PDA

View Full Version : Gay marriage

joe552
July 14th, 2014, 04:24
Next year in Ireland there will be a referendum to allow for same sex marriage (or not). I'd be interested to hear from members who've been through some sort of legal process - maybe civil partnership (which is already available here in Ireland) and what difference you think "marriage" would actually make to your life with your partner.

For the record, I've been single far too long and don't see any prospect of marriage on my horizon - but I'm interested to hear how others think about it. For instance, I know many members have Thai boyfriends longterm - do you have a legal "marriage" or if not, would you want one?

Just trying to start a general chat, guys

scottish-guy
July 14th, 2014, 05:52
No "experience" - but I would happily tie the knot with my BF.

Unfortunately that's impossible in either of our countries at present (he can't enter mine (!) and it's illegal in his) - although Fountainhall made an interesting post recently to the effect that UK subjects (not citizens - just making the point!) have the prospect of being able to do so in any British embassy in any country, starting in a few months. So, never say never.

Marsilius
July 17th, 2014, 03:20
My partner of 27 years and I entered a UK Civil Partnership in 2006, shortly after the new status was introduced.

The weird thing was that earlier this year, 2014, when gay marriage was introduced into the UK, priority was given to those entering marriage from scratch. We trailblazers of Civil Partnerships went to the back of the queue and will not be able to marry until 10 December at the earliest. The only bright spot is that our marriage - which can be as basic as signing a piece of paper to convert the Civil Partnership or as elaborate as you'd like - will then be backdated to the date of the CP in 2006.

Why did we do it? Initially for all the legal protections offered by regularising our relationship in the eyes if the state (next of kin status, etc.) but it also gives a warm comforting feeling to know that someone loves you enough to make that formal commitment.

July 17th, 2014, 06:03
What you're saying Marsillius is that the commitment of marriage is even greater than that of a Civil Partnership? Wow!

In countries that have gone further and removed any formal commitment to recognition of the relationship such as next of kin eg. NZ, Australua what would the point of such a marriage be?

July 19th, 2014, 05:22
I'm all in favour of gay marriage for some members of the Forum. After all, marriage is that lifelong commitment to fidelity and monogamy. No more chasing Thai boys on the side. All the more for me. Yum yum.