PDA

View Full Version : Mosaik Apartments

1PR4BKK
June 16th, 2006, 08:00
Has anyone stayed at the Mosaik Apartments in Pattaya Thailand? I just confirmed my reservation and now have doubts about the quality of the place. It looks great online, however, it does not mention the size of the apartment nor itтАЩs proximity to the beach. Can anyone fill me in on the real deal about this place? Thanks so much for any information provided.

cottmann
June 16th, 2006, 08:42
Has anyone stayed at the Mosaik Apartments in Pattaya Thailand? I just confirmed my reservation and now have doubts about the quality of the place. It looks great online, however, it does not mention the size of the apartment nor itтАЩs proximity to the beach. Can anyone fill me in on the real deal about this place? Thanks so much for any information provided.

Well, the apartments are in Soi Day Night, and the map at http://www.pattayagay.com/pattaya_maps/mappage1.html gives you some idea of the area - look for Luxor and Ole Restaurants as a guide - the apartments are in the same block as Ole and the administration is in the Luxor building. They are not near the beach in Pattaya - and a baht bus ride from Jomtien.

Dboy
June 16th, 2006, 08:55
Oh yeah I know this place. It's quite new, so I really wouldn't worry about the quality. But the added bonus to staying there is that Niddy's Nook is mere steps away!

Dboy

travelerjim
June 16th, 2006, 09:13
:alien: I have stayed at Mosaik Apartments for two months this year- March and April - and I am pleased to recommend them to you!

The management is active and alert and very good! They will take good care of you during your stay.

I was recovering from hip replacement surgery and found the apartment location ideal for me. Many wonderful restaurants with many choices of foods at very affordable prices are steps away and nearby; the building has elevator lifts; few steps to navigate - only two small steps up from soi street to entry to building; excellent security 24 hours daily; close to IT Center and TOPS Supermarket which is located in the basement of the IT Center just a 3 minute stroll from the apartment; the 10 baht bus ride of about 10 to 15 minutes to take me to the beach ...or anywhere in Pattaya ....is at the end of the street/soi ...just a short three minute walk from the apartments; and it is close to both Sunee Plaza - a short 5 minute walk, and Boyztown a five minute baht bus ride or 10 minute walk from the apartment.

I rented a Studio which included a large queen size bed ( I requested a second mattress on the bed to raise the height of the bed so I could easily sit down on the bed at hip level and they were most happy to accomodate my request at no added cost) , stereo tv, cable tv, telephone, refrigerator, table with two chairs for dining, and a kitchenette with cabinets and electric hotplate. Bathroom was good size with toilet, wash basin and mirror and a large shower; a large clothes armoir; and a balcony - very small patio area...not really usable for sitting in my opinion...but nice (however the rooms on the East side have larger balcony and would be nice for sitting); and good lighting. The color schemes used by the apartments for bed linen and sheets brightens up the room greatly!

I paid 10,200 baht monthly for the room which was on the third floor. I found out later that the second floor rent is 9,200 baht; third floor rent 10,200 baht and fourth floor rent is 11,200 baht....1,000 baht per month higher rent for higher floor. No difference which floor you are on - so I suggest you choose lowest floor available and save the baht! The utilites averaged 2,000 baht monthly for my studio...and note that I was probably using the air conditioning more than usual as I spent more time in the apartment while recuperating from my surgery. Maid service is available for 200 baht each time used and clean lnen for the bed and bathroom is 300 baht per change.

I looked at the size of the one bedroom unit which are on the frontside of the apartment building facing East....(the Studios are on the backside - facing West) and it was spacious and nicely furnished throughout. I would have been most pleased with the one bedroom but sought to save money and so I chose the Studio. The one bedroom units were about 8,000 baht more monthly...in the 18 - 20,000 baht range I believe.

One month's rent is required in advance along with an added one month's rent as security deposit. No problems with return of the deposit if you have taken good care of the room.

The Mosaik Apartments website is located at:

http://mosaik-pattaya.com/ .

Enjoy your stay...and if you have any added questions, please let me know.

TravelerJim
For Affordable International Health and Travel Insurance
Please visit www.tjinsurance.com (http://www.tjinsurance.com) .

1PR4BKK
June 16th, 2006, 11:41
Thanks a lot guys. You are all great with your replies. I will be happy for now with my choice to stay at Mosaik on my upcoming visit. While I am there I will look at other properties in Pattaya to see where I may stay on future visitsтАжif I decide to come back.

Cottmann, thanks for the map site. It was a very useful site and the map of Day-Night Sois 1-3 District is now part of my travel folder (IтАЩm such a travel geek). Although I was hoping to be closer to the beach I guess I can manage to ride a motor bike there with no problem during this stay.

Dboy, I wonтАЩt worry since you said the place is new and not worry about the quality.

Travelerjim, if you stayed there for two months and can still recommend this place then I am satisfied for booking there. I did reserve the two-room (one bedroom) unit.

Rainwalker99, thanks for the photo of the outside of the building (which is going in my travel folder). As for the golden statues, I will just pretend I am at a Thai Academy Awards facility. They are a little off looking.

:wav:

American Teacher-old
June 16th, 2006, 14:26
Oh yeah I know this place. It's quite new, so I really wouldn't worry about the quality. But the added bonus to staying there is that Niddy's Nook is mere steps away!

Dboy

Indeed, we are right around the corner! I have put some friends up in these apartments and I am happy to agree with the other users here - it is a wonderful and brand new accomodation. You won't be sorry. And, in my opinion, the location is fantastic -- not only because it is close to Niddy's Nook -- but also because it is just a short walk away from Boyztown and Sunee Plaza, plus just a quick songtow or motorbike taxi ride away from the beach!

Enjoy your stay!

Fondly,
Chris

www.niddysnook.com (http://www.niddysnook.com)
** Try Niddy's Highly Recommended Fish & Chips! **

June 16th, 2006, 18:34
A good friend stayed at Mosaic some months ago and payed a horrible rate for electricity and phone. Horrible I said. Probably four times the going rate. You will be better off not using the phone either.
Rooms are nice but small. Not a place I would stay at for these reasons.

June 16th, 2006, 19:26
B2,000/month for electricity, using the aircon "more than usual" doesn't seem so outrageous. If that's quadruple the going rate, then one would expect the "normal" rate to be B500/month???

When I rented an apartment about 5 years ago in BKK, the owner pointed out that because his building was classified a certain way with the electric company he was only charge 3.5b/KWh (not sure of the unit, but I know it was B3.5) versus the residential rate of 5.0b/KWh. Anybody care to do the math to see if TJ was overcharged? <g>

June 16th, 2006, 20:46
Where did you get the 2000 baht figure? Out of your head or a--?
I warned the man he will pay a very high electric rate, my job is finished.

Up2U
June 16th, 2006, 20:57
I warned the man he will pay a very high electric rate, my job is finished.

The 2000 baht figure came from TJ's post for all utilities. I stayed at Mosaik last January-February and I agree with everything in TJ's post. I checked the rates and they were in line with competion. I too paid about 1,500-2,000 for all utilities. I never used the phone since I had my cell phone.

catawampuscat
June 17th, 2006, 00:53
A friend stayed at Mosiak and after questioning the staff about telephone charges, he used his laptop for hours and the charges were
massive.. He was charged for each minute and the bill was incredibly expensive.. Misunderstanding ? or whatever, his experience was
very negative, so don't use your laptop on their telephone lines..
I found the studios depressing as they face a wall, but if you don't look out the windows the room is very nicely furnished and they use leather
furniture and havehuge closets and smartly designed bathrooms..Good location with easy access to Sunee and Boyztown but if the beach is
critical , stay at one of the Jomtien places..No pool, if that is important and they include frequent maid service and linen/towel changes.......

June 17th, 2006, 02:19
I have heard many times that when you "rent".. make sure you pay the elect bill DIRECTLY.. . not through the landlord as they often take on hugh service charge. Something to keep in mind...

June 17th, 2006, 02:22
Wonderful advice, but landlords don't tend to give you a choice.

June 17th, 2006, 10:51
I warned the man he will pay a very high electric rate, my job is finished.So's your online Sawatdee reputation, also, perhaps?

Since you asked me two direct questions, I will comply with answers: (a) I got the B2000 figure from TJ's post. (b) Neither of your two limited choices: I got the B2000 figure from TJ's post.

What's with it with this forum: when someone wants to trash a business recommended by others, they seem to put on absolute blinders?

June 17th, 2006, 11:28
:alien: I have stayed at Mosaik Apartments for two months this year- March and April - and I am pleased to recommend them to you!

The utilites averaged 2,000 baht monthly for my studio...and note that I was probably using the air conditioning more than usual as I spent more time in the apartment while recuperating from my surgery. Maid service is available for 200 baht each time used and clean lnen for the bed and bathroom is 300 baht per change.

Mr TJ utilities ? means more than electricty, like water phone extra?

June 17th, 2006, 11:40
Hiro-San, if you stay in a hotel/guesthouse, you just pay the flat fee which includes everything except telephone calls and mini bar. If you stay in a condo for a time you will normally pay rental plus extra for water, electricty and telephone calls. Sometimes the extra fee is negotiated beforehand or stated as a set amount to be paid on top of rental and sometimes it may be metred and charged for at the end of each month.

travelerjim
June 17th, 2006, 13:52
Hiro san..you asked:

"Mr TJ utilities ? means more than electricty, like water phone extra?"

Yes...the utilities are extra when you have the benefit of a monthly rate vs daily rate...they do rent the studios - if available - at 750 baht daily rate including utilities and maid service daily.

The monthly rate is a base rate plus utilities....in my case it was 10,200 baht for entire month...prorated for time longer than one month...the electricity was about 1,500 baht each month and water was about 500 baht - there were two of us taking showers .....several times daily :-)

As I had my own cell phone I used it and not the room phone.

We had our laptop computer and used a wireless connection using a bluetooth device which connected to my bf's Nokia mobile phone to get an internet connection.....I am always amazed by the computer technology we are experiencing each day... During some days we were able to access wireless connection from the room - it may have been the FREE Niddy's Nook wireless connection we were picking up on our laptop :-)

The local internet dsl access shops are nearby and 30 baht per hour to connect...so did not use the wireless much from the room.

Also, may I add that the local merchants in the area were most helpful to me during my recovery - Niddy's Nook offerred free food nightly brought to my room....Salt & Pepper Thai Restaurant delivered food to my room as well as provided me with transportation to the hospital....The Pennrai Internet Shop across from IT Center - TOPS Market ....checked in on me several times to see if there was anything they could help with...Jaap at the Flamingo Hotel provided transportation to the hospital....Memories provided transportation from the hospital on the discharge day back to my apartment...and so much more...the Security Guards took extra steps to make sure the door was opened as they saw me arrive at the apartments...the management of the apartments were likewise helpful.

I am thankful for all their help as it made my hip replacement surgery recovery of two months staying in the apartments very nice. And of course...to my many friends of Sawatdee Forum who stopped by at the hospital and apartment to extend their good wishes...Thank you All!

TravelerJim
For Affordable International Health & Travel Insurance
Please visit www.tjinsurance.com (http://www.tjinsurance.com) .

June 17th, 2006, 14:08
I asked my friend and he said he paid over 3,000 baht for three weeks stay at this place. I visited often and never found the room that cold. He placed two phone calls to me here in Pattaya but can't remember what they charged him for it. It was high enough to make a wealthy man object.
Several times while there, he was in the office and heard others who were checking out complain loudly about electric rates.

I never try to trash a business. I do offer my two cents if I see a thread way too lop-sided from the facts. Fact reporting is not trashing.

And as for Traveler Jim, have you EVER read anything from him that did not think the service, hotel, restaurant or what-ever was the absolute best in the whole wide world ? He has the best rose-colored glasses of anyone and I envy him. Unfortunately, I see the ugly side of life as well, and report it.

June 17th, 2006, 15:44
I agree with GOOD LAD, I stopped there last year.
My room was on the 2nd floor at the back. The back rooms look out on an awful building, opposite my room, maybe only 12 feet away was a Thia kitchen. You could smell the food 24 hours a day, if the balcony door was opened. Looking to the right and left from the balcony , only rubbish was to be seen.

As for room size you had to edge your way around the bed, only 2 kitchen style chairs. No armchairs to sit on. To look at the TV, you have only the bed to sit on. The so called studios are smaller than the average double hotel room. The bathroom was excellent. The cooking facilities are a joke no pots or pans. Even to make a cup of tea would have been impossible without buying my own kettle. Then it had to be plugged in to a wall socket on the floor. All my kitchen utensil's were borrowed from a friend.

Expensive utiliies. I paid a 5000 Baht deposit, and was given a bill totaling 3800 Baht. 2000 Baht was electric, 1200 phone bill, 600 Baht room service

I stopped for 22 days and it was the most claustrophobic room I have ever stopped in, on the days I had a health problem it was really depressing sitting on a bed trying to watch the TV. How 2 people could live in a room there is beyond me.

Why did I stop that long?? It was high season and every where else was fully booked.

Daniel-old
June 18th, 2006, 06:00
I too stayed at the Mosaik apartments for 30 nights March/April this year and would echo the praise of travelerjim. I took a one bedroom apartment which cost 19,000 baht. I paid 2,300 baht for electricity at 4.5 baht/KWh and the water bill was a negligible 140 baht.

I paid an additional 250 baht per day for the maid to change bed and bathroom linen and clean through the apartment, at the civilised time of 2 pm. Unfortunately, this service was not available on a Sundays.

This was the first time I'd rented for many years, as I sold my apartment earlier this year. I was so pleased with the accommodation that I have booked for another 30 nights October/November.

The location is excellent. A short walk to Sunee or Boyztown. The Luxor Restaurant under the apartments was superb, and just around the corner was the best chicken sandwich in Pattaya at Niddy's Nook.

Daniel

1PR4BKK
June 18th, 2006, 08:03
I appreciate all of the advice from each and every one of you guys. I have confirmed a 2-Room Luxury Apartment at Mosaik. I guess I need to be cognizant of the amount of electricity I used. I have a feeling I will be charged greatly to remain cool throughout my stay (as I cannot sleep in the heat). Since I like to stay clean and wash off the stickiness of the day, I will have a large water bill. As for the phone, I will use my cell or a phone card or something. As for the Internet, I will eat/drink and surf at NiddyтАЩs Nook and other places that have wireless Internet service (thanks American Teacher)

TravelerJim, you seem to have one of the best take on staying at Mosaik. Since I am only using the place to lay my head (and whatever else), clean my body and regroup, I will probably enjoy my stay in a 2-room pad. I keep hearing that the studio has dismal views so I guess I had better upgrade my accommodations.

The only real downsides I see to this whole thing are that I am not as close to the beach as I thought I would be nor do I have the use of a swimming pool. Does anyone know of any place near Mosaik that would let you use their swimming facilities for a nominal fee?

Once I am finally in Pattaya I will be able to scout future places to stay; possibly checking out some of the suggestions made by some of you. But for right now I am just excited to be visiting Pattaya for the first time and cannot wait until I get there.

Once again, THANK YOU ALL for the wonderful suggestions and feedback.

BTW, goodlad, I appreciate all point of views. I certainly need to know about the good, the bad and the ugly side of everything. It is the best way to be prepared for every possible scenario.

lonelywombat
June 18th, 2006, 08:50
The only real downsides I see to this whole thing are that I am not as close to the beach as I thought I would be nor do I have the use of a swimming pool. Does anyone know of any place near Mosaik that would let you use their swimming facilities for a nominal fee?

Montys pool and bar, not to be confused with his B&B is about 200 metres from your hotel
Not only is it very clean but a fun bar when late in the afternoon he lets thais in for free for a swim.
Only cost to you is a drink.

Your location is off the map to the top right side.
This map of Sunee shows Montys pool location
http://www.pattayagay.com/pattaya_maps/mappage1.html

June 18th, 2006, 10:50
I too stayed at the Mosaik apartments for 30 nights ... which cost 19,000 baht. I paid 2,300 baht for electricity at 4.5 baht/KWh and the water bill was a negligible 140 baht.

Is it just me or does the utility bills seem incredibly high. I am staying not far away from Mozaik and my combined water and electricity comes in at around 900 baht per month and I am sure there are other places charging less. I guess Mozaik have their meter tariffs set a little on the high side but it does look lovely from the outside.

June 18th, 2006, 16:16
What's wrong with these pictures? Some seem to be saying they are not representative of the actual situation.

http://mosaik-pattaya.com/

June 18th, 2006, 16:53
[
. How 2 people could live in a room there is beyond me.
[b]
]

The thing that is always beyond me in any of these apartments is how anyone can stay more than a week with just the use of a shower and not a bathtub.

Only once have I managed more than three days in a place without a bathtub ( and that was for only 6 days) .

I know we Poms are cleaner than most other nations so maybe that explains it :bounce:

The prices Fatman quotes 19000 + 2300 for electric + 140 for water when added up is not a great saving on some of the hotels on Second Road where if you book early enough you can easily get a rate of 1000 night for a months stay. That is with Swimming Pool, air con (unmetered), electricity included and all the water you want with bath & shower and of course much closer to the beach.

June 18th, 2006, 19:07
Is Mosail opposire Flamingo Hotel?

June 18th, 2006, 20:09
Management would not post pictures of their small rooms would they now? These are the high end priced rooms you see on the web site.

atri1666
June 18th, 2006, 21:31
Means you need 511 KW/h for one month? I need for my big appartment here in berlin 1800KW/h for one year. I stayed once 1 month in jomtien complex condotel and payed only 487 Baht for electric and water in high season.And I was using the airconditon very much.Seems mosaic appartments is nothing for me.

Dboy
June 19th, 2006, 02:37
Is Mosail opposire Flamingo Hotel?

Yes, that's the place.

Dboy

June 19th, 2006, 06:23
The pictures on the web site do not represent the majority of the Mosaic apartments except for those ghastly gold kitsh statuettes that are on every corner for some unknown reason.

The best that can be said is that they are new, clean and have better TV sets than most 5 star hotels and the price is very reasonable and the location very central. On the whole these apartments, even the closet like studios are acceptable but they do have rather odd lighting. The one my friend stayed in had a dead rat that rotted slowly on a shelf on the opposite building over 6 weeks but that's not really the management's fault.

Management is a bit snooty though particularly when they have so much competition.

June 19th, 2006, 15:41
The pictures on the web site do not represent the majority of the Mosaic apartments except for those ghastly gold kitsh statuettes that are on every corner for some unknown reason.

There must have been a sale on gold statuettes at Kitch R'Us.
Or a box fell off the back of a lorry.

Perhaps one should ask for the room shown in the photo--And see what happens? (I know: 'Dream on.')

Well, it all reminds me of a song Francis Faye used to sign off with:
"Rats in my room, I'm going crazy with these rats in my room... Bye"

June 19th, 2006, 15:46
Frances Faye.

1PR4BKK
June 20th, 2006, 01:23

Perhaps one should ask for the room shown in the photo--And see what happens? (I know: 'Dream on.')

I contacted Mosaik and asked for the "Luxury 2-Room Apartment on Higher Floor". Their response to me via email was they have confirmed an "Exclusive 2-Room Apartment on Higher Floor (4 or 5)". Allegedly, the photos on the website are supposed to be close to the way the rooms really look. I will be able to let you know if the building and room lives up to my expectations. I am not expecting complete luxury here; however, I do expect accommodations well worth the money I pay.

1PR4BKK
June 22nd, 2006, 05:45
Has anyone ever requested a refund of the deposit from Mosaik due to cancellation of reservation?

After consulting with a couple of my friends and reading all of the replies to this thread, I have rethought staying at Mosaik. Any suggestions are very much welcomed.

American Teacher-old
June 22nd, 2006, 08:15
Has anyone ever requested a refund of the deposit from Mosaik due to cancellation of reservation?

After consulting with a couple of my friends and reading all of the replies to this thread, I have rethought staying at Mosaik. Any suggestions are very much welcomed.

I wouldn't cancel either. It is true that the electric payments are a bit high -- but it is a very nice accomodation and I think you'll agree -- well worth it. Sometimes the members of this board are a bit too critical, and also they are all on VERY different budgets. So if the asking price is within reason for YOU -- then keep it. You will enjoy your stay.

Best of luck!
-Chris

June 22nd, 2006, 17:12
Frances Faye.

http://movies.aol.com/celebrity/frances ... 0000000009 (http://movies.aol.com/celebrity/frances-faye/22900/main?sem=1&ncid=AOLMOV00170000000009)

She was a saloon singer, recording artist with a gay\lesbian following.

Drunk with love,
my heads aspin
on cheap whiskey, wine and gin;
everynight I stagger in;
he loves me drunk...
with love.

Every morning, night or day
in some nightclub or caf├й
you will find me, just that way
he loves me drunk...
with love.

Every day when I awake, I think I'll end it
but then I feel his lips
his finger tips
and who could end it?

I know that someday, he'll walk out my door.
Well, I guess that's what doors are for--
And then he'll slam it
and he'll say
GOD DAMN IT!
he loves me
because I'm drunk...
with love....

She appeared in a few movies: Played the madam in Pretty Baby.

June 22nd, 2006, 17:24
This page explores her sexuality a bit more:

http://www.glbtq.com/arts/faye_f.html

June 22nd, 2006, 19:59

You wouldn't want to go to Needy Crooks then.

June 23rd, 2006, 15:41
If you believe some posters, go ahead and stay at the Mosaik. The electricity rates will be outrageous, but if you can afford it, no matter.
What kind of advice is that? I can't believe what some guys write on this forum. What rubbish.

1PR4BKK
June 23rd, 2006, 17:49
I wouldn't cancel either. It is true that the electric payments are a bit high -- but it is a very nice accomodation and I think you'll agree -- well worth it. Sometimes the members of this board are a bit too critical, and also they are all on VERY different budgets. So if the asking price is within reason for YOU -- then keep it. You will enjoy your stay.

If you believe some posters, go ahead and stay at the Mosaik. The electricity rates will be outrageous, but if you can afford it, no matter.
What kind of advice is that? I can't believe what some guys write on this forum. What rubbish.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think it would probably be a hassle to get my money back for the deposit so I might as well stay at Mosaik.

If the higher priced room are as nice as they represent on the website then I will not worry about price. I am not so much pressed about the price as I am about comfort. To be honest, I thought the price was quite reasonable from the start. Even with the price of electricity I think I am going to be quite satisfied. To quote American_Teacher, "people are on VERY different budgets".

BTW, goodlad, I still appreciate you telling it like it is, because I know to expect a rough Electric bill but still a nice place to stay. I can deal with thatтАжthis time.

While I am there and if I decide to come back, I can scout out other properties and areas suitable for me.