PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide Newspapers on-line: Bangkok Post $9.95 month...

travelerjim
June 16th, 2006, 15:17
Hello Sawatdee Friends,

Recently as I was viewing the online edition of Bangkok Post I saw a side-bar advertising a new on-line worldwide newspaper service. The on-line free edition does not contain all the newspaper stories published that day - only select articles.

As I do like to read many newspapers daily, if they are available, I clicked on the ad and was invited to try the service for 7 days free with NO credit card provided up front...Simple enough - no risk - just a 7 days free access to any of the newspapers worldwide offered.

I have been using 6 of my 7 days free subscription and I must say I am impressed! I have read the Bangkok Post each day - even before it is on the newsstands...which here in Thailand is almost 8:00am or much later in many areas.

Also I have read the USA Today and Herald Tribune newspapers for free. Many more papers are offerred.

Today I have been offered by e-mail a 30% discount if I subscribe to the service. The normal base cost is $9.95 monthly to access 31 editions of any of the newspapers you have chosen. That alone is cheaper than buying the Bangkok Post at 25 baht daily for a month. I can choose which papers I want to read....they are delivered and accessed on line. By using the provided Press Webviewer I can see the exact newspaper pages as one would read if the paper was in your hands. Back issues for several days are also available to read.

I like the idea and will subscribe to it and try it for another month and possibly more. Good value and I can access the newspapers from whereever I am...in Thailand or USA or anywhere I can access the internet. I can read Bangkok Post some days and others other days...up to me.

I think this may be a good way for many who enjoy Thailand keep abreast of the happenings from your computer worldwide.

Each day I get an e-mail message when a new edition is available to read of the newspapers I have chosen. I can choose to download the newspaper and read it off-line (an idea for road warriors) or just access the newspaper on-line from my computer.

The newspaper on-line edition is easy to read and can magnify any section of the page to see details easily.

I suggest you try it...it may be of your liking...and again there is a free 7 day trial use...no obligation and no credit card given for the free trial.

PressDisplay.com . is the name of the newspaper on-line service:

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx .

TravelerJim
For Affordable International Health & Travel Insurance
Please visit www.tjinsurance.com (http://www.tjinsurance.com) .

Smiles
June 16th, 2006, 19:39
Thank you TravelerJim for the news of this. But frankly the thought of reading an entire newspaper on a computer makes me ~ as Boygeenyus might say ~ want to shat bricks.

There is almost nothing on this earth which could stop me from my one-hour morning ritual of hot coffee, an all-berry scone, and The Globe (or Bangkok Post, or The Nation or the bloody New York Times or some such like in some dark corner of some almost-empty funky little cafe in Vernon, Vancouver, Bangkok, or Hua Hin ( for which I have hunted down for months, and to which I am totally loyal . . . and one further criteria would be that loudmouth know-it-alls like Hedda and Homintern or Edith have not yet discovered it and insist on sitting down with me ~ uninvited!! ~ and telling me everything In-The-News that they think I should know ).

The beloved can stay home in bed and chuk wow as far as I'm concerned, for this small pilgramage down the Soi will never be changed by something as ephemeral as an incredibly handsome, sexy, and "standing up" Thai man next to me in the sack: And certainly not just because I can easily turn on the 'puter and read any damn newspaper I want.

But that's me ... and cheers

travelerjim
June 16th, 2006, 21:35
Hi Smiles,

I agree with you 100% ...when you say:

"There is almost nothing on this earth which could stop me from my one-hour morning ritual of hot coffee, an all-berry scone, and The Globe (or Bangkok Post, or The Nation or the bloody New York Times or some such like in some dark corner of some almost-empty funky little cafe in Vernon, Vancouver, Bangkok, or Hua Hin..."

But for me there are times the Bangkok Post is not readily available ...such as when I am not in Thailand...in my hometown in the USA or on the beach in Mexico...or streets of Paris....or as now - where I am located in a Condo development adjacent to Sripatum University in Chonburi. Not a Bangkok Post or Nation to be found - even at two 7-11's nearby!

I have been invited to use the university library as a guest whenever I wish...but as you have said, I really enjoy my morning coffee and breakfast with the newspaper in hand. I have considered subscribing to Bangkok Post and or Nation here in Chonburi, but then again I am not here most of time ...yet!

Using the internet to access the newspaper is new to me...and it will get some time to accept the newness of it...but already I appreciate having access daily if I choose.

Just an idea of how the internet is bringing to the reader so many choices of newspapers from around the world...at affordable rates.

TravelerJim

June 16th, 2006, 22:32
Call me cheap, but why pay? The below link lists newspapers all over the world.

http://www.kidon.com/media-link/index.php

travelerjim
June 16th, 2006, 22:51
Thanks Sanyo for the link...it will be useful in surfing the internet for access to media worldwide.

However, there is a difference - both in the content and the display of the newspapers you may select to view or read over the internet.

The free BangkokPost.com issue is an abbreviated summary of stories of the day...
Whereas, the Press Display website actually displays the full newspaper published each day...for example -
Today's edition of the Bangkok Post as isssued via Press Display was 54 pages.
What you see is the actual page to page layout of the Bangkok Post.

I have used the on-line websites of many papers in the past, but find the new availability of the actual newspaper published in the full page format to be appealing to me...it is almost like having the newspaper in your hands.

TravelerJim

June 20th, 2006, 00:21
Today's edition of the Bangkok Post as isssued via Press Display was 54 pages.Yeah, but NO SUNDAY COMICS??? What's up with that? :-)

Thanks for the info, TJ. I've been enjoying my 7-day free trial and will probably go for the paid subscription.

BenCH
June 20th, 2006, 04:08
I have been subscribing to BKK Post on-line via PressDisplay.com for two months now and am extremely happy about this possibility. It is great to get the real thing including photos, even though it is certainly somewhat less attractive on screen than on paper. But what better alternative is available here in Farangland? (I also enjoy reading my local newspaper during breakfast and would not like to miss it - but that's something different!) Before I was using BKK Post's website sanyo provided the link for but it is not the same as there are only a few selected articles available. Up to you to make use of this offer to read a facsimile version of a Thai newspaper in excellent quality or ignore it! Maybe you check out their website before you jump to conclusions. BTW, with a subscription for $ 9.95 you have access to 30 issues of a large number of papers from all over the world including but not limited to the following papers from Canada:

Calgary Herald
Edmonton Journal
Globe and Mail
Globe and Mail Weekend
Leader-Post, Regina
National Post
Ottawa Citizen
The Gazette, Montreal
The Province
The StarPhoenix, Saskatoon
The Sunday Province
Times-Colonist, Victoria
Toronto Star
Vancouver Sun
Windsor Star

The 'bloody' New York Times are not available, however!

June 23rd, 2006, 19:37
I just noticed today that they have added The Nation, too.

FYI, the US$9.95 is for viewing 31 papers per month. If you want to read both the Bangkok Post AND The Nation, you'd need to buy the plan that permits 62 papers per month, which I *think* was US$19.90. I didn't really pay close attention to the other options when I signed up since I knew 31 per month would be enough. (That was before they added The Nation...)

June 25th, 2006, 18:01
Well, last Sunday (when I was on the free 1-week trial) I bemoaned the lack of the BKK Post Sunday comics. This week, the entire newspaper is missing. The Nation was already availabile online by 0800 when I first logged on. Now at 1800, the BKK post is still not available.

I hope they didn't *replace* the BKK Post with The Nation when they introduced The Nation this past week. My condo gets The Nation and I go downstairs for some early morning fresh air to read it by the pool, for free....