PDA

View Full Version : Is DJ Station open (restricted hours) or totally closed ?

Nirish guy
June 5th, 2014, 05:06
So, as the title suggests whilst I'm aware that Bangkok is still under midnight curfew etc I was just wondering if DJ Station is opening at all at the minute, with it perhaps either opening maybe slightly earlier to keep SOME income coming in for his owners and staff and maybe closing by 12 etc or is it just not opening at all at present, likewise then I guess the same question applies re the other various bars in the Soi 2 complex too I guess. Anyone know ?

gregvc
June 5th, 2014, 22:41
GOD and DJ's closed. Taxis hard to get after 11pm. They may only take customers on the home route after 11pm. Some gas stations close. As farangs get desperate they have to pay a bigger fare to get back to their hotel..

Nirish guy
June 5th, 2014, 22:54
Thanks for the update gregvc - just purely out of interest ( as I'm assuming that you're in Bangkok) what ( if anything) actually happens if you DONT happen to manage to make it home by midnight due to not being able to get a taxi or just not bothering - are the army ACTUALLY arresting farang off the streets or is there a blind eye being turned with a quiet "hurry up and get off the streets as soon as you can" message being given ??

gregvc
June 5th, 2014, 23:49
the army is turning a blind eye to farang but the message is firm to get off the streets. Harder for Thais. A real jam from 7 to 9pm with people all wanting to get home safely. Things can change quickly in post coup. Just need one shooting and things can become very shakey. The army boys seem all so young and it was reported that some cry when faced with protestors. I was at Victory Monument tonight and it is a little unnerving to pass soldiers with rifles on the skywalkways. The coup is not a joke and farangs sensibilities are not the main concern of the govt.

June 6th, 2014, 05:00
The army boys seem all so young and it was reported that some cry when faced with protestors.Theres been A report that ONE soldier cried when faced with protesters.

corky
June 6th, 2014, 06:44
What a very exciting and exotic life gregvc must lead.
I also live in Bangkok and I work in the Silom area. I have not seen one soldier or one policeman since the coup started.

gregvc
June 6th, 2014, 10:44
You really need to get out from the sex area. More to bkk thsn that. Open your eyes, I saw dozens last night.

lego
June 6th, 2014, 13:13
I haven't seen soldiers often either, but last Sunday they came to "visit" the area where I'm living in droves, because a protest was planned for a shopping mall nearby. I think gregvc is spot on, so far things have been pretty quiet but there's no guarantee that this won't change. And when it does, it could indeed happen quickly.

As for the curfew, last weekend I reprimanded a Thai friend who came to visit me at 1:30am. He knew what I was talking about, but sort of brushed it aside. He had no problem to get a taxi to take him from his area to mine (well past midnight, when the curfew starts), but that's not a given. Also, in the unlikely event that the taxi is stopped by soldiers on patrol, I'd imagine you'd need some good excuse at the very least.

Shuee
June 9th, 2014, 23:56
isnt there an alternative to this sardine tin that must be more enjoyable? do we actually enjoy the thought of never getting out if there was a fire, & unable to move on the lower floor, & minimal movement on the upper floor as we try to cling onto our drinks whilst trying to maneuver?

christianpfc
June 10th, 2014, 12:00
Last week, I noticed Soi 2 is open around 10 pm and there were some customers inside. But I won't go to DJ because I expect little activity, I will postpone all late-night entertainment until the curfew is over.

This morning, between midnight and 00:30, I was walking from Silom to Sathorn and traffic was normal, as if there was no curfew. Plenty of empty taxis (but don't know if they would use the meter).

Shuee, I only go to DJ on weekdays; on weekends it's too full and I cannot move around. And it's cheaper on weekdays (150 vs 300 Baht). I am not claustrophobic, but weekends in DJ are not for me.

christianpfc
June 11th, 2014, 09:55
Update: I happened to be in the area (a lie, I go there deliberately) yesterday night and can report the following:

23:30 Soi 4 maybe 20 customers in all venues combined
23:40 groups of gogo boys fully dressed Surawong (unusual for that time), Patpong night market in disassembly
23:50 Soi Twilight half of the bars closed already, others closing, more boys leaving; Screwboys closing
24:00 Soi 4 dark and empty; Soi 2/1 dark and empty
00:10 some people in Soi 2 and lights on, but before I can think about how to express my intention that I just want to go in the soi to have a look, the guard tells me it's closed
still plenty of people and cars around on the streets

All venues seem to follow the curfew.

Balcony
June 11th, 2014, 16:20
What did you expect from your survey?

You visit Soi 4 on a Tuesday night, traditionally one of the quietest nights in the pub trade all over the world. This is because people usually work on Wednesday and need to sleep.
You visit at a time of year that is well known for being the depths of the low season.
You visit at a time when we are starting to close because our staff must be able to make their journey home in time to beat the curfew.
Yes, we follow the rules of the curfew тАУ it is of no benefit to risk compulsory closure; risk loss of licenses; risk fines and possible imprisonment just to sell an extra beer or two. We follow the rules so that our customers and staff are safe.

It is a challenging time for the pub, club and entertainment industry but people are adapting and coming out earlier than usual. Many places are making efforts to attract customers with special offers and cut prices. Currently we are offering a 100 Baht food voucher for customers who spend 500 Baht; we have offers on Draught Chang, Beer Lao, Bottles of Vodka and Bacardi Breezer. Other venues in Soi 4 also have special deals for their customers.

If you want to make a fair comparison, conduct your survey on Friday or Saturday to see how many customers are in the Soi at 23.30 on those days. Last weekend we had difficulty getting them to go by midnight.

Brad the Impala
June 11th, 2014, 19:41
What did you expect from your survey?

I think that Christian expected to provide some information, to those of us who were interested, on what effect the curfew was having on that day at that time. Which he did with his usual efficiency, as you seem to acknowledge.

scottish-guy
June 12th, 2014, 19:20
Brad is exactly right - Christian merely recorded what he saw walking round the area on a specific day at a specific time and made no suggestion that it represented anything more than that.

I was disappointed that he was unable to buy a cake and tell us the price mind you, or bump into any Burmese transexuals - but you cannot expect to have every delight in one short post.

If we are talking about tourists or potential tourists then a Tuesday night is as good a night to comment on as any other - and they (like BKK residents) have sufficient common sense to realise that Fr/Sat nights are busier than a Tuesday.

If businesses, such as Balcony, are concerned that a false impression is given (by omission, as Christian would not do it by design) then they have the answer in their own hands via blogs like Nicky's, their own websites, and the various forums - which is the route Balcony has taken on this occasion and credit to them for doing so.

LoveThailand
June 12th, 2014, 19:34
Thanks to Christian and Balcony for useful information. If by the time I visit curfew is still in effect, information about actual state of things and trends in customer behaviors and response from businesses will help me adjust my plans when I am in the country.

Nirish guy
June 13th, 2014, 01:09
Thankfully looks like it's about to be announced that the curfew is about to be lifted Country wide shortly to allow for viewing of the World Cup etc so hopefully that'll will be DJ etc all back to full swing in no time - and with some added vigour too I'm guessing as the Bangkok boys let their hair down again - and all in time for my trip in 10 days - what perfect timing, how very decent of the Army :-)

lukylok
June 13th, 2014, 02:06
Thankfully looks like it's about to be announced that the curfew is about to be lifted Country wide shortly to allow for viewing of the World Cup etc so hopefully that'll will be DJ etc all back to full swing in no time - and with some added vigour too I'm guessing as the Bangkok boys let their hair down again - and all in time for my trip in 10 days - what perfect timing, how very decent of the Army :-)
I do hope your information is correct.
I arrive in 12 days and my BS is eating his heart out in CM ! Curfew there is VERY hurtful

newalaan2
June 13th, 2014, 02:26
Update at 11.45pm Thurs 12th June. DJ station open! Bt150 for 1 drink tonite. About 5% full, nobody above ground floor, only 2 of the bars open, but light show and tunes excellent! JJ Park busier. Soi 2 has LOTS of thai lads looking for(desperate for) farang company! even Manforallseasons might stand a chance.....well....?? I didn't see any Thai man-boys looking for washed-out old gin-soaked farang queens, but u never know!

Soi 4 busy enough, in fact busier than expected considering "the situation". Soi Twilight quiet....the Asians have deserted!! But one or two beer bars in the soi open until 2am...wink wink.

Manforallseasons
June 13th, 2014, 02:56
[quote="newalaan2"]Update at 11.45pm Thurs 12th June. DJ station open! Bt150 for 1 drink tonite. About 5% full, nobody above ground floor, only 2 of the bars open, but light show and tunes excellent!

Wow so exciting, and you are busy posting. :))

newalaan2
June 13th, 2014, 03:45
but light show and tunes excellent!
Wow so exciting, and you are busy posting Thanks for that example of "Irony Impairment" MFAS. I think you need a man-boy to get that rectal-brain of yoorz back in working order again....and Toot-sweet! all this talk of you being a 'toupee short of a full head of hair'......is that literal or simply true?

washed-out old gin-soaked farang queens
Your reply is a bit testy, did you perhaps recognise yourself in that description?

Manforallseasons
June 13th, 2014, 04:18
Alaana others say your just nasty I never thought so, I always just thought you were a boring wanker easy to play with.

Smiles
June 13th, 2014, 04:23
" ... I always just thought you were a boring wanker easy to play with ... "
... and so presumably, kicking in (or out) toilet doors is an example of a 'not-boring' wanker?
Actually, drunk enough, I might even agree with that.

Don't forget: if you come back with a snarky retort on this you could well be accused of being "easy to play with". ;)

Manforallseasons
June 13th, 2014, 04:34
Smiles you might be a has been but at least you've maintained the remnants of a sense of humor. (-:

Nirish guy
June 13th, 2014, 18:45
Update at 11.45pm Thurs 12th June. DJ station open!

So, although thankfully it appears the curfew may be lifted later today (Friday) country wide just out of interest you note DJ was open at 11.45pm - did you stay on past midnight and did they flout / ignore the curfew then at that point Newallan ( as they were maybe told things were about to change anyway ??)