PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it's better not to use the hotel booking sites

Jetsam
June 16th, 2014, 02:21
Just booked an one room apartment for just one week at Mosaic for 6500 bht directly at their website, I checked agoda.com and the same room for that date would cost me about 11000 bht.
I know it's convenient to use the booking sites, but sometimes it's worth to check the hotel rates at their own site.

thats all folks :-*

Surfcrest
June 16th, 2014, 02:42
Not only that Jetsam, sometimes booking direct with an Airline or direct with a Hotel, be that by phone or through their own company site, gets you a better selection of what's available. This could include seat selection on an airline, class of service, points or to line up specific connections that have to be made. With many Hotel bookings, it opens the door to add-ons, options, shuttle service, etc. When I travel on business I'm usually staying at the Marriott and I find their site and even their App very convenient for connecting my purchases to points, putting me up high and away from the noise of the street, adding meals (breakfast) on ahead of time...even early and late check-ins. Once you get a handle on a Hotel's price structure, you'll know when you are getting an especially good deal from the booking sites. Booking.com's Secret Deals for members is amazing for getting a Hotel room at rock bottom prices, you just have to hope that the room you are assigned has everything you expect.

Surfcrest

fountainhall
June 16th, 2014, 10:12
After travelling extensively for decades, it's clear there is no one way to guarantee the best deal! There are far too many variables, including when and with whom you book. For a long time, I assumed that the earlier you book with a pre-paid reservation, the cheaper the rate. As an example, 18 months ago the relatively unknown travelzoo.com offered amazing 70% off deals at the Marriott Resort & Spa in Khao Lak and a 5-star hotel in Tokyo for booking well in advance. No other booking site or the hotels' own sites ever got anywhere near those rates.

On the other hand, a friend and his partner are off to Europe in the middle of next month. For a couple of nights on the trip they were keen to stay in a 5-star hotel in a European capital where they stayed 2 years ago in the off season. On that trip the best rates came directly from the hotel. For a July booking, two months ago this hotel's site had rooms for around тВм350 and booking engines for not much less. Last week Starwood's own site offered the same rooms at less than half - тВм148. Lastminute.com had them at тВм188! Even better, one of the regular European-based booking sites offered the same room at тВм172 including free internet and two breakfasts daily (normally тВм31 each!). So they naturally cancelled the more expensive 'free cancellation' booking they had at another hotel.

scottish-guy
June 16th, 2014, 11:57
Never mind the topic - good to see quality posters like Fountainhall on SGT

fountainhall
June 16th, 2014, 13:25
Thanks SG. I'll try and keep quality in mind and not quantity as the length of my posts on another Board still comes in for a fair bit of stick! :-@

a447
June 16th, 2014, 16:05
You are right there is no way to guarantee the best price. You need to be patient and compare all the sites. The difference can be alarming.

BTW Fountainhall, I used to enjoy your posts on the other board concerning various aspects of the airline industry, which is a particular interest of mine.
I hope to see some in the Global Forum.

anonone
June 16th, 2014, 16:38
Just booked an one room apartment for just one week at Mosaic for 6500 bht directly at their website, I checked agoda.com and the same room for that date would cost me about 11000 bht.
I know it's convenient to use the booking sites, but sometimes it's worth to check the hotel rates at their own site.

thats all folks :-*

Hi Jetsam.
Seems you did strike a good deal, but be aware that you are not comparing "apples to apples". Usually, when you book Mosaik through Agoda, it is for a "hotel room" type of deal. Electric and daily maid service included. When you book directly with Mosaik, it is for an "apartment" type deal, with once a week cleaning and you pay electric at end of stay.

Not saying that those particular differences are worth the 5500 baht, but that will explain some of the price difference.

Hope you have a great visit.

catawampuscat
June 16th, 2014, 19:02
I'll agree with Scottish-guy in regards to Fountainhall. In my top 5 all time posters list.

June 17th, 2014, 04:48
BTW Fountainhall, I used to enjoy your posts on the other board concerning various aspects of the airline industry, which is a particular interest of mine.It's OK for you to come out a447, there's no shame in admitting you're a trolley dolly these days.

christianpfc
June 17th, 2014, 19:44
When I travel in Thailand, I don't book hotels at all any more. Just show up at the reception.

For my recent (Sun-Tue) Pattaya trip, I wanted a change of place (the place I stayed the last times has several disadvantages), and a friend recommendet Marina Inn. I checked their website: standard room 720 Baht per night in low season, checked agoda: 720 (after you add 7% VAT and 10% service charge to the front page price). Then I walked there: special 499 Baht per night!