once told me a story, explaining that the word r├│t can be used to describe a vehicle of many sorts (r├│t-ban-t├║k = lorry; r├│t-mae = bus, etc.) When he first left the village and came to work in Bangkok (long before I met him) he saved up and bought himself a bmx bike. When he told his mother he had a r├│t-bmx she was impressed how well her son was doing. Not being very familiar with these things, or the English alphabet, she misunderstood a r├│t-bmx to be a r├│t-BMW!

christianpfc
September 28th, 2014, 19:08
From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_%28Bangkok%29

The MRT line is officially known in Thai as rotfaifa mahanakhon (р╕гр╕Цр╣Др╕Яр╕Яр╣Йр╕ р╕бр╕лр╕▓р╕Щр╕Др╕г) or "metropolitan electric train", but it is more commonly called rotfai taidin (р╕гр╕Цр╣Др╕Яр╣Гр╕Хр╣Й р╕Фр╕┤р╕Щ), literally, "underground train".

"fai faa" is electricity (literally "fire (from the) sky"). BTS and MRT are powered by electricity (powering underground by combustion engine would be difficult). The Thai railway is just "rot fai" (literally "vehicle (powered by) fire", most of them have Diesel engines).

joe552
September 28th, 2014, 20:07
Can we not have a forum for Thai spelling and grammar lessons? The OP returning to Thailand after 20 years will hardly be interested in this.

Up2U
September 28th, 2014, 21:25
From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_%28Bangkok%29

The MRT line is officially known in Thai as rotfaifa mahanakhon (р╕гр╕Цр╣Др╕Яр╕Яр╣Йр╕ р╕бр╕лр╕▓р╕Щр╕Др╕г) or "metropolitan electric train", but it is more commonly called rotfai taidin (р╕гр╕Цр╣Др╕Яр╣Гр╕Хр╣Й р╕Фр╕┤р╕Щ), literally, "underground train".

"fai faa" is electricity (literally "fire (from the) sky"). BTS and MRT are powered by electricity (powering underground by combustion engine would be difficult). The Thai railway is just "rot fai" (literally "vehicle (powered by) fire", most of them have Diesel engines).
Christian, I put your translation into my language program and played it to bf bwith a native Thai speaker. He immediately said BTS, when dtaaidin is added, he then said MRT. JB is also on the mark.

pennyboy
September 29th, 2014, 15:58
(-| What about a really interesting discussion about the misuse of the apostrophe =P~

Dalewood
September 30th, 2014, 09:01
Joe, although passenger trains are a huge hobby of mine, you are so, so correct :)

Dalewood
October 3rd, 2014, 07:38
Does Cambodian New Year contain the same goings-on as Thai New Year?

thaiguest
October 3rd, 2014, 09:10

Or more un-nervingly "rot-fai-naam-dtaai-din"

Dalewood
October 13th, 2014, 19:21
"Hi Sex" on Gay Romeo means the guy is a druggie, right? If I want druggies, I can stay right here in the good ol' USA. I tried to do a search on this site, but it did not seem to work.

Dalewood
October 13th, 2014, 19:26
I bought my first smartphone recently. As I understand it, the internet/data part should work in Thailand, but the telephone part will not. My thanks in advance..... (BTW, I downloaded Jackd----I think it may be an interesting app ;) )

Up2U
October 13th, 2014, 19:47
I bought my first smartphone recently. As I understand it, the internet/data part should work in Thailand, but the telephone part will not. My thanks in advance..... (BTW, I downloaded Jackd----I think it may be an interesting app ;) )
A Thai sim card will work fine if you have an international unlocked phone that works on Thai carrier frequencies (usually GSM 900, 1800).