PDA

View Full Version : Fish and chips!

June 16th, 2006, 12:07
Curious to see why there is so much fuss about Niddy's Nook, I called in there for a snack during my recent 'exploration' of Day-Night.
Craving some good old fashioned English grub for a change, I was delighted to find they don't just do burgers - they do Fish and Chips too!
It was delicious.
In fact, I can feel that craving coming on again...
got to go! :)

June 16th, 2006, 12:18
A yank doing fish n chip? Why, of course!

American Teacher-old
June 16th, 2006, 14:11
Thanks Iwan for taking the time to share. Indeed, Niddy has his own special recipe for the fish's batter -- and many Brits have been impressed with the taste and texture!

Stop on by and see for yourself!

Cheers!
-Chris

www.niddynook.com (http://www.niddynook.com)
** Check out our online store with Money Transfer options! **

June 16th, 2006, 14:12
Remember all the Arthur Treachers Fish-N-Chips franchises across the old USofA? (Or does that pre-date too many of the American members here?)

June 16th, 2006, 14:26
No, but I do remember Long John Silver's. And not very fondly, either.

June 16th, 2006, 14:26
Remember all the Arthur Treachers Fish-N-Chips franchises across the old USofA? (Or does that pre-date too many of the American members here?)
I think some are still around, aren't they? Awful food.

June 16th, 2006, 17:25
I also stopped in for a bite a couple of nights ago. I had a cheeseburger....totally controversial for this board...lol. It was great. Certain posters on this board should just give up their personal vendetta and go down to the Nook to see for themselves. Just admit it...you really want to now don't u. I'm sure you'll be glad u did.

Smiles
June 16th, 2006, 19:09
Has LMTY dropped off the face of the earth? Maybe a fishing trip to Isaan? Guiding BoyGeorge through the Khymer temples at Phanom Rung and Phra Wihan?

Surely one would have thought he'd of been here on this thread (with Thaiquila bringing up his rear) for some good old NiddysNook Bashing . . . ( and then followed immediately by the obligatory crocodile-tearing accompanied by great cries of " ... who ME? A vendetta? Perish the thought ... " )

Cheers ...

June 17th, 2006, 00:47
Get it through your thick skulls that I don't have a vendetta agains the Nook. I love the chihuahua!

June 17th, 2006, 02:29
Has LMTY dropped off the face of the earth? ..

Wishful thinking Smiles, wishful thinking :alien:

cottmann
June 17th, 2006, 06:55
Get it through your thick skulls that I don't have a vendetta agains the Nook. I love the chihuahua!

Recipe for roasted chihuahua?

Ingredients:

* 1 chihuahua per person
* 2 1/2 cups softened butter
* 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
* 1 tablespoon ground allspice
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 3/4 lb. lean ground beef
* the livers from the chihuahuas, finely chopped
* 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
* 3 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
* 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
* 3/4 cups blanched almonds, finely chopped
* 3/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
* 3/4 cup golden raisins
* 3/4 cup pimento-stuff olives, finely chopped
* 1 cup dry white wine
* Juice of 3 oranges
* 3 cups turkey or chicken broth

Preparation:

Wash the chihuahuas and pat dry with paper towels; mix 2 cups of the softened butter with the salt and allspice and spread the mixture evenly on the chihuahuas, lifting the skin carefully to spread half of it under the skin.
Heat the remaining 1/2 cup butter in a large saucepan, saute the ground beef and chihuahua livers until the beef is no longer pink, add the potatoes, tomatoes, parsley, almonds, walnuts, raisins,olives and wine.
Cover and simmer 1 hour or until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Let the mixture cool, and use it to stuff the chihuahuas.
Place the stuffed chihuahuas in a roasting pan, pour the orange juice and broth over and bake in a pre-heated 400┬║ oven for 1/2 hour.
Cover the pan with a lid or foil tent, lower the heat to 375┬║ and continue roasting till done, basting with the liquid in the pan.
Twenty minutes per pound is the average cooking time for a stuffed, roasted chihuahua; a thermometer inserted into the inner thigh muscle should register 180┬║-185┬║.
Allow to rest for 1/2 hour before carving.
The liquid in the pan may be thickened with flour or cornstarch if a thicker gravy is desired.

June 17th, 2006, 09:22
DELETED

Up2U
June 17th, 2006, 09:48
Has LMTY dropped off the face of the earth? Maybe a fishing trip to Isaan? Guiding BoyGeorge through the Khymer temples at Phanom Rung and Phra Wihan?

Surely one would have thought he'd of been here on this thread (with Thaiquila bringing up his rear) for some good old NiddysNook Bashing . . . ( and then followed immediately by the obligatory crocodile-tearing accompanied by great cries of " ... who ME? A vendetta? Perish the thought ... " )

Cheers ...

He's got nothing to say.....his real estate career in on hold.

American Teacher-old
June 17th, 2006, 12:19

Recipe for roasted chihuahua?

Sick and sad. That's all I can say.

-Chris

www.niddysnook.com (http://www.niddysnook.com)
** Home of the Chihuahua Pet Companion Foundation to Thwart Evil Puppy Slayers **

June 17th, 2006, 13:00
DELETED

June 17th, 2006, 23:39
I just had real fish & chips............and the vinegar is damn repeating.....

the chips were fabulous though.

June 18th, 2006, 15:31
DELETED

American Teacher-old
June 18th, 2006, 17:08
I have to say that for Fish and Chips then it has to be The Pig & Whistle and Seaside 2. Nearly real English chips with Vinegar, tartar and HP Brown sauce.

I have not tried Niddys F & C's so can't comment, but will say, English do F & C's, Americans do burgers!!!

Chris, do you serve tartar sauce, real chips (not french fried crap) and Sarsons Vinegar or HP Brown Sauce with your Fish & Chip's? And what is the price?

Hello John. Against my better judgement, I will answer your questions. However, I have a feeling that somehow you will end up turning them around on me (as usual) in a negative way.

That being said, here we go:

1. We have a modified tartar sauce -- it is a Niddy thai-style tarter sauce (a little different than the norm, but quite tasty in my opinion).
2. Our chips are steak-style french fries, but fried potatoes are also available upon request.
3. Yes we have malt vinegar -- though I don't know what "sarsons" is.
4. HP Brown Sauce? Nope.

If you would like to know the price, please visit our website at:

Fondly,
Chris

June 18th, 2006, 18:57
y'know why is it the english think that they are the inventors, nay the authority on fish and chips - i have had english fish and chips as have many of my friends from the antipodes who have experienced this (traditional?) english gourmand delight and we all have found them greasy, flavourless, and indegestible. You want some decent fish and chips - go to any aussie or kiwi fish and chip shop which is worth its salt (and vinegar - hehe) and u will have a gastronomic ex[erience.
Anyway, everyone knows that traditional English food is curry isn't it................................

cottmann
June 19th, 2006, 07:05
..... You want some decent fish and chips - go to any aussie or kiwi fish and chip shop which is worth its salt (and vinegar - hehe) and u will have a gastronomic ex[erience.....

I have visited several Aussie fish and chip shops over the years - they were all operated either by Chinese or by Pacific Islanders!

American Teacher-old
June 19th, 2006, 09:11
IwanUK,

I can't respond to PM here through my proxy for some reason, but thanks so much for your comments. They were greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

-Chris

** Home of the Freshest Fish & Chips! **

June 19th, 2006, 09:44
DELETED

June 19th, 2006, 13:02
Depending on where you go for your fish and chips in the UK, you will find so much more at Fish & Chip shops. I was a little dissapointed when visiting Yorkshire (I only went there the once, ghastly place full of Leeds Utd Fans!) they only served Fish & Chips, however, in Scotland you can often find deep fried Mars Bars for dessert. The greatest place for fish & chips is obviously the North West of England, where you can get:

Scraps - all the floaty bits that drop off the fish
Curry Sauce - (Hmmmm curry sauce, drool) poured over your chips
Mushy Peas - a greater cause of flatulence and methane emmitted global warming is yet to be found
Pies - For Americans these are meat based products and not filled with fruit - why don't the yanks have meat pies?
Baby's Head - individual sized steak & kidney puddings.
Batttered Sausage - no ritualistic abuse, just sausage deep fried in batter
Huge pickled onions and pickled eggs that would make your eyes water

Every Friday we had the chip shop run and now I've got that craving too.

Oh, and 'Sarson's' is the number one brand name for malt vinegar (for info).

June 19th, 2006, 13:07
The Mars bar is of course an American invention.

cottmann
June 19th, 2006, 14:18
The Mars bar is of course an American invention.

Invented BY Forrest Mars, invented IN Slough, UK., in 1932-33.

June 19th, 2006, 14:34
Thank you. I stand corrected.

June 19th, 2006, 14:43
I though it was Fish & chaps!

catawampuscat
June 21st, 2006, 09:24
Readers of this thread might have noticed it when the village idiot claimed to be Mr. Nice Guy and then turns around and
zinged "catpiss" ..Not so Mr. Nice Guy after all, but if you dish it out you can't complain when it comes back around to you..

Not sure what all this has to do with the fish and chips thread but I guess, when a thread compliments a restaurant you are
trying to "teach a lesson to", just change the subject and attack some poor old pensioner who just gets by with a little financial
help from his friends...
Chris, I think you are winning this one and even the village idiot and bringing up the rear Thakyla refrained..

Lastly, nice to see boygeenyus admit when he is wrong and nice to know something about the history of Mars.. I would have guessed
it was American too but Snickers must be an American invention..

June 21st, 2006, 09:32
DELETED

June 21st, 2006, 09:54
Seems I was correct after all: the Mars bar is a US invention (Tacoma, Washington to be exact).

It's all there at the Mars Company site:

http://www.mars.com/About+us/The+Mars+Story.htm

cottmann
June 21st, 2006, 11:17
Seems I was correct after all: the Mars bar is a US invention (Tacoma, Washington to be exact).

Try the TimesOnline obit for Forrest Mars - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 56,00.html (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1452156,00.html). He bought out the company established by his father, with whom he had (variously reported) quarrelled or parted ways in an amicable fashion. Wikipedia (if it can be trusted) points out that what is sold in the USA as a Mars Bar is elsewhere called a Snickers. Maybe we're talking about different products? See http://totl.net/VisibleMars/ for the differences.

June 21st, 2006, 11:18
Looking forward to trying Niddy's chipper.
Whats the big deal, its just frying fish.
You think frying fish is something non-Brits can't do?

June 21st, 2006, 11:27

Try the TimesOnline obit for Forrest Mars - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 56,00.html (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1452156,00.html). He bought out the company established by his father, with whom he had (variously reported) quarrelled or parted ways in an amicable fashion. Wikipedia (if it can be trusted) points out that what is sold in the USA as a Mars Bar is elsewhere called a Snickers. Maybe we're talking about different products? See http://totl.net/VisibleMars/ for the differences.

Lawd I tried to avoid the 'Mars' segue, but here goes. The Mars Bar and Snickers Bar are both American products. The Mars Bar is a diffferent Product to the Snickers Bar, which has existed for some 70 years or so. The Snickers Bar was known in the UK as the Marathon Bar until it changed in the 1990's to fall in line with the name used worldwide, 'Snickers'.

Having tasted the American produced Mars and Snickers and the English version, they are the same product but taste different, the English version is much more chocolatey IMHO. Further, I think I tried some version of the Snickers bar that was aimed at being a high energy bar - what a piece of shit that was!

Personally, give me a 'Curly Wurly' any day of the week.

June 21st, 2006, 11:29
No, it's "Snickers" in the US, too.

But what is sold as "Milky Way" in the US is marketed as "Mars Bar" elsewhere.

June 21st, 2006, 11:45
No, it's "Snickers" in the US, too.

But what is sold as "Milky Way" in the US is marketed as "Mars Bar" elsewhere.

Sorry Boygeenyus, I think you are wrong, I even think the Mars website is wrong. The Milky way is a totally different product to the Mars Bar. The Milky Way has supposedly a light and fluffy nougat centre whilst the Mars Bar has a layer of chewey or elastic caramel. The Milky Way is definitely the poorer cousin to either Mars or Snickers and as far back as I remember we had in the UK Mars Bars, Milky Way's and Snickers (then called Marathon), all different products despite the Mars website saying that what is known as a Mars Bar outside the US is known as a Milky Way in the US. They definitely have Mars Bars in the US. This is such a heated debate and deserves wider attention than this forum, is there a conspiracy going on to befuddle and confuse the chocolate eating population?

Oh, and as well as a curly wurly, I could do with a finger of fudge right now!

June 21st, 2006, 11:53
Milky Ways in the US do have a layer of caramel in addition to nougat. The one that is all fluffy nougat is called the 3 Musketeers bar.

To make matters more complicated, there is a Marathon Bar in the US, too -- but it is nothing like a Snickers (no peanuts).

Brad the Impala
June 21st, 2006, 12:00
Well that's all completely clear then! I am soooo relieved.

June 21st, 2006, 12:02
Here's what we knew as the Marathon Bar in the US:

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/curly-wurly.htm

Apparently, Cadbury is still making a near-exact replica, under the name Curly Wurly.

June 21st, 2006, 12:09
Here's what we knew as the Marathon Bar in the US:

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/curly-wurly.htm

Apparently, Cadbury is still making a near-exact replica, under the name Curly Wurly.

"The Marathon Bar was a full eight inches ..." You yanks always had to make them bigger and better. 'A full 8" is enough to satisfy anyone' could have been their slogan!

June 21st, 2006, 12:27
MODERATOR please do something???
A lot of us are cursed with English sensibilities on this forum and if it's one thing we cannot abide, it is thoughts of stuffed roasted lap dogs with a piquant onion dressing. I am sure the RSPCA would agree, it just takes one mistaken,misguided gastronome (probably Asian, but could be Belgian) to read this and Chihuahua will start appearing on menus all over town. Next it will be black Pug, just a bit too close for comfort, for a lot of us. I beseech you to change the wording on cottmann's post. Anything but dog will do, :albino: :cat: :albino: er and horse.

TrongpaiExpat
June 21st, 2006, 14:46
41 replies to a topic on fried fish and fried potatoes?

I am not sure if it's a British obsession or just a general food passion that you all have.

cottmann
June 21st, 2006, 14:55
MODERATOR please do something???
A lot of us are cursed with English sensibilities on this forum and if it's one thing we cannot abide, it is thoughts of stuffed roasted lap dogs with a piquant onion dressing. I am sure the RSPCA would agree, it just takes one mistaken,misguided gastronome (probably Asian, but could be Belgian) to read this and Chihuahua will start appearing on menus all over town. Next it will be black Pug, just a bit too close for comfort, for a lot of us. I beseech you to change the wording on cottmann's post. Anything but dog will do, :albino: :cat: :albino: er and horse.

Cedric, such sensibilities! Maybe you would prefer guinea pig? or Bambi - I mean venison?
See http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/tv_and_radio/50eats35.shtml

June 21st, 2006, 15:05
er yes anything. Pheasant, grouse, lamb just anything, doormice, hamster but just not puppy dogs or horse. I beg you to edit.

June 21st, 2006, 16:43
was a song by...Noel Coward...I think.

41 replies to a topic on fried fish and fried potatoes?
I am not sure if it's a British obsession or just a general food passion that you all have.
When you've the reputation for having the worst cuisine in the world, with the most off putting names: Bangers & Mash, Bubble & Squeek, Mushy Peas, Pasties, Toad in the Hole, Spotted Dick (!) you're entitled to brag on the things you do better than anyone else.
Real, old-fashioned, fish and chips is even difficult to find in the UK now so don't be too hard on Pattaya--And don't forget the newspaper cones; some swear it just doesn't taste the same without them.
I love apple pie with custard sauce, cottage Pie, shephards pie and a good joint...the, 'with yorkshire pudding,' kind too.

American Teacher-old
June 22nd, 2006, 08:22
Hello all! Just curious if this thread is responsible for the current rush we have had on fish and chips at Niddy's Nook the last three days??! If so, thanks for coming by and giving us a try!

As a result of John Botting's comments (and others as well), I did some investigating on tartar sauce in Thailand. The choices for buying this product are few and I feel pretty inferior (not to mention kind of costly). So, I researched recipes on the internet (ones with Brit's seal of approvals) and PRESTO -- we made up a batch of really tasty tartar sauce last night.

If this sauce is given good reviews by the next few customers, we will adopt it as a regular part of our fish and chips experience.

Thanks to those who made suggestions -- and if you are in the area, stop by, try the F&C with all new tartar sauce and let us know what you think!

Fondly,
Chris

June 22nd, 2006, 11:18
... takes great pleasure in informing me of what is edible and 'arory' in Isan. At the last mention he listed the obvious never ending variety of insects, cockroaches and beetles, bbirds, dogs, wild pigs (which he goes hunting with his dear papa), rats, mice and cats (which he endearingly calls meoow! - Is Meoow the real Thai word for cat?).

Oh and he wants me to go see two cocks fighting (not as first thought). How do I explain that to western sensibilities, this is viewed as inhumane and barbaric when to the Thai's (or maybe some Thai's only, I don't know) it is a great source of enjoyment. If you have ever seen an ageing cock who has been in one tooo many fights, they are the sorriest looking buggers outside some of the sights you see on Jomtien Beach.

June 22nd, 2006, 11:47
Its strange but I don't find cock fights at all repulsive. In fact I find the whole ceremony and activity very entertaining. More so in Indonesia than Thailand. I missed it all last time due to bird flu.
I think it comes from having had a grandparent who had chickens both for eating and for eggs.
Cocks fight all the time and make no mistake they do a lot of damage to themselves in the process, quite often to the death, but usually they survive all mauled and wobbly only just to repeat the whole thing the next day. It just seems to be what they do. They even used to attack us. They will run after each other all day long and inflict as much damage as possible, even when their territory has not been impinged on, and also even when they have unrestricted living arrangements. The minute a younger cock starts displaying male characteristics the others all climb in. I think a cock would be very frustrated if it couldn't fight a bit.

Dogs are a bit the same in this respect, however once status or pecking order has been established they usually settle down, though this can take a long time depending on the dogs,cocks never seem to. I don't enjoy dog fights or even boxing but I like kick boxing. Its very entertaining and I always want to take the looser home, standing there so dejected in his under-shorts for all the world to see.

PeterUK
June 22nd, 2006, 11:56
The choices for buying this product are few and I feel pretty inferior

Please don't let this trivial matter have such a devastating effect on your mood.

American Teacher-old
June 22nd, 2006, 12:30
The choices for buying this product are few and I feel pretty inferior

Please don't let this trivial matter have such a devastating effect on your mood.

Not to worry. It hasn't had any effect (devastating or otherwise) on my mood. We are just looking to improve the over-all experience of our customers -- that's all.

No harm done.

Fondly,
Chris

** Have you tried our Chicken Sandwich yet?! **

June 22nd, 2006, 13:44
He is thick, isn't he?

June 22nd, 2006, 14:06
He is thick, isn't he?
Thick like a fox!

American Teacher-old
June 22nd, 2006, 14:47
He is thick, isn't he?

Have I slept with you BG?

Such intimate knowledge of me.

Fondly,
Chris

** Home of Pattaya's Tastiest Cheeseburger!! **
(don't miss our big Anniversary Bash on July 9th)

June 24th, 2006, 03:00
What potatoes make the best chips?

I say King edwards

Smiles
June 24th, 2006, 06:02
" ... What potatoes make the best chips? I say King edwards ... "
. . . . that would be PRINCE EDWARD (island) I do believe, you potatohead .

A typical Canadian . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Images/mrpotatohead.jpg

Cheers ...

June 24th, 2006, 06:28
" ... What potatoes make the best chips? I say King edwards ... "
. . . . that would be PRINCE EDWARD (island) I do believe, you potatohead .

A typical Canadian . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Images/mrpotatohead.jpg

Cheers ...

lmao................ i wish i WAS Canadian!

June 24th, 2006, 06:29
Just for you smiles

http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_dia ... edward.htm (http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_november_1_potato_kingedwar d.htm)

King Edward potatoes have been the true British potato for centuries

American Teacher-old
June 28th, 2006, 16:50
Hello all! Just curious if this thread is responsible for the current rush we have had on fish and chips at Niddy's Nook the last three days??! If so, thanks for coming by and giving us a try!

As a result of John Botting's comments (and others as well), I did some investigating on tartar sauce in Thailand. The choices for buying this product are few and I feel pretty inferior (not to mention kind of costly). So, I researched recipes on the internet (ones with Brit's seal of approvals) and PRESTO -- we made up a batch of really tasty tartar sauce last night.

If this sauce is given good reviews by the next few customers, we will adopt it as a regular part of our fish and chips experience.

Thanks to those who made suggestions -- and if you are in the area, stop by, try the F&C with all new tartar sauce and let us know what you think!

Since the tartar sauce issue was mentioned on the other thread, I thought I would re-highlight the fact that now -- due solely to customers requests from this board -- Niddy's Nook offers home-made tartar sauce with it's fabulous fish & chips! Drop by today and give it a try!

Fondly,
Chris

** Home of Pattaya's Tastiest Cheeseburger! **

June 29th, 2006, 00:17
And is the dish comped when people show up and you don't have any?

June 29th, 2006, 00:47

Tataquila, way you not smart and ask Chris to put a web cam on every table so we all can see how many people inside and what food on there plate ? John can make the time watch, LMTU can bring the 5 stars village reports ! " If webcam" , we all can see on the internet, and make objective reports from your club and give your reports a rang ! Oi oi oi, i forgot the web cam in the kitchen, is it real Niddy go cooks , does anyone put his cum in the food ? And last, do we want Chris to put a web cam in his sleeping room ? I think better not as we all look in that room to much and forget to look in the plate from costumers in the restaurant. :geek:

June 29th, 2006, 09:21
DELETED

American Teacher-old
June 29th, 2006, 11:38

THAIQUILA, darling... Are you back up to your old tricks again? Is that urge to wage a vendetta just overcoming you? Stick to the facts and not the speculation, and you'll earn much more respect.

JOHN, Baziel is an EXTREMELY nice guy. One of the most kind folks I've met in Thailand to date, in fact. Unfortunately, he is not a native English speaker and therefore, sometimes it is difficult for him to get his points accross in writing on this board. Now, if you want to hurl insults -- try aiming them at LMBU -- he is a native English speaker and well... enough said.

Fondly,
Chris

** Home of Pattaya's Tastiest Cheeseburger! **

June 29th, 2006, 11:41
No vendetta but there was a report that the famous sauce was not available when asked. You might be advised to always have it at the ready, is all.

So you don't like the Thaiquila cocktail idea?

American Teacher-old
June 29th, 2006, 11:54
No vendetta but there was a report that the famous sauce was not available when asked. You might be advised to always have it at the ready, is all.

That report was actually prior to the creation of the sauce -- and therefore unavailable at the time of THAT request. In fact, that was one of the reasons we added it to our dish. Thanks for clarifying that.

And, no... I don't like the idea of your drink at all.

Fondly,
Chris

June 29th, 2006, 12:01

That report was actually prior to the creation of the sauce -- and therefore unavailable at the time of THAT request. In fact, that was one of the resons we added it to our dish. Thanks for clarifying that.

Fondly,
Chris
I think you might be wrong about the dates there, the report of the missing sauce was VERY recent. Yet, this poster a few days ago said NO SAUCE. Why be so defensive and make up stories? Why not just say you will try to improve?

Tis a shame you don't like the cocktail name idea. I so looked forward to the cocktail launch party. I do hope you might reconsider, might be good publicity for you.

FROM A VERY RECENT POST:

My experience
My friend and I ate at Niddy's (first time) a few days ago. We were there in the afternoon about 2:30 or so. I really was not paying that much attention because it was not my intention to write a review.

When we went in, no one was there. No customers and no staff. We looked around and called out thinking staff must be busy in the back. As we decided to leave, a staff member came in from the outside. We asked if they were open yet and he said yes to my Thai friend. So we sat down, looked at the menu and ordered, one cheeseburger and one fish and chips. We each had water to drink. The water came right away. As we waited for the meal the staff member was polite and brought over a "Spice" magazine for us. He said it was the new edition. I thought that was nice of him to think of doing this. I have no idea how long it took for the food to be served as my friend and I were talking to each other and enjoying ourselves. When I eat alone, I do think time drags by.

The food was served both plates at about the same time. I had a bite of my friend's fish and chips and found it ok. We did ask for tartar sauce and the waiter said that none had been made.

June 29th, 2006, 12:34
Stick to the facts and not the speculation, and you'll earn much more respectSince I have Thaiquila on {Ignore} I can't read what he said (and don't want to), but in response to Chris' comment I have to say "Where's the fun in that?"

Baziel is an EXTREMELY nice guy. One of the most kind folks I've met in Thailand to date, in factGood heavens, he's a real person! After his first few posts I'd assumed he was a Billy clone and keep him on {Ignore} for that reason. In fact I sometimes run through threads that have as their only contributors Billy (in one guise or another), LMTU (another Billy clone, I've always thought), baziel and Thaiquila, and the whole thread runs "{whichever poster} is on your Ignore List". When dear old Adenoids chances along in the same thread it's a Royal Flush. Smiles tells me I should be more tolerant. But to end where I began - "Where's the fun in that?"

American Teacher-old
June 29th, 2006, 12:42

That report was actually prior to the creation of the sauce -- and therefore unavailable at the time of THAT request. In fact, that was one of the resons we added it to our dish. Thanks for clarifying that.

Fondly,
Chris
I think you might be wrong about the dates there, the report of the missing sauce was VERY recent.
FROM A VERY RECENT POST:

My experience
My friend and I ate at Niddy's (first time) a few days ago. We were there in the afternoon about 2:30 or so. I really was not paying that much attention because it was not my intention to write a review.

We asked if they were open yet and he said yes to my Thai friend. So we sat down, looked at the menu and ordered, one cheeseburger and one fish and chips. We each had water to drink. The water came right away. As we waited for the meal the staff member was polite and brought over a "Spice" magazine for us. He said it was the new edition. I thought that was nice of him to think of doing this.

The food was served both plates at about the same time. I had a bite of my friend's fish and chips and found it ok. We did ask for tartar sauce and the waiter said that none had been made.

Thaiquila, since I know from the past that you need things repeated several times to have them sink in...

This "recent" post was after the creation of our new tartar sauce.

Thanks,
Chris

** Try Our Fish & Chips With HOMEMADE Tartar Sauce!! **

June 29th, 2006, 12:51
Doesn't appear to be the truth based on your previous posts.
In fact, the report of your waiter's comment surely indicates that the waiter had served the sauce in question BEFORE this event, but it was not available.

If a waiter was asked for an item that he was unaware of, he would have said, no have, or what is that?, NOT none had been made. Get my point now?

We did ask for tartar sauce and the waiter said that none had been made.
Again, why be so defensive? Isn't fessing up to a minor boo boo honestly better than fictions? You kind of seem to have some amusing character flaws.

BTW: You posted on 22 JUNE announcing the availability of the sauce. The report of NO SAUCE was on 27 JUNE.
Something's FISHY!

June 29th, 2006, 13:47
Where's Jane Marple when you need her?

June 29th, 2006, 13:59
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/M/htmlM/missmarple/missmarpleIMAGE/missmarple.jpg

At your service, Guv!
I will uncover the TRUTH about the mysteriously missing tartar sauce for the Fish & Chips! What did the WAITER know and WHEN did he know it? What is American Teacher (bloody Yank) hiding? God save the queens! (from unsauced food)

June 29th, 2006, 16:40
Hmm...what kind of fish is it?
We Scots tend to serve haddock while in England it tends to be cod.
It's also sacrilege to serve fish n chips using those skinny McDonald's type chips. Get out the tottie peeler and make proper chips if it's to be done right.

June 29th, 2006, 17:20
But do you know what Baziel I am starting to doubt him. Why I hear you ask? Well, he told me you were a nice guy, albeit from Belguim, but you were still nice.

Maybe you are nice? But bright you are not. Now in true boygeorge style...

Give yourself an uppercut.

Mister Jonh Botting, i have a lot off respect for MONTY, and very sure MONTY will not harm others people business on this board or other where.

For AT, i hope more off you suport a nice young gay go try to make business in Thailand, do i real the only one understand how difficult this must be ?

For Billy, i am not a copy from the midget, i have a lot off respect for Thais and people.

For bright, mister Jonh clockwach, i can not talk about myself, but i am sure more bright as some off you !

Dodger
June 29th, 2006, 18:02
BBC Article:

Top UK dish 'hooked French first'

Fish and chips is a traditional seaside meal
It is thought to be the quintessential British meal, but new research claims the original idea for fish and chips came from Jewish and French dishes.
A study of the multicultural nature of UK cuisine suggests the meal was influenced by immigrants 150 years ago.

Professor Panikos Panayi of Leicester's De Montfort University has begun a ┬г6,000 research project to investigate the global influence on British food.

He said fish and chips mixed "French frites with Jewish fish dishes".

Mr Panayi's research is expected to last two to three years and his findings will be published in a book called The Spicing Up of English Life.

It's very interesting to hear the professor's findings on the origins of the ingredients that are still... a great British tradition

Harry Ramsden's spokeswoman
He said: "In the middle of the 19th century the main concern of most sections of English society consisted of eating enough food of sufficient quality to stay alive, rather than displaying a concern about variety.

"Transformations between 1850 and 1945 included the emergence of fish and chips, influenced by both French and Jewish culinary traditions.

He said the origins of the dish were complex, but probably came about from the combination of French frites with Jewish fish dishes.

"It certainly isn't the traditional British food people might think, and of course the meal is often enjoyed with a cup of tea - the best example of the influence of the Empire on English eating and drinking habits."

Fish and chips restaurant Harry Ramsden's serves 20,000 portions per day across Britain.

A spokeswoman said: "It's very interesting to hear the professor's findings on the origins of the ingredients that are still, and we're sure will always be, a great British tradition."

Dodger
June 29th, 2006, 18:20
Beer Battered Fish and Chips

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. dried dill weed

3/4 cup beer (Budweizer's best - but Singha will do in a pinch)

1/2 cup milk

2 eggs

1 1/2 to 2 lbs. cod fillets

4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into strips

vegetable oil for frying

Place potatoes in a medium sized bowl of cold water.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and dill. Add beer, milk, and eggs; mix well. Place fish fillets in batter mixture; coat well, and let stand for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oil in a large skillet over moderate heat (350 to 375 degrees F).

Fry the potatoes in the hot oil until they are tender and golden. Drain them on paper towels.

Place fish in hot oil, and fry (turning once) until golden brown. Cook fish in batches to maintain oil temperature. Drain well on paper towels, and keep separate batches warm in preheated oven (set on 'warm' or 'low' heat).

Fry the potatoes again for 1 to 2 minutes for added crispness.

Serves 4 (Brits)
Serves 2 (Yanks)
Serves 47 (Thais)

Enjoy...