View Full Version : why it's never a good idea to piss off a Thai guy !

Nirish guy
September 26th, 2014, 03:54
A Thai friend sent me a link to a ( possibly old) video currently doing the rounds on Facebook it seems ( hopefully displayed below?) which shows a farang getting well and truly pasted by a bunch of Thai guys for some reason or another that I couldn't quite get to the bottom of from my friend but I see it being is discussed on the Facebook link but canтАЩt read it unfortuantely, but no doubt he insulted or otherwise caused some Thai guy or guys to get angry and made one or all of them lose face in some way and ended up with the predictable result - heтАЩs just a lucky man they stopped !

This is perhaps a good reminder / refresher all for all of us oldies and maybe any newbies reading the board that when we walk the lovely peaceful streets of beautiful Thailand ( where Thai's couldn't POSSIBLY be capable of any horrific murders according to the police etc) that we should never even inadvertently underestimate the down side of pissing off a Thai guy or guys ( intentionally or otherwise) and if we are unlucky enough to have done so we should apologise quickly, loudly and repeatedly, whilst all the time getting the bloody hell away from them just as quickly as our feet will carry us in the hope that they will allow us to leave their presence unmolested, as the results, as we can see in the hopefully attached video aren't pretty !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHVcerUnvk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHVcerUnvk

Edit - sorry guys whilst the above link does work if you click on it, it appears I've forgotten how to embed video into posts here - can anyone remind me quickly or post the correct code perhaps and I'll re-edit accordingly ?

Gaybutton
September 26th, 2014, 06:02
Edit - sorry guys whilst the above link does work if you click on it, it appears I've forgotten how to embed video into posts here - can anyone remind me quickly or post the correct code perhaps and I'll re-edit accordingly ?
Don't feel bad. Many make the same mistake. On your link you tried to embed with https. Simply remove the s so that it is http. Then, as you can see below, it will work.

Instead of re-editing your post, I suggest leaving it as is so that others can see what the mistake was and can avoid making the same mistake if they try to embed YouTube videos.

That's one hell of a beating. I wonder what happened to provoke it.

[youtube:1vlha38q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHVcerUnvk[/youtube:1vlha38q]

Nirish guy
September 26th, 2014, 07:15
Yes good idea to leave that up for others to note and thanks for reposting - ha annoyingly I did go through just about every twist and turn between removing the http AND the s believe it or not but never getting that all going at the same time as the youtube link ( as this was originally a Facebook post and I'll not even bother saying how long that took me to work out I couldn't do that either !! ;-) the "S" in this case clearly stood for "stupid" :-)

And yes if anyone has or is reading any of the Facebook chat re that Clip it would be interesting to hear just what sparked such a strong reaction perhaps ?

extronaut
September 26th, 2014, 09:16
Sorry, but I had to laugh at the guy in the red shirt at 1:34. "Are you OK? " lol

Manforallseasons
September 26th, 2014, 11:01
After living here for a long time it became apparent that Thais are cowards, after seeing many fights I've never seen them fight 1 on 1.
I had something stolen buy a guy, saw him late at night alone I followed him to a very quiet spot said hi punched him in the face and continued my revenge, he'd just gotten out of the army and was as tall as I am he never lifted a hand......cowards!

arsenal
September 26th, 2014, 11:25
I don't know for sure but he sounded Russian. I once saw a Thai woman throw a Russian woman off a baht bus into the road and start kicking and punching her while the Russians' hapless husband tried to call the police. The Thai stopped her beating and told the man that if the police arrived it would cost them 5000 baht rather than the 1000 they apparently owed her. In the end all three went off somewhere so the Russians could get some money to pay the Thai.

paulosussex
September 26th, 2014, 13:53
and this today: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-new ... ad-image-0 (http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Chinese-tourist-attacked-tour-guide-rivalry-suspect/36017#ad-image-0)

Oliver
September 26th, 2014, 15:16
"Thais are cowards"? says Manforallseasons.
No doubt some are and some aren't....a bit like the rest of us I suppose.
The ones I saw in Soi 6 a couple of years ago weren't. I saw two drunken falangs repeatedly punching a third falang who, having been knocked down so that he bumped his head sickeningly on the road, staggered up and was immediately attacked again. A motor-cy taxi driver ran from his stand and stood between the injured guy and his attackers and successfully fended them off at risk to his own safety. Two bar-girls then came across and tended to his injuries.
I report this because the thugs were my fellow Britons and the responses of the Thais were exemplary.

Nirish guy
September 26th, 2014, 17:48
As Oliver said above - maybe some are but some most certainly are not in my experience.

I recall being in Sunee Plaza around 2am with two Thai bar boys on their and my motorbike when two rather large drunk russian guys walked past, they made some crass comments about 'how much I fuck you" ( I doubt they were gay and were just being assholes) - the Thai guys started bantering back and shouted something like "ok, you want to fuck me, no problem 10,000 baht" - to show they weren't ashamed of their jobs and that they considered the guys that gross that 10,000 would be the minimum they would accept ( at this stage I was more concerned that the wee buggers were going to get it and I was going to be left feckless for the evening lol! but the Thai guys assured me later they WERE just winding the Russians up) - ANYWAY....one word barred the other and I eventually got the guy on my motor bike to drive off, however within 5 seconds his mate had turned around again on his own to go back and take on the russians solo and in passing in the Soi the two Thai guys looked at each other in passing and basically said "fuck it, lets go kick their heads in" ( or whatever the thai is for that :-) and it took ALL my powers of persuasion to stop these two slim built "weakling" Thai guys going back to absolutely get stuck into the two Russian guys.

When back at my room I pointed that they may well have come off worse than the russians they laughed and said NOOOOO, never happen, we love fighting, we good fighters, we fight Thai and farang many times and never lose, but I'll never forget the sheer balls and bravado that those two guys guys showed that night in cold temper in their being quite happy to go back and jump on two large russian guys that that I would have run a mile from - and the first guy quite happy to do that on his own too at first ! - so, yes maybe some Thai's are cowards but DEFINITELY not all.

topjohn5
September 26th, 2014, 20:59
A more interesting question is what nationality would you say it is a good idea to piss off?

Nirish guy
September 27th, 2014, 00:42
A more interesting question is what nationality would you say it is a good idea to piss off?

Assuming you mean that as a light hearted question as of course it's the individual rather than the Country that dictates how crazy a response you get to pissing them off in the first place - so I was firstly going to go straight for the smallest Country in the world solely on the basis that even if you did piss every one of them off there's not much Country wise they could do about it, until I remembered that the smallest Country in the world is of course Vatican City and I'm guessing that's one group of people that you'd just be better not pissing off at all as you could end up excommunicated ( if you were one of their flock) or if you're more into the De Vinci Code stuff end up hanging from Black Friers Bridge in London or the like ! - so on second thoughts I'll just start proceedings by going for good old safe bet Switzerland as sure whens the last time you heard of them falling out with ANYONE - and even if you did manage to piss them off and get a bad reaction sure the worst might happen is that you could end up with large Toberlone jammed up your ass - which considering this board could well be something that might not be thought of as that bad anyway ! lol

latintopxxx
September 27th, 2014, 07:28
i would never deliberately piss of a brazilian...Thais are real easy...I can use and abuse...takes a lot to get them really annoyed..,but Brazilians can be deadly...

thaiguest
September 30th, 2014, 04:36
After living here for a long time it became apparent that Thais are cowards, after seeing many fights I've never seen them fight 1 on 1.
I had something stolen buy a guy, saw him late at night alone I followed him to a very quiet spot said hi punched him in the face and continued my revenge, he'd just gotten out of the army and was as tall as I am he never lifted a hand......cowards!

I love Thailand but I have to agree with MFAS on this one-I've seen enough myself and trusted friends have likewise seen enough to make me conclude that Thai males, are, in general, dangerous cowards.
They excell in 5 or 6/1 "combat" against hapless Thai victims or better still a drunk, stupid falang.
I observed the thick-set doorman belonging to Hotmail Bar in Soi Twilight slap around, kick and beat a drunk but passive falang to the cheers and claps of his fellow doormen; until finally an old Thaiman came along and put a stop to it.
A single thai boy was corned in the 7Eleven beside Happy Bar, Pattaya, by 5 knife-wielding thugs last year and he was lucky to escape with his life.
And sorry , the list goes on; the jet-ski scams are all carried out by weapon-wielding bullies, almost EVERY vicious assault I have witnessed involved a pack attacking one individual.
I only ever see one-on-one in the Muay Thai boxing rings.
These guys at least do a lot to redeem the name of the Thai male.

Gaybutton
September 30th, 2014, 07:18
I have to agree with MFAS on this one
Me too. You only have to read the local news media. There are constantly local news reports about a couple of men arguing, then one of them leaves and later returns with several of his friends to attack the lone man he had argued with. Sometimes it's guns. Sometimes it's teenage motorbike gangs. Sometimes it's even ladyboy gangs. The common denominator is several attacking one. That happens significantly more often than one-on-one. Even when it's one-on-one, it's common that one stabbed a defenseless person, shot, attacked with objects such as heavy sticks and clubs, sucker-punched - you name it. What I almost never see is anything about an evenly matched fair fight.

If you are unfortunate enough to witness something like this, how will you respond? It's not an easy decision, especially if it's a split second decision and especially if you're witnessing someone being seriously hurt, but as a farang probably the worst thing you can do is try to personally intervene. There are too many stories about how someone who tried to personally intervene ended up arrested himself, having the fighters turn on him, getting hurt, or even killed. It may also be cowardly, but the safest thing to do is let other Thai witnesses intervene if they so choose (more likely they are enjoying watching the fight rather than intervening) or call the police. Other than that, you're putting yourself at risk - serious risk.

lego
September 30th, 2014, 14:30
What I almost never see is anything about an evenly matched fair fight.
That's because most of these examples aren't about someone who is itching to have a fight, isn't that obvious?

The examples that were mentioned are either criminal gangs that intimidate their victims in order to rob them or guys taking revenge for a perceived loss of face they've suffered. I'd say the former happens all over the world (such as the 7/11 holdup) and the infamous "Thai male" is simply no exception to the rule, but the latter is indeed a trademark trait of (some or even many) Thai males.

From a Western perspective, I think what is most troublesome is the way even harmless conflicts senselessly escalate to deadly situations far too often. In the West, it's probably more likely that a conflict turns into a physical confrontation in the first place, but when that happens, there's usually a limit how far the combatants are willing to go. In Thailand, once it gets physical, there seems to be no limit whatsoever much more often (use of weapons, not stopping even when the opponent is already knocked out). Thai-on-Thai examples are just as shocking as Thai-on-Farang examples are, and also far more common, for example the recent murder of a little boy for damaging a tablet computer. These things happen all the time.

Oliver
September 30th, 2014, 14:45
I'm amused that British and American residents of Thailand have such low opinions of the Thai male when, for fifty years, our countries have been using overwhelming military force against largely defenceless people often from the safety of a plane six miles up in the sky....or a computer screen thousands of miles away. Are these what GB calls "fair fights"?

Gaybutton
September 30th, 2014, 15:35
Are these what GB calls "fair fights"?
Huh? How does a topic about Thais ganging up on individuals morph into the USA's military tactics and also end up having anything to do with what I think constitutes a fair fight? Since when are military tactics supposed to be fair in the first place? Maybe the next war will have referees. 3 free Howitzer shots for a foul. Whatever you're drinking, please send a case of it to me . . .

latintopxxx
September 30th, 2014, 15:47
loss of face, especially publicly is a major issue for Thais that triggers these nuclear type reactions.

thaiguest
September 30th, 2014, 16:28
What I almost never see is anything about an evenly matched fair fight.
That's because most of these examples aren't about someone who is itching to have a fight, isn't that obvious?

The examples that were mentioned are either criminal gangs that intimidate their victims in order to rob them or guys taking revenge for a perceived loss of face they've suffered. I'd say the former happens all over the world (such as the 7/11 holdup) and the infamous "Thai male" is simply no exception to the rule, but the latter is indeed a trademark trait of (some or even many) Thai males.

From a Western perspective, I think what is most troublesome is the way even harmless conflicts senselessly escalate to deadly situations far too often. In the West, it's probably more likely that a conflict turns into a physical confrontation in the first place, but when that happens, there's usually a limit how far the combatants are willing to go. In Thailand, once it gets physical, there seems to be no limit whatsoever much more often (use of weapons, not stopping even when the opponent is already knocked out). Thai-on-Thai examples are just as shocking as Thai-on-Farang examples are, and also far more common, for example the recent murder of a little boy for damaging a tablet computer. These things happen all the time.

Gaybutton spoke about apples, you replied with pears-very similar but still off the point.

The issue in question is not MOTIVATION (loss of face etc.) but the MODUS OPERANDI ie NEVER 2 MEN TOE TO TOE instead a cowardly gang attack on one individual.

There was a seemingly equal incident in a Walking St nightclub in 2012/13 whereby 3 thai bouncers chased 3 farangs from the club through one of those seafood restaurants and into the sea. One of the farangs drowned. 3 on 3 ? yes- BUT EACH OF THE THAIS HAD A PISTOL. That explains their gallantry.

Gaybutton
October 1st, 2014, 17:36
And here is the latest example of this kind of "bravery."

See the news and photos at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/ ... h-pattaya/ (http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/147898/cambodian-security-guard-attacked-in-south-pattaya/) and http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya ... d-pattaya/ (http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/cambodian-security-guard-attacked-pattaya/)

loke
October 12th, 2014, 13:57
I pissed off a thai boy in Sunee plaza once , I was drunk and new to the scene , I had to escape and he followed me back to the hotel I stayed in , he shouted he wanted to kill me and report me to the police of being a pedo Oh well, lesson learned.

latintopxxx
October 12th, 2014, 15:55
Good Lord, WHAT did you do/say to him to trigger that response??? At least I have the common sense to never make a Thai loose face in public.....behind closed doors its a different story.