PDA

View Full Version : Cambodia beach resorts

Oliver
August 18th, 2014, 17:47
I thought it best to start a new topic; the current one on Cambodia isn't relevant to my enquiry.

I'm hoping to spend a week or so at a beach resort in Cambodia next year. I'll be with my boyfriend so a gay scene is not necessary.
Any ideas? and which airport would be more convenient? I see that Air Asia flies to both.

paulosussex
August 18th, 2014, 20:22
Hi,
The main beach areas are Sihanoukville which has several beaches from quiet to busy and Kep which is quiet and has recently had a lot of sand imported to create a small beach near the crab market.
Sihanoukville has a lot of accommodation from the relatively high end Sokha Beach resort to cheaper hotels and guest houses. Otres beach is the quietest and Serendipity the liveliest. A couple of hours offshore you have the two Rong islands that offer a real desert island experience with just a few bungalow outfits on both. There are some other closer islands with the odd bungalow place on too.
Kep is small and somnambulant with some nice low key accommodation like Veranda resort and several others set on the hill behind the coast. Nice views out to Rabbit island which makes a pleasant day trip.
Phnom Penh airport is closer to the coast and it's a 4-5 hour bus ride or 4 hours in a taxi ($45). If you wanted a couple of days at Siem Reap for the temples then you can fly into there and take an hour flight to Sihanoukville from there with Cambodia Angkor Air.
Cheers

Oliver
August 19th, 2014, 17:34
Thanks.
A couple of days in Phnom Penh , a private taxi to the coast and then a few days in a quiet beach location seems attractive. Air Asia are offering flights at about 4000 bht return and there are plenty of well-priced hotels on Agoda's site.
Any suggestions as to excursions? boat trips? rain forests? mountains?

paulosussex
August 20th, 2014, 00:27
Hi,
Head to the Ream National Park, some nice waterfalls, a lovely beach and some forest. The other day trip you could consider would be to Kampot and Bokor Hill. There is also the Angkor beer factory in Sihanoukville which conducts tours.
Cheers

Oliver
August 20th, 2014, 14:49
Thanks again.

August 23rd, 2014, 09:15
Given your hysteria over the Thai dictatorship, Oliver, and your shrill cries of "I would abandon Thailand were it not for my Thai boyfriend" and "Let's have a tourist boycott of Thailand", I'm somewhat surprised that you're contemplating a visit to Cambodia, given reports of Hun Sen's human rights abuses (http://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambodia/icc-03202014213755.html). Actually that's a lie. It's the sort of self-serving behaviour I fully expect from a committed Leftie.

LoveThailand
August 23rd, 2014, 13:46
I thought the new post in this thread had actually some information related to the OP.