PDA

View Full Version : New Baggage Policy on BA London to Bangkok

Dick
June 17th, 2006, 07:59
BA has announced changes to its Baggage Policy effective 5th July. The allowances to/from USA routes remain unchanged. BA Website/Baggage (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagpolicy/public/en_gb)
All passengers irrespective of class, will be allowed 1 piece of hand baggage ~ now no weight limit, but passengers must be able to lift it into the overhead locker unaided, and the luggage must conform to the prescribed size limits. In addition everyone is allowed 1 briefcase, laptop or equivalent, which must fit under the seat in front.

Economy passengers are allowed to check in 1 piece of luggage; enhanced economy, business, and first are allowed to check in two pieces. A checked bag must not exceed 23Kg. Any additional bags above the allowance will be charged a flat fee of ┬г120 (long haul rate), or pay online in advance and get a 20% discount.

So bonus all round... cram you hand baggage with as much as you can lift, but make sure your suitcase(s) do not exceed 23Kg. Enhanced economy upwards benefit from 2 bags @ 23Kg = 46Kg weight allowance, compared with the previous 23Kg for enhanced economy, and 30 Kg for business.

Downside... if your checked bag(s) are over 23 Kg, you will have to take out the excess weight. If you can't cram that excess into your hand baggage, then presumably you would either discard it or face putting it into an additional bag for which the flat excess fee would be applied. And I expect BA will now get tough with those many travellers who hitherto took onboard as hand luggage what would rightfully be construed as a suitcase... now to go in the hold for that excess charge.

I wonder how long before other airlines adopt a similar policy.

June 21st, 2006, 04:47
Dick:

I'm sure you have seen them, but do you think those little suitcases with wheels on them that Ive seen a lot of passengers bring on as hand luggage, fit into the overhead locker.

Dick
June 21st, 2006, 06:11
Yes!
Those that conform to the prescribed maximum size 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) fit best, although doubtless many of us have seen much larger being inconsiderately loaded into the overhead lockers, to the detriment of other passengers. I'm of the opinion all airlines should enforce their own rules in respect of hand baggage sizes.

jimnbkk
June 21st, 2006, 20:46
Slightly off subject, but another board has again brought up the new airport opening, purported to be on 28 September 2006. But, that board goes on to report sinking runways, inappopriate runway paving material, birds within yards of the new runways, the fact (?) that airlines have not yet begun to take steps to set up shop in the new terminals, and on, and on.
Does anybody have any facts about this? Is there any international body that inspects new international airports for safety, etc. before they're allowed to open for international carriers? I'm arriving before 28 Sept, but departing after that date. So, I'm concerned. Especially, since I'm flying Thai Air, which presumably will be pressured by the Government to be among the first carriers to use the new airport.