PDA

View Full Version : White elephants

Davey612
June 15th, 2006, 23:05
No, I don't mean the owner of this forum, even if he likes elephants a lot.

Anyway, just trying to change the serious nature of the recent topics. I was cruising the highway when I started researching for white elephants. Some people are already claiming that the Airbus A380 is one. Maybe farang-owned homes will become white elephants too?

But I stumble onto this entry: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTMS_Chakri_Nareubet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTMS_Chakri_Nareubet). Found it funny that there is actually a White elephant flag. :bounce:

June 15th, 2006, 23:54
Yes.. I don't know about a white elephant.. but the Airbus A380 is definitely turning out to be a big sales Turkey. Which is great for me.. my Boeing Stock is going through the roof! hehe

Smiles
June 16th, 2006, 00:33
Airbus having it's problems with numerous delays in the A-380 delivery dates: AIRBUS WOES (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060615.RAIRBUSSIDE15/TPStory/?query=airbus)

Heads at Airbus are going to roll. But over at Boeing the sales of 777's and 787's are heading, er, skyward (as is the stock).

Cheers ...

jinks
June 16th, 2006, 02:29
Be careful here, as in the State Coat of Arms...

All White Elephants belong to The King.

Bob
June 16th, 2006, 07:29
The average Airbus plane seems adequate enough but nothing special or that different to me. What I can't believe is the
behemouth A380 is ever going to be successful. Too damn big (400 people on a 747 is bad enough but 600-800 on an A380?!?). How are they ever going get enough of the world's airports to retrofit to add the double-decker tunnels (that's gotta be damn expensive!). And, for international travel, I sure as hell don't want to come out last of a A380 and hit the customs desks (it's bad enough sometimes as it is).

And, god forbid, one of these behemouths ever crashes, the publicity will probably end the program there. Airbus, in my view,
has made a very unwise choice with this model.

Smiles
June 16th, 2006, 07:54
" ... And, for international travel, I sure as hell don't want to come out last of a A380 and hit the customs desks (it's bad enough sometimes as it is) ... "
At Don Muang you gotta know the ropes . . . and thank christ 90% of the folks landing there (with me!) are first-timers and have no clue where to head once they get out of the shuttle buses (?? United from Tokyo!) or ~ much better! ~ out the off-ramp doors (EVA from Taipae).

While the poor schmucks loaded down with 2 or 3 carry-on bags, 4 kids, and a Big-Haired whining wife look dazed, bewildered and hopelessly lost the few of us who know exactly where to head first are already sprinting for the immigration lines . . . I'm already saying "sawatdee kap" to a blank-eyed Thai dude behind the desk, while a 747-load of Thailand newbies are pouring out into the big hall wondering which goddamn line-up to get into (seeing as how they already all have 50 goddamn folks in front of them! Goddamnit!!).

For some reason Don Muang seems much more efficient at getting the luggage onto the carousels than some other cities (Seattle & Vancouver can both be a pain in the ass fairly often), and lucky me is often in the arms of the beloved long before the line ups of sweaty and bitchy Amurcans and Chinese way back behind me have moved 5 or 6 feet.

Cheers ...

June 16th, 2006, 18:47
I am an Amurcan and there are times that I am notbitchy.

TrongpaiExpat
June 16th, 2006, 19:34
At Don Muang you gotta know the ropes . . .

yes

Dam it, just as I got to know all the in's and out's they are closing the dam place. I will have an all new airport to learn.