PDA

View Full Version : Getting casual clothing made in BKK?

bjbjboy
July 1st, 2014, 19:06
Hi guys I did a search and didn't find anything, though that could just be my dimnesss. =P~
I have seen many articles, blogs, etc-- about guys getting dress clothes (suits, shirts) made in BKK, but not many about casual clothes.
I thought it'd be fun to have some dress shorts, athletic shorts, polos, short sleeve button shirts, tank tops, etc made for me this year in BKK. I'll be there 2 weeks at the end of July.
Preferably some places that have some sort of gay stamp of approval! Of course, just buying something vaguely young in Asia will seem a bit gay to the folks where I live in the Upper MIdwest, USA..... B-)
I can imagine Chatuchak will have some options, but it's so huge. Any recommendations?
That said, I have been to Terminal 21 once like 2 years ago-- and enjoyed the "Local Designers section". Should I just walk around there, find things that I like, but have them made into my size/shape? Or would you go to an actual tailor?
I'm not a huge farang size (US Size M in shirts, wasit 32), so may find some nice stuff off the rack, but figure it may not cost much more and would be fun to have some stuff made for me.
If not, I always like Uniqlo --I did spend 6 years in Japan, so I like their take on things, but would prefer to choose my own.
Any ideas/recommendations you have would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Surfcrest
July 2nd, 2014, 00:59
A few years back, we were at Chatuchak weekend market in the clothing Section where some designers have stalls. My partner, found a designer he liked that made young looking "hip" Bangkok clothes...with a body forming cut, interesting fabrics and unique progressive styles. Unfortunately when we went through their racks of clothes and the stock they had at the stall that day, they didn't have his size in the items he liked. So we asked where we could get sizes on these things and they directed us to their shop in the Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets area, a small shop in the base level of the Baiyoke Tower. It took us a while to find the place and we spotted a whole bunch of other places to check out while we were searching. Their "factory" was more of a holding area / shop out front where racks of clothes were being stored, or sold...some new stock some unsold old stock. We found what we wanted, but they offered to make it for us if we couldn't find the size. A few shops in Chatuchak have given me business cards leading me back to the Baiyoke Towers. These are moderately priced clothes, more expensive than off the rack in Bangkok but much cheaper than back home.

For what you mentioned "dress shorts, polos, short sleeve button shirts, etc" the same tailor can make these for you also makes "dress clothes (suits, shirts)". The tailor who makes my dress shirts offered to make me a winter jacket last year. They probably don't do athletic shorts or tank tops, but definitely the rest. I picked up some great "Made in Thailand" tennis shirts for the court that are beautiful and comfortable, although those were not made to order. The good thing about these tailors is that they make what you want in the style you want and the fabrics they have available. You simply need to find the tailor with the quality and price you want that has the fabrics you want. It's always good to find what you want in a catalogue, web site etc and then show them, rather than describe it or worse...going in not knowing what you want.

There are a lot of options in Thailand, this is only the small few that I know, but they make a heck of a lot of stuff in Thailand, probably what it is that you are looking for ...it's just not always easy to find.

Chok dee!

Surfcrest