View Full Version : How's business in Pattaya?

extronaut
June 15th, 2014, 19:02
Since the curfew lifted? Still a buyer's market? Or has there been a boom, driving up prices?

travelerjim
June 15th, 2014, 21:20
Pattaya is SLOW...LOW Season + few tourists coming..IMHO
More businesses being shuttered as you will see driving around town.

Prices about the same...some cafe's have specials...
others have raised prices...because we have fewer customers now...(the Thai way)...

My Thai bf & I enjoyed a pizza (medium size) ...either Pepperoni or Hawaiian...with chips for 149 Thai baht...
An all day special at New York Caf├й on Walking Street...bay side...
nice seating overlooking bay inside ...even air conditioned area too.

They also have 39 Thai baht beer specials 6-8pm daily...San Miguel, San Miguel Light or Singha

tj

gregvc
June 16th, 2014, 00:54
Lack of traffic, In fact a lack of general noice. Businesses closing everywhere esp bars. Few on the beach. I know that is the low season but even so.... I finally went eros. At first I was feeling very awkward not knowing what to do, pay etc and always worried I would be scammed. But this was not the case. Twinks are not my scene but 2 young men entertained me. Little english. Somehow I promised to take them to mor lum isarn disco.sometime. my drink, their drinks and 100 baht each was still less than 500 baht. The partitioned area is a available for 100 baht . If I took them to disco I assume I would be paying bar fine and drinks. While at eros my bf was being shown the busy cruising park on the hill

aot871
June 16th, 2014, 02:02
Lack of traffic, In fact a lack of general noice. Businesses closing everywhere esp bars. Few on the beach. I know that is the low season but even so.... I finally went eros. At first I was feeling very awkward not knowing what to do, pay etc and always worried I would be scammed. But this was not the case. Twinks are not my scene but 2 young men entertained me. Little english. Somehow I promised to take them to mor lum isarn disco.sometime. my drink, their drinks and 100 baht each was still less than 500 baht. The partitioned area is a available for 100 baht . If I took them to disco I assume I would be paying bar fine and drinks. While at eros my bf was being shown the busy cruising park on the hill
Where is this busy cruising park?

egel
June 16th, 2014, 07:30
If it is Pratumack Hill (sp) then I suggest you be careful, very careful.

gregvc
June 16th, 2014, 10:28
Yes, the hill between pattaya and jomtien. My bf and his friend showed me. We were in his new honda accord so were protected. But advice taken.

gregvc
June 16th, 2014, 14:15
I asked my bf how dangerous. He said maybe be get killed!! I ha e losr my interest although he said if you were with a friend it might be ok

Impulse
June 17th, 2014, 08:17
Why so dangerous?

gregvc
June 17th, 2014, 09:50
In the dark, gangs after money, like most gay cruising areas ayor. But doesnt stop people.

christianpfc
June 17th, 2014, 20:03
I have written about cruising in the park:

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... 32014.html (http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/03/pattaya-10-12032014.html)
http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... 32014.html (http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/04/pattaya-23-25032014.html)

From my few visits there I cannot tell when is the best time to go there and what to expect. In my case, the danger were stray dogs, not people. No sign of gangs.

netrix
June 17th, 2014, 22:51
It's worth noting that Pratamnak is an upscale part of town. I lived on the hill in a brand new condo for a year. The whole area is very clean and hi-so
compared to most of Pattaya. There have been reported muggings in the park after dark, but it's not like gang members patrol the area looking
for farangs to kill. I'd say walking down walking street is 10x more dangerous. But all of that being said... why go cruising in a secluded park at night
anyway? Just go to NAB or one of the other discos. If you're not 106 years old you'll be cruised all night long, not only by moneyboys.

Manforallseasons
June 18th, 2014, 03:05
[quote="netrix"]It's worth noting that Pratamnak is an upscale part of town. I lived on the hill in a brand new condo for a year. The whole area is very clean and hi-so

Don't know when this was but now is known as "Little Moscow" Russian restaurants, stores of all kinds and worst of all typical low class Pattaya Russians.

gregvc
June 18th, 2014, 13:55
Olivias (?) In jomtien complex Closed but sign says will reopen soon as Indochine.

gregvc
June 18th, 2014, 14:01
Yes, those bloody dogs throughout Thailand. Why can't they be neutered. Trouble is that people feed them . They dont seem to bark or show teeth at thais only farang. Many yrs ago I had to fend off two that came out of a grassy plot of land next my bf factory. Thankfully I had an umbrella but I was shaking with fear and his security lady shooed them away. Main fear was if they were rabid.

christianpfc
June 18th, 2014, 14:30
Yes, it's still a buyer's market (has been as long as I've been coming to Pattaya). Currently many boys, few customers, details see here:

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... 62014.html (http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/06/pattaya-sun-tue-15-17062014.html)

joe552
June 20th, 2014, 22:29
I'm just back from my annual 2 weeks in Pattaya (I go same time every year) and thought it was much quieter than previous years. I still managed to have lots of fun as always, but many times I was the only farang in whatever bar I happened to be in.

daf4
June 22nd, 2014, 02:09
Been going to pattaya for four years now but never been to any of the night clubs anyone tell me the procedure is it just turn up and pay entry or as someone told me take a bottle with me????

RonanTheBarbarian
June 22nd, 2014, 03:04
You have two choices.

You CAN pay in at the door and pay for your drinks individually. The procedure there is, you pay a fee to enter, and are given a ticket which entitles you to one free drink. You can then buy more drinks. This is close to the western way, and would be the handiest i guess if you are going alone.

However, in Pattaya, people tend to go to the nightclubs in groups. (it is best to do the same if you can manage it - such as offing a guy and telling him he can invite some friends - there isnt much opportiunities for a single person on the nightclubs).
If you are going into a club in a group of three or four, you can get a set deal when you arrive -this means buying a buying bottle of whiskey (you get some free mixers with it). You will then get free entry and you will be ushered to a table where your bottle and mixers will be set up up for you (most people buy a bucket of ice too).

People can also take their own bottles in with them and pay for the mixers, ice etc. (not sure if you have to pay for your ticket in that scenario).

So, before going, you have to decide if you want to do it alone, or round up a posse first.

RonanTheBarbarian
June 22nd, 2014, 03:27
By the way, some places can be awkward about you bringing in your own bottle (not unexpectedly, as it hits their bottom line).
And they will usually get you anyway with compulsory mixer and ice purchases if you bring your own, so I would be inclined to buy the bottle from the nightclub on your first visit anyway, till you know their policies.

christianpfc
June 22nd, 2014, 11:06
There will probably be a corkage fee if you bring your own bottle.

netrix
June 24th, 2014, 02:15
It's worth noting that Pratamnak is an upscale part of town. I lived on the hill in a brand new condo for a year. The whole area is very clean and hi-so

Don't know when this was but now is known as "Little Moscow" Russian restaurants, stores of all kinds and worst of all typical low class Pattaya Russians.

This is now. I lived there last year. There are many Russians but there is nothing low class about Pratumnak.
My office was there as was my condo, brand new very upscale. The neighborhood is very clean and quiet for Pattaya.
No noisy bars or loud street parties at 4 am.

This video shows the park mentioned in this thread. It's a beautiful place to run or bike or go for a walk.
[youtube:23a9lk5t]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OC5VmNdyx8[/youtube:23a9lk5t]

egel
June 24th, 2014, 06:29
The problem is not in the park or the paths that lead around the hill, as in the video above.

The problems are in a road on the right hand side as you leave Pattaya going uphill towards Jomtien. It is just beyond the overpass and before you reach the parks, about 1/3 the way up the hill. This road leads back down towards Bali Hi Pier. It is easily recogniseable as it is partially derelict and full of potholes. I think it is unlit.

I have been down there after dark on my motor bike and there are all sorts of weird people hanging around, and in the bushes nearby. It gave me the willies.

Avoid that road and all other areas are probably OK as has been said.