PDA

View Full Version : Reorganisation of Pattaya beach operators underway

llz
September 26th, 2014, 01:13
I just read in Thaivisa forum (Phuket sub-forum) that this Thursday, police and military have been seen both in Pattaya Beach and Jomtian Beach measuring beach operators spaces. Some are said to be summoned to Police Station for "trespassing on public land". All seemed not happy at all with these visits. I do not know if our Dongtan Beach was concerned but I can only guess it was too.

This follows a major clampdown on Phuket beach operators, where I understand most sunbeds and umbrellas have been removed from the beach ; this will probably leave most oncoming tourists very confused to say the least.

It seems the situation in Pattaya and Jomtien was clearer, all operators having a proper contract with the City Hall ; however it seems some beach operators have stretched their spaces further than allowed. All this will probably result in less available chairs and more free space for those who bring their own equipment. I wonder if this possible new organisation will give enough space for all tourists especially in high seasion where, it seems, chairs and sunbeds are hard to get. It could also cause a hike in prices, which obviously would not be good news.

Dodger
September 26th, 2014, 01:50
Thanks for the update Liz...but there have been a lot of empty chairs at the beach consessions the past few years so don't think these new enforcements will have much impact on anything. If this results if fewer non-licensed beach stands than the more power to them. Now if they could only get rid of the jet ski scammers.

Nirish guy
September 26th, 2014, 02:25
It would actually be nice to have some actual BEACH i.e. nice soft clean sand to sit on should the mood take one, but I guess in Pattaya that's maybe not something that's going to be possible anyway judging by the quality of the surrounding beach and sitting on the chairs may well be the best way of NOT catching something nasty.

Surfcrest
September 26th, 2014, 10:07
It would actually be nice to have some actual BEACH i.e. nice soft clean sand to sit on should the mood take one, but I guess in Pattaya that's maybe not something that's going to be possible anyway judging by the quality of the surrounding beach and sitting on the chairs may well be the best way of NOT catching something nasty.
I can't agree more. It never crossed my mind on those days that I've seen the beach vendors set up a row of chairs into the water, that they were breaking some rule. I think business would survive just fine if they stuck only to their designated areas and that they didn't interfere with public space...ie; the pathway. I just hope the beach vendors that I've enjoyed doing business with over the years know that it's more about the great service, than the fact that they have the most beach space.

Surfcrest

christianpfc
September 26th, 2014, 13:21
It would actually be nice to have some actual BEACH i.e. nice soft clean sand to sit on should the mood take one...

Near the 7/11 and police box and Bamboo Bar, there is a large area of beach without concessions (umbrellas, chairs). When I go to the beach, I always see Thai people sitting there (on sand or towels) and eating and drinking.

Surfcrest
September 26th, 2014, 13:55
Near the 7/11 and police box and Bamboo Bar, there is a large area of beach without concessions (umbrellas, chairs). When I go to the beach, I always see Thai people sitting there (on sand or towels) and eating and drinking.
I swim the length of the buoys. The water is at it's nastiest for that particular stretch of Dongtan Beach down by the south end of the buoys and near the jet skis. There's a fair amount of garbage in the sand, but where isn't that happening when you don't have someone paid to clean it up? I wouldn't be the least surprised to learn that the storm drainage from the Thappraya Road flood zone empties directly into the sea at or around the police box...if not more. It's not the nicest place to hang out after it rains.

The better "cleaner" public beach is between the Rabbit Resort and the Pattaya Park Water World. There unfortunately isn't any shade there though.

Surfcrest

Up2U
September 26th, 2014, 16:11
I posted beach updates on the other forums with pictures. I will try to take some newer pics and post them here also. In summary, the city officials met with the beach vendors in August and explained the regulations enforcement. All vendors must keep within their boundaries, they would lose the first two rows of beds by the beach, the space between the adjacent sections would be wider. Also, the trees would be trimmed and the pathways covered with sand (yellow brick road). In fact, the pathways were covered but the sand was removed again because the pavers were not removed first with Chonburi officials overruling city officials upon inspection. The pathway by Rit's (which he covered) remains covered. The pines trees have been trimmed north Rit's section. Tree trimming will resume when the city has more money for the contractor. Tree trimming is a misnomer as the pine trees were farmed for their wood. There is little shade and people leave early because of the heat. The northern beach vendors are loosing customers to those vendors that still have trees and shade. The police have told the vendors they can not provide umbrellas in the back area for those customers that want a beach massage.

Nirish guy
September 26th, 2014, 17:30
The police have told the vendors they can not provide umbrellas in the back area for those customers that want a beach massage.

it never fails to amaze me the things in which the police manage to stick their noses into, I mean in what other country would the police be involved in small local municipality regulation enforcing such as this - and I wonder how (much) and why the areas arounds Rit's was allowed to remain covered ??? :-)

Anyway......on the topic of the massage guys and their towels, rather than try and hinder the massage guys ( who do add value to the beach area in my opinion) wouldn't it be great if someone either in City hall or the Massage guys "union" came up with some sort of actual massage area towards the back of the beach where the guys currently just lie you on the ( now to hot?) sand, you know perhaps some sort of temporary mini marquee type covering, with maybe even a few proper massage tables that the massage guys rent from their union when being used etc.

I do realise "never going to happen" of course but seeing as they ARE there every day and the customers are there every day and we're not going to stop wanting or getting massages at the beach every day and City Hall are trying to up the image and professionalism of Pattaya in general to make it the next Dubai lol ( and as Im not hugely fond of lying on uncomfortable hot sand whilst being watched by every passer by) you'd think there'd be some sort of mileage in a business plan / opportunity there to improve the current offering of "here, lie down on this semi dirty sheet that several guys ( and only that if you're lucky) have already lay and sweated on today already." - I'll not hold my breath on this one though perhaps :-)

joe552
September 26th, 2014, 21:32
NIrish, with business acumen like that, I'm no longer surprised that you can afford to travel to LoS so often. :D

Now, what should we call the massage guys' union?

Up2U
September 26th, 2014, 21:53
The Blue Shirts.

Nirish guy
September 27th, 2014, 00:23
NIrish, with business acumen like that, I'm no longer surprised that you can afford to travel to LoS so often. :D

Ha - Unfortunately it's more usually exactly BECAUSE of crazy ideas like that that I CAN"T travel to Thailand MORE often more like ! :-)

, what should we call the massage guys' union?

The Thai Muscle Mend Cooperative perhaps - then when City hall needs some dodgy under the counter oily handed work carried out they can just call in their "Thai Muscle Men" to do it for them - which would make a change from calling the local police chief I guess !! :-)