PDA

View Full Version : Google translate app

fedssocr
September 7th, 2014, 10:59
So, I know we've discussed the Google translate function for translating written text. But has anyone used the Google translate mobile app to try and carry on a conversation? I know they are updating these things all the time and the current version translates to lots of different languages. Basically you speak into your device (phone, tablet, etc) in English and the voice recognition function will show your English on the screen along with the translation and then the device speaks the other language. Then the other person can speak their language and it will translate back to English. I think it probably works best for short phrases and sentences. But it seems like it might be worth a try if you were in a place where you have no idea how to communicate other than pointing.

You can also use your camera to take a picture of a sign (for example) in the foreign language and it will translate it for you. Unfortunately Thai is not supported yet for that function.

LoveThailand
September 7th, 2014, 14:11
Still a long way to go I guess. Google Translate handles texts with a varying degree of success (also, depending on the source and target languages). That said, would be nice to have Thai added - at least to get some help with signs and such.

christianpfc
September 7th, 2014, 21:37
The voice recognition works very well (even more: I am amazed) for native speakers, but unfortunately with my accents the results are very poor.

On a friend's device, I saw the spoken English to written Thai translation, and I could not have translated it better.

But as soon as you use slang or abbreviations, it utterly fails. A friend asked me to translate a text that contained "vers" (short for "versatile"), his translation app didn't know this word.

LoveThailand
September 7th, 2014, 23:25
My experience with Thai to English text translations have always been less than satisfactory. One can get a general idea but a lot of guess work is required.