PDA

View Full Version : Wrong тАШuns and losers?

Jellybean
September 17th, 2014, 20:30
Besides the Scottish referendum to be held tomorrow (18 September) another leading story currently on the British TV news and in newspapers is the deaths of two British tourists on Koh Tao, a 23 year old woman and a 24 year old man. They were found naked and beaten to death on a rocky shore around 100m from the scene of a beach party. This has prompted a lot of stories about Thailand in the British media.

Whilst listening to a radio phone-in show this morning, the subject of Thailand was raised. One caller say that he had travelled to Thailand several times and had spoken to many expats. He then went on to describe them as тАЬA bunch of wrong тАШuns and losers.тАЭ тАЬPeopleтАЭ he said, тАЬwho were all on the run for something or hiding from something.тАЭ Another caller, a young backpacker, said тАЬThere was too much prostitution, both overt and covert, which he found hard to avoid, as it was everywhere.тАЭ The radio presenter then said he had holidayed in Thailand last year with his family and said he тАЬFound something very unsettling about seeing see old foreign men hanging out with young Thai girls, who were clearly prostitutes.тАЭ He then went on to talk about western men exploiting Thais and wondered if older Thais resented these type of people coming in their country. Other callers тАШphoned in to say this was broadly their experience of visiting Thailand.

What do members of this forum think? Were the callers right or wrong? Discuss.

latintopxxx
September 17th, 2014, 20:57
not so sure about the loser bit... not sure what uns means. I run across lots of satisfied old expats, some grumpy (but then most old people r grumpy) who prefer life in thailand to life in cold europe. A euro goes much further in Thailand, weather is warm so kinder to old people who seem to be full of aches and pains...and they can afford to keep a young dolly bird to keep them company.
Whats wrong with that...
As for the thais they got a good deal, a nice steady income....considering the minimm or even average Thai wage the working boys I throw 1000bht at for their services are doing very nicely thank you.
Thais are also quite capable of "abusing"one another where it comes to money and services provided, clearly its more glaring obvious where one half is of a different race but the average Thai man of substance has a stable of fillies he takes out for a ride occasionally.
Dont let the western tree hugging judeo chriestian cardigan wearing greenie whale lovers do a guilt trip on you....they afe probably envious.

PeterUK
September 17th, 2014, 22:37
Many dodgy geezers and losers. Widespread overt prostitution. The unsettling sight of old men accompanied by much younger girls (and boys). Western exploitation of Thais. Resentful older Thais. Particularly in relation to Pattaya, what's controversial about all that? Okay, a bit of nuance wouldn't go amiss. For instance the exploitation is hardly one-sided, as any farang who has been ruined financially by his emotional entanglement with a Thai can confirm. Also there are well-adjusted farangs who have mutually fulfilling relationships with Thais. Many older Thais are themselves users (in fact the main ones) of the sex industry. But more than a smidgin of truth in the claims. Did anyone really think that Thailand's image is a rosy, wholesome one? :-o

Up2U
September 17th, 2014, 22:48
Probably more truth to the callers comments than any of us like or want to admit. The fact is Thailand has a reputation and sometime the truth is hard to swallow. But, these comments could equally apply to the Philippines and some other SE Asian countries, if that is any consolation.

Surfcrest
September 17th, 2014, 23:00
I think there are many people in Thailand for many different reasons, even here in this forum. The media chooses to sensationalize the stories about those in Thailand for the wrong reasons and a lot of that leads back to what the reader chooses to read. There are stories out there about people in Thailand trying to make a positive difference with their cause of choice, but I'm not sure it gets as much of the spotlight as say Thailand's long standing reputation with prostitution and drugs.

I think this 18 month reprieve from democracy may clean up a bit of what's wrong about what has been going on in Thailand and that "bad reputation" may come out of this not as bad as it was. Not that I'd expect a "night and day" change, but for those of us that have been either coming here for many years or living here for many years may appreciate some of the "cleaning up" we've seen over the years in certain respects and especially as of late.

Surfcrest

latintopxxx
September 18th, 2014, 04:36
surfcrest, be very careful what you wish for. I've been visiting Thailand for 10+ years (yes i know most of you have lived there longer than that) and its been through various phases where one month full on fuck shows are allowed and the next everyone has to been all modest and coy. As for cleaning it up...what do u want...a sanitized version?? might as well pack your bags and bugger off back to the south of spain...soooo boring.

francois
September 18th, 2014, 09:23
The radio presenter then said he had holidayed in Thailand last year with his family and said he тАЬFound something very unsettling about seeing see old foreign men hanging out with young Thai girls, who were clearly prostitutes.тАЭ

Obviously he is a prude or more likely just envious of older gentlemen getting some hot, young action.
Whenever anyone asks me why I go to Thailand I say, " I hope to get lucky and get laid". That sure shuts them up.

September 18th, 2014, 11:14
Come on guys its never the fault of the Thais. Mister P said only yesterday that it was the fault of the young British backpackers themselves that they got murdered in Thailand especially as the woman was attractive and wearing a bikini.

Jellybean
September 18th, 2014, 19:46
Come on guys its never the fault of the Thais. Mister P said only yesterday that it was the fault of the young British backpackers themselves that they got murdered in Thailand especially as the woman was attractive and wearing a bikini.
According to Thai Visa Forum, after hearing about the GeneralтАЩs remarks the British Embassy in Bangkok said it had contacted the Thai foreign ministry raising its "concerns" over his remarks and to ask "for clarification", according to an embassy statement.

And it was broadcast on BBC News at lunchtime today that the General had said, тАЬIтАЩm sorry about the comment about foreigners in bikinis. IтАЩm not judging you. Just want you to be careful.тАЭ

LoveThailand
September 18th, 2014, 23:00
Name one popular vacation destination where commercial sex is not available or even hard to get.
Thailand? perhaps more overt?
One reason perhaps that there is less stigma attached to it among locals.

joe552
September 19th, 2014, 01:42
When someone else starts paying for my holidays, they'll be free to comment on my activities. Until then, ain't nobody's business what I do.

September 19th, 2014, 06:44
When someone else starts paying for my holidays, they'll be free to comment on my activities. Until then, ain't nobody's business what I do.I'm not sure how anyone of your advanced years ends up with so little understanding of human nature.

joe552
September 19th, 2014, 15:11
Are you suggesting I perhaps SHOULD care what others think? People can judge (or misjudge) me all they want - doesn't stop me living my life as I choose to.

latintopxxx
September 19th, 2014, 16:48
if i had to care about what other people think of me i would have to severely curtail my activities....would like going onto a diet of luke warm water and 3 day old supermarket white bread.....
Anyway, most of the moral police are either horribly two faced...or simpkly jealous.

lego
September 20th, 2014, 16:12
I think it's lovely that we have such a colorful bunch of expats here in Thailand, and except for the axe murderers, child molesters and the likes, I'm happy having all of them around. I don't necessarily like all or even most of them, but at least they provide plenty of free entertainment for me (also thanks to the rags published in Pattaya and such places). I wished I could say the same about the boring fucks in my hometown.