View Full Version : f*cked up forum navigation and categories

netrix
July 21st, 2014, 10:54
the navigation bar at the top is now inaccurate. and fyi, a thread about bali or cambodia is not the same thing as a thread about rio de jenero or las vegas.

Surfcrest
July 21st, 2014, 13:55
The navigation controls take a "code" adjustment to the software. I've requested elephantspike return when he can to fix this for us....please stand by! The red center tabs still work fine. Other members requested that we simplify the Forum listings and so "Board Business" was melted into Sawatdee Gay Thailand and Gay South East Asia merged with the former Global Forum to create Sawatdee World. Additionally, Open Discussion was renamed Everything Else and the Holding Room renamed back to being the Flaming Room.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Surfcrest

July 21st, 2014, 15:31
The navigation controls take a "code" adjustment to the software. I've requested elephantspike return when he can to fix this for us....please stand by! The red center tabs still work fine. Other members requested that we simplify the Forum listings and so "Board Business" was melted into Sawatdee Gay Thailand and Gay South East Asia merged with the former Global Forum to create Sawatdee World. Additionally, Open Discussion was renamed Everything Else and the Holding Room renamed back to being the Flaming Room.Meanwhile the hypocrisy of the Gay Romeo Forum continues.

netrix
July 21st, 2014, 21:04
you know there are coders on this forum. and everywhere else.
for future reference you should probably figure out how to navigate to a new category before you create it and move all of your content without a way to even get to it. *rolls eyes*

ALSO
for the gazillionth time, there are fucking LIKE buttons you can add to any php bb forum, i've offered to install multiple times.
and while i'm ranting...
having rotating images for member profiles - and allowing all/any member to have the same idiotic rotating images is beyond absurd. it defeats the purpose of having an image at all. you might as well rotate usernames.
you should have ONE AND ONLY ONE user image for everyone who does not upload their own, or assign a unique one to each lazy ass member who can't be bothered.

I've emailed offers of help and suggestions many times over the last decade. all ignored. so go ahead and have your s├йance or whatever you think it's going to take to FIX THE NAVIGATION.

Some ppl shouldn't be allowed to own a forum.

Surfcrest
July 22nd, 2014, 00:13
Thanks for your suggestions Netrix. I, for one, don't even use the navigation tabs at the top. I use the unread posts tab on the front page to go through what has been posted since I was online last, I use the Board Index tabs to take me to all the Forums and I use the red tabs just over User Control Panel to take me to the sub Forums. There are so many different ways to get to the same content. As I said, as soon as our Chief Engineer is back with us, I'll have the top navigation tabs adjusted to agree with the new Forum line-up.

As for your opinion that "some people shouldn't be allowed to own a forum", I own this forum because someone had to take it out of Neal's hands or it wouldn't even be here today. I pay the bills and look after it, until it passes to someone else. Perhaps I was the wrong person to buy it, but I don't recall you or anyone else stepping up to resolve the situation at the time either. Regardless of that, we are no longer blocked in Thailand, the site runs a lot faster and the membership is a lot healthier than it was a year or two before. No, we don't have a "Like" button yet and hopefully we'll have that resolved too.

I've only owned this Board for a little over a year and so I can't comment on what suggestions you've emailed over the last decade. Perhaps Smiles and elephantspike can, seeing as they were the owners for most of that decade and they are both still here. I don't recall any emails from you, sorry if I'm wrong.

Lastly, as for Avatars...that's a member's choice. I'd be more than happy to help any member re-size a photo or flashy "gif" to Avatar size so they can attach it to their profile. I believe I mentioned this in the past already, but the offer is out there.

http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/post284173.html?hilit=avatar#p284173

I hope this answers your concerns!

Surfcrest

LoveThailand
July 22nd, 2014, 01:51
I'd appreciate a "like" button too.

lego
July 22nd, 2014, 02:58
Some ppl shouldn't be allowed to own a forum.
Well as long as people who don't even pay for a service are allowed to criticize it... ;)

Smiles
July 22nd, 2014, 04:40
" ... I've only owned this Board for a little over a year and so I can't comment on what suggestions you've emailed over the last decade. Perhaps Smiles and elephantspike can, seeing as they were the owners for most of that decade and they are both still here ... "
Just for the record: (and in anticipation of being labeled a 'troll' :-s ) I'm afraid I cannot recall any PM's by Netrix to myself regarding how the Board operates, or suggestions for changing or modifying any board 'technicalities'.
This is not by any means saying that he never sent me any such PM's . . . but just that I cannot remember. Obviously I cannot speak for Elephantspike.
My ownership and moderation of Sawatdee was in the early 2000's (vaguely from 2001 to 2005), so that's very long time to expect me to remember anyone's specific PM's: Smiles suffering from early-onset senility and low level alcoholism even back then (not uncommon to all of Sawatdee owners I should add).

Having said that ... Netrix has been hanging around Sawatdee for a very long time and I've always appreciated his general loyalty and value to the board. Especially the Sex Tapes.

christianpfc
July 22nd, 2014, 14:21
Like button would be nice. Assigning each user a different avatar (uploaded by user or assigned automatically) would be nice. I dislike animated avatars, find it annoying (and with scrolling, I can't even put a post-it on the avatar!).

Smiles
July 24th, 2014, 05:27
Like button would be nice.
I don't get 'like' buttons at all. Who cares who likes you or your posts - or dislikes - on an anonymous message board?
Folks say their piece(s) and move on .... approval tick-off boxes not needed.
In 'real life' there are a small number of friends who's opinions on my opinions I would probably sit down and ponder at length should they take me to task.
I'm reasonably sure that general philosophy would be shared by most. (Perhaps not, but who cares?)

July 24th, 2014, 09:41
Sadly smiles there are some needy people - almost the entire population under 25 according to a recent report on PBS - who live and die by the number of "Likes" they get on Faecesbook and re-tweets on Twitter from complete strangers. On this Forum I would count the number of "Dislikes" as a badge of honour.

I must add that "Faecesbook" is deliberate and not Apple issuing auto-correct

LoveThailand
July 24th, 2014, 16:59
About "like" button again. Every now and then I come across a post here that I like. So - a "like" button will serve the purpose of letting the poster know his contribution is appreciated instead of making a "thank you" post.
If someone posts without the purpose of informing/entertaining/conversing with others here, I'd guess they will be interested to know about reactions.
If not - they as well can be writing in their private diaries.

netrix
July 26th, 2014, 00:03
Like button would be nice.
I don't get 'like' buttons at all. ...
In 'real life' there are a small number of friends who's opinions on my opinions I would probably sit down and ponder at length should they take me to task.
I'm reasonably sure that general philosophy would be shared by most. (Perhaps not, but who cares?)

Smiles, I'm reasonably sure that your opinion is not shared by most. And, if true, then 'most' care, that's who.
I am one of many who have requested a like button on the forum. A google search for "like button phpbb" returns
more than 1 million results, so there are obviously many who disagree with you. My guess is you don't use Facebook
or similar platforms. That's perfectly fine, but most people do. Yes most. More than half of all the people on the
planet use facebook and are used to a single click to give a nod to an idea or comment they like. It's not about
kissing the ass of the poster, its about saving the time of copying and pasting what you agree with and wasting the
time to type out a post that says "good point, Smiles" or "nice post." It's a free and easy thing. I've offered multiple
times to do the installation. I don't care who likes my posts, but it would be nice to be able to show support or a
digital high-five to someone's comments I like -- hence then name. It's a damn like button, no need to wad your panties
if you personally "don't get it at all."

netrix
July 26th, 2014, 04:25
actually, i was wrong. there are only 1.32 billion people actively using facebook.
but as of January 2014, 74% of online adults in the USA use facebook, and 73%
of all adults in the USA are online. so if you're reading this, you're probably in
a similar category for your country. nearly 3/4 of adults who visit forums like
this one use facebook and other social sites where "liking" commenting and
sharing are a way of life. forums are obsolete and only made modern with
integration of social tools.

July 26th, 2014, 06:38
actually, i was wrong. there are only 1.32 billion people actively using facebook. but as of January 2014, 74% of online adults in the USA use facebook, and 73%
of all adults in the USA are online. so if you're reading this, you're probably in a similar category for your country. nearly 3/4 of adults who visit forums like this one use facebook and other social sites where "liking" commenting and sharing are a way of life. forums are obsolete and only made modern with integration of social tools.I told you, Smiles - needy.

July 26th, 2014, 11:45
As the Tweeter GS Elevator Gossip has just posted "I don't post on Facebook. It's more important for me to have a great life than it is for people to think I have one." GS Elevator Gossip (GS stands for Goldman Sachs) has recently been revealed as someone who (a) doesn't work for Goldman Sachs (and never has) and (b) doesn't live in New York. An internet troll some might say!

giggsy
July 28th, 2014, 01:17
If we are to have a like button then it will obviously turn into a competition to see who can be the most liked. Some posters are more needy then others and will take offence when their post aren't liked as much.
Being a poster that is "just here for fun" perhaps we could take it further and have a Dislike button, I can see Cat getting a lot of use out of that. But why stop there what about a,,
Hate button
Applaud button
Incite rebellion button
Now that's funny button
Accuse of racism button
Express doubt button
Thumbs up button (for the perverts)
Oops I pressed the wrong button button
Troll button
Newby button (these 2 buttons count as the same for Smiles)
Boring button
WTF button
The list is endless
[attachment=0:stdp482y]untitled.png[/attachment:stdp482y]

LoveThailand
July 28th, 2014, 18:17
Yes. Thank god for "ignore" option though.

Jellybean
July 28th, 2014, 23:20
Surely I cannot be the only member who didnтАЩt know the meaning of тАШMehтАЩ and had to look it up on Wikipedia? Honestly, IтАЩve never heard it before or seen it in print before giggsy posted it above.

For those who still don't know its meaning, it apparently it means: an interjection used as an expression of indifference or boredom. It may also mean "be it as it may". It is often regarded as a verbal shrug of the shoulders. The use of the term "meh" shows that the speaker is apathetic, uninterested, or indifferent to the question or subject at hand. It is occasionally used as an adjective, meaning something is mediocre or unremarkable.

This forumтАЩs an education тАж ainтАЩt it? :-B

joe552
July 29th, 2014, 04:50
I always associated it with Yiddish - could be wildly mistaken on that. Isn't there an occasional poster of the Jewish persuasion who could confirm or deny that?

giggsy
July 29th, 2014, 06:30
Wow Jellybean I'm jealous. You have obviously never watched the Simpsons. I would love to start watching them over and over again from the beginning.

[youtube:d0zy10mu]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i43Ie9inE6E[/youtube:d0zy10mu]