PDA

View Full Version : Farming in Thailand as an option

morse
June 28th, 2014, 22:46
I know this topic is outside the usual scope of things covered here. That being said I will forge ahead! My bf is from the south of Thailand (near Nakhon Si Thammarat) and we have talked about what to do if I am able to retire to Thailand. He has his BA from a university in Bangkok and I am glad for that. He suggests buying a date palm oil or rubber planting (or land to establish the same). I can invest US 300-500K and still have operating capital and not need income from the operation. (I am interested in building a comfortable home and leaving him with an income producing asset when I am but a memory and a pile of ashes floating down the Mekong.) Does anyone have any experience with such an operation? I am familiar with restrictions on ownership of land by foreigners. I have no idea what realistic land costs and operating costs are. He seems to think a planting of 20-30 rai or less is sufficient for a sustainable operation. I have no interest in personally tapping rubber trees or whacking away at the jungle. I just want to have a quiet cup of tea and listen to "Don Carlo" from the comfort of a screened porch while someone else carries on!

netrix
June 29th, 2014, 02:26
seek legal advice
start small
invest only what you are willing to (and expect to) lose

arsenal
June 29th, 2014, 09:52
I agree with Netrix. Invest only that which you can afford to lose. Remember there are almost certainly vested interests in the palm oil business just as there are in other businesses. They might not take kindly to a foreigner poking his nose into their affairs.

ceejay
June 29th, 2014, 16:13
Thai Visa has an extensive "farming in Thailand" forum which is contributed to by people who have practical experience:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/104 ... and-forum/ (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/104-farming-in-thailand-forum/)
You also need advice, from someone you trust, on which land to buy. An estimate of average financial returns is meaningless. The variation from one plot to the next based on availability of water, proximity to the processing plant where you will sell your crop, to name just two, will be large.
Bear in mind that, if you opt for an unplanted plot and start your own trees, it will be several years before you get any return at all. It will be pure cost at first.
I agree with Netrix and Arsenal: seeing a lawyer is essential. Familiarise yourself with the different types of title document used in Thailand:
http://www.samuiforsale.com/knowledge/t ... deeds.html (http://www.samuiforsale.com/knowledge/thailand-land-title-deeds.html)
Finally, if you do go ahead, try to avoid letting the seller know that a farang is involved. If they find that out, the price will go up.

Smiles
June 29th, 2014, 23:38
" ... if you opt for an unplanted plot and start your own trees, it will be several years before you get any return at all ... "
In the case of rubber trees, it's an average of 7 years before a single baht is hatched. (Source?: the Horse's Mouth)

" ... try to avoid letting the seller know that a farang is involved. If they find that out, the price will go up ... "
Bloody farangs!!

francois
June 30th, 2014, 03:30
My advice don't even think about it! Just another dream/scheme that will come to nothing except you will lose your money. My bf had mentioned this one time and I did some research and realized the difficulties and risks such an undertaking entails.

You can search thaivisa.com for more info on rubber plantations, etc.

lego
June 30th, 2014, 10:36
From what I've seen, I'd say it's a lot of work with little return compared to other investments, unless you really strike it lucky with your particular plot of land. A rule of thumb seems to be: Those who are farmers and can get out, do get out of farming. Good luck.

thaiguest
July 1st, 2014, 06:03
I know this topic is outside the usual scope of things covered here. That being said I will forge ahead! My bf is from the south of Thailand (near Nakhon Si Thammarat) and we have talked about what to do if I am able to retire to Thailand. He has his BA from a university in Bangkok and I am glad for that. He suggests buying a date palm oil or rubber planting (or land to establish the same). I can invest US 300-500K and still have operating capital and not need income from the operation. (I am interested in building a comfortable home and leaving him with an income producing asset when I am but a memory and a pile of ashes floating down the Mekong.) Does anyone have any experience with such an operation? I am familiar with restrictions on ownership of land by foreigners. I have no idea what realistic land costs and operating costs are. He seems to think a planting of 20-30 rai or less is sufficient for a sustainable operation. I have no interest in personally tapping rubber trees or whacking away at the jungle. I just want to have a quiet cup of tea and listen to "Don Carlo" from the comfort of a screened porch while someone else carries on!
I have a number of friends who have invested in farms and other land-based
interprises with their boyfriend/girlfriend. Convenient for the thai partner (and of course the extended clan) that farangs can never and probably WILL never have any control of thai land. Surprising therefore that so many are drawn into a situation of total surrender once the cash is handed over. Better put your money into (AND NAME ON) a few condos which your boyfriend could rent out for his own benefit and which
would pass on to him via a will at your demise. Unless of course he got nasty, in which case you kick him out and tear up the will and wait for the next Mr Right to come along.
But he probably won't because you hold the whip hand so you both will live happily
everafter though perhaps not on a leafy veranda -unless of course you go the crazy
land route whereby he probably will (get nasty) and only one of you will live happily
everafter with a new farang or with that thai 'sister' who keeps staying for weekends.