PDA

View Full Version : new prices

aot871
July 2nd, 2014, 19:48
I have been told that there has been a price increase for drinks at the caf├й royale, with drinks starting at 180bht. This is from 7pm with no show until 10pm. In this the low season do you think , they will get many punters, that early willing to pay these prices ?

bucknaway
July 2nd, 2014, 20:04
On my last trip I skipped going there because I consider it a drag bar with Gogo guys. I like seeing shows but I don't come to Thailand to look at drag queens.

scottish-guy
July 2nd, 2014, 20:19
Le Cafe Royale? A drag bar?

Times must have changed - the only drag acts I remember appearing @ LCR were for Charity events.

:-o :-o

As for the new prices - maybe better to sit at Panorama and take advantage of their position in the Soi and their lower prices

aot871
July 2nd, 2014, 20:32
Yes Scottish Guy, the caf├й now has a lady boy show , the same as the new mangers other bar just down the soi , CASTRO

corky
July 2nd, 2014, 21:24
I have been told that there has been a price increase for drinks at the caf├й royale, with drinks starting at 180bht. This is from 7pm ...

Another reason for me not to bother going to Pattaya.
180 Baht for a drink - It's extortionate. I'll stick with the 75 Baht G&T's in Silom Soi 4

joe552
July 2nd, 2014, 22:31
Lots of places in Pattaya which don't charge those sort of prices. I was drinking glasses of half-decent red wine for around 80Bt on my recent trip

scottish-guy
July 3rd, 2014, 00:55
... I was drinking glasses of half-decent red wine for around 80Bt on my recent
trip

Joe, maybe if you splurged to 100B you could get fully-decent stuff? Just saying like. :))

joe552
July 3rd, 2014, 04:25
I may not be Scottish by birth, but I think I am by nature, so half-decent is good enough for me :ymdevil:

egel
July 3rd, 2014, 15:54
As for the new prices - maybe better to sit at Panorama and take advantage of their position in the Soi and their lower prices

Phooooa...Scotty....when were you last there?
Now 145 bt for a bottle of Singha...145 no less..THE most expensive outdoor bar in Boyztown BY FAR

lego
July 3rd, 2014, 20:21
I very much doubt that any 80 baht wine can be good, or even half decent. That's one of my very few grievances here in Thailand, the price of DECENT wine.

joe552
July 3rd, 2014, 20:32
The wine I was served at both All of Me and Forest House were ok for me. But I ain't no connoisseur.

francois
July 3rd, 2014, 21:00
The wine I was served at both All of Me and Forest House were ok for me. But I ain't no connoisseur.

"Thou sayest it.' (Jesus to Pilate)

Even Jesus would turn that plonk back into water! Just about all the wine served at beer bars is that swill labeled Mont Clair.
For some reason the wine at Diamond (next to All of Me) seems better, maybe because they serve it in a nice glass, more of it, and 10 Baht less?.

As others observed there is no decent wine in Thailand unless one wants to pay a premium. Although a few restaurants pour from a bottle, usually Italian wine which is semi-decent.

DonMuang-old
July 3rd, 2014, 21:26
Was sitting outside cafe royale after the show finished and was charged 100B for a bottle of soda. I was the only one sitting there, now I know why....

joe552
July 3rd, 2014, 22:18
C'mon, I'm Irish - what do I know about wine? Now if you want an expert opinion of Guinness, I'll be happy to provide it :)

newalaan2
July 3rd, 2014, 23:34
I have been told that there has been a price increase for drinks at the caf├й royale, with drinks starting at 180bht. This is from 7pm with no show until 10pm. In this the low season do you think , they will get many punters, that early willing to pay these prices ?

Was sitting outside cafe royale after the show finished and was charged 100B for a bottle of soda. I was the only one sitting there, now I know why....
In another thread on Pattaya I posted that I noted at showtime Le Caf├й was busy on the particular night I passed. A few nights later like DonMuang I stopped in by for a drink late-on after the show, had a vodka/Coke and was a little surprised to find it priced at Bt190 for a terrace/semi-outdoor bar. There were a few other folks inside but 'entertainment' at that hour was merely 'karaoke on stage'. Given that Ambiance and Copa terraces are both in the Bt180-Bt200 range for standard drinks I assume they are just 'non-competing' on price issues. On holiday it's almost a non-issue with only a slight principal factor hanging around.

what do I know about wine?
But what do any of these wine snobs actually know about the stuff either? It's simple, if it tastes ok then that is all one needs to know. I've had a few glasses of red wine during my current visit to Pattaya at various places and most have been perfectly acceptable to me, with none being so awful they were undrinkable. Serving Red chilled, as one or two do, seems odd though.

maybe because they serve it in a nice glass, more of it, and 10 Baht less?.
Or maybe because by the 6th glass, enough 'swill' has been consumed to offer an improved wine appreciation experience.

lukylok
July 4th, 2014, 01:05
What can you expect in Thailand in wines ? I was shopping in Big C in Chiang Mai three months ago, to introduce mashed strawberries in red wine to my friends.
For 700 bahts I bought a C├┤te de Blaye which was awful.
As for Monclair, I'd rather drink water ! It is anything but wine.

joe552
July 4th, 2014, 04:38
Why would you put mashed strawberries with red wine? I wouldn't try it.

lukylok
July 4th, 2014, 10:14
Well you should try, but you need to have good strawberries. Thai strawberries usually are ripe, but lack taste. Anyway, it's just a dessert and you don't want a grand vin.

Daniel-old
July 4th, 2014, 20:49
Given that Ambiance and Copa terraces are both in the Bt180-Bt200 range for standard drinks I assume they are just 'non-competing' on price issues.

Last month, I was charged 200 baht for a Heineken inside the Copa and 140 baht on their terrace. I was charged 220 baht for a Heineken inside Boyz Boyz Boyz and 140 baht on their terrace. I had not noticed this dual pricing on previous visits, so presumed that Boyz Boyz Boyz and Copa had made a conscious decision to offer more competitive prices on their terraces.

Having paid 260 baht for my Heineken in X-Boys in Soi 1, it actually felt that show bar prices in Copa and BBB were quite a bargain.

Panorama ... Now 145 bt for a bottle of Singha...145 no less..THE most expensive outdoor bar in Boyztown BY FAR

I was charged 145 baht for my Heineken at Panorama. However, June was particularly hot and I was happy to pay the additional five baht for the air-conditioning at the back of the bar. I had thought that a Panorama Life Membership card was rather like a hole in your arse ... everybody had one! It appeared that most customers were enjoying a 10% discount when settling their check bin.

I have been told that there has been a price increase for drinks at the caf├й royale, with drinks starting at 180bht.

Since the 'New Caf├й Royal' has been under new management and offered 'entertainment' all evening, I have been charged 180 baht for my Heineken. As the 'entertainment' can be enjoyed from their terrace, they have decided not to have dual pricing. I believe this will be to the detriment of their terrace trade.

There are many terrace bars in Sunnee Plaza that are cheaper than the terrace bars in Boyz Town. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

joe552
July 4th, 2014, 20:58
I tend to spend most of my time in Sunee. Not just because it's cheaper, but it's easier to stagger back to my loom at Mosaik

Daniel-old
July 4th, 2014, 21:07
I know where you're coming from Joe; I spent most of June at the Mosaik. It's not great staggering back from Boyz Town to Soi Day Night after a few drinks, but that's a good excuse to hold on really tight to a motorbike taxi driver.

frequentfliers
July 4th, 2014, 21:53
we were charged 800bht for 4 bottles of coke at x-boys recently..never again.

andrewcraig
July 5th, 2014, 13:07
Thats terrible . You should have got the better deal and paid 200 baht each in a show bar. $6.50 for a show and a drink

firecat69
July 5th, 2014, 14:37
Not sure if that is tongue on cheek but I am sure he got a show at Xboys!

newalaan2
July 5th, 2014, 15:01
Last month, I was charged 200 baht for a Heineken inside the Copa and 140 baht on their terrace. I was charged 220 baht for a Heineken inside Boyz Boyz Boyz and 140 baht on their terrace. I had not noticed this dual pricing on previous visits, so presumed that Boyz Boyz Boyz and Copa had made a conscious decision to offer more competitive prices on their terraces.Having paid 260 baht for my Heineken in X-Boys in Soi 1, it actually felt that show bar prices in Copa and BBB were quite a bargain.
Obviously I wasn't aware of the dual pricing on any recent trips either so thanks for the update. When the old regime left BzBzBz, soon after, the new owners of Ambiance did drastically cut the price for terrace drinks outside the Ambiance to encourage a bit of life around the place. I think the new lessees at BzBzBz followed suit at the very start but seem to remember a gradual increase over time. Problem with BzBzBz and Copa terrace is I never sit there alone as I tend to do at beer bars and so if bf is with me he sees to the bill settling and I never think to ask about drink costs. It doesn't bother me to pay Bt200 for a drink in BT when on holiday, but Bt260 for a beer outwith showtime at the likes of XBoys is taking the piss and that along with their previous (current?) policy of only offering Bt50 notes and up with coins hidden in the bill folder change is enough of a reason not to visit on principal.

To be honest I'm not that desperate to visit any of the BT show bars as there is nothing in them of great interest nowadays, especially BzBzBz with repeated shows, begging bar staff, available boys mostly a bunch of straight guys who have far more interest in themselves and female customers than any of the gay male customers. It's fine to meet up with old friends there and a change from other scenes. I rarely spend more than a couple of hours during a BT visit, often much less. Usually it's just the meeting point for an onwards visit to NAB or wherever.

lukylok
July 6th, 2014, 00:40
we were charged 800bht for 4 bottles of coke at x-boys recently..never again.

That recently must be somewhat ancient.
The price of soft drinks at X-Boys is 240 bahts since at least last November .......so that should have been 960 !

All the show bars are very careful to show you a price list when you order. If it's too much, you can leave.

And if it's not a surprise, stop complaining.

Daniel-old
July 6th, 2014, 01:31
All the show bars are very careful to show you a price list when you order. If it's too much, you can leave. And if it's not a surprise, stop complaining.

To be fair, I visited several show bars in Thailand last month and the only one that produced a price list when taking a drinks order was Adam's Apple in Chiang Mai (who charged 260 baht for a Heineken).

However, if the price of a drink is something that might irritate you, there is nothing to stop you asking for a price list before you order.