PDA

View Full Version : Niagara Hotel

Blueskytoday
August 9th, 2014, 16:20
Have an acquaintance coming next week to BKK.
He has resv at the Niagara Hotel...asked me if I knew about it..
I do not..I know it is Cheap...
Googled and saw 4 reviews...but 4 yrs old. One said it looked like a prison hehe
Anyone know about this hotel...clean,,,quiet,,etc.
Thanks

Smiles
August 10th, 2014, 00:58
Hi Bluesky.
I've never heard of this hotel being mentioned on Sawatdee before. So I will just add a thought about it's location only, as viewed from the map.

From the looks of the Google Map (zooming in nicely) the Niagara Hotel is quite a good walk from Gay Central. If your friend is not interested in walking then it's a bit of a problem. There is a Skytrain station fairly close (Chong Si) which will get you to Saladaeng station on Silom Rd in a flash . . . but from the map the hotel is in a location where one has to walk to Chong Si in a quite convoluted manner (i.e. it's not just a straightforward foot walk). In Bangkok one might easily get to the station by using back alleys which are often not detailed on the map, but you'd have to ask Thai folks for directions on such an adventure.
Given all that, a taxi ride to Silom would be the best idea.

There are for sure other hotels one could find in the general price range, but which are closer (and less complicated) to the Silom/Surawong gay bars.
The couple of reviews I read give Niagara decent comments, but nothing great: pretty much expected at 800 baht a night.

August 10th, 2014, 04:23
I've had friends who have stayed there. Basic but pleasant. Downstairs are short-time rooms they believe. You can walk through to Chong Nonsi BTS, playing chicken with the motorcycles. The soi has a pack of stray dogs. The area is home to three or four up-market condos ie. over-priced jerry-built rabbit hutches. Sooty has a friend who owns one.