PDA

View Full Version : Is this a first?

joe552
July 21st, 2014, 18:29
My friend from Laos (after his stint in the police station in Ubon) is now at home and waiting for his new passport. This will cost him 4,500Bt - then he needs to pay for his room in Pattaya (around 3,500Bt). He owes some friend/cousin 10,000Bt for getting him out of the police station. The guy works in an internet shop in Pattaya. I offered to send him some money and he said no. He will take care of it himself, and only ask me if he really needs it.

Is this a first?

Manforallseasons
July 21st, 2014, 18:37
Yes.

Up2U
July 21st, 2014, 18:58
Perhaps you are not the "first" farang, you must move up in the pecking order. ;)

cdnmatt
July 21st, 2014, 19:26
So he hit a checkpoint on his way to the Laos border?

joe552
July 21st, 2014, 19:30
He only told me that he was held at the police station in Ubon for 4 days - don't know where he was actually stopped.

And to move up the pecking order would surely cost more? I'm happy where I am :)

cdnmatt
July 21st, 2014, 20:48
10,000 baht though. That's not too bad for a bribe to not get hauled to the IDC in Bangkok, and brought up before a judge.

Tell him he's lucky he's not white, or else it would have probably been 100,000 baht. :)

joe552
July 21st, 2014, 21:24
He had to pay 20,000Bt - he only had 10,000 on him so had to borrow from a friend/cousin. Yes, it could have been worse, but I'm still not convinced that he'll get back into Thailand next week. And if he does, what will happen when he needs to renew his visa? Time will tell.

arsenal
July 21st, 2014, 22:15
Joe. The part of you post that stood out to me was the

"he'll only ask me if he really needs it.."

Funny, but something tells me he somehow will. Or am I a total cynic.

bobsaigon2
July 21st, 2014, 23:17
During the past 15 years, no one in Thailand has ever declined my offer of financial assistance. The Lao guy is either quite unique or, as Arsenal said, biding his time before asking for help.

Once met a Filipino on GR. He seemed to need money for something, I offered it, he refused.

These bona fide "refusers" are probably one in a million - or one in twenty million.

joe552
July 22nd, 2014, 00:42
Oh, I don't doubt that a request for help will come eventually. What struck me was the initial refusal - he could easily have said yes and I'd have sent him some money. I thought it was unusual enough to comment on. I don't know if it's to do with his personal history, or ethics, or whatever, but I've never met a guy before who refused money.

christianpfc
July 22nd, 2014, 14:34
That's indeed highly unusual.

I have a friend in Koh Si Chang, when I first visited him, I put a 1000 THB note in an envelope and wanted to give it to him when I left (after 2 night / 3 days), he asked what's in there, I hold it against the sun so he could see, he refused to take it.

We have met about 10 times since then, only one request for money online (I don't transfer money online to boys), and one in person (I gave him the 1000 Baht he asked for). I pay for all food and transport, that's it.

egel
July 27th, 2014, 08:25
"he'll only ask me if he really needs it.."

Funny, but something tells me he somehow will. Or am I a total cynic.

Give it time.....

fountainhall
July 27th, 2014, 10:22
On the subject of not wanting cash - although on a slight tangent - I had a lovely local guide for 2 days in Hanoi and we had a great time. He was recommended by friends who had visited Hanoi a few months earlier. He was not just informative, but funny - and gay (although sadly only interested in younger Japanese guys). Fee had never been discussed and so when we parted at the end of the second day, I gave him a small envelope with a card and about $75 (as recommended by my friends). My flight the following evening was not till 7:30pm and so I did some more sightseeing before returning to the hotel to get my bag. He was sitting in the lobby. He said he wanted to give me a small souvenir of Hanoi and asked me not to open it till I was in the taxi to the airport. When I did, there was a note saying he had enjoyed meeting me and regarded me as a friend - and $75!

joe552
July 27th, 2014, 13:59
Nice story, fountainhall, and one in the eye for the cynics amongst us.