PDA

View Full Version : Bakery refuses to make gay wedding cake

joe552
July 9th, 2014, 15:20
A bakery in Northern Ireland is under fire for refusing to make a cake for a "gay wedding" featuring Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street. The Christian owners are unapologetic, but may face court action for breaching equality laws (although gay marriage is not available in Northern Ireland.)

What are your thoughts?

(sorry, I don't know how to attach links to news sites - but it's been covered by RTE in Ireland)

joe552
July 9th, 2014, 18:25
Thanks to Surfcrest for instructions on how to copy links - this is to a columnist in the Irish Independent newspaper (I hope)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/colum ... 16090.html (http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/ian-odoherty/equalitys-a-twoway-street-not-a-box-of-chocolates-30416090.html)

Smiles
July 9th, 2014, 21:55
Any couple asking for Bert&Earnie figurines stuck on a wedding cake deserve outright rejection: either for High Tackarama or for complete lack of imagination. Though both go hand in hand I suppose.

joe552
July 9th, 2014, 22:16
Haha. So it's ok for us gays to discriminate on grounds of taste, but not for Christians on the basis of their religious beliefs? There was even a question asked in the Westminster parliament about this case. While David Cameron's answer was woolly he didn't agree that a "conscience clause" should be introduced into equality laws.

lego
July 9th, 2014, 22:38
I think the owner of a business such as a bakery should have the freedom to say "no" to whatever customized order they don't want to fulfill, with no reason or explanation given. If they choose to give an explanation and that explanation amounts to an insult or discrimination, however, I've got no problem with holding them responsible if that's against the law.

July 12th, 2014, 14:54
There to be commended for sticking up for the rights of all of us who done belief in "gay marriage"

christianpfc
July 12th, 2014, 23:49
Haha. So it's ok for us gays to discriminate on grounds of taste, but not for Christians on the basis of their religious beliefs?

Who discriminates on grounds of taste?

A business should have the right to refuse customers due to previous unacceptable behavior, being under influence of alcohol and the like, but not due to sexual orientation, ethnicity or gender. (And what about woman in gay bars? Fine with me, as long as they behave and don't snatch cute boys. And women in gay saunas? I don't know.)

I would fine them 5000 Euro and the money would go to "Gay Pride Northern Ireland".

In my system of values, equal rights (gender, sexual orientation, race), animal protection, ... actually everything I can think of comes before the right to exercise your religion.

joe552
July 13th, 2014, 01:08
Haha. So it's ok for us gays to discriminate on grounds of taste, but not for Christians on the basis of their religious beliefs?

Who discriminates on grounds of taste?

Smiles would, apparently