View Full Version : As rough as silk: TG cuts back on Australia

June 26th, 2014, 10:48
From later this year, Thai Airways is trading in its iconic Boeing 747 for the smaller Boeing 777-300 on selected flights to Sydney, which comes without first class. The shake-up kicks in from October 26 2014, with the three-times-weekly flights TG472/471 being downsized between Sydney and Bangkok it was announced today (http://www.ausbt.com.au/thai-airways-cuts-back-first-class-downsizes-sydney-flights).

Surfcrest
July 9th, 2014, 16:46
The equipment changes you describe may not be directly related to the cut backs in First Class service or frequency between Sydney and Bangkok. I see a lot of the big "successful" carriers following a strategy of using a more fuel efficient 777 / 767's or A330 fleet and toggling the frequency of service by demand where they used to use the 747. I'm guessing that in addition to improved fuel economy, they are also able to get the new fleet in and out of the gates faster than the 747, where they'd be up in the air making money...instead of being on the ground and costing them money.

Surfcrest

fountainhall
July 9th, 2014, 19:37
Many airlines are definitely withdrawing the 4-engine 747-400s from a lot of long haul routes. Cathay Pacific is just one of the the airlines concentrating on the 777 for its long haul fleet. I think Lufthansa is one of the few airlines buying the latest version of the 747 - the 800 series with the longer upper deck. Boeing has already scaled back its production since it is just not attracting sales. The two versions of the more fuel efficient 777X are likely to see the end of the 747 once they come into service in 2020. Just today Emirates confirmed its order for 150 of the new 777Xs.

I wonder if another reason for TG downsizing aircraft and reducing capacity is the Qantas tie-up with Emirates. Those travelling between Europe and SYD who in the past would have changed planes in BKK may now be going via Dubai instead. Emirates now has two A380 daily non-stops and Qantas one A380 between DXB and SYD.

July 13th, 2014, 19:11
Given how much Thais worry about "face" you have to assume that only have one flight a day with First Class and not two means fewer self-important Thais are going to Oz.

fountainhall
July 16th, 2014, 00:05
You may be right, BrisbaneGuy! A month ago, the military government axed the right of THAI's board members to their generous allocation of 10 free premium cabin tickets on international flights per annum.