PDA

View Full Version : military imposes poppers regulations

gregvc
August 3rd, 2014, 10:54
In todays Bangkok Post

"Gen Prayuth said the junta has recently approved a Commerce Ministry draft announcement requiring officials to approve all imports of alkyl nitrites"

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/423807/military-claims-success-in-2am-bar-closure-campaign. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. ┬й Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

bucknaway
August 3rd, 2014, 11:07
Well for one thing, this may end guys requesting I bring poppers when I come.

francois
August 3rd, 2014, 11:28
Gen Prayuth said the junta has recently approved a Commerce Ministry draft announcement requiring officials to approve all imports of alkyl nitrites.

Alkyl nitrites are a chemical class used in the recreational drug known as "poppers". Long-term excessive use of the drug can induce anemia, weakening of the immune system and loss of vision.

Same-same as masturbation if one reads old medical journals.

bkkguy
August 3rd, 2014, 19:50
Long-term excessive use of [poppers] can induce ... loss of vision.

turning a blind eye is a not uncommon response by authorities in Thailand and elsewhere, so perhaps popper use is more widespread than generally thought?

I am no supporter of the nanny state with the government limiting our "pleasures" for our own "good" and based on current research on a scale of 1 - 10 the alkyl nitrites, except in a few circumstances, probably rate below alcohol, tobacco and cannabis in terms of overall danger to users and society, but in those few circumstances they can be quite dangerous so it is not surprising that their supply is controlled in many countries, and also not surprising that there is no consistency from country to country, except perhaps in the operation of the blind eye - in many countries amyl nitrite is only available on prescription and the other alkyl nitrites cannot be sold for human consumption so they are widely marketed as room oderisers (even though they smell like sweaty socks)

I am sure 90% of the Thai population and 90% of tourists to Thailand could care less about the street availability of alkyl nitrites here (though the percentage may be somewhat higher in this forum), but I am not sure how gregvc expects us to interpret his posting about this - a warning that poppers may be harder to find here for a while till the normal (turn a blind eye) state of affairs returns, a vilification of the fascist junta for doing what is common in other countries and/or has been done here often before (hi Oliver!), or combined with many of the other reports here a subtle warning that the excesses of the past may actually be a thing of the past (for a while?)?

bkkguy

ozcamo-old
August 13th, 2014, 23:43
I noticed a full page AD in the local Pattaya MAX Magazine selling poppers very publicly. I was very surprised and called the number and a Thai boy answered and said its legal for him to sell just problem for westerner to import but not for Thai. I see people using it openly in Pattaya at Discos and Bars.