PDA

View Full Version : Fancy a different night's entertainment?

newalaan2
June 25th, 2014, 03:25
I know many here who off lads from bars don't get involved in clubbing or late night entertainment places, but of you do want a slight change from the gay bars, show bars, sunee beer bars or straight back to the room nights if you do off an Issan lad, then there is a series of concerts by popular Thai artists, mainly folk, Issan based songs being sponsored by Chang Beer on Pattaya Tai.

It is a custom made show ground covering the period of the world cup from 14th this month to mid July. It's location is near soi 10 Pattaya Tai road. This is the road which starts at 2nd road traffic lights just up from Boyztown and continues past Tuk Com, past Friendship Supermarket, straight through the next set of traffic lights and on towards Big C, just before Big C on the right hand side.

Entry is free, Chang beer towers at Bt450, but bottles and jugs available too. It is set out like the Morlam Dancing in sai sam,(3rd road) but has tables and chairs set out on the basic surface.

Tonight we went to see a favourite Thai folk artist of mine and bf, Satien Tummeur, it was a surprise to come across one of his concerts as I have had most of his CDs for years but have never seen a concert. We arrived 9.30pm, already the supporting acts of Issan dancers, issan and pop/rock singers were on until 11pm when Satien Tummeur took the stage til 12.30am. Disappointing was the crowd numbers, only a couple of hundred, but it was not well advertised and I only knew of it by sheer chance when a waiter in one of the sunee beer bars last night told me he had seen a small poster as he passed the venue.

Song Taew across from outside Tuk-Com for the usual Bt10, but you have to make sure the Song Taew is going straight-on at the traffic lights as opposed to left/right turns.

26th Thursday, has an artist "Mai Tai", issan-style folk songs. So if you off an Issan lad from the bars and fancy a night out first, he might enjoy a change taking-in an artist he night like maybe with a couple of friends, not an expensive evening for four, two Chang beer towers would cover it at Bt450 each with no cover/entry charge. Snack-shacks also all around the site. Next month, 11th has the wonderful Pongsit Kumpee in concert. There are other concert dates between 26th June and 11th July. Only other note is that it is open-air with non-tarred basic surface so light shower would be ok, as we had tonight only for about 2 mins, but a downpour might be a bit messy.

Mixed crowd consisting females together, man-boys together and a smattering of gay lads all sharing Chang Towers with friends, all good fun and no attitudes. One other farang in attendance, seemingly by accident as he disappeared after 30 minutes of dancing by himself at the very front of the large stage long before the main artist appeared.

anonone
June 25th, 2014, 16:08
Thanks for posting about this Newalan. Sounds like a great time.

Any idea if there is something every night? If you hear of good artists that will be playing next week, please let me know. Anything that would be especially fun for a group of Issan guys would be ideal.

newalaan2
June 27th, 2014, 15:09
Anything that would be especially fun for a group of Issan guys would be ideal.
I will be near the site today as we use the Big C there rather than the one in Pattaya Nua/north pattaya and will advise.

Also received a PM from a member about the location of the site as it was maybe a little confusing about my mentioning the set of traffic lights up from Boyztown. So I'll just respond here.

Forget about this and just consider finding the location from outside Tuk Com on Pattaya Tai, (south pattaya Road) which runs from Pattaya 2nd road onwards past Wat Chai. From the main road opposite Tuk Com continue straight on past Friendship Supermarket (which is on the right) to the next set of traffic lights and go straight on here too, then check out the soi numbers on the left hand side as you go 16, 14, 12, 10 just after soi 10 alight Song Taew and walk a little further on the right hand side of the road towards Big C signs, before Big C you will see huge lights and motocy taxis and lots of carnival/show ground fun and market style shops, just past these is the main site you can't miss the Chang Beer promotions.

Anonone, there was a perfect artist on last night for Issan lads called Mai Tai, pity he wasn't on next week, I didn't get to this one myself as we, bf and friend and I fancied a night a ZAB bar (situated right at the start of Walking Street beside the Tourist Police van) instead, Which we really enjoyed.

Normally punters here just have a single drink, bottle at Bt160? and stay for a short spell, but we decided to open 100 pipers at Bt950 plus mixers and snacks, not expensive for an evening, and superb entertainment if you like that type of music, the vocalists are top notch as are the band. Not specifically gay, in fact mostly all other customers were straight, a combination of westerners obviously dragged along by their Thai ladies, and many single or groups of Thai ladies but all entering into the fun of the occasion. No 'attitude' detected.

anonone
June 27th, 2014, 16:56
Awesome post. Thanks newalan for the very detailed directions to the site.

Sounds like a great place to spend the early evening before getting the whole gang together at Tam Nan Issan for the late night. A musical evening indeed.